• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead by Daylight |OT| - We Failed the DST Skill Checks

That's on the devs that they allowed that constant window jumping, same with jumping out from the buildings, survivors shouldn't be able to do that without a penalty.
The penalty is that the more they do it, the slower they perform that action. I don't know the hidden cooldowns for it, though.

I've been watching this since yesterday and really like what I see. I'm so close to jumping in but I have this fear that they're going to mess it up with patches and balancing.

I guess there's always the option to refund but I'd rather avoid that completely.
It seems like a passion project for these guys, and they're very aware and open about issues the game has on their weekly twitch streams. They pretty much always address or mention the issues. I'm sure if they fuck up the game somehow with balance changes, they won't leave it like that for long. That's just my inference, though. I never played the alpha or beta, but things changed between each build, iirc. Once, apparently, you could sabotage every hook before with one toolbox and only leave the basement hooks for the killer to use, and they fixed that. And I think Survivors were even better at hopping over windows/pallets than they are now, but I can't be too sure. Maybe someone else wants to pitch in?

It's your money and I don't know your money situation, but $16 (If you have Payday 2) for a game you'll enjoy with friends... it's not a bad deal. If you're only going to play solo, it's still not a bad purchase, but maybe you'll want to wait. Once the Survive with Friends mode gets added, we can get some GAF games going.

voodooray

The penalty is that the more they do it, the slower they perform that action. I don't know the hidden cooldowns for it, though.

I don't think there is any cooldown on how many times a person can vault. I agree some limit on how many times you can do it in a short space of time would be good. In the meantime, the developers responded to this complaint from the beta by small map changes (eg: when a room had 2 windows before, it now only has one window and a breakable obstacle).

As a tip, when playing killer, do not get baited into an endless chase with a survivor in that situation, and break anything they drop down. You will still get blood points for the effort. High level killers deliberately 'play with their food' in this way, so as to earn the most amount of points per level.

It seems like a passion project for these guys, and they're very aware and open about issues the game has on their weekly twitch streams. They pretty much always address or mention the issues.

Yeah, I was definitely surprised to see that substantial patch drop on Friday which went a good way to fix a lot of the issues at launch, especially considering that many of the devs them were also at E3. Hopefully, following patches will come quickly to address the remaining glitches, especially ragequits.

It seems like a passion project for these guys, and they're very aware and open about issues the game has on their weekly twitch streams. They pretty much always address or mention the issues. I'm sure if they fuck up the game somehow with balance changes, they won't leave it like that for long. That's just my inference, though. I never played the alpha or beta, but things changed between each build, iirc. Once, apparently, you could sabotage every hook before with one toolbox and only leave the basement hooks for the killer to use, and they fixed that. And I think Survivors were even better at hopping over windows/pallets than they are now, but I can't be too sure. Maybe someone else wants to pitch in?

It's your money and I don't know your money situation, but $16 (If you have Payday 2) for a game you'll enjoy with friends... it's not a bad deal. If you're only going to play solo, it's still not a bad purchase, but maybe you'll want to wait. Once the Survive with Friends mode gets added, we can get some GAF games going.

Yeah, I ended up picking it up and am enjoying it. Has a steep learning curve, for sure, but can be quite satisfying. It's difficult to describe, maybe something like The Last of Us x The Hidden?

Would love to see an unranked mode as ranked seems to promote lame play. Farming points, rage quitting AND it resets in a month anyways?

C'mon.

Just had a match where I went down and laid in a bush bleeding out while the whole squad got wiped, then once they were all gone I managed to crawl to the hatch and jump in with about a pixel of life left.

I'd say it's a passion project for the the Last Year devs. F13 and DBD devs are clearly copying them and DBD was rushed to the market.

Not saying that it's not a fun game or that the devs won't improve it.

sleepykyo

I'd say it's a passion project for the the Last Year devs. F13 and DBD devs are clearly copying them and DBD was rushed to the market.

Not saying that it's not a fun game or that the devs won't improve it.

Interesting that the Last Year's developers took the approach of the killer moving slower. That was pretty much one of the running jokes in Friaday the 13th, that Jason moved considerably slower than the people he somehow overtakes. I wonder how it'll play out in practice.

voodooray

A 'Dev update and progress info' was posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/381210/discussions/0/358415206100588165/

In short, bug fixes, balance tweaks, survive with your friends in ranked play are all being worked on.

This was interesting:

We also have people working on new content, at the same time. We want to provide you with new killers, new survivors and new maps. This is, for us, a very important thing. We want this game to be alive and to stay exciting to play. By adding more content, more variations, we can make sure the game is always fun to play. It will grow and get deeper and more satisfying. At least that’s the plan.

So that’s what we’re up to. We intend to patch the game every week, fixing bugs and balancing things we think are not right. There will not be new features or new content every week but the game will constantly get better.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
A 'Dev update and progress info' was posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/381210/discussions/0/358415206100588165/

In short, bug fixes, balance tweaks, survive with your friends in ranked play are all being worked on.

This was interesting:

Apparently the game has sold over 200,000 copies so far (getting close to 250,000 copies), which is good for an indie game priced at $19.99 with no major discounts. As such, I think they plan to support it to keep community up, get more content, and new buyers as well, which is great news.

I know they said they wanted to do more, but now with it being a decent seller, I bet they can continue to support it, which I look forward to. I've been holding off playing myself until you can earn experience playing with friends.

Good thing playerbase seems active. Says over 11,000 people are playing this right now as we speak.

I need to get this, looks so much fun. Do we have a Steam GAF group?

I'm wondering this too. I just bought it but I'd really love to play with some people here to learn the game without any pressure. Doesn't seem like there's any matchmaking by rank.
I thought about making one, but I figured that until Survive with Friends came out, no one would be interested. And I assumed most people would already be playing with friends, which is why those who aren't could just use the thread to ask if anyone wants to party up.

Love blooms everywhere!

For those twiddling their thumbs while the Steam store is dead (well, for me at least), catch up on the dev stream to here what they are up to in 10 mins:

https://www.twitch.tv/deadbydaylight
Tuning in, thanks.

Anyone else getting disconnects in private lobbies, by the way? I finally managed to convince enough friends to get the game to play last night, but some of us were randomly getting affected by DCs. I've actually never been affected by DCs this badly.

So, this happened:

AB38A7F197D256CD66914C935472A7CF88F94D64

Last one alive and the killer hounds me, hits me, then I lose him. Soon after he incaps me as I'm trying to find the hatch, but there seem to be no hooks nearby, so he does the whole pick up/drop strategy on me so I don't escape. He was taunting me because he would take me near the hatch, drop me, pick me up, then walk me away and drop me again. I would crawl back to the hatch and he would pick me up, but I was almost done wriggling free; and he and I both knew he was fucked, haha (I hope).

He tried to mitigate his situation by rearranging one trap (there were three!), but he did it while I was REALLY close to the hatch. This is where timing was absolutely perfect and I crawled myself to victory just as he finished setting the trap, but he actually did grab me a split second after. It was actually a good thing I was downed because there was no animation when escaping the hatch, but the timing was so close I got the above for a while before the results screen showed up. I was fucking ecstatic, haha. I even got an achievement, so that was a nice surprise.

I haven't tested it yet, but do you trigger bear traps when you're downed? I was actually trying to avoid them, but doing so might have given me the time I needed.

voodooray

So, this happened:

Last one alive and the killer hounds me, hits me, then I lose him. Soon after he incaps me as I'm trying to find the hatch, but there seem to be no hooks nearby, so he does the whole pick up/drop strategy on me so I don't escape. He was taunting me because he would take me near the hatch, drop me, pick me up, then walk me away and drop me again. I would crawl back to the hatch and he would pick me up, but I was almost done wriggling free; and he and I both knew he was fucked, haha (I hope).

He tried to mitigate his situation by rearranging one trap (there were three!), but he did it while I was REALLY close to the hatch. This is where timing was absolutely perfect and I crawled myself to victory just as he finished setting the trap, but he actually did grab me a split second after. It was actually a good thing I was downed because there was no animation when escaping the hatch, but the timing was so close I got the above for a while before the results screen showed up. I was fucking ecstatic, haha. I even got an achievement, so that was a nice surprise.

I haven't tested it yet, but do you trigger bear traps when you're downed? I was actually trying to avoid them, but doing so might have given me the time I needed.

Lol, that's great, congrats! I had a similar encounter with a killer who taunted me by showing where the hatch was, but I was able to wriggle free and use it before he could catch me. Thanks killer!

Yeah you would have been fine, as you don't trigger bear traps when downed.

Carcetti

Amazing game, I can't understand why this won't get more attention. I haven't played any multiplayer game more than this in the last year.

It's funny hearing high level killers (Wraith) complaining that survivors have it too easy.

Things they want changed:

- Remove self-heal
- Remove all infinites
- Remove barriers

Without self-heal and barriers, survivors have no way of outrunning (Meg 150% speed boost the exception). The flashlight is utterly useless. The trap-door can be camped.

Things that are overpowered for the killer:

- Iron Grasp (when upgraded almost impossible to break free)
- No One Escapes Death (completely broken)

Survivors are encouraged to remain in the map after the exit is open to farm points. Once the exit is open, point scoring should be reduced greatly.

I feel the game is unbalanced (relies too heavily on perks).

voodooray

It's funny hearing high level killers (Wraith) complaining that survivors have it too easy.

Yeah, its funny to hear this complaint, and vice versa from high level survivors. The human element alone is enough to make most matches unpredictable, when players of comparable levels are pitted against each other.

What isn't fun, is when a woefully mismatched game occurs when you are matching someone with no perks against someone fully loaded. I believe the devs said that they are expecting the changes that will come with the rank reset later this week to address this.

The flashlight is utterly useless.

I thought this too, until I saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lApWbPErZg8

Not only demonstrating how and when to use the flashlight, but also highlighting an extremely aggressive style of survivor-play that I hadn't considered before.

Things that are overpowered for the killer:

- Iron Grasp (when upgraded almost impossible to break free)
- No One Escapes Death (completely broken)

Iron Grasp - I think it should force the killer to perform some kind of reverse skill check to counter a users attempt to escape. Right now, you can only escape if you happen to be very far away from hooks.

No One Escapes - Not sure about this. On the one hand, I'd like to see this reduced to a less than certain chance of 1-hit downing survivors. 100% is too much. But then, the gates have to be powered for this to kick in anyway, and Meg's Adrenaline perk to instantly heal from an injured state + temporary 150% movement speed when the same condition happens is too OP.

And to add to your list:

Spies from the Shadows - Really powerful, which any killer can get. Its hard counter is Calm Spirit, which only Jake can get. It should be moved into the category that every survivor can learn.

BTW here are nice images to easily show which perks all characters can get, and which are character specific in the case of survivors:

http://imgur.com/a/bxLNr

No doubt there are other perks that people consider imbalanced which I'd like to hear.

Survivors are encouraged to remain in the map after the exit is open to farm points. Once the exit is open, point scoring should be reduced greatly.

There is a risk v reward situation here that promotes some fun encounters for taking the chance. Though I'll admit, I've had many games where my greed got the better of me =)

I feel the game is unbalanced (relies too heavily on perks).

I'm very interested to see what changes once the season wipe happens. Hopefully they will address this.

Ricker

Amazing game, I can't understand why this won't get more attention. I haven't played any multiplayer game more than this in the last year.

Sounds more like a game to watch on Twitch for now because of all the bugs,steep learning curve,and glitches...once they fix it,it might catch on but these hard as fuck indie games aren't everyone's cup of tea.(me included).

Carcetti

Sounds more like a game to watch on Twitch for now because of all the bugs,steep learning curve,and glitches...once they fix it,it might catch on but these hard as fuck indie games aren't everyone's cup of tea.(me included).

I don't think that really describes the game. I'm terrible at it, no chance of ever getting the highest ranks, but I'm having a really good time with it still. Maybe it's because I love bad horror movies but the whole style of the game is really appealing. The game itself isn't even very glitchy, the 90% problem parts are in the matchmaking.

What makes this game for me is the thrill of creeping inside a cornfield, fearing an unpredictable human killer, and hoping to make it out as the Final Girl. Which sometimes even happens.

LUXURY

This party system needs to happen now. A friend and I want to play together with others, not in a private match.

voodooray

This party system needs to happen now. A friend and I want to play together with others, not in a private match.

It will be in the next patch:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/381210/announcements/detail/960773883817763465

Really??

Yes, really.

For those of you who followed our Twitch sessions and previous announcements, you have an idea just how challenging that piece of the game was to make.
In the patch notes, Stefan explains how this is the barebones version of the feature. It works, you'll be able to play with your friends in a ranked game but it is not yet in its final form.
We weighted the urgency of your need versus the stability and usability of the feature and decided to release it in its current state. We will continue to improve it in the future.

Now go and make poor survival choices together!

Just waiting for all the bitching to start about games containing nothing but coordinated farming strategies now =)

Edit: Patch notes:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/381210/discussions/0/365172547953783669/

1.0.3 Patch Notes

BUG FIXES
Fixed entity visible at the start of the hook sequence
Fixed interruption on hatch causing the survivor to turn invisible

FEATURES
Added support for Survivor With Friends (V1)

Survive With Friends (V1)
This initial implementation of Survive With Friends will allow for a group of survivors to be created and to matchmake into a ranked lobby together. It should be used in a similar fashion as the Kill Your Friends Mode:
Have a survivor (host) created click Survive With Friends from the Main Menu
As the host, invite other survivors to the lobby.
Once the party is formed, have all players ready-up. This will triggered the matchmaking process and transition the party to an online lobby.

Note: After playing a game, the survivor group will be automatically disbanded and all members will be returned to their single player survivor lobby. We are working on maintaining the party between games, and you can expect this to come in a follow up patch.

There should be a point multiplier for survivors who's teammates disconnected. Had two matches today where 2 of the survivors disconnected just a couple of minutes into the game. I like the fact that killers now get points for disconnecting survivors but it just doesn't feel fair that the killer will get to rank up for the disconnects while the remaining survivors will most likely down-rank. This is partially why I'm against down-ranking rank systems in games with a heavy emphasis on teamwork.

RevenWolf

There should be a point multiplier for survivors who's teammates disconnected. Had two matches today where 2 of the survivors disconnected just a couple of minutes into the game. I like the fact that killers now get points for disconnecting survivors but it just doesn't feel fair that the killer will get to rank up for the disconnects while the remaining survivors will most likely down-rank. This is partially why I'm against down-ranking rank systems in games with a heavy emphasis on teamwork.

I agree, if I'm going to lose, at least I could earn decent points!

Hasney

Just stumbled across this due to New Legacy Inc playing it and holy shit this is tense, I'm shit but I'm loving it.

Daunt

Neo Member
It's a fun and different experience. I haven't played many horror games, let alone any pvp ones, so Dead By Daylight is nice to mess around with.

Gilzor

It's such an interesting game. I'm not going to criticise anyone for playing it a certain way, but I've put a lot of time into this and never once played it with friends. Just randoms. I've also seen and enjoyed a ton of streams consisting of friends playing together, yelling and screaming at each other, but for me, it's at it's best when all you're with randoms and really have to concentrate on the ambiance and atmosphere.

Hasney

Got my first perfect as the killer last night with no engines fired up. Was Wraith and got my first victim early and managed to get them in the basement, so popped back upstairs cloaked and just watched the stairs as people went to make the save and ended them.

There's some changes needed to some things, like a couple of the maps have loops where the killer can't just keep up due to the vaults, but I've found all 3 killers a blast to play and the survivors just tense as fuck.

Cimarron

Only 2 pages!?! I am surprised. This game is very popular on Twitch and Youtube at the moment. I really like this game. The one thing that is great is that the developers get the whole 4 vs 1 asynchronus gameplay thing. It remeinds of a reverse Evolve thriller. I like how each survivor has thier own skill set that can help the team but at the same time you can solo and have multiples of the same character and still win. The biggest flaw of Evolve is that each class had to be played by someone. I like Evolve but i only like to play support and medic. It totally turns me off when I am forced to play as a monster or a class that I don't like. This game rocks! And it is cheap. :)

Carcetti

I'm absolutely, totally in love with this game despite the frustrating aspects like the worst juke spots (3-window house, slaughterhouse, the goddamn bus, the tree... wish all these vanished forever and stopped turning chases into Benny Hill skits.).

At first I played only survivors and found out I'm mediocre at it. Then went trapper, got better, and now last time finally wraith which I seem to be great at. The psychological aspect of controlling the match with the threat of you 'maybe being there' is amazing and you can create so many more chases and situations that everyone gets good points.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm absolutely, totally in love with this game despite the frustrating aspects like the worst juke spots (3-window house, slaughterhouse, the goddamn bus, the tree... wish all these vanished forever and stopped turning chases into Benny Hill skits.).

At first I played only survivors and found out I'm mediocre at it. Then went trapper, got better, and now last time finally wraith which I seem to be great at. The psychological aspect of controlling the match with the threat of you 'maybe being there' is amazing and you can create so many more chases and situations that everyone gets good points.

Man, the tree is the most obnoxious shit. It's literally impossible to catch someone once they're there (unless they're super sloppy). The 3-window house at least requires the survivors to be on point with their timings.

Anyways, I've done really good progress using The Wraith. Flying up through the ranks now. I found a strat that seems to work pretty well for the most part.

Cimarron

I don't get the hate for "infinite juke" spots. If a survivor gets to a infinite juke and the killer decides to waste his time chasing him.... that's poor strategy on the killers part. Let them go and go chase after the other survivors. don't be distracted. If they are the last one wait them out or chase them down. eventually some one will screw up or get tired. Its a valid strategy. Just like hook camping. Aggravating but not game breaking.

Coverly

Only 2 pages!?! I am surprised. This game is very popular on Twitch and Youtube at the moment. I really like this game. The one thing that is great is that the developers get the whole 4 vs 1 asynchronus gameplay thing. It remeinds of a reverse Evolve thriller. I like how each survivor has thier own skill set that can help the team but at the same time you can solo and have multiples of the same character and still win. The biggest flaw of Evolve is that each class had to be played by someone. I like Evolve but i only like to play support and medic. It totally turns me off when I am forced to play as a monster or a class that I don't like. This game rocks! And it is cheap. :)

Kind of shocked too that it's only 2 pages and I had to google to get to this OT, plus I agree with everything you said. Saw this game for the first time this weekend on twitch and I ended up watching a couple of streamers for a few hours. Angrypug was specially hilarious when he was playing and drinking. At least from a spectator perspective, it is pretty awesome. I'm going to get the game when I get home since it's only 20 bucks.

Hasney

I don't get the hate for "infinite juke" spots. If a survivor gets to a infinite juke and the killer decides to waste his time chasing him.... that's poor strategy on the killers part. Let them go and go chase after the other survivors. don't be distracted. If they are the last one wait them out or chase them down. eventually some one will screw up or get tired. Its a valid strategy. Just like hook camping. Aggravating but not game breaking.

Until survivors on your team just hang around there to get the killer to chase and rack up points for doing very little. A couple of them are near the trapdoor too, so they just tend to wait around for everyone else to die or do the work for them so they can get enough points for a rank increase.

Lots of problems with this game still.

Played 14 games as survivor (Meg) last night:

Good Games

- Won 4 (Rank 20/17/18/20 killers)
- Lost 3 (Rank 20/14/17 killers)

Awful Games

- Lost 2 because the killer rage quit
- Lost 2 because of the killer lagging so badly
- Lost 3 because of the piss poor matchmaking (Rank 4/7/8 killers)

So I lost 10 of the 14 games, and only felt like I was at fault for 3 of those losses.

When the game works, it is brilliant.

Cimarron

Yeah the game is still buggy. I lose more often than I win (survivor) But I still have a great time. I don't think they should allow the killer to be able to see the levels and rank of the survivors. I hope the sales keep up. Some polish and this will be one of my GOAT's.

drotahorror

This game's community is one of the worst I've seen honestly. I can deal with name calling and shit but just taunting me all day is some horseshit.

Yeah I get it, I suck, I've played 3 or 4 games as a killer and have zero perks, I'm level 1, rank 20, you have all your perk slots you're fuckin amazing and play ALL DAY and I play for an hour or two a week.

Just leave the game when the exit's open don't waste my time. Don't sit at the exit and teabag constantly until I show up. Wtf is wrong with you?

This is not a one time thing. This is E.V.E.R.Y. game. No exaggerating. The only people that play this game, play all day like it's a damn MMO. Barrier for entry is so hardcore it is useless to play this game at this point.

GAF as a community doesn't seem to want to embrace this game, which makes me sad. :(

Because the only people that play this game are morons like me. GAF as a majority has much better taste. I'm the problem.

Hasney

This game's community is one of the worst I've seen honestly. I can deal with name calling and shit but just taunting me all day is some horseshit.

Yeah I get it, I suck, I've played 3 or 4 games as a killer and have zero perks, I'm level 1, rank 20, you have all your perk slots you're fuckin amazing and play ALL DAY and I play for an hour or two a week.

Just leave the game when the exit's open don't waste my time. Don't sit at the exit and teabag constantly until I show up. Wtf is wrong with you?

This is not a one time thing. This is E.V.E.R.Y. game. No exaggerating. The only people that play this game, play all day like it's a damn MMO. Barrier for entry is so hardcore it is useless to play this game at this point.

They're not taunting, they get more points for escaping you again and allow them to get a better rank/more upgrade points. I think the rank system needs a re-work specifically for that, or some kind of points reduction for standing in the same area not doing anything for too long.

drotahorror

There's more to it than that.

I stood there at the exit seeing what the crouching moron would do. He just came up to me and started spamming crouch even more. I alt tabbed for about 10min and he was still there.

Also, I was playing a game as a survivor a bit ago. 3 of my teammates were dead and the killer had me on the ground crawling. He stood there and watched me til I bled out. Took about 5 min or so. Some really stupid shit in this game.

Top Bottom