• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Any point going from 470 SLi to a 7970 performance wise?I can get a 4 month old one for €360. Or should I just wait for the price drop to take effect over here.
If you are ok with your dual card solution I'd stick with it, but if you are not pleased I'd definitely jump on a 680 or 7970 depending on your prices.
Considering where I'm at in my computer knowledge, I would be interested in knowing what some of your "rookie mistakes" were when it came to computers and buying them, upgrading them, handling them, etc.
Probably just having something stupid unplugged. Common mistakes are the motherboard 4/8 pin power or a screw left behind the motherboard. Super common.
So the extra RAM in that one wouldn't help much?
Extra RAM is only used if... it's used. There's no performance boost for having more RAM.
Almost all titles except BF3 and Witcher 2 on very high settings (High enough your FPS should be not great) fall under 1.2GB of vRAM. iirc
Finally got all the parts to my build and put it together, getting to BIOs took 5 hours longer than I planned it to and I haven't got a copy of windows yet. The build took 9 hours or so, partially due to me being a coward/having no technical no how (putting screws in plastic fans make it seem like your destroying them, rubber screws always feel like they're about to scrap, and anything that requires any force was a huge issue for me).

Ultimately I think things went okay. My cable management isn't great due to the XFX Pro coming with so many leads (meaning I had to shove a load in the bottom), the DVI port on my HD7500 isn't working (though the HD is so I'm praying it's the driver issue), and the heatsink instillation was a huge botch due to my hand shaking so much meaning I knocked my one blob into two and I lifted the heatsink up to realign it thinking it was yet to make contact with the paste when it had... Anyway without anything to remove the paste I had to go ahead with the botch job. I'm thinking the Noctua D14 might have not been the best choice for a beginner with no confidence, still I feel like I could confidently remove it and replace it whilst it's still in the case now if need be.

On the plus side my front USB ports work, I got to the boot screen (which was my goal) and the fan lights look real pretty. I really enjoyed the experience despite getting a little frustrated at points. Just hope all goes well when I finally get windows and install my drivers.

I have one question though, was it a terrible idea to plug most of my fans into the pins on my mobo?
Good for you! Hope everything goes well with your Windows install.
I can easily see the CPU lever and the Noctua being issues. Are your temps ok in the BIOS?
Fans on your motherboard are good, they can get controlled that way.
Hmm, what kind of brand in fans should I look for, for minimal noise / highest CFM? Seeing as how the Cosmos II only comes with a single 120mm exhaust at the top as standard, I'd like to fit at least one more. It'll take 3 120mm, 2 140mm or one 200mm - Anything you guys can recommend? Thinking about a CM Megaflow in red to go with the rest of the red look.
Depends how much flow you are looking for? 35CFM or 60CFM?

Again, there's a ton of good fans on the market, but I really like the Scythe Kama II's I have.

Sethos

Banned
Depends how much flow you are looking for? 35CFM or 60CFM?

Again, there's a ton of good fans on the market, but I really like the Scythe Kama II's I have.

Have nothing in mind, no idea what I need, just need a decent exhaust. So a 200mm solution that is quiet yet moves as much air as possible is probably what I'm looking for.

Anything is an improvement over the default 1 x 120mm, oh and black or red is a must.

scogoth

Have nothing in mind, no idea what I need, just need a decent exhaust. So a 200mm solution that is quiet yet moves as much air as possible is probably what I'm looking for.

Anything is an improvement over the default 1 x 120mm, oh and black or red is a must.

Noctua excels at quiet but they don't have 200mm. The bitfenix spectre pros are much better than the cm 200mm.

Sethos

Banned
Noctua excels at quiet but they don't have 200mm. The bitfenix spectre pros are much better than the cm 200mm.

Alright, think I'll just snag one of the Bitfenix 200mm in red, thanks.

Oh by the way, need some cheap black DVD drive - Is the Samsung SH-222BB okay?

Hawk269

Sethos, are we expecting a more refined ivy bridge down the line or you are talking about the "tock" next year? I mean the proper switch to a different architecture.

There is going to be the Ivy Bridge E processor sometime at the end of the year or next year. It will be compatible with 2011 socket. If they follow the same plan like the SBE processors they will be a 6 core processor without the iGPU. Which if they do that with it being a larger chip it may help with the heat issues when you do a good OC on them. SBE has 3 variants with the big boy being $1000.00. So if they follow the same path we will see a $1000 & $500 or so CPU.

Hawk269

Hmm, what kind of brand in fans should I look for, for minimal noise / highest CFM? Seeing as how the Cosmos II only comes with a single 120mm exhaust at the top as standard, I'd like to fit at least one more. It'll take 3 120mm, 2 140mm or one 200mm - Anything you guys can recommend? Thinking about a CM Megaflow in red to go with the rest of the red look.

Sethos- I really like my Noiseblockers...they are really quiet and push some good amount of air. I also got 2 Scythe Silent Typhoon's for my H100 cooler and they are also very good. The ramp up to a higher RPM which is what I wanted to keep the CPU cool when pushing it. Both are bit pricey, but very good.

Feep

Banned
So, it's time to upgrade. I only need the following parts:

Motherboard
CPU (and possibly aftermarket fan, if the stock fan is loud? I hate noise)
GPU
RAM
SSD

I want to wait for the sweet new Ivy Bridges to come out, so I guess I should wait a few days? My budget for these five parts is about a thousand dollars, though I'm more concerned with performance per dollar.

Hellllllp me, knowledgeable GAF!

mhayze

Having built a couple of Cosmos-based builds (although not in the last year+) I would much rather have several Silverstone and Lian Li cases over the Cosmos in that price range, but that's just IMHO.

ParityBit

I was browsing Amazon and I noticed they had the evga gtx 680 super overclocked in stock, so I decided to get a second one for SLI. Nothing like a spontaneous quick buy ....

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Motherboard
GPU
RAM
SSD

I want to wait for the sweet new Ivy Bridges to come out, so I guess I should wait a few days? My budget for these five parts is about a thousand dollars, though I'm more concerned with performance per dollar.

Mobo - ASUS P8Z77-V LE $165
CPU - 3770K - $330
GPU - Depends on when you are building, if possible wait 1-2 weeks for the GTX670. ~$350
RAM - 4x4GB 1.5V 1866Mhz - $97
SSD - Samsung 830. 128GB or 256GB depending on how much you want space wise.

Now... if you don't need a lot of that feature fluff you can take Sandy Bridge because Ivy is a very marginal upgrade in speed (~5%) and save by going a Z68 motherboard and a 2600K instead.

Feep

Banned
Mobo - ASUS P8Z77-V LE $165
CPU - 3770K - $330
GPU - Depends on when you are building, if possible wait 1-2 weeks for the GTX670. ~$350
RAM - 4x4GB 1.5V 1866Mhz - $97
SSD - Samsung 830. 128GB or 256GB depending on how much you want space wise.

Now... if you don't need a lot of that feature fluff you can take Sandy Bridge because Ivy is a very marginal upgrade in speed (~5%) and save by going a Z68 motherboard and a 2600K instead.
Only five percent? Yeesh. Yeah, I don't need that.

What Z68 mobo do you recommend? And thanks for the help. = D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Re looking at what I'd recommend YOU. I'd probably go with the Z77 LE board and Ivy after all. Ivy is better for the same price for most normal users and overclocking and the price tiers of the Z77 mobos are only about $10-$15 extra. I forgot how ASUS lined up their Z77 tiers (They have 10 models).
It's the pricing of lower tier Z68 boards that are $110 with Sandy that I usually focus on, but I wouldn't tell you to get one of those.

The 3770K and 1866 RAM is because I know you do heavy computational work, same goes for 16GB. If you only need 4 thread the 3570K saves you $100 and 8GB vs 16GB saves $40.

Stock fan is very quiet, but I'd recommend you get an aftermarket cooler like a 212+ EVO or if you are feeling spunky, the HR 02 Macho: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ERSN7G/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Overclocking your CPU to ~4.4Ghz comfortably is a very big bonus in performance speed.

kennah

Motherboard
GPU
RAM
SSD

Nice to see you spending some of that sweet Steam money Feep ;)

Feep

Banned
Re looking at what I'd recommend YOU. I'd probably go with the Z77 LE board and Ivy after all. Ivy is better for the same price for most normal users and overclocking and the price tiers of the Z77 mobos are only about $10-$15 extra. I forgot how ASUS lined up their Z77 tiers (They have 10 models).
It's the pricing of lower tier Z68 boards that are $110 with Sandy that I usually focus on, but I wouldn't tell you to get one of those.

The 3770K and 1866 RAM is because I know you do heavy computational work, same goes for 16GB. If you only need 4 thread the 3570K saves you $100 and 8GB vs 16GB saves $40.
I suppose that's true, but I'm also very impatient. = P

Monitors.

What do you guys prefer regarding matte vs gloss screens? I'm not sure what I like better, I've had a matte screen forever and from what I've seen (my friends) the gloss screen looks nice too but watching movies in bright environments has me skeptical. Is there a clear favourite regarding PQ?

Feep

Banned
Try to wait as the 670 should be THE card to buy. It and Ivy come pretty soon. :)
I can wait a few weeks for the GPU...I have a 5850 now, which is fine...but is Ivy Bridge confirmed for the end of April? If it is, I can wait. If it isn't, meh, 5% doesn't mean that much to me. Will a SB processor work on a Z77 chipset mobo? The one you linked looks pretty boss.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I can wait a few weeks for the GPU...I have a 5850 now, which is fine...but is Ivy Bridge confirmed for the end of April? If it is, I can wait. If it isn't, meh, 5% doesn't mean that much to me. Will a SB processor work on a Z77 chipset mobo? The one you linked looks pretty boss.
Ivy most likely will be available 4/29. And yes SB should work fine on Z77.
If you need any additional help just PM me.

Anyone else to chime in on Z77 boards is very much welcome because they are new, but largely the same to the Z68 models.

*And if you are price sensitive you can just buy a used 2600K for much less. CPUs pretty much are a 1/1000000 chance of being sour or going bad.
This one is even new for $260. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1688483

Is it unusual for the release date for Intel CPUs to be unconfirmed 4 days out? I can't think of many other products where they try to keep the release date secret until it actually hits; usually it's marketing awareness 101 to get the date out early to get people hyped and ready to buy.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is it unusual for the release date for Intel CPUs to be unconfirmed 4 days out? I can't think of many other products where they try to keep the release date secret until it actually hits; usually it's marketing awareness 101 to get the date out early to get people hyped and ready to buy.
There are a few in the wild already so some places have gotten shipments / chips. Not uncommon for Intel or the GPU guys either.

Enthusiasts figure this stuff out so Intel doesn't try to market anything unless I'm mistaken. Normal consumers don't care. OEMs/resellers are told.

Launch marketing is basically a newegg or NCIX newsletter saying they are out.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Will a phenom 2 X4 3.6ghz bottleneck a 570/670?

How bad if it does as i don't want to upgrade my CPU until fall/winter.
Yup. Depends on the game. You'll still get some good performance, just not as good.
how soon after release until the new ivy bridge's are benchmarked?
NDA was lifted 2 days ago.
Main points:
4.4Ghz on ~1.10V seems to be norm, any higher is hard or gets super hot and draws tons of power. Much worse than SB.
About 5% faster roughly for easy numbers
No idle wattage savings, ok load savings

*Useful:
AR0CR.png

MrBig

Monitors.

What do you guys prefer regarding matte vs gloss screens? I'm not sure what I like better, I've had a matte screen forever and from what I've seen (my friends) the gloss screen looks nice too but watching movies in bright environments has me skeptical. Is there a clear favourite regarding PQ?

I have a glossy panel and two matte panels. I'm considering getting two more matte panels when I sell my laptop with it's glossy panel, but that is because IPS panels only seem to come in matte. The coating is noticeable when you have a glossy and matte sitting next to eachother and I would avoid it if possible since it does degrade PQ by some amount, but I'd say that for IPS the benefits outweigh it. Go to a local store and check them out.

Intel's index says 4/29/12, and has at least since the NDA was lifted.

Quick input on GPUS:

Decided to go with a
I5 2500k Intel CPU
This mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293&fb_source=message
And the GPU is the thing I am trying to figure out.

I was initially told to look at the 560 TIs, 2GB is a bit out of what I'm wanting to pay (looks to be 280 or so in my research), the 1GB is around 230. However I'd really like to get something cheaper for now.

I've considered the 460 GTX as I know it would run Diablo III (primary purpose) on full and likely a lot else on high while costing me about 130. I'd much rather spend 120-150 on a GPU and then down the road pick up a better one.

I was told to check out the 6850 Sapphire as an alternative to the GTX in the same price range, but have been lately looking at this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125383 160 after rebate. So 20-40 more than I was considering. Would this be worth the extra money? I'm just not sure what to do and I am not knowledagble on GPU, haven't had a desktop in years. Further, would the 560 TI *really* be worth the upgrade past that? They're both a gig, what am I really getting respectively that I'm not privy to? Plus why do these more expensive ones seem to have mini HDMI? That's a real pain for me, but is that how many newer cards come or..?

I'd be playing D3, Witcher 2, etc.. whatever comes along I can use.

EDIT:
Also, since Ivy Bridge came can I realistically expect to see a price drop on sandy bridge anytime soon or no?

kamspy

Question fellas.

I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1055t. I did the BIOS tweak that stops the clocks from fluctuating which had a lot to do with early bad benchmarks. Now it runs like a regular Phenom II with all 6 cores at 3.36 Ghz

I have a 580 GTX and I have a 680 GTX on order. Due to be here May 8th.

How much of a performance increase can I expect with that CPU? Is it as bad as some of my friends would have me believe? I wish the big tech blogs would rebenchmark it with the BIOS tweaks everyone figured out. At first it was slower than the 955 it was replacing, not it's hanging with my buddies 2600k in Cinebench. Anyone know the real deal on these CPUs? I got it crazy cheap and didn't need to upgrade my motherboard to use it, so I got it.

BF3 is the only game I know makes use of all 6 cores. I guess there's a good chance Max Payne 3 will makes use of all 6 too?

Should I be looking at a CPU upgrade? I play at 1080p, but I do run a monitor on the side off the same card. The only computing I do that requires more than a tablet is PC gaming.

mkenyon

Banned
You'll get better performance from games that are more CPU bound, for sure. But, almost all games are ultimately bottlenecked by the GPU. You'll still get gains going from a 580->680 (though marginal, kind of a bad upgrade IMO), maybe 10-15%. If you want more performance, than you certainly could upgrade your motherboard and processor.

kamspy

You'll get better performance from games that are more CPU bound, for sure. But, almost all games are ultimately bottlenecked by the GPU. You'll still get gains going from a 580->680 (though marginal, kind of a bad upgrade IMO), maybe 10-15%. If you want more performance, than you certainly could upgrade your motherboard and processor.

The 680 GTX is free. Expense account + 1 obscure CUDA app get me free GeForce cards for life.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Question fellas.

I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1055t. I did the BIOS tweak that stops the clocks from fluctuating which had a lot to do with early bad benchmarks. Now it runs like a regular Phenom II with all 6 cores at 3.36 Ghz

Should I be looking at a CPU upgrade? I play at 1080p, but I do run a monitor on the side off the same card. The only computing I do that requires more than a tablet is PC gaming.
OC your CPU yo!
Quick input on GPUS:

Decided to go with a
I5 2500k Intel CPU
This mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293&fb_source=message
And the GPU is the thing I am trying to figure out.
6870 is the best value and can be had for $145AR though the 4601GB is not a bad deal either.

Couple quick questions before I take the dive and start buying (although I already bought a 2tb hdd...)

How often do people actually need to RMA? Hard to tell off reviews because only the people motivated to post generally do so, thus the sample is unbalanced.

Flash forward 2-4 years, what is generally the bottle neck the GPU? If so, would it be better to replace it with a newer one or buy a second copy of the current one and link them? (Trying to decide if I need a mobo with 2 PCIe 3.0 slots).

What wattage PSU is needed to run a single GPU? (ex. upcoming gtx670 or something else in the $300-400 range)?

Thanks!

How often do people actually need to RMA? Hard to tell off reviews because only the people motivated to post generally do so, thus the sample is unbalanced.
The last time I had to RMA something was back in April 2009. PSU toasted my new-ish motherboard (totally my fault) but somehow they still accepted it.

Otherwise... I don't really remember. You can still bad eggs from the best makers.

Flash forward 2-4 years, what is generally the bottle neck the GPU? If so, would it be better to replace it with a newer one or buy a second copy of the current one and link them? (Trying to decide if I need a mobo with 2 PCIe 3.0 slots).
SLI/XF is for enthusiasts only. I would really rather just get one strong card.

If you're thinking of investing on a motherboard that supports that, assuming that you save money by going SLI/XF after several years... there's still the chance that the SLI/XF profiles won't be well updated for older cards.

What wattage PSU is needed to run a single GPU? (ex. upcoming gtx670 or something else in the $300-400 range)?
Good 500W is enough for any single GPU.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I need a reply ASAP.

What say you, GAF? Worth it, or should I wait until the 670 is announced?

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=67644&vpn=58NLH5DI5TXX&manufacture=Galaxy Technology&promoid=1058
It's not bad, and free BF3 is a nice deal. If you are ok with extra heat it'll spit out it's not terrible. The 670 I WOULD IMAGINE would be very similar performance at that price but use much less power. Not sure on overclocking due to the new power thing. I'm sure they'll limit it some way since it's the same GK104 chip for 670 and 680.

Personally I'd wait, but I'm betting the 670 will be a great card for the money, or at least AMD price drops 78xx.
Couple quick questions before I take the dive and start buying (although I already bought a 2tb hdd...)

Thanks!
1) Not often. Low single digits %. Depends on product as well.
2) 2-4 years? Looking at current CPU progression, GPU for sure. Most games are GPU bound too. PCI-E 3.0 won't matter for another 2 years, maybe even 4. Even if it does come into play it'll be negligible.
3) A good 500W is fine.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Just finished installing Windows on my new build. I will post pics and details later today. I had only two hiccups in the install.

1. Forgot to plug in the 8-pin power into the mobo.
2. Didn't actually install the memory. My dumbass had the memory backwards and wondered why it didn't "click".

I am going to have to play with the bios and get the boot order right, as it is stopping at the bios now and I am forcing it to boot off the solid state drive.
Feels good to finally have a high performance machine. Can't wait to load some games!

Sethos

Banned
Sethos- I really like my Noiseblockers...they are really quiet and push some good amount of air. I also got 2 Scythe Silent Typhoon's for my H100 cooler and they are also very good. The ramp up to a higher RPM which is what I wanted to keep the CPU cool when pushing it. Both are bit pricey, but very good.

Hey man, thanks. I'll check it out, unfortunately I live in a country where lots of stuff isn't available. The noiseblockers for one I can't find anywhere. Think I'll just stick to that one 200mm

AkIRA_22

SO I bought some of this RAM today

20120426_165251.jpg

Does anyone for see any issues running this is an i7-930? It's worked so far and it isn't warm, but is the increased Voltage going to reduce it's longevity?

Karmum

Banned
NewEgg just came to my rescue.

Is there any big difference between this GTX 460 256-bit and this GTX 460 256-bit? The latter is the one I have now in my computer, but is it worth spending that much more on it (refurbished, mind you) just to SLI it with the current GTX 460 I have now or just go with the $99 one?

Edit - I mean the $99 one is slightly less clocked, but I'm sure I can OC it right around to where I have my GTX 460 at now (or just lower that one a bit). Barring any major differences, I'm probably going to just go with the $99 version and buy the $9.99 1-year warranty, and I assume it will SLI with my GTX 460 that I have (which is the second one listed above). How is the quality of NewEgg refurbished products?

kennah

Is there any big difference between this GTX 460 256-bit and this GTX 460 256-bit? The latter is the one I have now in my computer, but is it worth spending that much more on it (refurbished, mind you) just to SLI it with the current GTX 460 I have now or just go with the $99 one?

Edit - I mean the $99 one is slightly less clocked, but I'm sure I can OC it right around to where I have my GTX 460 at now (or just lower that one a bit). Barring any major differences, I'm probably going to just go with the $99 version and buy the $9.99 1-year warranty, and I assume it will SLI with my GTX 460 that I have (which is the second one listed above).

I know NewEgg won't dick around with me like Amazon did.

The 99$ one is an SE model. I think people have said in the past to not buy the SE model.

1-D_FTW

Edit - I mean the $99 one is slightly less clocked, but I'm sure I can OC it right around to where I have my GTX 460 at now (or just lower that one a bit). Barring any major differences, I'm probably going to just go with the $99 version and buy the $9.99 1-year warranty, and I assume it will SLI with my GTX 460 that I have (which is the second one listed above). How is the quality of NewEgg refurbished products?

The 99 dollar version is the SE. If it were me, I'd pay the extra and get the real GTX 460.

Madridy

I accidentally bought the SE model instead of the normal one early 2011, and I regret it.

Karmum

Banned
The 99 dollar version is the SE. If it were me, I'd pay the extra and get the real GTX 460.
I see...

Well, I do love my "actual" GTX 460...

It'll be here tomorrow regardless of which I choose, guess I'll just suck it up and pay a bit more tax too and buy my same exact card again. Hoping I get a good refurbished one. And thanks! Seems like there is a lot of negativity toward the SE model, haha. I should have known better, cause I've seen people (in this same topic) call it the "Shit Edition."

MBison

I need some help with PC upgrade/new PC decisions. I'm not the most adept with all the tech details of processor and video card speed knowledge.

I currently have an i7-860, 2.8-3.4 with 8 gig RAM and an ATI 5850 with 1 gig.

It runs pretty good, playing Fallout New Vegas maxed. Not the most graphically intensive game but still good.

I have some extra money and wanted to upgrade some. So my questions are:

1) is my PC still good as is, ie any upgrade won't be a major one and the bang for the buck isn't there? Better to just wait.

2) worth upgrading the video card and if so, best bang for the buck?

3) if I were to completely get a new PC, what's the best avenue to go? I'm not the most savvy with build your own. The console sized Alienware are cool but most ppl seem to indicate they could be more powerful and are usually talking about new video cards for it.

Any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks!

mkenyon

Banned
I need some help with PC upgrade/new PC decisions. I'm not the most adept with all the tech details of processor and video card speed knowledge.

I currently have an i7-860, 2.8-3.4 with 8 gig RAM and an ATI 5850 with 1 gig.

It runs pretty good, playing Fallout New Vegas maxed. Not the most graphically intensive game but still good.

I have some extra money and wanted to upgrade some. So my questions are:

1) is my PC still good as is, ie any upgrade won't be a major one and the bang for the buck isn't there? Better to just wait.

2) worth upgrading the video card and if so, best bang for the buck?

3) if I were to completely get a new PC, what's the best avenue to go? I'm not the most savvy with build your own. The console sized Alienware are cool but most ppl seem to indicate they could be more powerful and are usually talking about new video cards for it.

Any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks!
1) Yeah, it's pretty good. Best option for you is to get a better CPU cooling solution and overclock more.

2) That's a tough one, and dependent upon how much you want to spend. When you're upgrading from a really good part like that, you can't purchase from the price:performance, it's better to look at price:gained performance. I can't say for certain what that is, but my gut tells me 7950.

3) You shouldn't. Your processor is still great.
Quick question. Is a Corsair Professional Series Gold 850-Watt (CMPSU-850AX) powerful enough for two GTX 680's in SLI?
Yes.

Wizman23

Banned
Question for those who run an HDMI out of the video card to an external TV or projector. Is there something one needs to do to tie the audio on that HDMI cable or does Windows 7 do it automatically?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom