• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solo: A Star Wars Story

tumblr_natpg24qmM1tsgoixo1_250.gif

tumblr_natpg24qmM1tsgoixo3_250.gif

tumblr_natpg24qmM1tsgoixo5_250.gif

Lucasfilm fucked up.

Thanks for the reply.

IMO this kind of dialogue references that only the most hardcore fans will get is a bit too "fanficky".

Voidwolf

It's not like Rogue One was the most inclusive title, either to casuals or hardcore fans.

It was a meta reference.

The first Star Wars film that's not part of a trilogy. It wasn't like anything they had done before, it was the rogue one.

I'm reaching.

Blader

It was a meta reference.

The first Star Wars film that's not part of a trilogy. It wasn't like anything they had done before, it was the rogue one.

I'm reaching.

That was literally Edwards' reasoning for picking that title though :lol

PSqueak

Banned
I'll be disappointed when the movie isn't young Han depressed on his teen room crying about how lonely he is for 2 hours.

Atrus

Gold Member
So in a trailer about a film dedicated to Han Solo, they go out of their way to obscure him as much as possible. You either see his hand or the back of his body in most shots and when you do see him, he's shrouded in shadow.

Er... interesting choice.

The most troublesome trailer yet!
The only shot of Han is at the very end and through some blinds.

You can tell that Disney knows this is a turd

GabeARG

Anyone asked for this? Why make a movie about a young Han? You could make a movie about a space cowboy meeting and old jedi (set during the old republic) while he is trying to steal some kyber cristals. And thats how you expand the unlverse. With a 3 lines plot. Not this.

Please Disney stop.

lachesis

Since I'm rather let down with the Last Jedi - I'm keeping a really really really really really low expectation of this one. Will watch with my kid though on opening weekend...

Kadayi

Banned
Since I'm rather let down with the Last Jedi - I'm keeping a really really really really really low expectation of this one. Will watch with my kid though on opening weekend...

So you're going to reward Disney for their shitness by giving them more money before the public reviews are out? That sounds like a dysfunctional relationship. How about wait a week and see what the general fan reaction is instead before putting money down (as demonstrated by TLJ reviews, pro critics will 10/10 anything with Disney's stench on it).

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
It's pretty funny how for Rogue One they brought back dead actors with CGI & made others look young again, and for this is just a different actor playing an old character. May as well have done that for the other films!
Either way, looks like it could be ok, or at least bearable. As long as it just features the Empire and the whole thing isn't about Han working for the Rebels to take the Empire down, it could be cool. You know, something set in the Star Wars universe, rather than about the whole overarching Star Wars story.

Corrik

I have zero faith in this movie. I feel this movie has zero chance to be good because no one can capture the charisma of Han Solo.

That said... As soon as that star destroyer hit the screen I was like yeahhh... I am gonna see that. Lol

GabeARG

The trailer is good. Even the movie looks awesome. But it just cant be a young han. Change the name and it will be a success.

BANGS

Banned
Actually looks fairly interesting. I'm certainly not hyped or anything but I am intrigued...

Last edited:

Hissing Sid

Also the name of the main character :confused:. IMO. Don't know, it just can't work. Harrison Ford was pretty young back in 77, I think he was 33 and Alden is 28. So.. do the maths.

I agree but then again it’s Star Wars so anything could happen.

I’m hestitant to say that the whole thing is doomed because there’s always the possibility that it’ll be a surprise hit, especially with the Star Wars name attached.

Peeps just spent one and a half billion to go see the desecration of Luke Skywalker, so who knows right?

Last edited:

GabeARG

What's bother me the most, it's not the fact that they trying to milk the franchise, it's because they are doing badly... you can't go back after TLJ.

You made 3 movies. One of them was excellent (imo ROGUE ONE), TFA was a safe move. TLJ is a no returning point. And now... you make it worse.

Last edited:

ChrisDude

What's bother me the most, it's not the fact that they trying to milk the franchise, it's because they are doing badly... you can't go back after TLJ.

You made 3 movies. One of them was excellent (imo ROGUE ONE), TFA was a safe move. TLJ is a no returning point. And now... you make it worse.

TLJ a point of no return movie? I thought it was amazing.

Nodnol

Looks good, but so did Rogue One. Whilst I loved the spectacle Rogue One offered, I hope they sure up the writing and characterization better in this. I remain intrigued.

Personally, I think the anthology is a great idea and an excellent opportunity to expand the universe. Just need them to get through the obvious and marketable stuff first, before giving the Star Wars equivalents of the GotG a go. Give us something out there and unexpected.

Hopefully RJ’s trilogy offers that, but who knows.

Sorcerer

I have zero faith in this movie. I feel this movie has zero chance to be good because no one can capture the charisma of Han Solo.

That said... As soon as that star destroyer hit the screen I was like yeahhh... I am gonna see that. Lol

Sorcerer

Perhaps the events of this movie make Han the cocky character that he is. I know everybody wants Harrison's Ford character off the bat, but in the old eu books, "The Han Solo Triology", I am pretty sure "A New Hope", Solo wasn't formed yet. (I know that doesn't count, just saying).

No chance in hell they are going to reference his wife are they?

Last edited:

OH-MyCar

I feel like there was nothing "wrong" with the new trailer/teaser and a few years ago I would've been losing my mind with excitement. TLJ, however, completely sapped all of my enthusiasm for the franchise.

They could give me my dream movie of Willrow Hood making ice cream for an hour and a half and I just wouldn't care at this point.

kunonabi

Great visuals but I'm not really feeling any of the cast especially Ehrenreich. His voice, delivery, and dialogue are all terrible. After 3 strikes and this trailer I'm just done giving Disney the benefit of the doubt in regards to their take on SW.

GabeARG

I feel like the trully Star Wars fan, that tryed to expand the universe, was Gareth Edwards. Rogue One was the best of this 3 films, and in fact, one of my favourites.

The saturation has finally gotten to me

I don’t care about Star Wars anymore and I certainly don’t care about this tripe.

If anything this film will prove Ford is the only one who was capable of playing that character. The role is too iconic to be replicated in any way.

Though Donglover will probably nail Lando.

Also, who’s the one that decides to cast the beyond mediocre actress from GoT in these sci fi actioners? Good fucking lord.

lachesis

So you're going to reward Disney for their shitness by giving them more money before the public reviews are out? That sounds like a dysfunctional relationship. How about wait a week and see what the general fan reaction is instead before putting money down (as demonstrated by TLJ reviews, pro critics will 10/10 anything with Disney's stench on it).

True enough. But I'm pretty sure my 10yr old child, who loves everything Star Wars, will be very happy to see the film (since I work for a Disney owned company, I might actually get early screening) - and that's what counts for me... even though this Solo movie, seems to have "Rogue One Copy Cat" all over it. I've seen worse movies with my kid (I literally fell asleep watching Minions), so.... :)

True enough. But I'm pretty sure my 10yr old child, who loves everything Star Wars, will be very happy to see the film (since I work for a Disney owned company, I might actually get early screening) - and that's what counts for me... even though this Solo movie, seems to have "Rogue One Copy Cat" all over it. I've seen worse movies with my kid (I literally fell asleep watching Minions), so.... :)

I h8 you!

Minions is great...plz pm me your impressions if you get an early screening

Top Bottom