• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

see5harp
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:22 PM)

Originally Posted by benicillin

In case anyone misses the subtle bullshit at the end of his tweet there, Rashomon is a classic Japanese film directed by Akira Kurosawa exploring unreliable narrators who all recall different versions of the same event. Because, you know, she's Asian.

Uh. I'm fine with that part of the tweet.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(10-18-2017, 06:22 PM)
Slayven's Avatar

Originally Posted by FiggyCal

I think he doesn't want to call her a liar, but that what she's remembering is inaccurate. Kaiser Soze was kind of a villain and made up his story on the fly.

the hashtag was the height of passive aggressiveness
Zvonimir Boban
Banned
(10-18-2017, 06:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Grizzlyjin

I don't know, not sure if I'd be up for apologizing for something I don't recall doing. Now if multiple people said you did the thing, or you have a history, yeah. And really, what does she get out of making it up? But I can see why someone wouldn't immediately get down on their knees, especially when the admission can hurt their job prospects, if they don't recall doing it.

So say "I don't remember this, I'm terribly sorry for any offence I may have caused" and leave it at that.

What you DON'T do, is turn it around and go "I don't remember so her recollection of the event is probably wrong" as though minorities go around imagining racist incidents like they're having a bad trip.
benicillin
Banned
(10-18-2017, 06:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Blader

Or he's citing Rashomon because of, you know, the bolded?

lol sorry but you really aren't going to convince me for a second that a guy annoyed that he has to apologize for being called out for racism is going to reach back to a Kurosawa film for a hashtag because it uses an unreliable narrator trope.
Don Draper's Hat
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:23 PM)
Don Draper's Hat's Avatar
Maybe the "ching chong" part was him trying to impersonate a chicken.
Sanjuro
Inside Man
(10-18-2017, 06:23 PM)
Sanjuro's Avatar

Originally Posted by sixteen-bit

Doesn't he drop the n-word pretty casually in his standup? Not surprised tbh.

FiggyCal
Banned
(10-18-2017, 06:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Slayven

the hashtag was the height of passive aggressiveness

Absolutely. And it for sure is in bad taste since he was accused of being racist in the first place.
Saya
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:23 PM)
wait people actually think he included #rashomon because of that film's unreliable narration... good lord
adamantypants
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:24 PM)
adamantypants's Avatar
#rashomon? bruh
Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew
Banned
(10-18-2017, 06:24 PM)
Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew's Avatar
I don't get it. Why are you all upset and serving Milkshake? We all are adults here, comedians are allowed to be racist okay!1!1!1!1one!

#Oldboy
RangerX
Banned
(10-18-2017, 06:24 PM)
I always thought that joke he made about Koreans eating dogs was a bit assholish when he was being interviewed by a Korean American woman.
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
(10-18-2017, 06:25 PM)
Ninja Scooter's Avatar

Originally Posted by benicillin

lol sorry but you really aren't going to convince me for a second that a guy annoyed that he has to apologize for being called out for racism is going to reach back to a Kurosawa film for a hashtag because it uses an unreliable narrator trope.

It created the trope, and is the most well known example of it. You say "rashomon" and people know exactly what it's referencing. Using a movie to try and defend your real life actions is tacky as fuck regardless though/
DeathoftheEndless
Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
(10-18-2017, 06:25 PM)
DeathoftheEndless's Avatar

Originally Posted by norm9

Ching chong karate bullshit is something that's not hard to remember coming from a celebrity that you're probably a fan of.

With that said, his apology sounds crappy. Either apologize or don't.

I absolutely agree.
geomon
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:25 PM)
geomon's Avatar
God fucking damn it. I was ready to believe him...then I saw Rashomon. What the fuck man?
Ashodin
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:25 PM)
Ashodin's Avatar
Letter reads like someone desperate to not be labeled a racist...

Which white people fear more than death
norm9
(10-18-2017, 06:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Zvonimir Boban

So say "I don't remember this, I'm terribly sorry for any offence I may have caused" and leave it at that.

What you DON'T do, is turn it around and go "I don't remember so her recollection of the event is probably wrong" as though minorities go around imagining racist incidents like they're having a bad trip.

I dunno, Faraci said this and we know how that turned out. I think you go full contrition or nothing at all.
Messofanego
Banned
(10-18-2017, 06:25 PM)

Originally Posted by Saya

wait people actually think he included #rashomon because of that film's unreliable narration... good lord

What other way is he including that for, Saya?
Ralemont
not me
(10-18-2017, 06:26 PM)
Ralemont's Avatar
It's entirely possible for someone to misremember events, but I'd believe someone's memory who was offended by a comment more than someone who said it and didn't think much of it.
Sanjuro
Inside Man
(10-18-2017, 06:26 PM)
Sanjuro's Avatar

Originally Posted by benicillin

lol sorry but you really aren't going to convince me for a second that a guy annoyed that he has to apologize for being called out for racism is going to reach back to a Kurosawa film for a hashtag because it uses an unreliable narrator trope.

He absolutely was using it in that context.

...and that context sounds stupid.
Sir_Stoo
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:26 PM)
Sir_Stoo's Avatar
I find it incomprehensible given his body of work that David Cross is genuinely racist. Especially that he'd just walk up to an asian person and say this stuff unironically. However it seems very likely he did say this extremely offensive stuff either because he was on drugs or as some "clever" comic bit, but his "apology" and lack of ownership are piss-poor and borderline insulting to the victim. Meh.
The Illiterati
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:27 PM)
The Illiterati's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lunar15

Man, it's nuts to me how people don't realize that even if the accusation is exaggerated or false (doesn't seem to be the case here), how much better you look if you just own up to it and acknowledge fault?

The first time we met, you spit directly in my face. I'm waiting.
Zvonimir Boban
Banned
(10-18-2017, 06:27 PM)

Originally Posted by see5harp

Uh. I'm fine with that part of the tweet.

The part where he used a simple hashtag to gaslight Charlyne Yi?

OK.
sturgboski
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

It created the trope, and is the most well known example of it. You say "rashomon" and people know exactly what it's referencing.

According to this thread, it's referencing her Asian heritage. #salo (damn that sort of works with current entertainment industry stuff)
thechristoph
Sir!
(10-18-2017, 06:27 PM)
thechristoph's Avatar
oops, wrong thread
Ratrat
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:27 PM)
Ratrat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ralemont

It's entirely possible for someone to misremember events, but I'd believe someone's memory who was offended by a comment more than someone who said it and didn't think much of it.

This.



Rashomon is way better than Usual Suspects.
Darth Pinche
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:27 PM)
Darth Pinche's Avatar

Originally Posted by Saya

wait people actually think he included #rashomon because of that film's unreliable narration... good lord

Yes he totally did that but I think he also added it as a subtle joke in shitty taste.

#thekingofcomedy
see5harp
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Saya

wait people actually think he included #rashomon because of that film's unreliable narration... good lord

Why else would he use a well known classic film right after he explains that he remembers the events differently? That's his entire response wrapped up in a single reference.
Ashodin
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:27 PM)
Ashodin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sir_Stoo

I find it incomprehensible given his body of work that David Cross is genuinely racist. Especially that he'd just walk up to an asian person and say this stuff unironically. However it seems very likely he did say this stuff in an exttremely offensive way because he was on drugs or as some "clever" comic bit, but his "apology" and lack of ownership are piss-poor and borderline insulting to the victim. Meh.

You can be racist and not know you're being racist
Extra Sauce
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:27 PM)
Extra Sauce's Avatar
Perhaps I'm giving Cross too much credit but making a racist remark with a fake southern accent seems like potential satirizing of bigoted rednecks?
Saya
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Messofanego

What other way is he including that for, Saya?

The same reason he made some racist Asian jokes in the first place. He knows he can get away with that.
Blader
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:28 PM)
Blader's Avatar

Originally Posted by benicillin

lol sorry but you really aren't going to convince me for a second that a guy annoyed that he has to apologize for being called out for racism is going to reach back to a Kurosawa film for a hashtag because it uses an unreliable narrator trope.

Rashomon popularized that trope and is famous for doing so

I just think the Asian woman hence Asian film name drop is a kind of a reach for a guy whose idea of being racist is "ching chong ching chong"

He should've left it out anyway though because it's fucking lame and undermines the sincerity of an apology
cubicle47b
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:28 PM)
cubicle47b's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slayven

He goes all the way back to Rashmon instead the more known The Usual Suspects and Kaiser Soze?

Yeah ok.gif

They're not even close to the same thing.
L Thammy
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:28 PM)
L Thammy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew

I don't get it. Why are you all upset and serving Milkshake? We all are adults here, comedians are allowed to be racist okay!1!1!1!1one!

#Oldboy

he should have just said he was joking, then he could claim the 100% suspension of morality as provided by law
Erheller
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:29 PM)
"This accusation from Charlyne took me by surprised [sic] and was deeply upsetting."

Oh, the irony

Originally Posted by Sanjuro

Bit of a stretch.

Originally Posted by DeathoftheEndless

Or maybe he was referencing Rashomon for the bolded reason and not because she's Asian.

Originally Posted by Pepboy

Eh... If he quoted #SevenSamurai or #BreakfastAtTiffs, sure. That would be a direct reference because of her heritage. But are there really that many well known movies with multiple unreliable narrators?

Also it sounds like she has (edit: Phillipine) ancestry, not Japanese.

This is what people do when they're being low-key racist to you. They hide their words under the excuse of plausible deniability, and when you call them out on it, they go "Bruh you're overreacting I was TOTALLY saying that because of some other reason and not because I was being racist! Can I no longer say the name of any Asian movies? You're the real racist here!"
see5harp
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Sir_Stoo

I find it incomprehensible given his body of work that David Cross is genuinely racist. Especially that he'd just walk up to an asian person and say this stuff unironically. However it seems very likely he did say this stuff in an exttremely offensive way because he was on drugs or as some "clever" comic bit, but his "apology" and lack of ownership are piss-poor and borderline insulting to the victim. Meh.

I highly doubt he was intentional, but you do and say a lot of dumb shit under the influence. He probably should just apologize.
RinsFury
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:29 PM)
RinsFury's Avatar
Ugh. Add another one to the list of things and people to be avoided.
xxracerxx
Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
(10-18-2017, 06:29 PM)
xxracerxx's Avatar
x

Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

It created the trope, and is the most well known example of it. You say "rashomon" and people know exactly what it's referencing. Using a movie to try and defend your real life actions is tacky as fuck regardless though/

Agree on both parts. Using the hashtag was idiotic, but people just saying that Rashomon was only used as a stab at Asians needs to watch the film (it is so good).

But again, idiotic.
JKM78613
Junior Member
(10-18-2017, 06:30 PM)
JKM78613's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sanjuro

That GIF is totally devoid of the context of the skit. Gilvin is the butt of the joke there.

That said, if people can chop up your images to prove the opposite point you still messed up somewhere. Nobody is out here repurposing “Hitler in Springtime” for pro-Alt-Right purposes.
Ashodin
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:30 PM)
Ashodin's Avatar

Originally Posted by see5harp

I highly doubt he was intentional, but you do and say a lot of dumb shit under the influence. He probably should just apologize.

People who "can't believe they have to write this" aren't going to say shit after the initial response.
benicillin
Banned
(10-18-2017, 06:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Blader

Rashomon popularized that trope and is famous for doing so

I just think the Asian woman hence Asian film name drop is a kind of a reach for a guy whose idea of being racist is "ching chong ching chong"

He should've left it out anyway though because it's fucking lame and undermines the sincerity of an apology

There's totally a chance that you're entirely right, but I think anyone could agree (and you seem to) that he's clearly annoyed he has to make this apology and reaching for an Asian film reference to justify his roundabout way of calling her a liar about his Asian racism is probably not the best idea. I just find it hard to believe it's unintentional or entirely innocent.
Zvonimir Boban
Banned
(10-18-2017, 06:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Blader

Rashomon popularized that trope and is famous for doing so

I just think the Asian woman hence Asian film name drop is a kind of a reach for a guy whose idea of being racist is "ching chong ching chong"

He should've left it out anyway though because it's fucking lame and undermines the sincerity of an apology

Remove the hashtag and that apology is still anything but sincere.
L Thammy
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:31 PM)
L Thammy's Avatar

Originally Posted by JKM78613

That GIF is totally devoid of the context of the skit. Gilvin is the butt of the joke there.

That said, if people can chop up your images to prove the opposite point you still messed up somewhere. Nobody is out here repurposing “Hitler in Springtime” for pro-Alt-Right purposes.

For what it's worth, I see people trying to do that with the Donald Duck anti-Nazi cartoon all the fucking time. Well, maybe not using it as a alt right meme, but using it to shut down criticism with "see even Donald Duck was racist".
Joe Shlabotnik
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:32 PM)
Joe Shlabotnik's Avatar
I can’t believe we all have to wait with bated breath for Michael Cera to weigh in.
Pepboy
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:32 PM)
Pepboy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chojin

Eh we all look alike right? (Its Filipino/Filipina)

Sorry I thought I had read it in the article, but probably just that I've been reading Three Kingdoms and playing RotK 13 with Sun Yi. Now I realize Yi would be the given name. At the very least I've been studying Japanese lately for Dragon Quest X and knew "Yi" was not a japanese syllable.

Probably shouldn't have posted without being sure. But tried to double check shortly after (I'm on mobile).

Regarding the "Filipina" comment, wouldn't you say "She is a Filipina" to describe a woman from the Philippines? But as an adjective, since I am trying to modify "ancestry", google tells me that "Phillipine ancestry" would be correct? But maybe that site was wrong? It's kind of off topic but this has confused me before so any feedback is great.
Sanjuro
Inside Man
(10-18-2017, 06:33 PM)
Sanjuro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Erheller

This is what people do when they're being low-key racist to you. They hide their words under the excuse of plausible deniability, and when you call them out on it, they go "Bruh you're overreacting I was TOTALLY saying that because of some other reason and not because I was being racist! Can I no longer say the name of any Asian movies? You're the real racist here!"

Maybe. In this case, the movie doesn't reinforce any Asian stereotypes and is referenced quite often in that context. I think people latching on to that and missing all the other non-apology garbage is missing the point. He also had other posts on the matter before that.
Lowmelody
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:34 PM)
Lowmelody's Avatar
This fucking sucks, I love(d) Cross. His ridiculous parody of an apology confirms two things, first that what she said is true (which shouldn't even need confirmation) and that he has not changed since the encounter. That fucking hashtag at the end seals it, bastard.

I'm gonna have to rethink some shit.
curiouscharles
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:34 PM)
curiouscharles's Avatar
Wow...

Fucking speechless.

Although, I notice my family is casually racist towards Asians the more I visit home lately [we're all in our 30s now, all seven children], and when I call them out on it [gently, but firmly, they can handle it they have good hearts] - they actually FIGHT me on it [for a bit], until I persist just enough to make them realize what they're doing.

I think a lot of us are blind to the racism we express, ESPECIALLY towards people of Asian descent.

"Bad Asian drivers", "good at math", I could go on...
Blader
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:35 PM)
Blader's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zvonimir Boban

Remove the hashtag and that apology is still anything but sincere.

I mean I think hashtags in general undermine the sincerity of apology notes
Messofanego
Banned
(10-18-2017, 06:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Sir_Stoo

I find it incomprehensible given his body of work that David Cross is genuinely racist. Especially that he'd just walk up to an asian person and say this stuff unironically. However it seems very likely he did say this extremely offensive stuff either because he was on drugs or as some "clever" comic bit, but his "apology" and lack of ownership are piss-poor and borderline insulting to the victim. Meh.

So, diet racist?

There isn't a significant difference between ironic racism and real racism to the target.

Can someone link his history with the N word?
Sir_Stoo
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:35 PM)
Sir_Stoo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe Shlabotnik

I can’t believe we all have to wait with bated breath for Justin Lee to weigh in.

Annyong?

Thread Tools