• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

IrishNinja

Not sure if anybody can help me here.

I won a 360 VGA cable on eBay. I'm trying to grab another official one or two before they disappear. Thing is, eBay is filled with the knock-offs. And my other VGA cable is the old variety. Can anybody confirm the veracity/officialness of this cable before I pay the seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XBOX-360-VG...h%2FzIjXsNxhmnsuzeKqM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

sorry for being late on this, but - i believe mine's an official one, and this looks identical to it & works great. are they getting harder to find now? was gonna sell mine with my dead unit, maybe i should hold onto it

Yes Boss!

sorry for being late on this, but - i believe mine's an official one, and this looks identical to it & works great. are they getting harder to find now? was gonna sell mine with my dead unit, maybe i should hold onto it

Thanks.

I actually paid for it this morning. It was one of the few listings with an acutal photo and the XBOX logo on it.

No, they are not getting hard to find just that there a bajillion knock-off cables for $5 or less...and look very similar and it is hard to go by descriptions...even at trusted sites. I've just got a lot of 360s around and a lot of VGA displays so I want to make sure I've got a couple extra cables.

I've always read that the official cables are better quality (image-wise), though I don't really see anything that would do that...maybe better shielding?

My son was complaining about how hard Mario Kart 7's SNES rainbow road track is. Made me wonder whether it is harder or easier than the original SNES super mario kart, so I might try and dig out my super famicom from the loft. Hopefully I still have my RGB mod SCART cable, not been analogue for a while.

while I'm here - anyone know if Net Yaroze's are worth anything?

I see one going for $300 on ebay right now but I've definitely seen them go for more than that. Also, those things look pretty sweet.

brainpann

Hey Retro Gaf! If anyone is interested, here is my RGB modded Famicom. I made the case and modded it to also play NES carts. Sorry for the shit quality of the shots. I took them with my phone.

IMG_00113.jpg

IMG_00114.jpg

And a quick little video i made of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=czTAxyWbyg8

Hey Retro Gaf! If anyone is interested, here is my RGB modded Famicom. I made the case and modded it to also play NES carts. Sorry for the shit quality of the shots. I took them with my phone.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAZk/Z-zZCohO_YA/w917-h685-no/IMG_00113.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAZs/QiU2ebOGTY8/w917-h685-no/IMG_00114.jpg

And a quick little video i made of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=czTAxyWbyg8

Super nifty mod!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Whoa.. That mod is epic! Pretty much a perfect machine! Very nice.

IrishNinja

Just to let anyone interested know, it's closer to $85 with shipping.

yeah, decided against it after the quote came in - i got a decent deal on 22 of em, hopefully wont have to reup again for a bit unless i find a good garage sale

Well i'm impressed.

In all seriousness though, you should sell those.

this, so hard - was just bitching in the NES thread about the lockout chip/VCR loading old school NES and how much i'm hating it at the moment, waiting for a replacement option is looking to take forever too. aesthetic & function here...no lie man, i'd buy one at a high price.

Shining

Hey Retro Gaf! If anyone is interested, here is my RGB modded Famicom.
That is one nice looking mod! Once you go RGB NES you never go back. I've been rocking mine with the XRGB-Mini for about six months now and it's just pure joy everytime you start it up.

(pictures of sexy ass famicom/nes)

that's sexy. you should seriously sell those.

IrishNinja

maaaaaaaaaaan

got off of work & went to hit up this yard sale with a bunch of NES & some SNES/other stuff, and my tire gave out on the way. got it fixed up, arrived an hour or so after they started..."some guy was here before we opened and just bought up everything!"

shit is getting dire out here. i'm tempted to make a craigslist ad for MY GRANDSON JUST DIED AND I HAVE 10 COPIES OF EARTH BOUND, BE AT THE MCDONALS ON 8TH & 97TH AVE AT 7AM TO NAME YOUR PRICE" and just see what my (clearly reseller) competition looks like

Ramune

Not sure if anybody can help me here.

I won a 360 VGA cable on eBay. I'm trying to grab another official one or two before they disappear. Thing is, eBay is filled with the knock-offs. And my other VGA cable is the old variety. Can anybody confirm the veracity/officialness of this cable before I pay the seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XBOX-360-VG...h%2FzIjXsNxhmnsuzeKqM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I know this is later than late, but those are knockoffs. The official one would have the Microsoft logo and a little holographic sticker underneath.

Thanks.

I actually paid for it this morning. It was one of the few listings with an acutal photo and the XBOX logo on it.

No, they are not getting hard to find just that there a bajillion knock-off cables for $5 or less...and look very similar and it is hard to go by descriptions...even at trusted sites. I've just got a lot of 360s around and a lot of VGA displays so I want to make sure I've got a couple extra cables.

I've always read that the official cables are better quality (image-wise), though I don't really see anything that would do that...maybe better shielding?

Here's some old shots I took when I first used the cables (probably setting up a 2P Otomedius G session):

tumblr_m7jtmdpq8o1qbfiiuo1_1280.jpg

Them feels.

Retro love.

#TeamCRT

Very nice! Nice and cozy feeling and ready for Winter!
Even got a box of tissues nearby! XD

IrishNinja

9PhYLPc.jpg

CfBZAvj.jpg

QdY0K6z.jpg

99wIEHR.jpg

$50 on craigslist today...the OG woodgrain 2600 at the bottom looks good too (cant wait to upscale that one, bwahaha) but those boxes all have manuals & man the JC Penny stickers on them are just icing on the cake. gonna try to straighten out the slightly banged up ones but really happy with this lot of classics!

also, much love to Mzo; snuck by his secret spot earlier & caught some other gems: Dynamite Duke (genesis), Samurai Spirits & KOF something (AES), and Alien vs Predator as well as Cybermorph (Jaguar), the latter just so i can one day play it on acid like Halverson did for his Gamefan review & see if i too can finally "play a real video game". great prices overall, and the dude running the shop is a knowledgable collector & good dude as well!

speaking of Gamefan, should have a few more issues coming in from B/S/T thread (early volumes too!), and the japanese Skies of Arcadia LE with art book & flag which my Sega shelf totally needs. now all i gotta do is track down Retro Gamer's Genesis/SNES book, kickstart this one, and i should be set for the holidays i think.

post your misc pickups too retro-GAF!

Rich!

Are we posting retro setups now? Here's my shitty retro corner!

Wii caters for NES/SNES via VC and SNES/NES controller adapters (basically, as accurate as it's gonna get). N64 is RGB modded, and the Sega Mega Drive is a model 1 50/60hz modded console. Bottom two shelves now have boxes containing controllers in them. Everything's hooked up to a CRT via RGB SCART.

Just need some decent speakers, and this poster printed and put onto the wall:

Rich!

^nice, clean setup! speakers shouldn't be too hard to come by...also lovely print, where'd you come across it?

google images lol

It'll look badass when it's printed on proper poster paper and framed. I was going to get this one done too:

As for speakers, I'm looking to get a basic set of £20 2.1 Creative speakers from amazon. That'll do.

It'll all have to wait a while til I get a decent job though.

Seik

Banned
Are we posting retro setups now? Here's my shitty retro corner!

Wii caters for NES/SNES via VC and SNES/NES controller adapters (basically, as accurate as it's gonna get). N64 is RGB modded, and the Sega Mega Drive is a model 1 50/60hz modded console. Bottom two shelves now have boxes containing controllers in them. Everything's hooked up to a CRT via RGB SCART.

Just need some decent speakers, and this poster printed and put onto the wall:

Thnx for the Secret of Mana poster shot, this will look stunning on my coming Nexus 7! :D

RM8

props to this guy, thait is so much smarter than the DS cases i gutted to not look half as nice. might have to do this sometime, for all like 4 GB carts i have about!
I thought of using zip disk cases, because I like them :p

kPyyuM4.png

But then, I was never able to find any of them, lol.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If people are looking for solid speakers for a retro corner and don't want to deal with the hassle of buying a receiver/separates, I'd recommend looking into the Swan M200 series. Both the mkII and mkIII versions of it are pretty reasonably priced, and sound quite good for the money. Definitely an upgrade over TV speakers (though in a way, I miss the ghetto-fab appeal of CRT TV speakers.)

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
picked up a pretty pristine lynx for $40 with california games then went and bought a couple other games for it for pretty cheap wanna try and go and find rygar and ninja gaiden next and maybe chips challenge

Yes Boss!

I know this is later than late, but those are knockoffs. The official one would have the Microsoft logo and a little holographic sticker underneath.

Missed this.

Turns out they were official. The ones you showed are the older version...I also have a couple of those. The new version is for the slimmer line-up.

Turns out I don't really need them as the cabs I bought them for do HDMI and look just as good...probably even better.

IrishNinja

picked up a pretty pristine lynx for $40 with california games then went and bought a couple other games for it for pretty cheap wanna try and go and find rygar and ninja gaiden next and maybe chips challenge

awesome deal! does the screen hold up or tend to fade like the game gear ones do?

Yes Boss!

Get that Chip's Challenge!

I played that during far too many Saturday Schools and Detentions in High School.

Ramune

Missed this.

Turns out they were official. The ones you showed are the older version...I also have a couple of those. The new version is for the slimmer line-up.

Turns out I don't really need them as the cabs I bought them for do HDMI and look just as good...probably even better.

Whew! Thank goodness! Nothing worse than being boned on bootlegs. Glad to hear everything turned out for the better then. :)

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
poor self control bought
sealed rygar
sealed kung food
sealed rampart
sealed apb
chips challenge
blue lightning
robo squash
tournament cyberball

and i might buy gauntlet

Rich!

Cleaned my old DMG earlier inside and out:

Screen has some deep marks, but I can get a new lens - so that's cool. Transparent consoles are so good. Why are they not around anymore?!

Top Bottom