• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 Commercial During Monday Night Football (ESPN)

DieH@rd

Banned
Was a tricky one:

ibgov2LyaJ4Vq.gif

GAF always delivers :)

DBT85

Oh, do we do watermarks nowadays? To mark it as our own work, or a product of Neogaf? I might have to think about that for next time.

Just put something down in the bottom corner, your name or GAF handle or twitter handle or something.

A good gif spreads like wildfire and all sorts of people claim it for themselves, or they post it and people assume they did it. It's a shame when the people responsible for the GIF don't get the credit.

Obviously don;t bother with ones that are just cut straight from the video, but ones where you have done an edit like that, definitely.

PaulloDEC

Just put something down in the bottom corner, your name or GAF handle or twitter handle or something.

A good gif spreads like wildfire and all sorts of people claim it for themselves, or they post it and people assume they did it. It's a shame when the people responsible for the GIF don't get the credit.

Obviously don;t bother with ones that are just cut straight from the video, but ones where you have done an edit like that, definitely.

Gotcha. Might put a little NeoGAF orb in the corner next time. Not too concerned about people stealing personal credit when I'm the only one with the high-res working files, but it'd be nice to have it attributed to GAF.

Also, cheers for all the nice comments!

Mifune

Mehmber
That's a pretty cool commercial. Great classy song choice, good production values. Its message reminds me of that cool water balloon Jump In commercial from back in the early 360 days. In fact, the whole thing feels like an Xbox commercial, what with the striking juxtaposition of music and visuals (thinking of Halo 3 and Gears ads).

Microsoft, you're up.

Rflagg

I thought it was a fun ad, but I wouldn't want or expect all the ads to be live action. They might have been better off showing almost the same thing, but with real game footage or a boring montage ad.(for this ad spot at least)

Also great work of the gif.

i knew i shouldn't have watched the ad. i find these types of ads that don't tell me anything very annoying. piss me off more than anything.

60 seconds and not even one second of showing a PS4 game or even the console or controller. just manipulative bullshit imagery.

That's a pretty cool commercial. Great classy song choice, good production values. Its message reminds me of that cool water balloon Jump In commercial from back in the early 360 days. In fact, the whole thing feels like an Xbox commercial, what with the striking juxtaposition of music and visuals (thinking of Halo 3 and Gears ads).

Microsoft, you're up.

yeah.. that shit has gotten REAL old by now. come up with something new, please.

Mifune

Mehmber
i knew i shouldn't have watched the ad. i find these types of ads that don't tell me anything very annoying. piss me off more than anything.

60 seconds and not even one second of showing a PS4 game or even the console or controller. just manipulative bullshit imagery.

yeah.. that shit has gotten REAL old by now. come up with something new, please.

The Xbox 360 Jump In commercial was awesome and it didn't even hint at the fact that it was a game console. Just the Xbox name.

As far as being tired of juxtaposing music and visuals, well that I don't understand. Are you sick of color in movies too?

Jack cw

And what would that new be? Getting an image into peoples minds is the hardest thing in marketing and that ad is fantastic in so many ways - it plays with your imagination. Its sad that some people are so full of hatred that they cant enjoy a gem like this...

Piggus

Good lord, it's like some of you have never seen a console ad in your entire life.

Let's have a refresher, shall we?

PS2 "Mountain" ad

PS2 "Red Balloon" ad

PS2 "Double Life" ad

PS2 "PS9" ad

Xbox 360 "Balloons" ad

Xbox 360 "Bang" ad

NOTICE ANYTHING? No gameplay. No console. They don't fucking need to show games or the system. The ads are to spread awareness of the existence of the product, which is fine since they're new versions of an existing brand. People will see the games and the systems when they look into it more. The goal is to make people realize "Oh, there's a new PlayStation coming out soon. I should find out more about it." That's it. And these ads are effective in at the very least being memorable or catchy.

Double Life and PS9 are two of the most famous game-related ads ever made. If they were just "durr here's Tekken Tag Tournament, Midnight Club, and a black box" nobody would remember them.

Bradach

I like this style of ad. COD done some similar ads that were quite fun too.

It shows non-gamers how it can be fun to play online with others without showing them graphics or controllers. Its clever I think

QaaQer

And what would that new be? Getting an image into peoples minds is the hardest thing in marketing and that ad is fantastic in so many ways - it plays with your imagination. Its sad that some people are so full of hatred that they cant enjoy a gem like this...

As piece of artistic work, which advertising often is, the ad is stellar. I'll just quote a post above:

It made me happy and I laughed. I liked it.

What more could you want from a 30s spot?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Good lord, it's like some of you have never seen a console ad in your entire life.

Let's have a refresher, shall we?

PS2 "Mountain" ad

PS2 "Red Balloon" ad

PS2 "Double Life" ad

PS2 "PS9" ad

Xbox 360 "Balloons" ad

Xbox 360 "Bang" ad

NOTICE ANYTHING? No gameplay. No console. They don't fucking need to show games or the system. The ads are to spread awareness of the existence of the product, which is fine since they're new versions of an existing brand. People will see the games and the systems when they look into it more. The goal is to make people realize "Oh, there's a new PlayStation coming out soon. I should find out more about it." That's it. And these ads are effective in at the very least being memorable or catchy.

Double Life and PS9 are two of the most famous game-related ads ever made. If they were just "durr here's Tekken Tag Tournament, Midnight Club, and a black box" nobody would remember them.
Wow this is a good commercial. It sure as hell got my attention. And the theme clashing is great.
Hah. That kept me invested... weird. Didn't think commercials could do that.
Classic EU Sony. I don't know if that would fly in the US these days huh?
They're totally gonna release one of these before the Playstation brand ends, if it ever does.
Okay seriously, did the same person do the Mountain ad?
This and the new one and Perfect Day are tied in my opinion. But, this one might have the edge.

Seriously, did the same person do Mountain and Bang and Balloon?

DBT85

The singing complaints make me chuckle.

On one had we have some people that complain that all the actors and models in adverts and press images are too good looking and clean, and on the other we have other people complaining that the singing in an advert wasn't good enough.

I can only imagine the perfect character to suit all tastes for a gaming advert is a 270lb short guy with huge thick glasses, greasy hair, Doritos in his neckbeard, wearing baggy jeans, scuffed trainers and a Firefly t-shirt who can bust out a voice like a platinum selling singer.

Into

There is a ton of split opinion on just how much commercials and adverts do for a product. Ive always personally believed that their impact is much smaller than most people believe. If your product is attractive, people will buy into it.

Its why the praise for Wii's commercials is so misplaced. Some people think the Wii sold well because the adverts were so great "Wii would like to play". But the Wii was such a novelty that any commercial would have worked, it had immense appeal as a product alone.

Had the PS3 been priced at 399, and came with good games. It would have done much better, and suddenly those weird dead mannequin babies with blood coming out of their eyes would have looked like pure genius marketing.

Its kinda like sports, if your team wins a lot, people praise the players, the one superstar. If the team is losing, everyone blames the coach/manager.

In advertising, if something does badly, people blame the product (Zune). If something does well they sometimes praise the advertising.

That price Sony put on the PS4 will do more for their console than any commercial ever will.

Going to post a radical idea here

I'll trust the marketing divisions who've done a $hit ton of research on viewer ship that this was the right commercial for that program.

QaaQer

<_< Uh. Nothing? Was I meant to respond to this post? You confused me. I am confused
KuGsj.gif

haha, no I was just using your reaction as an illustration of why this ad works. Getting an audience to feel the way you did means the creative people did a great job. I felt the same way after watching it btw.

Ishan

The singing complaints make me chuckle.

On one had we have some people that complain that all the actors and models in adverts and press images are too good looking and clean, and on the other we have other people complaining that the singing in an advert wasn't good enough.

I can only imagine the perfect character to suit all tastes for a gaming advert is a 270lb short guy with huge thick glasses, greasy hair, Doritos in his neckbeard, wearing baggy jeans, scuffed trainers and a Firefly t-shirt who can bust out a voice like a platinum selling singer.

essentially youre saying something like this is the key to everyone liking something and it going viral?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk :)

jiggles

Banned
I think the live-action games thing Sony's doing with their advertising lately is a bit hit and miss. While the effort they put in to making it look authentic is awesome, some stuff just doesn't translate well to the real world and ends up looking really goofy.

The music choice is bad, though. If you compare this to the sort of smart song choices Microsoft tend to make with trailers, it just seems out of touch. The guys can't sing very well either, and it's pretty cringeworthy as a result.

There is a ton of split opinion on just how much commercials and adverts do for a product. Ive always personally believed that their impact is much smaller than most people believe. If your product is attractive, people will buy into it.

10 different marketing teams would have 10 different views and opinions about how much adverts and commercials do for a product, but I think most would say that they're necessary, sometimes out of frustration.

My company had avoided doing a major ad/commercial push in the past 2 years, and our sales hasn't shown any major decline y-o-y, but when research agencies go out to do study about our brand's 'awareness' compared to competitors, it has dropped significantly.

We've also damaged ourselves a little bit in terms of 'favour with retailers', because without any major ad campaigns, retailers feel like the brand is not helping the frontline sellers push the product. An excellent product sells itself, but brand awareness matter a lot in the frontlines, because that is part and parcel of getting the conversations about your brand and brand identity going.

Sometimes you simply have be in the advertising and commercial game to ensure that you maintain parity against competitors. The reality is that for most parts, commercials do have an impact in building brand awareness, and companies continue to invest in them because it's proven to do so.

PaulloDEC

I think the live-action games thing Sony's doing with their advertising lately is a bit hit and miss. While the effort they put in to making it look authentic is awesome, some stuff just doesn't translate well to the real world and ends up looking really goofy.

The music choice is bad, though. If you compare this to the sort of smart song choices Microsoft tend to make with trailers, it just seems out of touch. The guys can't sing very well either, and it's pretty cringeworthy as a result.

I'm amazed so many people find this to be an issue. The whole point is that they're ordinary dudes, and the off-key singing is a key part of that.

Mifune

Mehmber

I wouldn't say those song choices are particularly smart. You could choose any song, cut the trailer to it, and get a similar result.

Nice. Always nice to hear Lou sing :).

I like the commercial.

I'm amazed so many people find this to be an issue. The whole point is that they're ordinary dudes, and the off-key singing is a key part of that.

exactly. Ridiculous if you don't understand the basic concept of this commercial

Top Bottom