• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Sorry to hear that Solo :(

I found out Naylor is off the TSN Toronto morning show now. I thought "Landsberg in the Morning" was a joke until they actually ran ads for it. They never really gelled together anyways.

imBask

Banned
We learned this week that Waite has in his contract that the coach CANNOT talk to Price, period (source : Martin Lemay and Rejean Tremblay both reported the same thing on the radio)

Therrien said he basically didn't say a word to Price at all during his last season here. Even after that 10-0 defeat where Price looked at Therrien when he got pulled out of the game, Therrien was not allowed to talk to him to explain the decision (which wasn't even his decision, it was Waite's).

This is absolutely insane

Holiday

Banned
We learned this week that Waite has in his contract that the coach CANNOT talk to Price, period (source : Martin Lemay and Rejean Tremblay both reported the same thing on the radio)

Therrien said he basically didn't say a word to Price at all during his last season here. Even after that 10-0 defeat where Price looked at Therrien when he got pulled out of the game, Therrien was not allowed to talk to him to explain the decision (which wasn't even his decision, it was Waite's).

Price going full Doug Remer.

Cactus

Banned

That's completely absurd. What the fuck

Jonathan Huberdeau, W, Florida Panthers: The referees are way different than they are in the season. I don't think in any other sport they're that different. In football, they're going to call something in the Super Bowl, last second. In hockey, sometimes it's less penalties [in the playoffs].

I think there is a specific incident that he referencing.......

Oh boy...

Connor McDavid, C, Edmonton Oilers: I feel like everyone says to put the red line back in. Just because teams are now -- they just trap. They just sit back. Put the red line back in and everyone has to come back and regroup and build speed and come through the neutral zone. That could either help it or completely hinder it because now you just can't get to the neutral zone anymore. I don't really know what the answer is, but just find a way to make that neutral zone easier. Nowadays teams just throw up the 1-3-1 or the 4 and you just have to chip in every time and it gets kind of boring to watch.

Back in the day taking out the red line was supposed to eliminate the trap because it would make it harder to defend against stretch passes and create more space. Now he wants it back in to regroup and build speed. Kids probably too young to remember how it was. How about you just get rid of fucking traps? Illegal defence, two minutes.

And then you have geniuses like this guy:

Tuukka Rask, G, Boston Bruins: I would bring the two-line pass back. It would slow the game down a little bit. I like the old-school game. They looked so much more fun on TV.

Go thrill yourself with chess.

PillarEN

You can't add the two line pass in now when the blue lines are closer to each other than they were before the rule was take out.

Or I mean you could, but the space between the blue line and red line is smaller today so...

Oh boy...

Back in the day taking out the red line was supposed to eliminate the trap because it would make it harder to defend against stretch passes and create more space. Now he wants it back in to regroup and build speed. Kids probably too young to remember how it was. How about you just get rid of fucking traps? Illegal defence, two minutes.

And then you have geniuses like this guy:

Go thrill yourself with chess.

Yeah I didn't get this at all. As a way to slow to game down to maybe mitigate the severity of injuries? Sure. But not to increase scoring. I think back when they got rid of the two line pass scoring did go up for a season or two, it did eventually come back down.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah I didn't get this at all. As a way to slow to game down to maybe mitigate the severity of injuries? Sure. But not to increase scoring. I think back when they got rid of the two line pass scoring did go up for a season or two, it did eventually come back down.
But down to the same levels as pre-lockout?

But down to the same levels as pre-lockout?

I know I read it somewhere but I figured I might as well check. I averaged the goals per team per game averages from 93-94 to lockout and lockout to 16-17. The difference is 0.0025 goals more after the rule change (2.81 goals in the dead puck era, 2.8125 after the lockout) according to hockey-reference anyways. Pretty close: that 0.025 will show up as an extra goal in three games for the entire season for the entire league. But not exactly the same levels 😉

Ondor

Banned
Good watch for a Canucks fan. Little bits of new info. But Benning is an excitement antidote. His intonation is completely fucked. How he's made a career for himself is anyone's fucking guess.
He used to scout for the Bruins. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a job requirement over there.

Have you listened to Travis Green at all? I find him pretty articulate and I'm pretty happy he got head coach. I think he'll be a huge improvement over Willie D.

Socreges

Banned
I know I read it somewhere but I figured I might as well check. I averaged the goals per team per game averages from 93-94 to lockout and lockout to 16-17. The difference is 0.0025 goals more after the rule change (2.81 goals in the dead puck era, 2.8125 after the lockout) according to hockey-reference anyways. Pretty close: that 0.025 will show up as an extra goal in three games for the entire season for the entire league. But not exactly the same levels 😉
That's a bit insincere to the conversation imo. Including 93-94 etc, when scoring was still very high, distorts the data

https://www.sportingcharts.com/arti...s-scored-per-game-in-the-nhl.aspx#mobile-menu

Scoring has been better in recent years than pre-lockout levels, but not by much. Last season saw an uptick, though.

Pikma

Banned
Stars prospects allowing 14 goals in two games make me believe they're all ready to make the jump to the NHL Roster, I wouldn't even notice the difference

Also before I forget, thank you all for the messages/posts this past week, just to give you guys an update I obviously haven't gotten out of the hole yet as I reckon it'll take time and hard work, which I'm more than willing to put in because honestly I hate feeling like this, but these past few days I have felt considerably less shit than last week so baby steps I guess...

Solo

Sucks dude. Unless it was your idea, in which case it sucks dude but probably for the best etc.

Solo ��

sorry to hear that, Solo.

Sorry man, that's rough.

Sorry to hear about your breakup, Solo.

Now that's some shit timing. Depends on who was the initiator I suppose, but it's not easy regardless. Anything I can say is fucking worthless but still, positive energy and good vibes your way mate. I've been on both sides of that and they both suck =/

Shit... Sorry buddy.

Solo, you may have lost your Subban, but you'll find your Weber.

Damn, sorry to hear that man. Was it out of nowhere or had you guys been rocky already? Sucks either way, damn

Montreal XXX Massage time?

Sorry to hear it, Solo.

That sucks man, was it mutual or something worse? Way back my ex and I broke up after I found out she was still seeing her old boyfriend on the side. Not happy times.

Solo :(

Apparently it's break up season ��

Sorry to hear that Solo :(

Aw dude I'm sorry to hear that :(

Thanks guys. Nothing scandalous like she was cheating or anything. She did the breaking up but it's quasi mutual, if that makes any sense? One of those things that is simultaneously surprising and yet not surprising at all.

Basically it amounts to our relationship changing a lot. The first 1.5 years it was all hot and heavy, and over the past 1.5 years it's kind of morphed into more of a platonic friends-with-benefits thing. Like, we'll still kiss and have sex, but it's not like it was when we couldn't keep our hands off each other. To quote Michel Therrien, we "lost da passion". I guess it is something I've been acutely aware of and bothered by, but we love each other so much and are so compatible in every other way that I guess we both willfully turned a blind eye to it. She finally decided it wasn't how she wanted to live the rest of her life. And if I'm being honest with myself, I don't find myself attracted to her strongly in the romantic way I used to.

It still hurts like hell though. We've lived together for 2.5 years, we have 2 dogs together, and I'd always pictured marrying her. So in one fell swoop I'm losing my girlfriend, my best friend, and my family (as the dogs will both go with her). And starting over again at 34 isn't something I pictured for myself.

imBask

Banned
Stars prospects allowing 14 goals in two games make me believe they're all ready to make the jump to the NHL Roster, I wouldn't even notice the difference

Also before I forget, thank you all for the messages/posts this past week, just to give you guys an update I obviously haven't gotten out of the hole yet as I reckon it'll take time and hard work, which I'm more than willing to put in because honestly I hate feeling like this, but these past few days I have felt considerably less shit than last week so baby steps I guess...

WE LOVE YOU STARS ARE MAKING THE PLAYOFFS

Holiday

Banned

:)

That's a bit insincere to the conversation imo. Including 93-94 etc, when scoring was still very high, distorts the data

https://www.sportingcharts.com/arti...s-scored-per-game-in-the-nhl.aspx#mobile-menu

Scoring has been better in recent years than pre-lockout levels, but not by much. Last season saw an uptick, though.

That's fair enough - my logic was to use the large drop of the 93-94 season from the 92-93 season (-0.39) as a starting point of the continuing trend. Omitting that year leads to 2.767 pre-lockout to 2.8125. So the league isn't exactly there yet but it is getting close. It roughly works out to an extra goal every 22 games which isn't too bad in comparison.

Last season had an increase of an added goal every 16ish games versus the one before for reference (+0.06 on the average) and I know at least I felt that effect. Hopefully the trend continues with a full season of smaller goalie pants.

Keep at it Pikma :)

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member

Keep it up =)

And my God have the Stars suck at developing prospects in recent years...

Top Bottom