• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resumes: Thief 4 Has Online, Is Using Unreal Engine 3, Other Info

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just an FYI, the previous Thief game ran on Unreal Engine 2. So UE3 for the next game isn't that much of a surprise.
Yes, but it wasn't really a good choice. UE2 was very limited in terms of map size and was not capable of streaming new map data. The missions in Thief 3 were contained within much smaller areas than Thief 1 or 2 and often were divided into multiple zones. The game was still good but the engine did it no favors.

UE3 is much more capable, however, and should be able to deliver large, open maps.

Please don't be modern day, please don't be modern day, please don't be modern day... etc.

Does this look like modern day to you? :)

Kp4oN.jpg

9jnH5.jpg

cVU7E.jpg

dM4CN.jpg

ezekial45

Banned
Yes, but it wasn't really a good choice. UE2 was very limited in terms of map size and was not capable of streaming new map data. The missions in Thief 3 were contained within much smaller areas than Thief 1 or 2 and often were divided into multiple zones. The game was still good but the engine did it no favors.

UE3 is much more capable, however, and should be able to deliver large, open maps.

Sure. Though to it's credit, it was a heavily modified version of UE2. But in any case, UE isn't too foreign of an engine for the series. And UE3 is amazing, so it should be pretty good for this game.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Looks like there's going to be a city hub area like Deadly Shadows. This is potentially a good thing, despite Thief 3's mixed execution of the concept.

Truant

HR managed to look amazing at times, despite the dated tech. I think UE3 will be just fine for T4, as long as they can get proper soft shadows in there.

Wasn't that because of the Xbox RAM limitations and not the engine itself?

Wasn't there a multiplayer Thief mod for unreal 2 or quake 3? Anyone played it?

You are probably thinking of Thievery.

Derrick01

Banned
Can't believe I missed this thread but I can't even muster any anger over online anymore. There's no dignity left in the majority of devs and it's happened so many times this gen I can't do anything but just roll my eyes anymore.

I hope it's tacked on. The single player should get 95% of the focus.

I'm optimistic that portion of it will turn out good.

And that off screen shot is definitely not modern looking. The guy in the distance has armor and is carrying a long bow. And the streetlight has some kind of banner hanging from it. The building in the distance looks gigantic. Thief 3's biggest flaw was the loading zones and reduced scale of the levels. That shouldn't be a problem with the Thief 4.

I wouldn't mind a return of the undead ridden "dungeon" type levels of Thief TDP. It's a nice change of pace from the usual burglary missions. Although it should keep all the factions and elements introduced in TMA and Thief 3. And rope arrows are a must have feature.

Thief 4 will be mine on day one.

Chaos Theory is the best competitive multiplayer videogame ever made. Better than Super Turbo, better than Counter-Strike, better than Starcraft.

Satoho

Banned
I am very grateful for the amount of info you've gathered :) Only thing I was excited to hear about last E3 along with Last Guardian. Hopefully Thief 4 gets mentioned this E3.

Deus Ex: HR really sold me on Eidos Montreal's prowess as a developer. I think Thief 4 has the potential to be something really, really great.

I hope it's tacked on. The single player should get 95% of the focus.

It depends, done properly, (e.g. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory) I've always thought that Thief could have a really unique and fantastic multiplayer component - killing in Thief has always been something that you can't do (if you play on hardest difficulty) and I'd like to see a multi-player game do something great with that kind of constraint.

Of course I would not want that to come at the expense of the single-player.

Thief 4 is my most anticipated game, bar none.

No real info, but great thread to remind me that Montreal are still on the case!

mantidor

Celebrated single player games have included online play, and Unreal 3 can really shine when it's used well. Even taken together, this news is not enough to engage doom and gloom mode.

is not enough to engage in the opposite either.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
After how good of a first try Deus Ex: HR is, I'm eager about anything Montreal does, especially related to old IPs.

Multiplayer could be fun, does it say competitive? Could be co-op like in the splinter cell games. That was incredibly fun. I think Eidos is probably my favorite developer right now, even though Tomb Raider looks a little too 'cinematic' for me.

Derrick01

Banned
Deus Ex: HR really sold me on Eidos Montreal's prowess as a developer. I think Thief 4 has the potential to be something really, really great.

This is a different team within EM though. The Deus Ex team is working on dlc or another title by now and EM hasn't put anything else out.

I mean I'm still looking forward to see how this turns out but Deus Ex turning out well means nothing for this game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This is a different team within EM though. The Deus Ex team is working on dlc or another title by now and EM hasn't put anything else out.

I mean I'm still looking forward to see how this turns out but Deus Ex turning out well means nothing for this game.

It means plenty. It's still part of the same company, in the same work space, with the same company idea.

Ryan_IGN

It depends, done properly, (e.g. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory) I've always thought that Thief could have a really unique and fantastic multiplayer component - killing in Thief has always been something that you can't do (if you play on hardest difficulty) and I'd like to see a multi-player game do something great with that kind of constraint.

If you're going to make this comparison, just remember that a different team (Ubisoft Annecy) did Splinter Cell's amazing multiplayer mode. Ubisoft Montreal did the campaign (and the co-op missions too). Perhaps the same sort of arrangement will end up being the case with Thief 4's campaign and multiplayer modes, but for right now we're presuming that Eidos Montreal is handling the whole project.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'd bet cash on that T4 will in no way shape or form approach or, god forbid, transcend the original games. Just like HR.
Why do you feel this way? And I thought Human Revolution was a fantastic game, certainly a worthy successor to the first game. Look, there will always be people who think it doesn't "approach" the original games, and Thief 3 faced the exact same thing. It's just too early to say anything like this, since this game is in good hands and no one has even sampled it yet.

Top Bottom