• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
my home screen isn't showing the weather anymore how do I get the weather back

Assuming you haven't told Google Now to stop giving you weather updates, you can try going to the Google Now pane to the left of the home screen and pulling it down to refresh, sometimes that'll update the home screen widget. It'll usually revert to the date for me after a reboot before the weather finally loads.

My Pixel should be arriving on Monday. Kinda feel like maybe I should hunt for a decent case? I really don't want a clunky one. Could be into a game-related one.. Any suggestions? Are there lots of cases out there for the Pixel at this point?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
so been using it for a week now, really like the phone. Great battery life, haven't had chance to take too many pics.

My Pixel should be arriving on Monday. Kinda feel like maybe I should hunt for a decent case? I really don't want a clunky one. Could be into a game-related one.. Any suggestions? Are there lots of cases out there for the Pixel at this point?

I already bought my case, its slightly bigger than I wanted to be. But if I were to get another one, I would go for RhinoShield.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3RIWBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

71kn2AjEprL._SL1500_.jpg

And put a dbrand skin to make it look fancy.

This is what I am going to do next year, don't want to spend $50 right now lol

-shadow-

My Nexus 5 has a cracked screen since short and since the last update the microphone doesn't work anymore either (though it's nearing three years). So I'm looking ito replacing it with a Pixel but that thing is ridiculously expensive even with a deal. Would I be missing out on much if I would go with the Nexus 6p instead?

My Nexus 5 has a cracked screen since short and since the last update the microphone doesn't work anymore either (though it's nearing three years). So I'm looking ito replacing it with a Pixel but that thing is ridiculously expensive even with a deal. Would I be missing out on much if I would go with the Nexus 6p instead?

Well, they will stop guaranteeing updates with major OS revisions September next year.

Pixel also has way better battery life.

The camera on the Pixel is awesome.

Is that worth hundreds of extra dollars? Up to you.

Activated Project Fi today and finally had a chance to use my Pixel XL. Damn this thing is nice. Coming from a G4 which I really enjoyed but this is in another league. So smooth and fast. G4 did have a nice camera but looking forward to what this one can do. Still debating on going with Nova Launcher but will run stock for a while to see how it is. Glad to be done with Verizon.

EulaCapra

Just got my free Daydream VR set.... Watching VR videos is amazing to watch but terrible at the same time on regular Pixel size. Everything looks like a 360p video.

Also, any recommendations on the games EARTHSHAPE and Sherlock Holmes? Barely any reviews to take a bet on.

Activated Project Fi today and finally had a chance to use my Pixel XL. Damn this thing is nice. Coming from a G4 which I really enjoyed but this is in another league. So smooth and fast. G4 did have a nice camera but looking forward to what this one can do. Still debating on going with Nova Launcher but will run stock for a while to see how it is. Glad to be done with Verizon.

My wife and I are on Fi, it's a great service if you fit into a use-case of being in a relatively large city, drive on major highways, and stay on, or near WiFi most of the day. The Google Connection service and automated VPN are pretty seemless. I have found that some smaller open networks don't like the VPN at all, but in that case you can make the determination as to whether you will forget the network and then login manually (manually engaging a network stops the G-connect VPN from engaging). I have 2GB and my wife has 1GB and we have been using less than half that this past month. YMMV

Nova is on sale for $0.99, you should get it, you won't be disappointed. With UI Tuner turned on, my phone is super minimalistic, and I lurve it.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I hate these on screen buttons. I had Lumia 950 XL before which also has on screen buttons. But whemever I dont need it, you can just slide it down and hide it. And swipe up to bring them back. On this unless you are watching a video, they stay there all the fucking time.

So the sceen is neverturely 5.5".

I hate these on screen buttons. I had Lumia 950 XL before which also has on screen buttons. But whemever I dont need it, you can just slide it down and hide it. And swipe up to bring them back. On this unless you are watching a video, they stay there all the fucking time.

So the sceen is neverturely 5.5".

The Nexus 6P also had on-screen buttons and my big issue with those was that after a few months they (and the bar at the top) "burned" into the screen.

-shadow-

Well, they will stop guaranteeing updates with major OS revisions September next year.

Pixel also has way better battery life.

The camera on the Pixel is awesome.

Is that worth hundreds of extra dollars? Up to you.

The camera and battery don't matter that much, but only potentially until September getting updates is unpleasant to think about.But on the other hand four hundred bucks seems a bit much for just that on the other hand. I'll check it out some more, thanks.

The Nexus 6P also had on-screen buttons and my big issue with those was that after a few months they (and the bar at the top) "burned" into the screen.

No problems of this on my regular Nexus 5, but shame that the 6p has a problem like this.

Hey, quick question - is this phone worth getting if I already own a Galaxy S5? Is there really a legit reason? My S5 is really lagging lately but I feel there's a point of diminishing returns with phones now.

I want to. But should I...

Hey, quick question - is this phone worth getting if I already own a Galaxy S5? Is there really a legit reason? My S5 is really lagging lately but I feel there's a point of diminishing returns with phones now.

that's a big ass upgrade man, of course it's worth it. It's way faster way smoother way better camera etc...

You could always wait until the pixel 2 if you're happy with your s5 but it's a big upgrade regardless

SMattera

The Pixel is way better than the GS5. You will definitely notice.

Entropia

No One Remembers

I came from a Galaxy S5. No regrets.

I was playing around with my S5 today to factory reset it and everything felt so off about it after using my Pixel the last month.

jonezer4

Maybe it's using wifi calling or volte. Check your settings.

I'm on project Fi and sometimes it will take the call over my wifi router and if I'm not in good range the quality is shit.

Conversely, turning on Wi-Fi calling, which the phone falls back on from my house, was the only way to get decent call quality. And it's not like I live in a rural area, it's pretty perplexing.

suberzat

Debating on getting the black Pixel XL since today is my last day to use this loaner phone. Just wish there was an option to get the 128 gb instead of the 32 gb though Google. I've waited this long for the XL to restock. Maybe it's time to pull the trigger.

andthebeatgoeson

Anybody getting bad gps signals/directions on waze? It constantly redirects. It assumes I'm getting off every exit, redirects me onto the on-ramp and takes forever to update while i continue along my straight path.

The circle indicator is pretty large, crosses both sides of an interstate. So, it's not accurate.

But Google maps has a pretty good tight gps circle. So i assume the gps function is okay.

Upgrade. It's leagues better, especially if your S5 has been lagging like mine.

My wife and I both have/had Galaxy S5's as well. She was down at the store the other day getting herself an iphone SE because the S5 was always too big for her hands and she had a cracked screen. While she was there, she picked me up a Pixel. I wasn't looking for a new phone. My S5 has done everything I need to this day. Probably the best phone I have ever had, even though it's not perfect. I haven't even taken the Pixel out of the box yet since it's such a pain to get everything setup the way I like it on a new phone.

Meh, replaced my pixel with a new one but having the same problems with slow LTE speed. I even switched to Project Fi and it's the same which is disappointing. I really love the phone but wow this makes me unhappy.
Again, not sure what to do. Sorry for complaining.

SMattera

My wife and I both have/had Galaxy S5's as well. She was down at the store the other day getting herself an iphone SE because the S5 was always too big for her hands and she had a cracked screen. While she was there, she picked me up a Pixel. I wasn't looking for a new phone. My S5 has done everything I need to this day. Probably the best phone I have ever had, even though it's not perfect. I haven't even taken the Pixel out of the box yet since it's such a pain to get everything setup the way I like it on a new phone.

The hour that it takes you to set it up is more than worth it

Eiolon

I have a question about the front camera. With my Galaxy phones I liked that it was zoomed out so I could get a lot of people in my shots for selfies. I switched to an iPhone and have found you need a selfie stick to get the same amount in the frame as I could with the Note phone. Does anyone know if the front camera is more like the Galaxy or more like the iPhone?

I'm gonna need to upgrade my phone soon, only ever had an iPhone 6 - was wondering how easy the transition would be? Pixel seems preferable to another new iPhone due to the specs and the fact it doesn't appear to drop hardware stuff for no reason.

SMattera

I'm gonna need to upgrade my phone soon, only ever had an iPhone 6 - was wondering how easy the transition would be? Pixel seems preferable to another new iPhone due to the specs and the fact it doesn't appear to drop hardware stuff for no reason.

Depends on how dependent you are on Apple services. If you use iMessage, iCloud, Apple Music, etc. a lot it could be rough. If not, it's pretty easy. It's really easy if you mostly use Google services.

Depends on how dependent you are on Apple services. If you use iMessage, iCloud, Apple Music, etc. a lot it could be rough. If not, it's pretty easy. It's really easy if you mostly use Google services.

I use iMessage kinda passively, wouldn't miss the absence if I got a good contract. iCloud I think just for photos, anything else I rarely use.

thespot84

I have a question about the front camera. With my Galaxy phones I liked that it was zoomed out so I could get a lot of people in my shots for selfies. I switched to an iPhone and have found you need a selfie stick to get the same amount in the frame as I could with the Note phone. Does anyone know if the front camera is more like the Galaxy or more like the iPhone?

the galaxy s6 had a 22mm effective focal length in the front, 28mm in the back (http://www.anandtech.com/show/9146/the-samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-review/8)

the pixel has 26mm (a little narrower than the galaxy, or 'zoomed in') in the front, and 26mm in the back, wider than the galaxy.

Effectively, the google's 26mm front camera will have a 70 degree horizontal field of view, while the 22mm front camera on the galaxy would be 79 degrees. If your arm is extended two feet in front of you for a selfie, the foreground will be 2.7 feet on the pixel, 3.2 feet on the galaxy, so it's a difference on 6 inches.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/field_of_view.html

I use iMessage kinda passively, wouldn't miss the absence if I got a good contract. iCloud I think just for photos, anything else I rarely use.

Please report back on how orgasmic your experience with google photos is on a scale from 10-11

Alright so I gave in and bought a pixel. All seems OK except when I plug in my headphones I just get static noise. This happens at all volumes.. The loud speaker on the phone itself is normal though.

Any ideas?

SMattera

Alright so I gave in and bought a pixel. All seems OK except when I plug in my headphones I just get static noise. This happens at all volumes.. The loud speaker on the phone itself is normal though.

Any ideas?

Restart the phone. Try different headphones. If that doesn't work, contact support.

Any ideas?

There have been some reports of a possible software issue causing audio problems (apparently not limited to the Pixel):
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/5jdteg/i_believe_the_audio_poppingcrackling_may_be_a/

Not sure if this is the same as your problem but may be something to look into.

andthebeatgoeson

There have been some reports of a possible software issue causing audio problems (apparently not limited to the Pixel):
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/5jdteg/i_believe_the_audio_poppingcrackling_may_be_a/

Not sure if this is the same as your problem but may be something to look into.
Yeah, it's an issue. I get popping from my actual speaker when i get notifications. I can play the notification sound without problems. But if the app notifies me, it crackles.

Hopefully, they'll address it soon.

Tried different headphones. The pair in question worked initially.. Although the phone kept turning the volume down by itself. After a reboot it now just plays noise when connected to headphones, any app, any volume.

Worth returning the phone for replacement? Software update?

SMattera

If a reboot fixed it, I wouldn't worry about it. Every mobile device I've ever owned has required the occasional reboot to fix a software glitch or two.

EDIT: Unless I'm not getting what you meant. If it's static, I would return it for a replacement.

andthebeatgoeson

Tried different headphones. The pair in question worked initially.. Although the phone kept turning the volume down by itself. After a reboot it now just plays noise when connected to headphones, any app, any volume.

Worth returning the phone for replacement? Software update?
What do you mean, 'just noise'? Normal sounds or something else?

andthebeatgoeson

Yeah, it's an issue. I get popping from my actual speaker when i get notifications. I can play the notification sound without problems. But if the app notifies me, it crackles.

Hopefully, they'll address it soon.
Welp, turned off vibration with my texts and the popping stopped. Unfortunately, i need vibration with one app but I'll turn it off with all others.

They may not be an OS problem. Do other people have this problem? Should i return it?

Pejo

I'm really torn on my phone upgrade. I've narrowed it down to either a Pixel or a Oneplus 3T. I currently have a Oneplus 1, and am pretty happy with it overall, other than battery life and a terrible camera.

Any of you guys do an upgrade from a Oneplus 1 or 2 to a Pixel? Thoughts about it if so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom