• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You've heard of Elf on the Shelf, now get ready for..."

Zubz

Banned
DJ4NawhX0AEYMa4.jpg:small

Found here: https://mobile.twitter.com/daoswords/status/909178939972755458/photo/1

I was expecting disappointment, but now I'm hooked.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
In the US, sauce definitely rhymes with loss.

I drove my Brit counterparts in Afghanistan crazy with word pronunciation. The best was Jaguar...they would be legitimately pissed.
Jag-u-ar

Not jagwar no no no

wait, theypronounce it way in French. so ahh makes sense the American accent is a combination of Irish and French. so ok that makes sense, and some words in English were taken from the french.
language is fascinating.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Jag-u-ar

Not jagwar no no no

jag-u-ar is stupid

it's like somebody in Britain saw the word "jaguar" written down and didn't know how to really pronounce it, so they just went "jag-u-ar" like a child or something

Nuts2U

The ones where people post two random things that happen to rhyme (goku on sudoku, etc) are not the point of the joke. It's supposed to actually make a point about something in the process, like the Yahtzee one. Otherwise it's just literally making a stupid photoshop of two random rhyming nouns, which is...like, man, it's a bad meme anyway, but not even putting effort into it, what's even the point?

Yahtzee one is legit good though

jstripes

Banned
The ones where people post two random things that happen to rhyme (goku on sudoku, etc) are not the point of the joke. It's supposed to actually make a point about something in the process, like the Yahtzee one. Otherwise it's just literally making a stupid photoshop of two random rhyming nouns, which is...like, man, it's a bad meme anyway, but not even putting effort into it, what's even the point?

Yahtzee one is legit good though

Yup, I hate the random rhyming nouns thing. "It's funny because they sound alike."

But I do like the variation that relies on things seen in the real world:

FqJOOtC.jpg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Jag-u-ar

Not jagwar no no no

wait, theypronounce it way in French. so ahh makes sense the American accent is a combination of Irish and French. so ok that makes sense, and some words in English were taken from the french.
language is fascinating.

The American accent is largely unchanged (minus the Southern accent, which is a whole other story) from Colonial times. It's the standard British accent that has changed drastically in the last 200 years or so. Americans didn't change or screw up the language, British English pronunciation made a ton of shit up in the last two centuries.

I thought this falls in line with Millennial Humor. There was a thread about it recently.
This isn't "millenial humor"

The original "weegee on a squeegee" is awful and you have to be the type of person who's into weegee jokes (read as: a terrible person) to enjoy it. oh it's funny because it rhymes ha ha ha ok

The pewdiepie one is great because there was actual thought put into it and it's relevant to current events. I'd argue that the pewdiepie one counts as millenial humor because it's actually witty but eh

The American accent is largely unchanged (minus the Southern accent, which is a whole other story) from Colonial times. It's the standard British accent that has changed drastically in the last 200 years or so. Americans didn't change or screw up the language, British English pronunciation made a ton of shit up in the last two centuries.

There is no such thing.

jstripes

Banned
This isn't "millenial humor"

The original "weegee on a squeegee" is awful and you have to be the type of person who's into weegee jokes (read as: a terrible person) to enjoy it. oh it's funny because it rhymes ha ha ha ok

The pewdiepie one is great because there was actual thought put into it and it's relevant to current events. I'd argue that the pewdiepie one counts as millenial humor because it's actually witty but eh

Exactly. Most of the examples in this thread are geek humour, not millennial humour. Minimal-effort wordplay that doesn't add anything.

zeemumu

Exactly. Most of the examples in this thread are geek humour, not millennial humour. Minimal-effort wordplay that doesn't add anything.

Relax, it's a random-ass sensible chuckle joke, not a subpar parody film that you're being charged $8 to watch.

Nuts2U

Relax, it's a random-ass sensible chuckle joke, not a subpar parody film that you're being charged $8 to watch.

I mean, he has a point. Like, I can take a picture of a duck, photoshop it onto a truck and that's basically what's happening here. Like, there's not even an attempt to create anything with even the smallest amount of substance.

zeemumu

I mean, he has a point. Like, I can take a picture of a duck, photoshop it onto a truck and that's basically what's happening here. Like, there's not even an attempt to create anything with even the smallest amount of substance.

True, but I don't think Waluigi on a squeegee or Vegeta on a cheetah were made with the purpose of anything beyond a sensible chuckle.

Kyzer

Banned
Went through the whole thread so fucking lost on where people got "loss" from. The fact that people recognized those fucking lines as ctrl alt delete abortion comic has me rolling rn

jstripes

Banned

True, but I don't think Waluigi on a squeegee or Vegeta on a cheetah were made with the purpose of anything beyond a sensible chuckle.

Now if you photoshopped Vegeta onto Tom Brady you might have something.

Please tell me which of Minnesota, New York and Boston are the original British accent?

Kyzer

Banned

What the hell are you talking about lmao

First of all, even though modern british english has indeed changed, southern american english is actually closer to colonial english than east coast/midwest accents which is what imassuming youre calling american accent. Im pretty sure theres some peninsula or something in the USA where theyre speaking English but you cant understand shit and they say its actually a preserved form of what colonial english sounded like. Brb gonna find link

Found it. Tangier, VA. Apparently itll be abandoned soon due to rising sea levels :/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangier,_Virginia

https://youtu.be/AIZgw09CG9E

Top Bottom