• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor 3: Ragnarok Review Thread

?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah well I need to wait to see what my boy has to say about it before I buy a ticket.

I'll also not tolerate IM3 slander. It's a top 5 MCU film.

He actually gave it a positive review (barely).

The Kree

Banned
Cause you don't have one?

Enjoying a movie with visual spectacle, rote plotting, and a happy ending doesn't mean the bar is low. It means you managed to have a good time at the movies. I like Avatar too. I wasn't taking a shot at your taste, I was drawing a comparison.

Not

Banned
Taika killed it like I knew he would

Hello, seat? This is my ass. Why don't you two get acquainted? Oh, I think I see someone I know. Hey, Margaret...?

omtyxAv.png

duckroll

Enjoying a movie with visual spectacle, rote plotting, and a happy ending doesn't mean the bar is low. It means you managed to have a good time at the movies. I like Avatar too. I wasn't taking a shot at your taste, I was drawing a comparison.

I was talking about the ending of the movie in particular. I just don't think it was a particular high note or anything unique. I've made my opinions on the overall movie itself pretty clear in various threads, but I don't begrudge anyone who actually likes it. I was just taking a swipe at the idea that the way the movie ends was particularly noteworthy.

It's sounding like exactly what I want from this film. Been eager to see it since the teaser/trailer cycle began. Love the Guardians-esque space imagery (and color use), I like the obvious comedic vibe, and I like the big-time use of other Marvel heroes as full-time co-stars (hey Hulk!).

Hemsworth has deserved a start-to-finish incredible script from the very beginning, I love his portrayal of the character but think he's been associated with extremely flawed stories so far.

Ferr986

So I think Thor movies are the worst of the MCU, while I think GoTG are the best movies. How good/fucked I am? (didn't saw any Ragnarok trailer tbh lol)

Sounds really good. With this and Homecoming, this might be the first time that I'm going to enjoy two MCU films in a row. Crazy times.

But while I don't mind the film being a comedy at all, I'm bummed that because of it we'll probably never see an adaptation of this story:

Ragnarok.jpg

Best version of Ragnarok and my favorite Thor comic.
But I guess Hemsworth gouging out his eyes and hanging himself before killing the old gods who rule the multiverse might have been a little bit too much :)

Not Winter Soldier and Guardians? Or Ant-Man and Civil War?

Nope, sadly.
I like First Avenger and Homecoming, that's kinda it.
Not that I find the rest terrible, they're just not for me.
I thought Civil War and to a lesser extent Winter Soldier were really good when I first saw them but they didn't really hold up the second time around. First Avenger is uneven obviously but Cap's portrayal and the Peggy romance are so good that I can easily revisit that movie and still enjoy it.

Triteon

The runtime is confirmed to be 130 minutes long.

when i bought my 9:30pm ticket for thursday next week (after a 4 hour flight) i thought itd be a 100 minute film based on the rumors. Now im worried ill be falling asleep on public transit on the way back to my hotel.

Glad the reviews are good tho.

I know you guys really, REALLY like it when MCU films review well (and they pretty much always do, without fail. Thor 2 anyone?). It’s great that Ragnarok is seemingly every bit as entertaining as it looks. I’m on board.

But don’t hate me for pointing out that the comic book genre has been suffering greatly from formulaic popcorn fluff, due largely to the action figure spectacles the MCU churns out.

It’s also very telling that we’re here applauding the creative license that director’s like Waititi and Coogler are getting; it means there’s not enough of it.

And yes, there is nothing in the MCU that comes close to filmmaking caliber on display in LOGAN. That is a VASTLY superior film to most other offerings in the genre.

I’m just suffering from the fatigue. I’m grumpy as shit. I’m gonna go see Blade Runner 2049 again.

Nope, sadly.
I like First Avenger and Homecoming, that's kinda it.
Not that I find the rest terrible, they're just not for me.
I thought Civil War and to a lesser extent Winter Soldier were really good when I first saw them but they didn't really hold up the second time around. First Avenger is uneven obviously but Cap's portrayal and the Peggy romance are so good that I can easily revisit that movie and still enjoy it.

Ah fair enough. I think First Avenger is a little underappreciated, or maybe not now as it seems a lot of people have re-evaluated it. My first go with it, I had trouble reconciling the pulpy war film aesthetic with the Star Wars laser guns, but in a post-Avengers world, it doesn't bother me anymore. I consider all 3 of Cap's movies to be incredibly solid. Civil War may actually be the weakest of the bunch. Most of it is really good, but that airport scene really just doesn't belong in the movie at all.

98% RT Score
7,9 Average
44 Fresh
1 Rotten
Not bad so far.

Thing is, I've read a lot of reviews so far and will maybe see what those same critics have said about previous Taika movies, I don't think if Wright would have made Ant-Man it would be 100% - 8.5 average, everyone loves it but I love Wright's movies and it would probably feel that good to me so it would be interesting to see if those people love his previous movies as that would give me a litmus test for how much I should enjoy this.

Same with Taika. I love his movies, his style, his humour so I think this will be one of those MCU movies that I love.

jph139

To this day I'll never understand how people enjoyed Ant-Man. It was 10% interesting/funny mashed against 90% generic superhero movie.

I'd put it and Doctor Strange at the bottom of any MCU pile. Along with Iron Man 2 and the first two Thor movies. The bunch that I wouldn't recommend to anyone unless you're hardcore into superheroes.

I won't do a ranking right but I think I'm in the minority in that Iron Man 1 is not in my top 5. I enjoy it, I respect it for kicking off the MCU, and I do love rewatching it, but there's a bunch of MCU movies that I've watched since that I've enjoyed far more.

Harmen

Here we go!

1. Winter Soldier
2. Avengers
3. Civil War
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Iron Man.... 3!!!

My list honestly changes depending on my mood, but I have seen each of these films quite a bit and find them thoroughly entertaining.

At the bottom lie Thor 1 (I enjoyed 2 better), Hulk, and Iron Man 2. None of these are offensively bad, but not films I will return to. Iron Man 2 is the worst of these.

Recently, Guardians 2 and Strange were a bit of wasted potential but really enjoyable films with several highlights nonetheless. Guardians 2 had a bit too much jokes that fell flat to me and Strange was another origin story with the same structure.

NotLiquid

1. Avengers
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
3. The Winter Soldier
4. Ant-Man
5. Iron Man 3

Depending on how I'm feeling on a given day, Spider-Man Homecoming or Civil War may replace Iron Man 3.

NotLiquid

Iron Man 2 is pretty decent when viewing it as a slice of life super hero movie

It's not super riveting but I enjoy having it on Netflix when I need background noise

Shaanyboi

Banned
People joke, but I'd honestly say that Thor 2 is a bad movie.

I rewatched it in the background as I did some work recently. It's like "Stuff Happens: The Movie," where a plot is progressed but with absolutely zero real drive, meaning, or consequence. It has fuck-all to say about the character, about Asgard, or about any grander idea beyond "Bad guy wants thing; must stop bad guy."

Thor's big rebellion is ultimately just a repeat of the original movie's opening, implying he's learned nothing. His entire arc is "I wanna be on Earth." And then is returned with his dad (even if it's Loki) just going "Okay." I suppose it's also supposed to be somewhat Jane's movie too but... even then, it says nothing about her either.

It's just utterly meaningless, and doesn't have much going for it to impress in any facet beyond the fact that I like some of the art design and Tom Hiddelston continues to be very good in that role.

Shaanyboi

Banned
You guys forgot the mediocrity of The Incredible Hulk. At least Iron Man 2 has RDJ. I'm not sure what Incredible Hulk has going for it - if it has anything at all.

I liked Incredible Hulk's opening couple acts when it was just him on the road, trying to lay low. The University sequence gets a bit nuts, and the climax just boils down to Hulk vs. Evil Hulk grimacing and growling at eachother. But it understood that this phase of the Hulk's story, it's a monster movie, and needs to be treated as such.

shaneo632

Thor 2 is the worst MCU movie for my money. I just didn't care about anything, most of the actors seemed bored, terrible villain, embarrassing comic relief, bland grey visuals everywhere, yet more focus on Jane Foster. Uh.

It's the only Marvel film I would actively avoid watching again during a film night with buddies or something.

Ferr986

The only bad MCU movie is Iron Man 2.

I liked Iron Man 2 more than 3 *runsaway

both are very bad movies

Thor 2 is the worst MCU movie for my money. I just didn't care about anything, most of the actors seemed bored, terrible villain, embarrassing comic relief, bland grey visuals everywhere, yet more focus on Jane Foster. Uh.

It's the only Marvel film I would actively avoid watching again during a film night with buddies or something.

This, both Thor movies are the worst IMO. This movie not having Jane and that other girl is like the best selling point to me.

Top Bottom