• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

jts

...hate me...
What happened to that same guy saying they'll have 10 million by the end of November?

I don't think they'd launch in November with only 2 or 3 million.
2-3 million is just how many units already pumped into distribution by launch for pre-orders. More will ship throughout November.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
1EDTpbb.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/20/kgi-iphone-x-production-woes-ending/
Overall, Kuo is cutting his iPhone X shipment estimates for the fourth quarter to 25–30 million units, down from 30–35 million, and he expects that 2–3 million units will be shipped into distribution channels ahead of the launch. As a result, initial supplies will be very tight, as has been extensively rumored.
An absolute farce if true. Shipping 2-3m phones to 50 countries?

What happened to that same guy saying they'll have 10 million by the end of November?

I don't think they'd launch in November with only 2 or 3 million.

2-3 million is just how many units already pumped into distribution by launch for pre-orders. More will ship throughout November.

His initial estimate was much higher. Ming-Chi Kuo Says iPhone X Unlikely to Reach Supply-Demand Balance Until Next Year (September 15, 2017)
We revise down our forecast for 2017F iPhone X shipments from 45-50 million to around 40 million units

From "45-50 million" a month ago to "25-30 million" as we get closer to launch...

I refuse to believe they shipping 3m to 50 countries.

But wouldn't surprise me if Apple are leaking this shit out on purpose so everyone is waiting to preorder their device come 8am and they can say they had record sales.

Remember it's not just the Apple website that's taking preorders. I don't know how it works in the states. But you got EE, o2, three, Vodafone, BT and a few others taking preorders too. With 3m units worldwide they'd be lucky to get one each at launch.

Blackhead

Redarse
I refuse to believe they shipping 3m to 50 countries.

But wouldn't surprise me if Apple are leaking this shit out on purpose so everyone is waiting to preorder their device come 8am and they can say they had record sales.

Remember it's not just the Apple website that's taking preorders. I don't know how it works in the states. But you got EE, o2, three, Vodafone, BT and a few others taking preorders too. With 3m units worldwide they'd be lucky to get one each at launch.

It's two weeks til release day and Rogers (biggest carrier in Canada) still doesn't know how many they will get. Rogers CEO Joe Natale says there's an ‘anemic appetite' for Apple's iPhone 8
Natale says that the number of iPhone Xs Rogers will receive from Apple still remains unclear.

”We do have reflected in our guidance what we believe is the right balancing factor around how much inventory we'll get, the appetite for the device, the price point et cetera... The question will be how much of the iPhone X activity happens in Q4 versus Q1 of next year," said Natale.
He's anticipating the probability that they won't see most of the stock until next year

kaskade

These rumors are getting pretty annoying. One minute, it'll be super difficult, next 400k are being made a day, you'll be good. Now, sorry you're fucked again. Curious what's going to be said in the next could days.

These rumors are getting pretty annoying. One minute, it'll be super difficult, next 400k are being made a day, you'll be good. Now, sorry you're fucked again. Curious what's going to be said in the next could days.

"IPhone X for every man, woman and child!"

I was ready to bite and leave my 6S behind but I've been home for a wedding driving around and using my parent's car that only has an aux cord...and I don't think I can live with the no headphone jack.

I'm all aboard the airpods, I love them to death but its still SO STUPID that there is no headphone jack. Ugh. I'll probably use my 6s for one more year until it breaks

Future

I was ready to bite and leave my 6S behind but I've been home for a wedding driving around and using my parent's car that only has an aux cord...and I don't think I can live with the no headphone jack.

I'm all aboard the airpods, I love them to death but its still SO STUPID that there is no headphone jack. Ugh. I'll probably use my 6s for one more year until it breaks

$9 dongle

knitoe

I am with ATT, but going preorder full price through the Apple store for 2x Verizon version. I would be happy if I get them before Christmas.

Future

Isn't it included?

Yes it is. Only mentioned the $9 because it’s cheap enough to buy extras to store in multiple locations. I got the included one in the office, one in the pouch where I store my charger, and another in my wife’s car. After doing that, no headphone jack became a non issue

Ashhong

Yes it is. Only mentioned the $9 because it’s cheap enough to buy extras to store in multiple locations. I got the included one in the office, one in the pouch where I store my charger, and another in my wife’s car. After doing that, no headphone jack became a non issue

Using the dongle in the car is the worst because that's prime charging time. You should buy yourself a 15$ Bluetooth aux adapter instead

Why are some people saying 8am preorders? Isn't it at midnight PST? Was hoping to have an advantage over eastern people

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Using the dongle in the car is the worst because that's prime charging time. You should buy yourself a 15$ Bluetooth aux adapter instead

Why are some people saying 8am preorders? Isn't it at midnight PST? Was hoping to have an advantage over eastern people

You should buy a $15 Bluetooth single for the car even if you have a 3.5mm jack - so convenient

Ashhong

You should buy a $15 Bluetooth single for the car even if you have a 3.5mm jack - so convenient

True that. I have one in my car and it's literally the best "upgrade" I've bought for it. Wish I could control it with my steering wheel, but it's still great.

LowSignal

True that. I have one in my car and it's literally the best "upgrade" I've bought for it. Wish I could control it with my steering wheel, but it's still great.
I passed on so many nice cars that didnt have Bluetooth audio and sterring wheel controls. That and back up cam are a must for me now. That being said not everyone currently has those options but a cheap bluetooth adapter makes things so much easier.

What’s the best strategy for pre-order? Apple Pay from within the Apple Store App on iPhone?

That way you can just do a vintage/retro Touch ID verification and not have to type in passwords etc.?

Or is it a case of once you’ve got the iPhone X added to your cart, you’re safe/locked in for the delivery date it first gives to you?

badb0y

Hmm, is signing up for IUP going to be a problem when preordering the X? I can just buy it outright but I would rather take the 0% loan lol.

J-Rod

What’s the best strategy for pre-order? Apple Pay from within the Apple Store App on iPhone?

That way you can just do a vintage/retro Touch ID verification and not have to type in passwords etc.?

Or is it a case of once you’ve got the iPhone X added to your cart, you’re safe/locked in for the delivery date it first gives to you?

I’ve never preordered before, so I don’t know what’s the best strat. But if you’re using the app, make sure you have a payment method and address already saved. Go through all the steps to buy the iPhone x you want now (model, carrier, finish, capacity, etc.) until you get to the last step and it won’t let you go any farther. You can then favorite it by tapping the heart icon. After that, it will show up on the account tab of the app, and all you’ll need to do is open it and click continue once orders open up. Theoretically, at least.

I’ll be trying that and the Verizon app. Hopefully one works.

Akira

Hmm, is signing up for IUP going to be a problem when preordering the X? I can just buy it outright but I would rather take the 0% loan lol.

Yeah, I’m on the same boat. I want to sign up for IUP but because I’m with Tmobile I have to go in to the store to apply for IUP.

Question: If I wanted to get one should I go on 10/27 when preorders open or on 11/3 when it actually releases?

Would like to know this as well. Especially since as I said before, I'm on the Sprint SERO plan and don't want to lose it, but I'm afraid if I go through the website they'll somehow kick me off the plan.

Yeah, I’m on the same boat. I want to sign up for IUP but because I’m with Tmobile I have to go in to the store to apply for IUP.

Question: If I wanted to get one should I go on 10/27 when preorders open or on 11/3 when it actually releases?

Release, stores don’t take any preorders. It’s all online

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So... What color?

Pretty set on silver now. I removed the space grey from my favourites in the Apple store app, and replaced it with the 256GB silver. So now I have both capacities in case my preferred 64GB isn’t available I can quickly try the other.

Stainless steel will polish out scratches (but may scratch more easily), and the white back should hide fingerprints better

Release, stores don’t take any preorders. It’s all online

I don’t think that’s the case for T-Mobile. Apparently T-Mobile customers who want to join IUP and get the X can walk into the Apple Store on October 27th to join IUP, as well as place your preorder. I called several apple stores and they both told me the same thing. You don’t have to wait until the phone is actually released to do this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I put down a £25 deposit at Carphone Warehouse (UK) which in theory should reserve me one, and they’ll discount by an additional £25. I should get a call on Friday next week. The website suggests that includes sim free but when I went into the store they thought it was only on contract. If they force a contract I’m not interested because it’ll be way more expensive over 2 years, but could be useful as a backup if I can’t get an Apple preorder in.

Moreche

In the UK I think joining IUP for the first time needs to be done in-store so when pre-orders go live, you basically book an in-store appointment.
The only issue with this is, it depends on how many your local store gets at launch. Personally if your doing this then you should settle yourself for getting one in December or next year. The whole thing is a clusterfuck because next year you won’t be able to get the latest phone unless the launches are moved to November from now on because you have to have paid twelve months or more before you can upgrade.

In the UK I think joining IUP for the first time needs to be done in-store so when pre-orders go live, you basically book an in-store appointment.
The only issue with this is, it depends on how many your local store gets at launch. Personally if your doing this then you should settle yourself for getting one in December or next year. The whole thing is a clusterfuck because next year you won’t be able to get the latest phone unless the launches are moved to November from now on because you have to have paid twelve months or more before you can upgrade.
Yeah, that’s exactly how it worked for me last time. Just pre-order normally and if you happen to get one, mention to the Apple reps at your appointment you want to do the IUP.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It will be a matter of seconds, so every screen counts - does anyone know if the Apple Store app updates dynamically once iPhone X becomes available, or do I need to boot the app from scratch at 8:01AM UK for the iPhone X button to turn blue?

Because quickest is if I am in the previous screen for IUP* and then just tap into it at 8:01AM.

* or not IUP, as per above. So set up pickup from store and change there

Top Bottom