• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I know why Disney's greatest hand drawn film will never be released on Bluray/HD

jobrro

If you watch the scene in full, it's nearly impossible to edit or cut that scene out without an extremely noticeably jarring cut. It's connective tissue that sets up the next scene, and slicing it out would be a butcher job. Reanimating the scene is out of the question both budget wise and look wise. It's shot on film, so any new animation would pop out immediately and be just as jarring. Not to mention that creatively there needs to be an entirely new way for Pete to scare Goofy and Max, have them land on the ground and proceed to joke around with each other for Pete to witness and grow jealous of.

There are simply too many obstacles compared to cropping an image out, subtly erasing or warping out existing footage, or replacing an image with another. It's a creative cut which sinks the entire attempt.

I don't know much about animation and perhaps I am missing some subtleties but not a lot changes in the GIF between the moment he starts pointing downwards at them and raises his hands to laugh if you simply remove the gun motion in between. Looking again it looks like his arms and hands do move outwards a bit, so that might be jarring.

He's making it up. I'd say it's more likely Disney simply doesn't care for the film, as much as a lot of people (myself included), would like them to. Gosh! Stand out!

This is conjecture, yes. But this logic isn't sound, since again they have released the lesser known, less profitable, worse film and sequel to the original in HD formats while ignoring the first film without any other explicable reason other than a potential IP sweep failure (not possible) or the presence of obscene/offensive content that bars it from re-release. In this context, the only thing that falls squarely into the latter is Pete mimicking two handguns gunning down Max and Goofy. By all accounts, if they didn't care for A Goofy Movie, then they should have cared infinitely less for the sequel, yet it's out there right now to watch in HD when the original remains unreleased in it's original format.

For people surprised at the finger gun thing, I literally know a guy who was expelled and had to go to one of those schools for delinquents because he made something vaguely shaped like a gun out of PVC pipe and was dicking around with it in robotics. No prior offences.

Its not like it cant be seen in hd. Ive seen it on streaming services to purchase. So it's not like Disney is trying to hide the movie.

rjinaz

If it was that, they could just cut a little bit, change the audio to say BOO! and it would probably look ok.

Yeah it's a shame this isn't HD, the only Disney movie I own that's SD. Also still waiting for Angels in the Outfield. What the hell Disney? Gimme!

Zenner

You really can get suspended for that hand gesture?

My nephew was suspended for 2 weeks and narrowly avoided a full expulsion for this, goofing around with his friend at school. No other circumstances or events; just the finger-gun. He was about 10 at the time, in a gun-friendly state.

If it was that, they could just cut a little bit, change the audio to say BOO! and it would probably look ok.

Yeah it's a shame this isn't HD, the only Disney movie I own that's SD. Also still waiting for Angels in the Outfield. What the hell Disney? Gimme!

"Hey, it could happen."

Cheebo

Banned
This movie is not and never been considered a Disney animated classic really. It's a super cheap made and poorly animated barly above made for tv movie.

It wasn't done by the Walt Disney Animation studio. It was done on the cheap by the tv division.

It is essentially a made for tv movie that got a run in theaters.

It is not deemed by Disney as one of the Walt Disney Animated films.

Finger gun doesn't change the fact Disney never treats the DisneyToon made films as part of their animated film catalog.

kenny-omega-gif-12.gif

If they really wanted to they can just delete that little part.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It's way more likely to be some weird music rights thing with Tevin Campbell, or some behind-the-scenes technical reason. Or they just don't care.

If the finger guns were really a problem, Disney would just have the movie re-rated.

One of Disney's best of the era. I got my younger sis into it and we constantly reference it, probabaly one of the few movies I know scene for scene.

That'd be a dumb ass reason to not re-release the film, but I mean it's Disney so...

Sure. A goofy reason to not re-release.

I love A Goofy Movie. I feel like if they really wanted to get around to putting it on Blu-Ray and Digital that they could edit that particular part out somehow.
This was my thought, surely it wouldn't be that difficult to edit. Though the other questionable content others have mentioned would make it more difficult annes maybe not with it.

Cheebo

Banned
Really it's not complicated. It's a DisneyToon movie not done by the Walt Disney Animation studios. That's it. That answers the question. It's not worth the effort for Disney to put the work into any rights or the other issues. DisneyToon movies were cheap assembly line movies tossed out and forgotten quickly after.

They were all done quick on the cheap and Disney doesn't really care to keep them around because they aren't seen by Disney as "real" Disney Animated movies. There area number of these not on BluRay.

This movie is not and never been considered a Disney animated classic really. It's a super cheap made and poorly animated barly above made for tv movie.

It wasn't done by the Walt Disney Animation studio. It was done on the cheap by the tv division.

Finger gun doesn't change the fact Disney never treats the DisneyToon made films as part of their animated film catalog.

There's some rough patches, but I think most of the movie is pretty damn well animated. While it's true that the bulk of the animation was done at Disney Animation France, DAF didn't just do TV work. They also did animation for many of Disney's more expensive features such as The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, and Tarzan. It's not up there with classics like The Lion King or Aladdin, but it's well, well above tv animation standards. Disney's lack of care for the film has less to do with its inherent quality and more to do with its pedigree.

LewieP

It's good that finger guns are banned, they could cause some real damage, unlike real guns.

Just like how banning the word "gun" from songs on the radio stops people from being shot, so you don't need to ban real guns.

As for the movie, is the sequel any good? I never saw it.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Really? Finger guns?

No.. just no. That's one of the most absurd theories I've heard about something like this.

Disney don't care cuz it's not mainline Disney.

ugh, i hated that movie

I didn't hate it but it was very of its time where its trying to appeal to 90s "cool"
Everyone being that same weird goofy species but also more melodramatic than Kingdom Hearts was really jarring, especially knowing the origin of his design.

Hey that's a whole lotta wrong in one post! Where to start.

So let's begin with the "It wasn't done by the Walt Disney Animation studio". When actually it was! The Burbank main branch of the WDAS feature studios no less! All pre production (boards, visdev, etc) were composed and put together on the Buena Vista lot where many other classics were created. Shock!

After this process, the film went on the be animated in the Paris, France Walt Disney Animation feature branch, where classics like Tarzan and Hunchback were animated as well, by those same animators. It's true!

Did I mention it was directed by the feature Studio's very own Kevin Lima, who was also the director of Tarzan?

And really? Made for TV? In the theatrical 16:9 format? In 1995? That had a full theatrical run? Doesn't sound like a 4:3, made-for-TV production.

In addition, don't answer this post and immediately see an eye doctor. If the animation in this film qualifies as "cheap" to you, you have some dire optical concerns that are far, far more pressing than rewatching this film and realizing how wrong you are.

The cheapness you guys!

J02vZkz.gif

wKiuE2J.gif

Hey that's a whole lotta wrong in one post! Where to start.

So let's begin with the "It wasn't done by the Walt Disney Animation studio". When actually it was! The Burbank main branch of the WDAS feature studios no less! All pre production (boards, visdev, etc) were composed and put together on the Buena Vista lot where many other classics were created. Shock!

After this process, the film went on the be animated in the Paris, France Walt Disney Animation feature branch, where classics like Tarzan and Hunchback were animated as well, by those same animators. It's true!

Did I mention it was directed by the feature Studio's very own Kevin Lima, who was also the director of Tarzan?

And really? Made for TV? In the theatrical 16:9 format? In 1995? That had a full theatrical run? Doesn't sound like a 4:3, made-for-TV production.

In addition, don't answer this post and immediately see an eye doctor. If the animation in this film qualifies as "cheap" to you, you have some dire optical concerns that are far, far more pressing than rewatching this film and realizing how wrong you are.

The cheapness you guys!

J02vZkz.gif

wKiuE2J.gif

Complete thrashing.

Pre columbine rural area. I'm sure a lot of the country was the same way.

Still is that way in a lot of rural areas, since they tend not to be super panicky about it.

Uh, I’m gonna go for laziness, on Disney’s part, from the same portions that:

-makes it super hard to find the golden age Disney cartoons easily
-fights Alex Hirsch tooth and nail on a complete Gravity Falls boxset
-constantly releases their Disney Afternoon collections on DVD save for the very last set (I believe Ducktales ‘89, Chip N Dale, and Darkwing are included)

Besides, if it is really was that scene that caused a delay in blu-ray, why would Disney still be printing the DVD version to this very day? You can go on amazon, target, Walmart, or Best Buy, and buy it brand new.

The greater question is that how was it that any of those powerline songs were not included as a sequence in Kingdom Hearts versus some stupid shit like “under the sea?”

Linkura

There's way worse shit in other Disney movies that still get regular releases. Peter Pan has some really questionable shit in regards to Native Americans, and they rerelease it all the time. So I don't buy this.

Song of the South is in a league of its own, so I understand why they refuse to release it. This doesn't qualify.

Besides, if it is really was that scene that caused a delay in blu-ray, why would Disney still be printing the DVD version to this very day? You can go on amazon, target, Walmart, or Best Buy, and buy it brand new.
Yeah, going on Amazon, this thread is definitely tales from OP's ass. You can rent or buy it digitally and the DVD is available directly from Amazon without limited quantities, which leads me to believe it's not out of print. Maybe they just don't think anyone gives a fuck about this movie on Blu-Ray/in HD. If they didn't want this movie to be seen, they wouldn't have it so readily available.

Since i googled the vudu stream if this movie i now have a gaf ad, showing the rental cost of a goofy movie at 2.99, it also shows saludo amigos which is availble in hd. But not this.

Why

KingV

If you can digitally edit ET’s guns into radios, you could easily turn the finger guns into the shocker.

It probably depends on the school and the grade. I know in high school the Hand gun to your own head was a very common gesture and nobody got in trouble to for it though you definally would if you was in a lower grade.I also don't quite see why that geature would ban that movie considering schools show movies like Shiloh which uses actual guns in Elementary school so....yeah.

vypek

One of my most favorite Disney movies. But I wonder if that's really the reason. Someone already posted gifs and a picture with finger guns and an actual gun.

If they did release I would definitely buy it. So good.

Top Bottom