• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extra content from Fantasy Life Link will be released in US/EU as Day 1 DLC

So you don't think it's a bit crappy of them to leave in the online from the Link re-release and just leave everything else out to sell it on day 1 as dlc?

Yes and no.

Your title is wrong. Nintendo did not cut any content from Fantasy Life. Actually, they are bringing Fantasy Life + multiplayer.

They could have brought Fantasy Life Link from the start, you're right. But what you call cut contents were a DLC expansion in Japan as well. The fact that it was also a retail release is because the original game was selling for 2000 yen or so in stores, hence its value already decreased.

As far as I know, anyway, Nintendo started localizing Fantasy Life a long time ago, when the Link version was still working in progress. It might well be that Nintendo required Level-5 to add the online, and the company decided to release a complete expansion. The fact that Link contents are day-one DLC might be due to the fact that the localization team could manage to finish its work in time for the release; there are strong evidences that Fantasy Life was due in the West last year, and the DLC expansion could have been a DLC released months after the launch.

In any case, the game is really enjoyable and I suggest you and all other people to give it a try. It's basically Dragon Quest's atmosphere + Animal Crossing's customization + actionRPG gameplay.

Actually, this is not true as well.

Nintendo PR clearly states that the Day One DLC will indeed include " text chat, more quests, higher level cap, and the new map Origin Island".

The Fantasy Life we are getting is Fantasy Life + multiplayer. All the other Link contents are included in the DLC. Which is not a big issue because the game is fully enjoyable nonetheless.
Link to said PR?

This is what the PR says:

• Fantasy Life: Available in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS on Oct. 24, Fantasy Life lets players become the masters of their destinies as choices they make help determine their own Fantasy Life. Players can easily change their Life Class at any time and experience how each offers a new perspective on the world. Local and online multiplayer options let friends share the adventure, the exploration and the bounty. A downloadable content pack called Origin Island – available for purchase from the Nintendo eShop starting on Oct. 24 – will extend the Fantasy Life adventure even further. Origin Island offers a new area that is home to an ancient culture and powerful enemies, additional story content, new ranks to achieve in Life Classes, access to even more powerful equipment and two new varieties of pets to adopt: birds and dragons.
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/236158-...s-hardware-bundles-ultimate-nes-remix-for-3ds

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
nintendo is publishin fantasy life 1.5 at the price of fantasy life 1, actually. we'll see the price for the DLC to complete up to fantasy life link...
maybe next time they should follow the original business plan, release just fantasy life and then the expansion later on?

casiopao

Let's make this clearer.

-Capcom releases Street Fighter 5 in Japan.
-7 Months later they discontinue the original SF5 and release the Ultra ZX edition; you can either buy the retail version of Ultra ZX or upgrade your SF5 through DLC at a heavy discout
-1 year and 2 months later, the West finally gets Street Fighter 5

Question time; which version do you think the West should get?
-The full Ultra ZX edition
-A cut Ultra ZX edition that requires you to buy some of the content as DLC

Well, i will reversed the case for u then.

If no one is going to bring the game here, u would rather not play the game i guess?

Shengar

So, let's clarify stuff a bit, shall we?

That "Origin Pack" is actually the content that was added in Fantasy Life Link!, which was a paid expansion in Japan, and was released several months after the game.

The thing is, that paid expansion also added online play. But in the West, Nintendo and Level-5 decided to add online play in the base version, for free.

In other words, no content was cut from the final game. Actually, it's the opposite, as content that was not in the base game was actually added, for free.

You might want to complain that Nintendo and/or Level-5 didn't add all the content from the Link! expansion for the western release. Fair enough. But you certainly can't say they cut anything to sell it as Day-1 DLC.

This is much more better post than some straight up Nintendo-defending post in the thread tht tries to pin the blame on Level 5. Should be added to the OP.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oh good, we're having misconceptions up the wazoo again. Bet sites will start running this without actually researching the facts soon.

No content is cut. Online and a few other features were added to the main game because it should have been there in the first place, but what was DLC in Japan remains DLC here. It's as simple as that.

GOTTA BE FAST! NO TIME FOR ACCURACY!

MyNintendoNews already just reported it.

Glass Rebel

The game is full price, at least in Europe. When you're being outdone by a european release of an Atlus game (vanilla Fantasy Life is two years old, SMTIV is one and 20€) you know it's bad.

To be fair, SMTIV is a digital-only release, doesn't include the DLC either, has no additional localization and has been on sale in NA several times since its release. They're handling the European release as well as they could given the situation but they got themselves into it in the first place. I don't think SMTIV and Fantasy Life are comparable at all.

Also, I'm not sure what price tiers there are in the rest of Europe but it's cheaper than most of Nintendo's other releases in Switzerland.

Since Nintendo didn't actually cut content, I don't really have a problem with this.

I'll buy the game and if this DLC seems like something I want, I'll buy it as well. Seems easy enough.

Yes and no.

Your title is wrong. Nintendo did not cut any content from Fantasy Life. Actually, they are bringin Fantasy Life + multiplayer.

They could have brought Fantasy Life Link from the start, you're right. But what you call cut contents were a DLC expansion in Japan as well. The fact that it was also a retail release id because the original game was selling for 2000 yen or so in stores.

As far as I know, anyway, Nintendo started localizing Fantasy Life a long time ago, when the Link version was still working in progress. It might well be that Nintendo required Level-5 to add the online, and the company decided to release a complete expansion.

In any case, the game is really enjoyable and I suggest you and all other people to give it a try. It's basically Dragon Quest's atmosphere + Animal Crossing's customization + actionRPG gameplay.

Fantasy Life Link doesn't have so much extra text that a full year+ isn't enough time to localize it. If they indeed had started localizing it so long ago, I don't see how that is any sort of justification for releasing the non-link version.

Santar

Yes and no.

Your title is wrong. Nintendo did not cut any content from Fantasy Life. Actually, they are bringing Fantasy Life + multiplayer.

They could have brought Fantasy Life Link from the start, you're right. But what you call cut contents were a DLC expansion in Japan as well. The fact that it was also a retail release is because the original game was selling for 2000 yen or so in stores, hence its value already decreased.

As far as I know, anyway, Nintendo started localizing Fantasy Life a long time ago, when the Link version was still working in progress. It might well be that Nintendo required Level-5 to add the online, and the company decided to release a complete expansion. The fact that Link contents are day-one DLC might be due to the fact that the localization team could manage to finish its work in time for the release; there are strong evidences that Fantasy Life was due in the West last year, and the DLC expansion could have been a DLC released months after the launch.

That is quite a few assumptions you're making there.
I guess the correct topic title would be Nintendo chooses to leave out content from Fantasy Life to sell as day 1 dlc?

JoeM86

GOTTA BE FAST! NO TIME FOR ACCURACY!

MyNintendoNews already just reported it.

"Shocker: DLC for Fantasy Life in Japan remains as DLC in the west"

Seriously, why is everyone so eager to jump on Nintendo for things without fact checking? Saw it yesterday with the 3DS, despite hardware revisions being commonplace in their handheld business, and now we have this.

get that controversy promo

iD5Is70LoQvh1.gif

Last sentence:

These are Link's contents.
No, this is what you find in the Origin Island map, Link added a lot more than that.

Anyway, we will find out once the game releases. I'm out!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So, let's clarify stuff a bit, shall we?

That "Origin Pack" is actually the content that was added in Fantasy Life Link!, which was a paid expansion in Japan, and was released several months after the game.

The thing is, that paid expansion also added online play. But in the West, Nintendo and Level-5 decided to add online play in the base version, for free.

In other words, no content was cut from the final game. Actually, it's the opposite, as content that was not in the base game was actually added, for free.

You might want to complain that Nintendo and/or Level-5 didn't add all the content from the Link! expansion for the western release. Fair enough. But you certainly can't say they cut anything to sell it as Day-1 DLC.

this. thread title should be: nintendo add online play from Link to Fantasy life for western release LOL

Fantasy Life Link doesn't have so much extra text that a full year+ isn't enough time to localize it. If they indeed had started localizing it so long ago, I don't see how that is any sort of justification for releasing the non-link version.

I did not justify any behaviour or business decision. I just tried to understand the reason behind this DLC, considering the fact that Nintendo have usually done the opposite (Bravely Default, Monster Hunter).

casiopao

Seriously, why is everyone so eager to jump on Nintendo for things without fact checking? Saw it yesterday with the 3DS, despite hardware revisions being commonplace in their handheld business, and now we have this.

Don't u know? It is fun to make Nintendo as the devil here.T_T

Galang

Banned
The sensationlist title doesn't make sense when nobody even understands for sure what's going on judging by this thread.

also

Banned
Well, i will reversed the case for u then.

If no one is going to bring the game here, u would rather not play the game i guess?

What kind of argument is this?

Yes and no.

Yeah the tittle should be: Nintendo releases outdated version of Fantasy Life, charges for the update as day 1 DLC.

I want to see evidence of you claims, really strong evidence. The thought of Nintendo requesting online play is just lolololol

Gsnap

I guess all that really matter is what the price ends up being, right?

If we pay the same or less than what players in Japan had to pay, then no harm no foul.

But I think there's definitely a title change in order. Since no content was "cut".

"Fantasy Life's western release keeps Link! content as DLC"

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Or Nintendo localizes 2 year old version of game, sells 1 year old version as DLC.

Or Nintendo chooses to leave out everything except online play from Fantasy Life Link to sell as day 1 dlc.

Maybe next time they should localize and publish only FL, and sell seven months later the expansion. two full priced games instead that one. evil nintendo should be more evil.

No, this is what you find in the Origin Island map, Link added a lot more than that.

Sorry, but no :)

All the things I listed, and are reported in Nintendo PR, are actually in Link and are not linked to Origin Island.

Origin Island is just an extra-area with new enemies and new bosses. PR is not 100% precise, but "new ranks" means basically "higher level caps", which is a new Link feature. The same for pets to adopt (which can be adopted in the main city of the game, and not on Origin Island); also, "new equipment" was also a part of Link and a selling point of the expansion.

This is just to be precise, Fantasy Life is a great game.

Necrovex

Nope. It's going to end up like the rest of the Level-5 games. Pretty but deeply flawed gameplay wise. Being stingy DLC wise sealed the deal to not pick it up.

Yeah, I seldom enjoy Level 5 games. I enjoyed the first Layton for what it was, but outside of that, I have been disappointed by them at every avenue. I got Ace Attorney and Layton due to Shu Takumi and the former being one of my favorite franchise, so I hope I won't be disappointed by it too.

sd28821

Sorry, but no :)

All the things I listed, and are reported in Nintendo PR, are actually in Link and are not linked to Origin Island.

Origin Island is just an extra-area with new enemies and new bosses. PR is not 100% precise, but "new ranks" means basically "higher level caps", which is a new Link feature. The same for pets to adopt (which can be adopted in the main city of the game, and not on Origin Island); also, "new equipment" was also a part of Link and a selling point of the expansion.

This is just to be precise, Fantasy Life is a great game.

i take it you have played the game is the dlc really good

JoeM86

So I guess they're selling the game at the same price as the original game can be bought in Japan now, right?

Oh, wait. They're not.

Why would they?

Will Ubisoft release Watch_Dogs on the Wii U for the same price as the other versions will be in November? Will Rockstar with GTA?

The logic is flawed. I just see an attempt to find an issue here when none exists.

Why would they?

Will Ubisoft release Watch_Dogs on the Wii U for the same price as the other versions will be in November? Will Rockstar with GTA?

The logic is flawed. I just see an attempt to find an issue here when none exists.

If Ubisoft releases Watch Dogs in 2016 after a GOTY version has been released on other platforms, I'd expect the DLC to be included, yes.

A map with "new ranks to achieve in Life Classes"? Don' be disingenuous now.

This was the only 3rd party game that I was still going to buy this year for the 3DS, but I guess I'll have to pass or wait for a sale for this one too. If Square frigging Enix was able to do something like this (For the Sequel, anyone?), then there is no excuse. If it came discounted like SMT4 in Europe, sure, no problem.

Why would they?

Of course it should. Arkham City Armoured Edtion came later with the DLC on the Wii U, why should this not do it?

More than likely it's from Level5. I've been involved in the anime community to know sometimes licensing issues pop up that make no sense. Like how the new Eva movie is being withheld from US release due to Japan not liking the dub (the dub was finished a long time ago, it's already out on disc in France) or how there are restrictions on what goods you can bundle together in one product, leading to a series and it's OVAs having to be separate releases.

Having to keep parity to the Japanese release isn't unexpected at all.

Because, Nintendo...

Huff

Banned
Why would they?

well if you are supporting this, that means you are supporting ubi releasing watch dogs on wii u at full price?

also

Banned

Yeah, no. The Link content is only DLC if you buy the old retail version and I don't see a reason why you would do that. Maybe you should do some fact checking?

Can you answer my question, please?

Them localizing an older version of a game and putting the content from a newer release as DLC is.

It mostly is.

Check who is publishing it.

This guy gets it.

Top Bottom