• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is up with shit Square ports on PS4 and music issues?

Note the PS4 FFX RNG bug has been fixed

The FFX RNG bug actually used a very favorable RNG seed, making some of the most tedious parts of the game far more trivial than with fixed RNG.

I almost wish instead of just outright fixing it they would have added a toggle.

Keym

The worst part is that they can do an excellent job when they actually try. Case in point: XII, Kingdom Hearts.

I know that they probably don't make a whole lot of money out of these ports, but if the aim is to keep awareness of the FF brand alive, then at least don't fuck it up every step of the way.

Especially with VII god damnit, it's supposed to be their best selling title ever. :mad:

Oh shit, I've just remembered that annoying FFVII issue where they would cue up the wrong track. Like the mako reactor theme when they reveal Cloud's identity. The PC version has it as well.

Such a cock-up that ruins a great scene.

That's hilarious. The remaster was the first time I had played VII since it's original release and I completely forgot they played a different tune. I knew something was off when that scene played out.

wvnative

The X, XII, and kingdom hearts remasters are so good, how the hell does this happen?

When I replay 7 before the remake, guess i'll be sticking the classics version on PS3.

Sapientas

jesus f christ, just turn off random encounters and listen to the music as much as you want! in ffx they patched it 'cause there is no "no encounters" option, but why the hell bother with 7&9 when players can fix it by pressing one button?
Yo wtf is this? Are you serious?
So Square only needs to fix the game when you can't ignore it yourself by locking a mechanic out?

The FFX RNG bug actually used a very favorable RNG seed, making some of the most tedious parts of the game far more trivial than with fixed RNG.

I almost wish instead of just outright fixing it they would have added a toggle.
Yup lol, I farmed a LOT of materials in the monster arena before they patched it. I think, for example, Dark Matters were a guarantee drop from a fresh reload if you killed one other enemy first.

flyover

Seriously

Square: I didn't buy FFVII on PS4 because of this issue, and I will not buy IX PS4 either.

Get your shit together.

Yeah, I was waiting until they fixed the FFVII bug before playing. It's crazy that they never have. I've written to them, but no response.

(Same thing happened with the Steam version apparently, though I think they did eventually fix that.)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Deal breaker for me, especially when I can play it on PS1 with little trouble.

notacat

Almost bought FF7 on PS4, except I saw a screenshot where it was playing in a tiny window instead of being fullscreen.

That isn't really it, is it?

Damn that's a shame, I quit playing FF7 on PS4 the second I noticed it a couple hours into the game. No buy for me, I'll get it on PC when I feel the need to replay.

Madame M

Banned
I've never played these ports but I'm imagining this problem's effect on the already maddening Golden Saucer music in FFVII...

*shudder*

CGwizz

Played ff7 and this is the first time i see someone complaining, Didnt bothered me or i would get noticed

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This is what happens when SE hires the cheapest company they can find for their remasters:

1450731003026.jpg

Don't use misleading pictures for making points

jesus f christ, just turn off random encounters and listen to the music as much as you want! in ffx they patched it 'cause there is no "no encounters" option, but why the hell bother with 7&9 when players can fix it by pressing one button?

"Fixing" with removing the core gameplay element. Yeah sounds like fun.

LMAO.

Interested in seeing what scenes are fucked up by this.

I remember finding out the reactor scene in FF7 got screwed up. Just a shame that something like that could happen.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
We'd be better off in the timeline where PS4 just plays PSone classics.

I don't like these PC ports... they look like shit with their high res low poly-count characters that don't mesh well with the upscaled pre-rendered backgrounds.

I'd just play the OG ps1 version in 240p. Forget about achivements... don't need em. And I especially don't need to turn off random battles.

The worst part is that they can do an excellent job when they actually try. Case in point: XII, Kingdom Hearts.

I know that they probably don't make a whole lot of money out of these ports, but if the aim is to keep awareness of the FF brand alive, then at least don't fuck it up every step of the way.

Especially with VII god damnit, it's supposed to be their best selling title ever. :mad:

The camera in FFXII is kind of terrible.

Gurish

This is what happens when SE hires the cheapest company they can find for their remasters:

1450731003026.jpg

Now, who do I have to bother to get VII fixed? That's all I care about right now.

Wow that looks so bad, they stripped away every inch of character out of it.

SoulUnison

Banned

"Just solve the problem by disabling one of the primary features of the game and preventing yourself from progressing! It's not hard, guys!"

There's being an apologist, and then there's just being maliciously delusional.

deanote666

Oh shit, I've just remembered that annoying FFVII issue where they would cue up the wrong track. Like the mako reactor theme when they reveal Cloud's identity. The PC version has it as well.

Such a cock-up that ruins a great scene.

Which scene specifically was this?

Narroo

Then how are you supposed to level up without the encounters?

It shouldn't have this issue considering the original was just fine 17 years ago.

That one is patched thankfully.

Hm, I think the idea is that you use the cheat codes to 'play' the game. It's pretty ridiculous when playing the game properly is lambasted.

Mr_Moogle

This might be the worst post I've ever seen. Both the music and random encounters are essential components of a classic FF game. You have no idea what you're on about.

This scene. In the original it didn't go straight to the generic reactor music like it does in this video at 54 seconds.

Here's the original. I think the music's a bit off sync here, but it's the right track at least

I think the second video's music is also off, but that's probably the video itself and not the game. The video's framerate is weird, and it might be throwing the audio off a little.

Here is the original being played with 2 random battles. Is this what you are all on about? The music resets and starts again after each random battle?

The second battle arrives at 10:42

correct

Here's a better video: https://youtu.be/FBbvWjSmm4k?t=49m33s

The first battle starts at 50:03. Notice where the music is at when the battle starts. And then when the battle ends and the game returns you to the overworld, notice the music that starts back again from the beginning instead of resuming from where it was. Because that's how the original game worked (and pretty much all other JRPGs): the overworld music resumes from where it was after a battle. But not in this release of FFIX. It's super annoying because unless you stop moving and let the game run, you'll never hear many of the great tracks in the game to their fullest, as you'll be stuck listening to their first 10 or so seconds over and over and over and over again.

Keym

Also another bug regarding the audio in IX (at least for the PC) seems to be downgraded music: https://steamcommunity.com/app/377840/discussions/0/353916838206972073/

Yep. Thankfully, there's a mod that fixes it in the PC version. My guess is that they had to compress whatever they could for the mobile version and then just... didn't give two craps when porting it to PC. I can't really tell the difference in the PS4 version, but I have crappy speakers connected to it right now.

sotojuan

Almost bought FF7 on PS4, except I saw a screenshot where it was playing in a tiny window instead of being fullscreen.

That isn't really it, is it?

All PSOne games are in that format. Do you want it stretched out instead? Can't be fixed unless they redo the whole game.

Ohhh wait a minute its the music before the battle music starts is what the issue is not the battle music itself? I must have gotten them mixed up!

So the main music is the issue not the battle music is what keeps on resetting?

sotojuan

FFXII (and X, sans glitches that were fixed) were serious physical releases. I guess Square Enix takes that seriously. These Steam and PS4 ports are cheap: Just make the models and text HD, put on some cheats, and done.

I am personally fine with that but I don't understand how they can release it with easy to spot bugs like the music one or the wrong track playing.

Unfortunately, I find the original FFIX way too slow for my liking, and I like the option to turn off the battle camera and speed up the game if I want, so I am sort of stuck with this weird version.

firelogic

To be honest, the majority of people playing these games, be it again or for the first time, won't notice the music issue.

Top Bottom