• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry analysis of DOOM for Nintendo Switch

I really wish people on this forum would just enjoy videogames instead of video game performance. "No 60fps, no buy!!!1!one1!".

Jesus christ. 30FPS is fine. It's absolutely fine.

Actually , some games are built with 60fps in mind .it's just part of the gameplay.
A port at half the framerate is a pretty big deal

Rellik

I think that was in relation to the PC build they meant to emulate Switch specs with, not the Switch version itself. He said that he got to try a variety of arcade stages on the Switch version and while they had performance drops, none were as severe as the low specced PC version.

He said the PC comparison build was unplayable on the more demanding levels and choppy on the Switch. From what I remember. I can't go back and confirm that now because it's gone.

I really wish people on this forum would just enjoy videogames instead of video game performance. "No 60fps, no buy!!!1!one1!".

This is a performance thread...

Did I miss something in that video?

Bloke said he'd seen a few cut scenes on the switch, but then spent the rest of the time playing the game on his custom built PC?

No, he also went to a press event and actually played the game on Switch. I believe he was basing resolution off of the direct footage though.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Damn shame but I guess we had to be realistic about it hitting 60fps, still a slight temptation there, will have to give it a play first.

He said the PC comparison build was unplayable on the more demanding levels and choppy on the Switch. From what I remember. I can't go back and confirm that now because it's gone.

I just finished watching it.

Richard said that later levels on PC were basically entering unplayable territory and the Switch version that he played in arcade mode (variety of levels) never reached that level.

Worth noting that he was playing in handheld mode but his Switch-equivalent PC spec was matching the docked GPU clocks.

Rich suspects the game will have a more consistent framerate and higher resolution when docked. Though considering how Rocket League doesn’t gain any resolution docked, and has the same developer, I hope Id Tech 6 allows for it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
540p/30fps

Borderlands 2 Vita indeed.

People were fooling themselves thinking this would open the gates for direct AAA ports of current gen games. Anyone could see this coming a mile away. There's no way the Switch hardware can run current gen games like Doom without making them Mortal Kombat / Borderlands 2 Vita tier.

The dream is dead. And this is Doom. Can't even begin to imagine how FFXV would be. Square needs to stop talking utter nonsense and get on FFVII.
Mortal Kombat Vita was FANTASTIC. Took a big visual hit, but so fucking what? Game played just as well as the console version, which is what matters.

It is fine but the expectation that other developers should develop with the Switch in mind as a CPU baseline is unreasonable to the other platforms. It's bad enough that multiplatform games on PC have been limited by CPUs that belong in netbooks but now people want to regress back to ARM performance? No thanks. I'm saying this as a Switch owner.

The best Switch owners should expect for titles like DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 is a developer going back a couple months later and trimming things down so it'll run on the hardware.... And that's with a super scalable engine.

OCD Guy

I wonder how the Wolfenstein switch would look like.

Garbage.

It's ok though the Switch will be a Nintendo machine for me and I'm fine with it...

I think Wolfenstein has a better chance to be a good port since it is developed in parallel.

I don't think Doom on Switch is a result of development, more a reality check that Switch hardware is nowhere near current gen consoles.

iswasdoes

Amazed that anyone expected 60. Gonna try playing my copy at 30 to see how bad it is, but I reckon its a fair trade.

I will double dip just for a portable fps. Hope it has multiplayer

J@hranimo

Banned
I guess the embargo wasn't over?

Probably not. Wouldn't be surprised if they jumped the gun by accident
and also to cause some of the mini meltdowns for some here on GAF lmao

Amazed that anyone expected 60. Gonna try playing my copy at 30 to see how bad it is, but I reckon its a fair trade.

I will double dip just for a portable fps. Hope it has multiplayer

Multiplayer is confirmed.

Uhhh have you played DOOM? 30 definitely isn't fine.

I play Gears 4 all the time and jump between vs (60) and horde (30) with no complaints.

DOOM is not a game that plays well less than 60. Its a nessecity imo.

I agree with the usual frame wankery in general though, some games just need it though. Your ninja Gaidens, fighting games, fast paced shooters etc

For a game as fast-paced as Doom 30 fps is not fine. It's playable? Sure, but the experience is extremely hindered at 30 fps.

Agalloch

Imho it also depends on who make the port and the time and resources available, we'll see what they will do with Metroid Prime 4, which run at 60 fps since the Gamecube.

Nibel

So they've played the game at a hands-on event in portable mode, weren't given any specifics, didn't record any footage, "analyzed" the footage from the Direct instead and built a "Switch PC" to test the PC version with it

..while I don't expect DOOM to be the ultimate DOOM experience on Switch, I feel like they jumped the gun here?
wtzgU.gif
Maybe wait for the actual version instead of trying to give us the "feel of DOOM Switch"?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's not the kind of game I would play on a handheld but I'm pretty chuffed they are managing to get this onto Switch.

Just give me a portable New Vegas Bethesda, you can name your price.

Nev

Banned
Mortal Kombat Vita was FANTASTIC. Took a big visual hit, but so fucking what? Game played just as well as the console version, which is what matters.

Well yes this is actually a worse scenario because MK Vita at least ran at 60fps. It looked like absolute garbage though.

Borderlands 2 on the other hand was a terrible port through and through.

People were expecting 60fps for this?
Really happy with their feedback from playing it. It's going to be awesome to play this game again on a handheld.

So why are they impressed again...?

Do you have some insight into it all that means you've got more reason to deem it not impressive, relative to the people that deal with specs and comparisons all the time? Last I saw, they'd played it and you hadn't. DF aren't exactly known for fluffing up things for the sake of it.

So they've played the game at a hands-on event in portable mode, weren't given any specifics, didn't record any footage, "analyzed" the footage from the Direct instead and built a "Switch PC" to test the PC version with it

..while I don't expect DOOM to be the ultimate DOOM experience on Switch, I feel like they jumped the gun here?
wtzgU.gif
Maybe wait for the actual version instead of trying to give us the "feel of DOOM Switch"?

It was a pretty weird video. He didn't really share his thoughts on the Switch build but rather compared it to assets we already have access to. Outside of the 30fps claim it wasn't a very informative video.

c0de

30fps is fine, but not in Doom.

You should watch the latest DF Retro.

OT: Video seems to be removed but I expected more as the switch does fp16 and this was brought up many times as being a substantial upgrade. Perhaps they didn't adjust the engine for the Switch, though.

Bluth54

Imho it also depends on who make the port and the time and resources available, we'll see what they will do with Metroid Prime 4, which run at 60 fps since the Gamecube.

I'm sure if the Metroid Prime developers want to hit 60 FPS they'll be able to. when you design a game around the limitations of a system you can much more easily hit a target like that than when you port a game designed for more powerful hardware to weaker hardware.

Anyone that expected 60fps was out of their mind. That would have been technical insanity.
The fact that Switch is running this game as well as Richard reports is incredible enough. Very impressive indeed.

Otnopolit

Got a whole bunch of people in here that expected way to much. And even more that think this is a death knell for third parties. It's not as if the game isn't demanding. DF said as much that they are very impressed to have played it on a handheld in the state it's in now.

Additionally, I love DF, but there's no footage, multiple outlets are reporting different frame rates, and we don't know the situation in docked mode.

I'm not what people want or are expecting. Getting a next gen title like Doom on a portable device is absolutely superb, even at the level it's currently, a level DF thought was impressive just to confirm.

Switch isn't powerful enough to run high end PS4 games without compromise. So it's get the ports like this or not at all.

When Switch doesn't get the third party games, people say 'Switch isn't getting supported', 'Nintendo's third party support is poor' etc.

Then when Switch does get the games, people are now upset they don't look or run as well as on the PS4.

It's impossible for Switch to have games which look or run as well as on PS4.

Hopefully this isn't too surprising to read, but if Final Fantasy XV does come to Switch, then that won't look or run as well as on PS4 either. Shocking, I know.

Remember when the industry didn't market 60 fps and most people were like "who cares, there's no difference"?
Good times.

TheMoon

And that it gets really choppy on some of the more demanding levels.

....that he played on his custom-PC rig simulating a Switch.

Did I miss something in that video?

Bloke said he'd seen a few cut scenes on the switch, but then spent the rest of the time playing the game on his custom built PC?

The cutscenes is the footage WE have. HE played it for 40 minutes at the Bethesda event. You didn't really listen. :D

Disappointing it's 30 FPS but not entirely unsurprising.

I guess this at least shows to some that porting third party games to Switch ain't so easy given the power gap.

Chunky

If DF are saying it's still a great port then I'm inclined to believe them, rather than you lot who hear "30fps" and instantly turn your nose up.
It's seriously not as big a deal as you think it is, or to put it more gently, I'm glad it doesn't affect me nearly as bad as it does some of you. I'm still really looking forward to it

Top Bottom