• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real PC RPGs Are For Nerds

Keasar

I dont hate-watch and I dont refuse to watch him to not to give him money, I just don't like his content anymore.

Because he didn't like that game you like?

He gave it a 7/10, called it good. I thought it was pretty fair after playing it through myself and thinking "It was alright."

Spacejaws

To be fair, I find it hard to get upset at elitists when the genre has been continuously dumbed down in the name of "accessibility."

I can’t watch the video but...I share this sentiment? As much as I enjoy Fallout 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition I’ve definetly seen the decline of RPG systems over the years, while strangely they have come into fashion? The transition from Mass Effect 1 to 2 is a good example where Mass Effect 1 was to me a good adaption of classic RPG systems into an action game where as Mass Effect 2 went full cover shooter and streamlined the skills, inventory and explorations. Still really enjoyed it but as a shooter with minimal RPG garnish.

Kinda like how point and click went out of vogue but still exist in the form of close relatives like Telltale games. Still doesn’t scratch that itch though.

I mist say though that the last few years have been good to the CRPG and some quality stuff has came out and worked on consoles too, it’s definetly less of a system situation and more a marketing and what companies think the market want.

No, I just dont like Jim Sterling ever since the Zelda review.

fec.gif

Shari

Because he didn't like that game you like?

No because I think his opinion is influenced by what will give him the most plays/clicks. Zelda's review was just the confirmation, as I said I followed that guy for a few years prior. People are entitled to change his mind and to doubt about the motivations of reviewers to say things, it's called critical thinking, I'm not a Zelda fanboy nor I'm throwing a tantrum about a review I dont like, but you can think whatever you want.

fair enough.
I actually agree with you and don't watch him much anymore either, I just found your post funny.

No fault. Seems a lot of people does find my post funny :S

I can’t watch the video but...I share this sentiment? As much as I enjoy Fallout 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition I’ve definetly seen the decline of RPG systems over the years, while strangely they have come into fashion? The transition from Mass Effect 1 to 2 is a good example where Mass Effect 1 was to me a good adaption of classic RPG systems into an action game where as Mass Effect 2 went full cover shooter and streamlined the skills, inventory and explorations. Still really enjoyed it but as a shooter with minimal RPG garnish.

Kinda like how point and click went out of vogue but still exist in the form of close relatives like Telltale games. Still doesn’t scratch that itch though.

I mist say though that the last few years have been good to the CRPG and some quality stuff has came out and worked on consoles too, it’s definetly less of a system situation and more a marketing and what companies think the market want.
You're not the one this video is lampooning. This is a reasonable, measured and perfectly sane opinion to have. Unfortunately, a post like this is not the norm when discussing the issue on the rest of the Internet.

aravuus

Dude, a lot of us do share the sentiment, I'm sure. I didn't grow up with the old-school RPGs and I share it.

But this video is not about the sentiment, it's about the embarrassing and ironically immature way some people present it.

Keasar

No because I think his opinion is influenced by what will give him the most plays/clicks. Zelda's review was just the confirmation, as I said I followed that guy for a few years prior. People are entitled to change his mind and to doubt about the motivations of reviewers to say things, it's called critical thinking, I'm not a Zelda fanboy nor I'm throwing a tantrum about a review I dont like, but you can think whatever you want.

But as others have pointed out, he doesn't need clicks as he is funded through monthly payments by donations, he doesn't have ads or anything that requires clicks or plays.

What confirmed in the Zelda review that this was the case? I'm just genuinely curios because I hear this often when a reviewer post a review and say their opinion which can be that they wasn't as enamoured by a game as others and gave it a lower score, based said opinion, in which people immediately jump to "Oh they're just fishing for clicks."

I can't watch the video but...I share this sentiment? As much as I enjoy Fallout 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition I've definetly seen the decline of RPG systems over the years, while strangely they have come into fashion? The transition from Mass Effect 1 to 2 is a good example where Mass Effect 1 was to me a good adaption of classic RPG systems into an action game where as Mass Effect 2 went full cover shooter and streamlined the skills, inventory and explorations. Still really enjoyed it but as a shooter with minimal RPG garnish.

Kinda like how point and click went out of vogue but still exist in the form of close relatives like Telltale games. Still doesn't scratch that itch though.

I mist say though that the last few years have been good to the CRPG and some quality stuff has came out and worked on consoles too, it's definetly less of a system situation and more a marketing and what companies think the market want.

That is a fair and level-headed opinion without going to name-calling of "RPG MASTERS~" and "casual noobs!"

Spectone

I found that hilarious. As someone who plays hardcore games and casual games I just don't understand this gatekeeper mindset. Games are entertainment not some sort of proof of how great a person you are.

Zafir

He doesn't even make money of clicks though, so your line of logic is utterly ridiculous.

He actually went into a lot of detail in why he doesn't like it as much as other people in both his review, and on his podcast. On his podcast especially where he discussed the game with Laura Kate (who absolutely loved the game). If you want to ignore that and go straight to questioning credibility, whatever I guess.

Handy Fake

But as others have pointed out, he doesn't need clicks as he is funded through monthly payments by donations, he doesn't have ads or anything that requires clicks or plays.

What confirmed in the Zelda review that this was the case? I'm just genuinely curios because I hear this often when a reviewer post a review and say their opinion which can be that they wasn't as enamoured by a game as others and gave it a low score, based said opinion, in which people immediately jump to "Oh they're just fishing for clicks."

He gave it a 7/10, said it was a good game that he had some issues with, but otherwise enjoyed it a lot.

Then they DDOSed his site.

imo, any game that has you taking the role of a custom or pre-made character that you can customize/level-up and is part of a big story that impacts/revolves around said character could be classified as an RPG.

You could argue that the more intricate these mechanics become and the more impact the choices you make have on gameplay and story the 'realer' RPG's become.

Water down these mechanics and you slide into Adventure territory.

Spacejaws

Dude, a lot of us do share the sentiment, I'm sure. I didn't grow up with the old-school RPGs and I share it.

But this video is not about the sentiment, it's about the embarrassing and ironically immature way some people present it.

Well that I can agree on. It is the internet I suppose. An example was posting in the Warhammer Vermintide steam forums letting them know they had broken controller sensitivity making Steam Controllers pretty horrible to use (they must have updated the controller stick sensitivity to just Horizontal sensitivity but didn’t add an additional slider for vertical sensitivity, so left and right can be adjusted smooth but up and down are sluggish as fuck) and the first reply was someone posting some meme video ask ‘why tho’ or something.

Vocal gamers are immature in general I guess...it’s the main reason I avoid voice communication at all times.

Bulby

The transition from Mass Effect 1 to 2 is a good example where Mass Effect 1 was to me a good adaption of classic RPG systems into an action game where as Mass Effect 2 went full cover shooter and streamlined the skills, inventory and explorations. Still really enjoyed it but as a shooter with minimal RPG garnish.

Never understood the love of the RPG mechanics in Mass Effect 1. It was completely at odds with the narative. You were humanities best soldier, who had to learn to shoot straight during the game.

Nikodemos

The dumbing down of game systems is not due to 'accesibility'. Larian, inXile, Obsidian and Firaxis have shown that you can get 'hardcore' games on the console without dumbing them down.

The real problem is shit management in many large companies, which feel the need to cast an unrealistically large net, public-wise, and end up turning their games into an undifferentiated mechanically-hybrid mush.

JimboJones

No fault. Seems a lot of people does find my post funny :S

His opinions are a little bit and miss with me, I do think he to tries to go against the grain sometimes to try and stick out when it suits, him trying to convince people Sonic 4 was a great game was hard to read but eh could just simply be opinions and all that.

I did enjoy the video though 😂

Keasar

He gave it a 7/10, said it was a good game that he had some issues with, but otherwise enjoyed it a lot.

Then they DDOSed his site.

Low-er, forgot an 'er' in there. 7 was still good, just not maybe the 8s, 9s or 10s people were giving. I personally thought 7 was the fairest number myself as the game was fun but not as fantastic or "the best ever" as others were saying (short, boring and samey dungeons, characters were shallow and not interesting, story was presented in a jumbled mess, didn't like the weapon breakage etc.).

And yeah, I remember that time, it's honestly quite frustrating how people react to this stuff.

Shari

What confirmed in the Zelda review that this was the case? I'm just genuinely curios because I hear this often when a reviewer post a review and say their opinion which can be that they wasn't as enamoured by a game as others and gave it a low score, based said opinion, in which people immediately jump to "Oh they're just fishing for clicks."

Attention = Revenue. Giving plays means visibility which leads to more Patreon subscribers. I dont think he actively fishes I think his channel thrives on whatever drama is popular atm. On the Zelda subject, having read and had his reviews as an important part of my decision making as with, for example, ACG I think he played down the strength and focused on the quirks deliberately to stir the pot. Not a couple of months before I played and loved yakuza 0 thanks partially to his favorable review which, also in my opinion, did the opposite and praised too much stuff and hid some problems of the game.

I dont have anything against him, I just dont agree with him as I used to and I'm not totally sure he's unbiased by his popularity. Not trying to convince anybody I'm right tho.

The dumbing down of game systems is not due to 'accesibility'. Larian, inXile, Obsidian and Firaxis have shown that you can get 'hardcore' games on the console without dumbing them down.

The real problem is shit management in many large companies, which feel the need to cast an unrealistically large net, public-wise, and end up turning their games into an undifferentiated mechanically-hybrid mush.

Yep, those are some of the most complex games on the mainstream market today. Consoles and their users are not the enemy here. It's the companies that think people can't handle not having their hands being held.

Handy Fake

Low-er, forgot an 'er' in there. 7 was still good, just not maybe the 8s, 9s or 10s people were giving. I personally thought 7 was the fairest number myself as the game was fun but not as fantastic or "the best ever" as others were saying (short, boring and samey dungeons, characters were shallow and not interesting, story was presented in a jumbled mess, didn't like the weapon breakage etc.).

And yeah, I remember that time, it's honestly quite frustrating how people react to this stuff.

Oh sorry mate, I wasn't picking at your post. I just used it to illustrate the madness that ensued. ;)

Kthulhu

There needs to be an internet law (or at least a GAF law) saying that eventually if an conversation about Jim Sterling goes on long enough someone will bring up his Zelda review.

xealo

The kind of user who thinks western RPGs are getting ruined by releasing on consoles are morons, but the rpg codex crowd isn't exactly wrong either when they claim that e.g bioware doesn't make the type of games they used to from a gameplay viewpoint.

Shari

There needs to be an internet law (or at least a GAF law) saying that eventually if an conversation about Jim Sterling goes on long enough someone will bring up his Zelda review.

Im genuinely surprised he hasn't made a video about it. Maybe once the dust had settled he lost more than he won with that and doesn't want to raise that subject anymore :/

Renekton

Yep, those are some of the most complex games on the mainstream market today. Consoles and their users are not the enemy here. It's the companies that think people can't handle not having their hands being held.
This is still unfair to the companies that make them and the millions who play those games. Sometimes they just design a game that people enjoy. For example, FO4 get lots of flak from RPGers but my friend who seldom games still get happy talking about his painstakingly made power armor museum.

TLDR: don't be angry at devs for making "dumbed down" games, just be happy you have your Larian's and Obsidian's.

Kthulhu

Im genuinely surprised he hasn't made a video about it. Maybe once the dust had settled he lost more than he won with that and doesn't want to raise that subject anymore :/

Y'all are the ones who keep bringing it up, not him. I think he even did a follow up video about it shortly after and hasn't really mentioned it since.

I swear it's like Jim kicked y'all's dogs or something.

*Splinter

Of course he "lost more than he won", at least in terms of pure popularity/viewership. The idea that a shitty Zelda review would somehow grow his fanbase is completely insane. How many "critical thinkers" like yourself have stopped following him since his Zelda review? Now how many times have you seen "I was never really into Sterling but he said Zelda is only quite good so I subscribed to his patreon."?

He published that review knowing it would have backlash but it wasn't for the clicks. It was because that's his opinion of the game and he's not willing to embellish the truth just to protect the fragile egos of any Zelda fanboys who happen to follow him.

"I used to find him funny but then he gave a game I like 7/10 and now I don't find him funny. This is because I am a critical thinker."

Yeah ok

Surfside

Banned
This is still unfair to the companies that make them and the millions who play those games. Sometimes they just design a game that people enjoy. For example, FO4 get lots of flak from RPGers but my friend who seldom games still get happy talking about his painstakingly made power armor museum.

TLDR: don't be angry at devs for making "dumbed down" games, just be happy you have your Larian's and Obsidian's.

I agree, those "dumped down" games are not inferior. I count many of those as my all time favorites even.
My only point was that being on a console doesn't automaticly mean, they would have to be mechanicly simplefied.

Nikodemos

In cases like ZeniMax or EA where the dev is a subsidiary of the publisher, the people making the game are not the ones making the call as to what mechanics should be added or removed. The shots are called at publisher level.

Dec

You're not the one this video is lampooning. This is a reasonable, measured and perfectly sane opinion to have. Unfortunately, a post like this is not the norm when discussing the issue on the rest of the Internet.

Some of the quotes in the video are fine. They are only bad because of the mocking tone and lack of context.

It's easy to belittle legitimate points by mocking them in a comedic way.

The kind of user who thinks western RPGs are getting ruined by releasing on consoles are morons, but the rpg codex crowd isn't exactly wrong either when they claim that e.g bioware doesn't make the type of games they used to from a gameplay viewpoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAdvqAG5goA&feature=youtu.be&t=6m27s

http://wccftech.com/ps4-neo-xbox-scorpio-hardware-quake-champions/

No, they arent morons. A controller with two sticks and very few number of buttons requires that games use lots of tricks and tweaks in order to be playable. Although made for gaming, they're honestly very inept tools. EVERY game thats on consoles is specifically designed and adapted and tweaked so a controller is doable. Its just that most people dont know what those tricks are or the designers were smart and they arent visible to the normal eye.

Renekton

In cases like ZeniMax or EA where the dev is a subsidiary of the publisher, the people making the game are not the ones making the call as to what mechanics should be added or removed. The shots are called at publisher level.
We really don't know that, unless there is a press sneak fk I missed.

Durante

That sounds fair enough at a glance.

But some of the comments used in this video seem to be (clumsily) replying to calls for "our" Larians and Obsidians to dumb down their games (or "just make them for the millions who play those games", if you find "dumb down" to be too judgemental), which would turn them from "our" Larians and Obsidians into "their" Bethesdas and Biowares.

Given that those two were, at some point, "our" Bethesada and Bioware, that concern does not seem entirely unfounded.

Some of the quotes in the video are fine. They are only bad because of the mocking tone and lack of context.

It's easy to belittle legitimate points by mocking them in a comedic way.
If you talk down to 'noobs' in your 'legitimate point' you are a child and deserve to be mocked.

jimboton

Is that so? It seems he has fooled some then..

lmao. To post this in this thread of all threads.

You realize this is the type of comment he's making fun of right? Lol

Top Bottom