• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGogo - Windows 10 GPD Handheld -299$ "A Laptop Fitting in Your Pocket"

MUnited83

For you.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a-laptop-fitting-in-your-pocket--2#/
ksemd3kukdvmjdmzy7s9.jpg

ilrnh1ycxv1t9gbsjdhn.jpg

cop09ai6pzfe62gyy2lh.jpg

tqpkmmea8rpcjwnfe0mn.jpg

mrmkaaexsmyiq2w1qoyr.jpg

Lowest price for it on the campaign is 299$, which I think it's a good price for what it is. Final retail price will be 499$ which is way overpriced imo.

topplehat

GPD has some other interesting devices out there, the XD being most similar to this one (but running Android instead). I kinda want in on this to replace my Nvidia Shield Portable, but I'm not confident in using Windows here.

Fularu

Banned
500$? That's probably before the usual -59% tacked on the original inflated price

If you believe GPD, th XD is really 409$

$299 doesn't too bad of a price but a final retail price of $499 is way too expensive. Not to mention that the processor is very modest. I think it'll be a little bit longer till Windows handhelds are truly ready for gaming.

Emarv

giphy.gif

I just don't see the use case for this kind of machine, but I guess it probably has a niche market somewhere. That said, I'd buy one if I had disposable cash because I love toys like this.

ekim

Well the GPU inside the Atom isn't really something to write home about but enough to have emulation and some lower spec Steam games running on it. For 299 it's ok

MUnited83

For you.
giphy.gif

I just don't see the use case for this kind of machine, but I guess it probably has a niche market somewhere. That said, I'd buy one if I had disposable cash because I love toys like this.
The ammount of indie games and older PC catalogue this can run would be a pretty amazing thing to have in a handheld nachibe. I would outright retire my PSVita because of this.

Well the GPU inside the Atom isn't really something to write home about but enough to have emulation and some lower spec Steam games running on it. For 299 it's ok
They are also considering upgrading it from the 500 to the 550 if they find reliable suppliers.

redlemon

I badly want a device like this but it's not explicitly said that it has x-input support which I think is a must have for a device like this. 500 is far too much as the final price considering how fast mobile processors are improving it could be outdated very quickly after it's release.

Seems kinda cool I guess but why buy this over a tablet with a wireless controller paired to it? Way better screen, controller, system specs, etc. You can get previous gen surface pro's for pretty cheap when they go on sale ($400 and less) and android tablets even cheaper if running Windows isn't important.

My wife has a surface pro 3 and I've played Wasteland 2 on it a few times.

This would be a pretty cool emulator machine though, very portable. But then again you could probably run all of them on tablets too.

I badly want a device like this but it's not explicitly said that it has x-input support which I think is a must have for a device like this. 500 is far too much as the final price considering how fast mobile processors are improving it could be outdated very quickly after it's release.

Can the x-input support peeps answer a question for a noob like me? I’m taking this is primarily for when you want to hook it to a TV and put a controller (e.g. 360 controller) into it?

Am I right in assuming that no x-input support doesn’t make a difference if you’re not planning to hook it up to a TV or not fussed about using an external controller? Or have I got it entirely wrong?

Seems kinda cool I guess but why buy this over a tablet with a wireless controller paired to it? Way better screen, controller, etc. You can get previous gen surface pro's for pretty cheap and android tablets even cheaper if running Windows isn't important.

Size. Otherwise, you can get this at 8 inch:
phpvyeigl.jpg

Can the x-input support peeps answer a question for a noob like me? I’m taking this is primarily for when you want to hook it to a TV and put a controller (e.g. 360 controller) into it?

Am I right in assuming that no x-input support doesn’t make a difference if you’re not planning to hook it up to a TV or not fussed about using an external controller? Or have I got it entirely wrong?

There's two kind of inputs for games on Windows: Dinput (Direct Input) which is the generic one and Xinput, which is the official Xbox input. Basically, Xinput support means no need to worry for compatibility or for mapping buttons.

LewieP

I would be interested in a Windows based gaming handheld, but I wouldn't want a physical keyboard like that, and I don't think the silicon is quite there to do a good job of it at a reasonable price.

No doubt there will be something more in line with my preferences within the next few years.

MUnited83

For you.
Seems kinda cool I guess but why buy this over a tablet with a wireless controller paired to it? Way better screen, controller, system specs, etc. You can get previous gen surface pro's for pretty cheap when they go on sale ($400 and less) and android tablets even cheaper if running Windows isn't important.

This would be a pretty cool emulator machine though, very portable. But then again you could probably run all of them on tablets too.

Well, for me a tablet with a controller paired to it is way too bulky. I want something I can easily keep on my pocket, that has the controls built into it, and that I can easily pop out while commuting. A tablet doesn't really suit my needs.

There's two kind of inputs for games on Windows: Dinput (Direct Input) which is the generic one and Xinput, which is the official Xbox input. Basically, Xinput support means no need to worry for compatibility or for mapping buttons.

Thanks - that makes sense, and as some have pointed out, far more important given the myriad of control set ups. Hmm.

I would be interested in a Windows based gaming handheld, but I wouldn't want a physical keyboard like that, and I don't think the silicon is quite there to do a good job of it at a reasonable price.

No doubt there will be something more in line with my preferences within the next few years.

A keyboard is something I think a unit like this really needs, and I think the one they have looks pretty decent, do you have any suggestions for what you think would be better?

I'm not trying to argue I just want to know if there's something better we should be expecting :D

LewieP

A keyboard is something I think a unit like this really needs, and I think the one they have looks pretty decent, do you have any suggestions for what you think would be better?

I'm not trying to argue I just want to know if there's something better we should be expecting :D

Including a keyboard make it far less practical to use specifically for handheld gaming, it's closer to a netbook than a gaming device based on the pictures in my opinion.

Windows has a pretty decent on screen keyboard for using with touchscreens these days, although the screen here might be a shade to small for that to be practical too.

Genio88

It's good, though with that Atom x5-Z8500 you'll be able to run almost only 2D indie games and mobile games from Windows 10 Store, i had a Surface 3(before upgrading to Surface Pro 4 i5), and despite it having the faster Atom x7-Z8700 it wasn't even able to run at a decent frame rate stuff like Oxenfree or Abe new'n tasty at the lower resolution and detail.

Well, for me a tablet with a controller paired to it is way too bulky. I want something I can easily keep on my pocket, that has the controls built into it, and that I can easily pop out while commuting. A tablet doesn't really suit my needs.
You can fit this thing in your pocket? From the concept art this thing looks way too bulky to fit into even sweatpants.

Including a keyboard make it far less practical to use specifically for handheld gaming, it's closer to a netbook than a gaming device based on the pictures in my opinion.

Windows has a pretty decent on screen keyboard for using with touchscreens these days, although the screen here might be a shade to small for that to be practical too.

Oh ok, I wasn't sure if you meant that a keyboard wasn't needed or that you preferred a different style/form factor.

Normally I might agree, but after trying out a gpd xd I noticed that the lower half of the unit where the touchscreen would be located on a DS, was just unused space that my fingers never imposed on.

I think it makes sense to make use of that area and a keyboard can be really benefitial for games that require multiple keybindings.

I know it'll be impractical as hell, but one of the main reasons I've always wanted a portable windows handheld was to be able to play Command & Conquer:Red Alert 2 skirmish mode against AI on the go.

I'm aware of how difficult/complicated of a game that would be to translate to a "3DS" style control scheme, but key bindings for units and structures would make it a lot easier.

muteki

giphy.gif

Not having owned one of the several devices out there like this over the years, but I always assumed the obvious selling point for them is emulators, not that that would ever be spelled out in black and white.

They might as well put a screenshot of Mario 64 on their marketing materials.

I wonder if this could run Hackintosh.

I really would have appreciated a touch screen--even a resistive one would be fine, perhaps even preferable, since I'd want to use a Stylus anyway.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Not having owned one of the several devices out there like this over the years, but I always assumed the obvious selling point for them is emulators, not that that would ever be spelled out in black and white.

They might as well put a screenshot of Mario 64 on their marketing materials.

I want to be able to play Dwarf Fortress on a decently comfortable portable device.

MUnited83

For you.
Portables
PSP, NDS, GBA

Consoles
SNES, N64, PS1

Maybe Wii/GC for Tenkaichi 3, Twin Snakes, Zelda games and Cap vs Tats.

Should do those portables and consoles you listed first. Gamecube and Wii will probably be possible somewhat but only simpler games.

Previous thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1168386

Their previous handhelds had been basically Android devices with physical controls. To me, this using windows is a much more interesting proposition than using Android.

edit: Not a fan of flexible goal though!
Well, I guess flexible isn't necessarily bad, since I think they will end up making the device either way. Although with two months left they should have no issues reaching the goal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It's on,y a 5.5" screen though - most netbooks were 10". It's more like a slightly bulkier vita in a clamshell case.

Surely that $500 'normal' price is bullshit though? 8"'atom based Windows tablets are less than $299 already and all this seems to add is the handy keyboard and controller. $299 might be a fair price but I think they're being really bloody cheeky pitching $299 as some kind of super bonus price. I can't believe it'll ever actually launch at $500

I'm not really familiar with IndieGogo, is there any chance that you could pledge the money for a unit and not receive the unit if it doesn't reach its goal?

Or is it a case of them using this to gauge interest and people that pledge will receive their unit regardless?

I'm not really familiar with IndieGogo, is there any chance that you could pledge the money for a unit and not receive the unit if it doesn't reach its goal?

Or is it a case of them using this to gauge interest and people that pledge will receive their unit regardless?

Honestly I would view it as a preorder. If they are delivering these things in 7 months then they are probably ready to go into production soon and are just raising capital to get better margins on their manufacturing run.

MUnited83

For you.

Should be the latter. Even flexible funding projects need to give something to the backers even if they don't get the money goal. While there's some people that try to scam the system, I think it's fair to assume they will give you your unit regardless, since they've already done quite a few handhelds, and they will make this handheld too even if they don't get the goal. This just seems like a way of driving up hype/attention and increase demand.

Honestly I would view it as a preorder. If they are delivering these things in 7 months then they are probably ready to go into production soon and are just raising capital to get better margins on their manufacturing run.
This is correct.

Should be the latter. Even flexible funding projects need to give something to the backers even if they don't get the money goal. While there's some people that try to scam the system, I think it's fair to assume they will give you your unit regardless, since they've already done quite a few handhelds, and they will make this handheld too even if they don't get the goal. This just seems like a way of driving up hype/attention and increase demand.

This is correct.

Thanks for the quick replies :D

I'm definitely gonna go for it in that case.

Fularu

Banned
It's on,y a 5.5" screen though - most netbooks were 10". It's more like a slightly bulkier vita in a clamshell case.

Surely that $500 'normal' price is bullshit though? 8"'atom based Windows tablets are less than $299 already and all this seems to add is the handy keyboard and controller. $299 might be a fair price but I think they're being really bloody cheeky pitching $299 as some kind of super bonus price. I can't believe it'll ever actually launch at $500
It will be 500$ with a special promotion of 60% off on release day.

It will be 200-250$ tops on geekbuying or Willgoo when it releases just like every GPD handheld

Ready in 7 months and they dont even post a video of it working...

I wish I could trust them, emulators, indies and Steam Streaming make it more than worth it at $299.

Stevey

lolwut

My windows phone is better than that.
inb4 yeah but they cost more.
That's what 2 year contracts are for.

Top Bottom