• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

I loved that the game was a simple puzzle game but if you really wanted to dive deep there was an incredibly sad and memorable story there.
I always felt calling it a puzzle game or a puzzle platformer was doing the game somewhat of a disservice. There are puzzles sure, but they tended to act as world-building, as ways to establish the brutal atmosphere, and as means for you to traverse or overcome obstacles.

Compared to say a Braid where the puzzles are the focus of the levels, and level-by-level you learn how to master a particular mechanic or whatnot. While in Limbo, it's a journey punctuated by hazards and challenges you need to overcome, that's constantly moving onto the next new obstacle to get past

Will report back with my initial impressions around 12:20am tonight.

I'm now going dark with this game until it's in my TV and the controller is in my hands :)

Afro

lKBWQ5Y.gif

dralla

I'm curious to hear impressions from people who weren't big fans of Limbo. I thought Limbo was okay, nothing more. Once you left the forest area the game lost a lot of its intrigue.

I always felt calling it a puzzle game or a puzzle platformer was doing the game somewhat of a disservice. There are puzzles sure, but they tended to act as world-building, as ways to establish the brutal atmosphere, and as means for you to traverse or overcome obstacles.

Compared to say a Braid where the puzzles are the focus on the levels, and level-by-level you learn how to master a particular mechanic or whatnot. While in Limbo, it's a journey punctuated by hazards and challenges you need to overcome, that's constantly moving onto the next new obstacle to get past

True. I was more interested in the world and thought the puzzles were just interesting filler.

silva1991

I have like $21 and when I try to pre order it says"how to you want to pay the rest"

???

does the game worth more than 21$ with tax or something?

True. I was more interested in the world and thought the puzzles were just interesting filler.

To me Limbo didn't really feel like there was a real world or story there, just kind of introduced new environments in a fluid manner, but no real way to get a good story out of it. Inside seems like it creates a much stronger world and story.

Replayed Limbo earlier this week. Besides the spider, the other moments that stuck out to me:

- Coming to the lake with the dead bodies, seeing the natives kill the fleeing person, then needing to use the bodies to get across the water and disable traps
- Activaring the machine that causes a drenching downpour
- Pushing the massive gear into the others and then releasing that you just started rotating the entire environment

The first really nailed the bleak pitch-black atmosphere, and the others were really cool environmental interactions that had unexpected world-wide influences

Excited to see how Inside tops those.

speedomodel

So ready for this. Cannot wait to sink into this. Hopefully it offers some replay value as well. Limbo was very much a one and done for me, though I adored the game/experience.

So ready for this. Cannot wait to sink into this. Hopefully it offers some replay value as well. Limbo was very much a one and done for me, though I adored the game/experience.
A good short game like Limbo or Oxenfree are like good movies or books. I can play them again and again and not got bored. Played Limbo at least 4 times across multiple platforms

I'll be honest - the Giant Bomb video threw me off.

I'm already sold because of where it comes from but didn't get all the things they were reacting to with excitement - it seemed like nothing?

I can't wait to take it on its own terms anyhow.

Oh ffs, I was so ready to start playing the game in just over 90 minutes. Now I'll be in work all day tomorrow reading all your impressions :(

I'm already sold because of where it comes from but didn't get all the things they were reacting to with excitement - it seemed like nothing?

Tension and well-crafted atmosphere can be exciting.

NateDrake

Tension and such are what make the opening exciting. But they talk over much of what is happening, so you don't experience what is happening with the same level of immersion as a result.

any word on lenght?
About 4hrs. I collected everything the game has to offer, and that may have added another 1hr, but 3.5-5hrs is what you'll get from it.

Vexidus

I'm really excited for this! Limbo was a revelatory experience for me, and I continue to think about it regularly. I've played it at least 8 times and own it on multiple platforms.

I just looked up the sales figures for Limbo and it has sold well over 3 million copies on Steam alone. That's pretty damn impressive. Playdead must have made so much money on it, and deservedly so.

Can't wait for this game to come out. I'll savour every second of it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
About 4hrs. I collected everything the game has to offer, and that may have added another 1hr, but 3.5-5hrs is what you'll get from it.

even tho thats still too short for me for a 20€ game these days, thats actually longer than I expected so thats good to know for the future when its on sale and more up my budget

Montresor

What is the correct interpretation of Limbo's story?

Is it the following?

Limbo spoilers:
The main character and his sister died in a car accident. Now he is forever stuck in limbo. The "limbo" is a dark, desolate world filled with monsters, people, and machinery that is aiming to kill the main character. The main character fights through those obstacles to chase after his sister. The story ends with a crash and crackling glass, symbolizing the car crash that killed him and his sister. Right after that crash and crackling glass the game starts again in the first level/set-piece, showing that the main character is hopelessly stuck in this "limbo".

That's from the top of my head and I hope that is somewhat accurate... If it's way offbase, I'd love accurate reading material to get myself caught up before I start Inside tonight.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Really looking forward to this. The end of the GB quicklook had me chuckling when Jason cut in saying he'd seen enough and then started to push the point with the video controls.

mjp2417

Banned

Just watched the quick look and while there is obviously a lot of basic introductory stuff because it is just the first 15 minutes of the game, the thing that happened near the end that they were all freaking out about was pretty legit goosebump inducing

I'm curious to hear impressions from people who weren't big fans of Limbo. I thought Limbo was okay, nothing more. Once you left the forest area the game lost a lot of its intrigue.

I more or less came away feeling the same about Limbo (though it's due for a revisit), yet I'm surprised by how excited I am for this. All the good word from critics I value has helped, but a few lines about the overall craft in Eurogamer's review really stood out to me.

"And yet, no spider. No spider equivalent. No ersatz spider. What's Playdead up to?

Then, somewhere around the two hour mark, I realised I'd stopped thinking about the spider. Inside doesn't replace it - although the last 20 minutes of this are easily the most memorable 20 minutes of any video game I've played in an age. It's more that the craft and care on display start to lift Inside above the impact of any one set-piece."

Soooo any word on PC spec requirements?

Here's the specs from steam.

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz, AMD FX 8120 @ 3.1 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 250 GTS, AMD Radeon HD6570 or equivalent
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 3 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel i7 920 @ 2.7 GHz, AMD Phenom II 945 @ 3.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 660, Radeon R9-270
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 3 GB available space

I know absolutely nothing about this game besides that it is done by the Limbo people. I have to wait till the PC release, so hopefully I won't be spoiled by then.

I didn't love Limbo like most, but I did like it and it seems that the atmosphere and story are improved, and that's what i'm all about.

Montresor

The Inside achievements aren't even on trueachievements.com right now.

I'd expect them to be there by now. I really wanted to play this when I got home tonight. I mean I pre-loaded the darn thing.

Top Bottom