• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD speed test thread (HDD/SSHD/SSD/STD)

Rizzilio

Neo Member
What's baffling is that people like LiquidMetal14 seem to have all options turned on and yet don't get the numbers that you get. Is it possible to share snapshots of all your settings screens? I know you would much rather be enjoying your PS4, but you seem to be on to something that a lot of people are failing to achieve! :)

i'm baffled as well. I've posted a couple crappy camera pics of my settings; one of the login settings, one of the auto upload/download, and one of the functions in standby mode. I'll do some more testing to see if I can replicate having all the standby options checked and still getting >4 secs standby boot time.

6FXvPfql.jpg

YUi2nEhl.jpg

VaGVGkvl.jpg

SDD Installed: 1TB Samsung Evo
Cost of HDD: $500
Boot from cold to menu time: 15 seconds
Boot from standby to menu time: 2 seconds

Ghosts is still d/ling, so I'll wait for it to finish before properly testing it.

viveks86

I know right?

I'm debating returning the SSHD for that drive now.

SDD Installed: 1TB Samsung Evo
Cost of HDD: $500
Boot from cold to menu time: 15 seconds
Boot from standby to menu time: 2 seconds

Ghosts is still d/ling, so I'll wait for it to finish before properly testing it.

LOL. Incredible! SSHD performance looks quite good overall as well. If only someone with an SSHD figures out how to get the 3 second boot time from standby, I'd get one immediately.

GAF i figured out the standby mystery!! When you are downloading or installing in the background the system goes to a higher standby mode. Therefore the system boots and shuts off faster. If you have nothing going on in the background at all there's a good chance you'll get a longer load. I just tested this this and got the 3 sec load.

tenchir

That travelstar standby boot time is breaking my brain. That much faster than a hybrid drive?

Have they tried doing stand by and cold boot a few time so that it get loaded into the NAND? I imagine that it might improve load time after 3-4 times of repeating it.

HGST 7200rpm. Sorry, It's not a Seagate as I mentioned beforehand. I do have a Seagate SSHD but haven't had a chance to test that. Here are the results for the HGST.

Start up after being turned off: 23.7 seconds
From Standby mode to dashboard: 5.67 seconds

viveks86

GAF i figured out the standby mystery!! When you are downloading or installing in the background the system goes to a higher standby mode. Therefore the system boots and shuts off faster. If you have nothing going on in the background at all there's a good chance you'll get a longer load. I just tested this this and got the 3 sec load.

Interesting. Can anyone else corroborate this?

HGST 7200rpm. Sorry, It's not a Seagate as I mentioned beforehand. I do have a Seagate SSHD but haven't had a chance to test that. Here are the results for the HGST.

Start up after being turned off: 23.7 seconds
From Standby mode to dashboard: 5.67 seconds

5.67! Yes! This is what I've been waiting to see. So do you have stuff downloading in the background like Killing_Joke?

Patches for Battlefield, Killzone, and Ass Creed are downloading. I just added Blacklight, Contrast, and Warframe tot he download list.

Should I try again?

Edit:

Looks like I should wait until those finish and have nothing running, if it speed up standby boot.

Rizzilio

Neo Member

Interesting. Can anyone else corroborate this?

I just tried with nothing downloading or any applications open, still getting the 3-4 sec boot. tried it multiple times, still getting that same boot.

viveks86

I just tried with nothing downloading or any applications open, still getting the 3-4 sec boot. tried it multiple times, still getting that same boot.

LOL. Yeah it can't be just background downloading. If that were the case, then a lot of people should have reported these times. It's very unlikely that everyone who reported the longer duration did so with nothing in the download queue. To me, the mystery still seems unsolved.

Well i'm just going to assume any HDD has the 3 sec boot with background downloading. SSD/7200 get it no matter what. They all sound like winners i just guess go with your budget.

Biker19

Banned
Sorry for asking this, but are there any good HDD's or SSHD's that have either a 1.5 TB capcity of a 2 TB capacity?

i have a question. my standby boot which goes to a passcode is less than 5 seconds. do i actually have to wait before i test it out? im using stock HDD btw.

24 seconds after i powered down and booted up to passcode

fade_

Sorry if this has been asked but does the ps4 have trim support? If not does this severely effect an SSD with TLC's lifetime?

isual

which samsung ssd is better ? EVO or the PRO series ?

also, if any of you guys bought the 1tb evo for 1tb. baller as fuark.

viveks86

i have a question. my standby boot which goes to a passcode is less than 5 seconds. do i actually have to wait before i test it out? im using stock HDD btw.

24 seconds after i powered down and booted up to passcode

You mean wait till it fully powers down? From what I've learnt, as long as the light turns orange, it makes no difference when you test it. The only unknown here is to figure out if your ps4 is still actively doing stuff, such as downloading or installing. For some of them, boot up time is fast if stuff is being downloaded, but turns into a cold boot if there is nothing in the queue.

Sorry if this has been asked but does the ps4 have trim support? If not does this severely effect an SSD with TLC's lifetime?

I believe the new SSD's have TRIM support inbuilt and doesn't matter if the PS4 supports it. I could be wrong.

You mean wait till it fully powers down? From what I've learnt, as long as the light turns orange, it makes no difference when you test it. The only unknown here is to figure out if your ps4 is still actively doing stuff, such as downloading or installing. For some of them, boot up time is fast if stuff is being downloaded, but turns into a cold boot if there is nothing in the queue.

ah okay. i did it without any download queue. and it ended up 28 seconds to do the standby boot. pretty weird.

viveks86

ah okay. i did it without any download queue. and it ended up 28 seconds to do the standby boot. pretty weird.

Yeah. It seems like the system goes to full stand by if there is nothing in the download queue, but is in an intermediate "sleep/suspend" state when downloading stuff. I'm guessing it's this sleep/suspend state that would be made standard once the suspend/resume functionality for games is in place. Until then, you reap its benefits as long as there is some download going on. The only contradiction to this theory is some PS4's are in this state even without a download queue. No idea how.

I know no one could probably test this but I'd love to know if there was any difference is loading for. Disk based game and I PSN version. I'm still undecided if I want to go all digital.

robo

Could it be the cache size of the drive? Could this be holding the info even in standby and booting from the ram on the hdd rather than the hdd itself? Maybe the larger cache size of the quicker hdd is bigger than those that are slower, or am I just clutching?

2weeks for me so hopefully you guys can narrow it down for us waiters lol.

Vizzeh

Banned
Im not sure IGNs test is final at this stage, seems the stock drive won a couple of things and the SSD didnt (altho won most )

I suspect a few settings changes or software updates would change things, would also have liked to see a couple AAA Digital games tested because of the size of the game.

Also tested by loading a game, say BF4 on the SSHD, timing, loading a couple of other games then BF4 again, timing, reload 4 more times, timing. Just to test the caching of the drive.

Im not so sure why the SSD should be outperformed ever by the stock drive. (as show in the test)

ph00p

Banned
It seems most people changing drives with a 7200rpm drive also have a cache on them, is it worth it to swap the drive from stock for a 7200rpm that might be a bit older and have smaller cache?

Is there a cache on the stock drive?

Vizzeh

Banned
apparently the standby is affected by the downloads also, It goes into a lower standby state while DOWNLOADING of PSN, which is why it takes only 3 seconds to boot.

Also people are noticing when downloading alot of games and playing a game, it could cause a crash, seemingly the 5400RPM drive could be a bottleneck. Download manager probably needs imroved since you cannot pause the downloads its all or nothing.

cormack12

Gold Member
I believe the new SSD's have TRIM support inbuilt and doesn't matter if the PS4 supports it. I could be wrong.

It does matter if the underlying OS supports TRIM. Not necessarily for the performance we measure in terms of loading games etc. but for efficiency and endurance. SSD drives do come with their own sort of garbage collection.

Think of it this way. When you delete a file on a normal HDD, the OS just marks the sectors as 'free'. It can overwrite this sector when it wants with no penalties (maybe fragmentation further down the road).

Contrast that to an SSD. When you 'delete' a file, it remains in the NAND because of the way SSD's balance erase/write cycles. It only knows it's invalid when the OS tries to overwrite the same address/sector in the future. When the OS tries to write here again, then the SSD will write the new data and live data to a new cell, and erase the dirty cell - effectively creating a penalty. Meanwhile because the OS has no way to communicate with the controller, this data will still be moved round as part of the hardware garbage collection until it is overwritten, creating unnecessary writes and erases.

Although the marketing would have you believe that fragmentation doesn't occur on SSD in the traditional sense, a dirty NAND is just as detrimental and to be honest is a form of fragmentation in itself.

Taking the example above, TRIM support at the software level allows commands to be sent to the controller after the soft ;delete' has taken place. This optimises the erase/write cycle at this point, creating new empty clean NAND to avoid the penalties to endurance and performance described above.

Having said all this, how 95% of people use SSD in consoles, it won't really matter until years 4-5 anyway in my opinion. Then you might see performance degradation.

FreeBSD 9.0 (core of Orbis) does support TRIM and Sony may patch it in later as a system update depending on how sales for SSD's go.

SSHD seem to be a far safer bet, but even then the NAND allowance isn't huge per platter (currently 500GB at the spec we look at). As always with tech, it's usually a case of trade off at some point.

viveks86

Here is one more test that people still getting 3 second boots should try for the sake of our sanity. Unplug your PS4 from the network to prevent it from doing any stealth network activity. Switch to stand by. Give it some time and then boot again.

It does matter if the underlying OS supports TRIM. Not necessarily for the performance we measure in terms of loading games etc. but for efficiency and endurance. SSD drives do come with their own sort of garbage collection.

Think of it this way. When you delete a file on a normal HDD, the OS just marks the sectors as 'free'. It can overwrite this sector when it wants with no penalties (maybe fragmentation further down the road).

Contrast that to an SSD. When you 'delete' a file, it remains in the NAND because of the way SSD's balance erase/write cycles. It only knows it's invalid when the OS tries to overwrite the same address/sector in the future. When the OS tries to write here again, then the SSD will write the new data and live data to a new cell, and erase the dirty cell - effectively creating a penalty. Meanwhile because the OS has no way to communicate with the controller, this data will still be moved round as part of the hardware garbage collection until it is overwritten, creating unnecessary writes and erases.

Although the marketing would have you believe that fragmentation doesn't occur on SSD in the traditional sense, a dirty NAND is just as detrimental and to be honest is a form of fragmentation in itself.

Taking the example above, TRIM support at the software level allows commands to be sent to the controller after the soft ;delete' has taken place. This optimises the erase/write cycle at this point, creating new empty clean NAND to avoid the penalties to endurance and performance described above.

Having said all this, how 95% of people use SSD in consoles, it won't really matter until years 4-5 anyway in my opinion. Then you might see performance degradation.

FreeBSD 9.0 (core of Orbis) does support TRIM and Sony may patch it in later as a system update depending on how sales for SSD's go.

SSHD seem to be a far safer bet, but even then the NAND allowance isn't huge per platter (currently 500GB at the spec we look at). As always with tech, it's usually a case of trade off at some point.

Thanks for the explanation! I did read up a little more about it as well. I stand corrected :)

Glad I went with 7200rpm drive over SSHD, hybrid drive solution somehow didn't feel right in PS4 environment.

Are you getting sub 5 second boots without a download queue as well?

DBT85

Just got up, will go for a run and then update the OP.

If people could please follow the layout I out in the OP it would sure make it easier, the videos of course are great.

Are you getting sub 5 second boots without a download queue as well?
Lol my PS4 is still in transit somewhere in London. But from what I'm seeing in this thread and elsewhere, 7200 drives are giving consistently better results than stock HDDs, unlike hybrid drives which seems to be all over the palace.

Vizzeh

Banned
Lol my PS4 is still in transit somewhere in London. But from what I'm seeing in this thread and elsewhere, 7200 drives are giving consistently better results than stock HDDs, unlike hybrid drives which seems to be all over the palace.

Lucky git, mine is to arrive to me in the UK, on the 19 :p

Top Bottom