• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Review Thread (Release Date - 1/15/13) Embargo is over!

Duffyside

Banned
Heh, Brad from Giant Bomb's header reads "The character action genre hasn't been this stylish or crazy in a good long while."

... Bayonetta? Right?

Maybe I'll see some footage in the coming days and eat crow on that, but as of now I read that sentence and just say "WHAT... are you talking about?"

Heh, Brad from Giant Bomb's header reads "The character action genre hasn't been this stylish or crazy in a good long while."

... Bayonetta? Right?

Maybe I'll see some footage in the coming days and eat crow on that, but as of now I read that sentence and just say "WHAT... are you talking about?"

That's the one aspect of the review I do take a lot of issue with. C'mon, Brad, play Bayonetta.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

... Bayonetta? Right?

3 years is a good long while.

ezekial45

Banned
Bayonetta is actually more than 3 years old, in case you weren't aware.

That's the way I took it too. Bayonetta and GoW3 were released around the same time, and it's been a long time since we got something like that. And since NG3 shit the bed, it's made that drought even more apparent.

iavi

It always takes me a second to realize that, yes, NG3 was a very bad game. 2 was no black, but was still a very good game. What happened to the series that justified my owning only an Xbox for a long period of time last gen? God.

RIP in peace OG DM...

No fuk dat shit. It WILL fucking return and it will be GODLIKE!

I will not fap again...for a month if OG DMC returns with fucking Dante and Vergil

Let's wait for DmC sales first.

I'd have to imagine that it does well...both console versions are in Amazon top 10 best seller lists right now

shit just got real on youtube...trying to watch a DMC4 video and got hit with a unskippable 30-sec commercial of DmC

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'd have to imagine that it does well...both console versions are in Amazon top 10 best seller lists right now

To be fair, it's the day before release... I think that's to be expected. The majority of sales for the game will be in the next few days. That said, I still think it will sell well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
RIP in peace OG DM...

No fuk dat shit. It WILL fucking return and it will be GODLIKE!

Well:

Destructoid said:
I asked the producers if they've noticed that some series fans are are worried that this reboot of the franchise might mark the end of the classic, Japanese Devil May Cry that they've loved for so long. Itsuno assured us that DmC more of a new branch for the franchise, and that there's still a possibility for a return to the more classic gameplay and style.

"We do hear from the press a lot," said Itsuno. "We want to emphasize that we're firm believers in that opening one door does not mean that another has to close automatically. We are leaving all options on the table, so to speak."

"We are excited about this new iteration of DmC and are eager to get this into your hands, and we want people to play it and enjoy it. If people are still interested in exploring the other world of DmC that exists, we're happy to go back to that as well."

Itsuno made it clear: "We view this not as a replacement for the Devil May Cry world, but as an expansion of it. No one knows where it will head, but we're open to all possibilities."

Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/sdcc-cap...ture-is-open-231395.phtml#s0w0pjxMk4KKjOwY.99

Of course, DMC5 could also end up being developed by Ninja Theory just using the traditional universe.

It's not like their art assets are going to be overwhelmingly useful going into next generation anyway, and presumably they're moving to Unreal Engine 4, so Ninja Theory's doors are pretty open to mixing whatever styles they want together.

This is why I say OG DMC is dead. Capcom has continued on with other failures so why not just keep on trucking with this new found critical success? Plus this is a reboot, remember that. I also don't believe Itsuno at all.

demidar

This is why I say OG DMC is dead. Capcom has continued on with other failures so why not just keep on trucking with this new found critical success? Plus this is a reboot, remember that. I also don't believe Itsuno at all.

If DmC sells well enough (1.5m+ I'd say), an OG DMC revival is dead. It'll probably happen since DmC is a lot more accessible.

Afrocious

I don't know if I want to believe DMC is dead, and to be replaced by DmC. I mean, DMC4 was annoying with it's backtracking but I found switching styles and weapons on the fly with Dante to be the logical progressive improvement from DMC3. I was hoping DMC5 would even do better with better levels hopefully.

I thought the DmC demo was fun but I think it's a downgrade from what I got used to these past few years. I mean, yeah, I could just suck it up and enjoy the damn game but did it really have to be Devil May Cry?

I'm not seeing why a DMC5 would even hope to exist anymore outside of this rebooted series Ninja Theory has begun. Thinking about it kinda makes me sad in a honestly nerdy way I guess - as a whole I personally never saw enough of a problem with the og DMC series for it to end the way it did and for it to have a reboot with a game made with the kind of pandering it employs. By pandering, I mean this larger emphasis on story which has to do with people being corrupted by TV and the food they eat.

I'm just butthurt I guess.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I thought the DmC demo was fun but I think it's a downgrade from what I got used to these past few years. I mean, yeah, I could just suck it up and enjoy the damn game but did it really have to be Devil May Cry?

I'm not seeing why a DMC5 would even hope to exist anymore outside of this rebooted series Ninja Theory has begun. Thinking about it kinda makes me sad in a honestly nerdy way I guess - as a whole I personally never saw enough of a problem with the og DMC series for it to end the way it did and for it to have a reboot with a game made with the kind of pandering it employs. By pandering, I mean this larger emphasis on story which has to do with people being corrupted by TV and the food they eat.

I'm just butthurt I guess.

Don't be ashamed. You're losing something that's important. A lot of us are. The only thing you can do is show support for the original series.

Riposte

... Bayonetta? Right?

4/5, thanks Ryan :3

Seik

Banned
Of course, DMC5 could also end up being developed by Ninja Theory just using the traditional universe.

OG Dante @ 30FPS.

Just messin, because at this point we'll be into next gen. Maybe we can expect higher framerate with the better specs, since it can get at least 100FPS on a 460GTX. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You'd think that it'd need to outsell DMC4, which is currently the best selling game in the franchise.

Given that the regular team is on Dragon's Dogma (which is likely bleeding money like mad), I would say that the bar lowers considerably to "this is a profitable venture that isn't killing the franchise".

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
When I was reading this thread at any earlier time, it seemed people we're making fun of the game and the early reviews that said they liked it. Now that Giant Bomb rated it high people are saying it's good?
KuGsj.gif

demidar

You'd think that it'd need to outsell DMC4, which is currently the best selling game in the franchise.

Hmm, maybe. I can't quite predict what Capcom will do though. Will be interesting to see the sales data on this DmC since I can't even begin to predict if it'll sell more or less, but if I had to guess I'd say more than 2m.

As an aside, I don't really trust reviewers for character action games (relatively speaking, I don't rely on reviews very much), everything else is fair game.

Hmm, maybe. I can't quite predict what Capcom will do though. Will be interesting to see the sales data on this DmC since I can't even begin to predict if it'll sell more or less, but if I had to guess I'd say more than 2m.

DMC vs DmC crossover score attack game!

Given that the regular team is on Dragon's Dogma (which is likely bleeding money like mad), I would say that the bar lowers considerably to "this is a profitable venture that isn't killing the franchise".

You're probably right. It would just be weird if they were happy with 1.5m after saying that sales were one of the key reasons that they went with the reboot. And if I remember correctly, wasn't one of their goals for the game to reach 90 on Metacritic? That seems unlikely.

demidar

You're probably right. It would just be weird if they were happy with 1.5m after saying that sales were one of the key reasons that they went with the reboot. And if I remember correctly, wasn't one of their goals for the game to reach 90 on Metacritic? That seems unlikely.

I don't have any basis for what I'm about to say, but wouldn't creating DMC4 be really expensive (despite half the game being copied)? If it was, then DMC5 would be even more expensive since players expect more and better. By rebooting they could bring the costs down and diminish increasing expectations.

sleepykyo

OG Dante @ 30FPS.

Just messin, because at this point we'll be into next gen. Maybe we can expect higher framerate with the better specs, since it can get at least 100FPS on a 460GTX. :p

If a developer isn't comfortable with how 60fps game looks this generation in comparison to the 30fps console peers, that gap is still going to be there next generation. Or does the next gen hardware work out in manner where doubling the frame rate is going to have a noticeable painting setback?

Well:

It's not like their art assets are going to be overwhelmingly useful going into next generation anyway, and presumably they're moving to Unreal Engine 4, so Ninja Theory's doors are pretty open to mixing whatever styles they want together.

Don't believe a word of it. It makes no sense, especially as going into next generation publishers will be becoming more risk adverse than they already.

Stick a fork in OG DMC. Its done.

I don't have any basis for what I'm about to say, but wouldn't creating DMC4 be really expensive (despite half the game being copied)? If it was, then DMC5 would be even more expensive since players expect more and better. By rebooting they could bring the costs down and diminish increasing expectations.

I don't think that we've ever seen estimations on how much DMC games cost to develop. But Ninja Theory does use performance capture, and that isn't cheap. But Nirolak probably hit on why we probably won't see another DMC developed by Capcom any time soon. Itsuno is busy with Dragon's Dogma now. They had to find someone else to take over.

AppleMIX

I don't get why they let him review DmC when he's never played Devil May Cry 3. That's a travesty, his opinion doesn't count.

Why? It's nice to have context but it is hardly necessary. A game review should be about the content on the disc not based about what name is on the box. Does the game become better or worse (IE reviewed better) because of what the title is?

demidar

I don't think that we've ever seen estimations on how much DMC games cost to develop. But Ninja Theory does use performance capture, and that isn't cheap. But Nirolak probably hit on why we probably won't see another DMC developed by Capcom any time soon. Itsuno is busy with Dragon's Dogma now. They had to find someone else to take over.

I thought DMC used Reuben Langdon for motion capture as well.

I want people to read this. It's not a review, but I feel it's still relevant.

VG247 said:
Devil May Cry is a video game. You are throwing a hissy fit because a character in a spin-off video game has a different backstory and hair colour to the one you’re used to. I shudder to think what will happen if you are ever required to move house, break up a relationship, change jobs or shave off your neckbeard.

You’ve lost it, “gamers”. I’m ashamed to be sharing an arbitrary demographic grouping with such raving imbeciles. Go outside. Get some fresh air. Volunteer at a soup kitchen. Grow the fuck up. And try DmC: Devil May Cry, because it’s a good video game. Remember how you used to like those?

That's only just a small portion, but it's the part that should kick in the balls of most people still throwing a hussy fit.

Link.

Disclosure: I worked with Brenna for 18 months at VG247 before I left it and she is sickeningly one of the best writers I've ever known in the games industry and I think this backs it up.

Aaron

You can't argue or reason with children throwing a tantrum. Insulting doesn't help either. You better off just ignoring them.

demidar

I want people to read this. It's not a review, but I feel it's still relevant.

That's only just a small portion, but it's the part that should kick in the balls of most people still throwing a hussy fit.

Link.

Disclosure: I worked with Brenna for 18 months at VG247 before I left it and she is sickeningly one of the best writers I've ever known in the games industry and I think this backs it up.

I prefer Jeff Gerstmann's response.

Top Bottom