• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why nothing can travel faster than light: An easy-to-understand explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zzoram said:
Because I have an interest in the future of humanity, particularly if we'll be able to spread across the stars to ensure our species (or whatever our progency evolve into) never goes extinct, or if we'll go extinct on our home planet.

that has nothing to do with light speed. We don't need to travel faster then light to expand across the universe.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's a decent explanation for time dilation though. Even if it doesn't really explain anything at all it paints a nice picture.

Zzoram

weekend_warrior said:
that has nothing to do with light speed. We don't need to travel faster then light to expand across the universe.

We probably do.

Everything is so far apart, it's highly unlikely that a massive colony ship could travel for a 100,000 years and arrive intact if we were to find a suitable planet to colonize some number of light years away.

Also, the further away habitable planets or planets suitable for terraforming may be, the further any exploratory probe would have to travel to verify it, and the longer it would take for us to commit to sending a colony ship.

Zzoram

esc said:
Yeah and Star Trek predates that. Pretty impressive on the part of the Star Trek writers.

Star Trek is pretty remarkable and I'm pretty sure physicists and engineers are all at least casual fans of it.

StuBurns

Banned
Dechaios said:
...the observable universe consists of the galaxies and other matter that we can in principle observe from Earth in the present day, because light (or other signals) from those objects has had time to reach us since the beginning of the cosmological expansion...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe

There is stuff in the universe that we can't see because the light hasn't gotten to us. The universe is expanding, sure, but there is a limit to how much we can see because the light hasn't reached us yet. So there is more out there that we haven't been able to observe. I think what I was referring to earlier is that given enough time, the acceleration of all matter in the universe will become faster than the speed of light, and so galaxies will just fade out into the void of space due to the light's inability to ever reach us. Everything will be so far apart, you wouldn't be able to see any stars outside of your own galaxy.
You're correct, this is what I was confusing I think:

Both popular and professional research articles in cosmology often use the term "universe" to mean "observable universe". This can be justified on the grounds that we can never know anything by direct experimentation about any part of the universe that is causally disconnected from us, although many credible theories require a total universe much larger than the observable universe. No evidence exists to suggest that the boundary of the observable universe constitutes a boundary on the universe as a whole, nor do any of the mainstream cosmological models propose that the universe has any physical boundary in the first place, though some models propose it could be finite but unbounded, like a higher-dimensional analogue of the 2D surface of a sphere which is finite in area but has no edge.

DasDamen

Dechaios said:
...the observable universe consists of the galaxies and other matter that we can in principle observe from Earth in the present day, because light (or other signals) from those objects has had time to reach us since the beginning of the cosmological expansion...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe

There is stuff in the universe that we can't see because the light hasn't gotten to us. The universe is expanding, sure, but there is a limit to how much we can see because the light hasn't reached us yet. So there is more out there that we haven't been able to observe. I think what I was referring to earlier is that given enough time, the acceleration of all matter in the universe will become faster than the speed of light, and so galaxies will just fade out into the void of space due to the light's inability to ever reach us. Everything will be so far apart, you wouldn't be able to see any stars outside of your own galaxy.

And if you take it a step further, all matter will eventually decay into the smallest possible subatomic particles possible, with each of those particles accelerating away from each other faster than the speed of light. Or, so I've read somewhere on the internet.

Draft

I guess what I still don't understand is why the speed of light = the speed at which we move through time.

Raistlin

While I like the metaphor, it is pretty straightforward ... this isn't an explanation at all. The metaphor is entirely dependent on unexplained and unsubstantiated premises. It's entirely circular.

Ranger X

I am probably side stepping here but I would like some knowledgeable dodging for this statement for me:

I understand nothing goes faster than light from the standpoint we have ('cause we cannot understand something from another standpoint afterall) but what I think is that light is just the faster thing we know of right now, not that it's "the fastest thing".

StuBurns

Banned
Ranger X said:
I am probably side stepping here but I would like some knowledgeable dodging for this statement for me:

I understand nothing goes faster than light from the standpoint we have ('cause we cannot understand something from another standpoint afterall) but what I think is that light is just the faster thing we know of right now, not that it's "the fastest thing".
Why do you think that?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Zzoram said:
We probably do.

Everything is so far apart, it's highly unlikely that a massive colony ship could travel for a 100,000 years and arrive intact if we were to find a suitable planet to colonize some number of light years away.

Also, the further away habitable planets or planets suitable for terraforming may be, the further any exploratory probe would have to travel to verify it, and the longer it would take for us to commit to sending a colony ship.
I read that speeds under but very close to FTL are possible. The ship departs and the speed builds up over time somehow and takes like 50 years to go to point B.

But if you were to come back to earth it'd be a 1,000 or so years in the future?

I don't know if I understand it correctly but it sounds bleak. Each 50 year trip to spread the human race could leave the planet you just left being destroyed and the planet your approaching being destroyed since you're having a lot of time passing off the ship?

Draft said:
I guess what I still don't understand is why the speed of light = the speed at which we move through time.
Yeah.. i'm still thinking about that one too. But to be fair, i'm pissed. So i'll just read this stuff again tomorrow.

Coins

Banned
People used to state facts to back up their idea of the earth being the center of the universe and that the earth was flat.

Not saying anyone here is wrong, just the fact that we are absolutely correct until the next big realization decides to present itself to humanity.

Ranger X said:

Considering that we thought the would was flat a mere 500 years ago, you're probably right.

Haly

Obviously, the assertion that "nothing can go faster than light" is based upon our current model of the universe. If we did find something that traveled faster than light, we'd have to start all over again from square one.

This is usually implicit, since it'd be tiresome to constantly restate "okay we think this thing works like this, based on what we already know".

weekend_warrior said:
Considering that we thought the would was flat a mere 500 years ago, you're probably right.

Exactly.

Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans couldn't move faster than light. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

Ranger X

StuBurns said:
Why do you think that?

Because humans have this arrogance of saying they know things until they discover something and retract their previous statement. I just like to play with the way many scientists are talking.

DogWelder

Ranger X said:

Massless particles travel the speed of light. Photons, which make up light, are one of those particles, but there are others. These massless particles are the fastest "things" in the universe because they move through spacetime with a velocity that is as fast as the universe will allow; they go the speed limit of the universe. There is nothing that can travel faster in a universe in which relativity applies. The universe itself has set the limits.

Jack Scofield said:
Exactly.

Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans couldn't move faster than light. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

thats some deep shit son.

MiB was a great movie. :D

StuBurns

Banned
Ranger X said:
Because humans have this arrogance of saying they know things until they discover something and retract their previous statement. I just like to play with the way many scientists are talking.
But you just said you think light isn't the fastest thing, is that not essentially the arrogance of humanity you're referring to?

dojokun

Banned
I read the whole thing, and it just gives you an easy way to visualize the state of not being able to travel faster than light. It doesn't actually explain WHY. The moment you accepted time as the fourth dimension, you've unknowingly overlooked the original question as to WHY you can't go faster than light. You've accepted the condition as reality and learned another way of visualizing it. That's all that was accomplished.

Haly

Hey guys, hey.

Myth of the Flat Earth.

Also, saying "well you don't know what tomorrow will bring" is completely pointless. Might as well stop all avenues of inquiry because how can we like, know for sure, maaaan?

The point is to discover something then subject it to scrutiny until it breaks, all credible scientists know this. They don't really need you guys to point it out.

Ranger X

esc said:
Massless particles travel the speed of light. Photons, which make up light, are one of those particles, but there are others. These massless particles are the fastest "things" in the universe because they move through spacetime with a velocity that is as fast as the universe will allow; they go the speed limit of the universe. There is nothing that can travel faster in a universe in which relativity applies. The universe itself has set the limits.

Until we re-write those rules of discover something else that will anyways change this statement, I agree with you. :)

Haly

The effects of gravity do indeed travel at the speed of light.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT6A85km9qw&feature=player_detailpage#t=40s

Do I understand this Stephen Hawinking video correctly?

It would take a large ship with a lot of fuel 6 years at full power to reach 99% of the speed of light. He says a single day on the ship at 99% is a year on Earth. ~3 years at 99% the speed of light is ~1,000 years On Earth? He says it'd take 80 total years including the 6 year build up to reach the edge of the galaxy?

If we don't achieve FTL humans could go extinct while the ship barely reaches the edge of the galaxy? That's bleak as fuck.

DeathNote said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT6A85km9qw&feature=player_detailpage#t=40s

Do I understand this Stephen Hawinking video correctly?

It would take a large ship with a lot of fuel 6 years at full power to reach 99% of the speed of light. He says a single day on the ship at 99% is a year on Earth. ~3 years at 99% the speed of light is ~1,000 years On Earth? He says it'd take 80 total years including the 6 year build up to reach the edge of the galaxy?

If we don't achieve FTL humans could go extinct while the ship barely reaches the edge of the galaxy? That's bleak as fuck.

Somewhat unrelated but wouldn't the stars further out be older and less likely to support life?

ZAK

I've never heard that before and it's a cool analogy. But yeah, it doesn't really say why that is the way things are. Personally I was more intrigued by the idea that light doesn't travel through time at all...

itxaka

Defeatist
So if times goes slower as you approach the speed of light, once you surpass it you would theoretically be travelling backwards in time?

I know i know, not possible blah blah blah, but if it was possible, would it work that way? neat.

Orayn

weekend_warrior said:
No, not really. The idea of a spherical Earth was accepted as early as Greek antiquity, and was pretty well established in scholarly circles by the medieval era. The Islamic world inherited a lot of their scientific knowledge directly from the Greeks, and had it figured out even earlier. But that's all beside the point.

Every "fact" we discover with the scientific method is implicitly preceded by "to the best of our knowledge," and is subject to scrutiny. However, not all scrutiny is created equal. Quibbling over minor details of a scientific theory is one thing, but if you claim that part of our fundamental understanding of the universe is completely wrong, you need to provide an explanation that is more accurate, more predicting, and more complete than whatever you're trying to replace. If you're really onto something and you're using good methodology, the evidence will see you through. If not... Tough break. You're back to square one. That's just how science works. Science not providing complete, metaphysical certitude does not mean that its findings can ever be considered trivial.
itxaka said:
So if times goes slower as you approach the speed of light, once you surpass it you would theoretically be travelling backwards in time?

I know i know, not possible blah blah blah, but if it was possible, would it work that way? neat.
You could twist some time dilation equations and make them say that, but yeah, not really a physical model at all. Traveling at 'c' means experiencing the absolute minimum amount of progress in the "forward in time" direction for every unit of normal "x,y,z" distance you move. As far as we know, it is a hard limit, and all kinds of very well-established theory would be broken were that not the case.

itxaka

Defeatist
Orayn said:
You could twist some time dilation equations and make them say that, but yeah, not really a physical model at all. Traveling at 'c' means experiencing the absolute minimum amount of progress in the "forward in time" direction for every unit of normal "x,y,z" distance you move. As far as we know, it is a hard limit, and all kinds of very well-established theory would be broken were that not the case.

Sorry, english is not my first language so I didn't understand anything. In layman's term means that you won't travel backwards in time once you surpass the speed of light?

Acheron

Banned
Whoever wrote that is terrible.

A) It's too fucking long and pointless

B) It says you can't travel faster than light because you can't. That doesn't fucking answer how we know that light speed is a limit. Just saying light speed is the limit as if it is an axiom doesn't explain anything.

The way I was taught is similar, but I feel it is easier and shorter. Imagine a car that only goes 10 ft/sec. If you go straight forward, after one second, you've moved ten feet. Now if you decide to go at a 45 degree angle, you're still only going 10 ft/sec, but you cant have gone forward ten feet because you're also going to the right (or left, doesn't matter) some amount of feet. Consequently, if you're moving forward through time at 10 units/units (sec/sec? I dunno, it's weird) and decide to move in the xyz dimensions, your speed through the t dimension must decrease. Now imagine that if you were standing still, you would be going through time at the speed of light (Again, units are wonky when you do this). If you tried to move through xyz at the speed of light, you would have to stop moving through time, since the speed of light is the limit to your speed. And going faster than the speed of light in X would be impossible, because there's not enough energy. (Maybe going FTL in x would make tou go backwards in time? I'm not sure of there's a consensus on that.)

PS. Typed this on my phone in the car. Forgive stupud mistakes?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
itxaka said:

Seems more like the rest of the universe would appear to be frozen in time.

flawfuls

itxaka said:

No it just doesn't work that way.

In the same line of thinking you could say that if you moved faster than the speed of light in 4th dimension would would be like moving slower than stopped in the other three, but obviously you can't move slower that not moving at all. It just doesn't make any sense.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:
Somewhat unrelated but wouldn't the stars further out be older and less likely to support life?
Stars in our galaxy? I'm assuming we'd want to get out of our galaxy to find other planets. From my understanding 99% the speed of light is the fastest way to do that but the planet you're leaving the the planet you're approaching is rapidly aging. 90% the speed of light is barely traveling through time apparently but I'm assuming that'd be hella slow.

So, it's like a no win scenario? If we can't do FTL we eventually have to live on a ship to survive?

StuBurns said:
If it is in effect 'instantly', it is in effect at the speed of light, no?

No because that would be implying gravity travels through space like light. It doesn't, it is a persistent effect that is woven into timespace.

Draft

DeathNote said:
Stars in our galaxy? I'm assuming we'd want to get out of our galaxy to find other planets.
CRi3M.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
No because that would be implying gravity travels through space like light. It doesn't, it is a persistent effect that is woven into timespace.
I looked on Wiki after I posted that, it says it's in effect at the speed of time, so I'm going with that.

The speed of gravitational waves in the general theory of relativity is equal to the speed of light in vacuum, c.[1] Within the theory of special relativity, the constant c is not exclusively about light; instead it is the highest possible speed for any physical interaction in nature. Formally, c is a conversion factor for changing the unit of time to the unit of space.[2] This makes it the only speed which does not depend either on the motion of an observer or a source of light and/or gravity. Thus, the speed of "light" is also the speed of gravitational waves and any massless particle. So far, the only candidates for massless particles in physics are the photons that light waves consist of, and also the theoretical gravitons which make up the associated field particles of gravity, if a quantum mechanical theory for gravity is ever successfully constructed.

Feep

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
gravity is a persistent effect, it does not travel at any speed.
Incorrect, from what I understand. Neil Degrasse Tyson, or someone, was using the fact that giant masses didn't "know" there were giant masses because they were so large as part of figuring out the type of curvature of time-space.

It was a very interesting video. Wish I could find it.

I thought the explanation was very straight forward. Admittedly it doesn't say why our "arrow" is the length it is, but he admits as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom