• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Roadmap

Mikey Jr.

Maybe a bit offtopic, but what holds back dice from putting 64 players in a match in bf3? Was it a hardware issue or a network issue? Can that be solved with the ps4?

jaosobno

if microsoft and sony launch with the same price at the same time, sony will probably sell faster.

Like Shayan said, it depends on the market.

I doubt that Sony will reclaim USA any time soon (if ever), but Europe (except UK), Asia and rest of the world are theirs.

Judging by the present gen where Sony was 1 year LTTP and wanted $100 more per console and still managed to best Microsoft, it's logical to assume that (given very close release date for both consoles) they will probably lead from the very start in worldwide sales.

AkIRA_22

Publishers in general see launch window as the time to launch new IPs and take creative risks. The likes of Ubisoft have said as much, and history has proven consumers are more responsive to quality new IPs in a launch window. Even relatively average ones like Motorstorm, and Resistance became multi million sellers

I'd say that's in accurate at best. the PS3 and 360 launches had a total of 4 new IPs out of nearly 40 games. The only console that had a bunch of new games was the Wii and that was because of the control and that 3rd parties weren't releasing mainstay franchises on it, or ever. Wii U was full of existing games ported to it, even Nintendo was rehashing existing games. Zombi U... one (I'll give you that Ubisoft have put one new game out at the launch of the last two Nintendo consoles), the others were smaller downloadables, hardly system sellers. So I guess the publishers like to say that launches are good times for new IP, but they sure as hell don't do it.

Add to that the stakes are even higher now, billions of dollars are on the line. Sony sure as hell would like to have some reasons for people to buy the PS4 considering the ground they lost to MS, particularly in North America. You will see the absolute bread and butter of a console launch, Madden, FIFA, Need for Speed, wouldn't be a PS launch without a Ridge Racer (probably unlikely considering the state that franchise is in) NBA 2K14 etc. There are a few Sony studios who haven't released a game in nearly 2 years. There was next to no 1st party at the last E3 other than Last of Us and Wonder book. you have THE uncharted team at Naughty Dog doing something. And if Sony are stumping up the money my bet is something tried and true.

I'm expecting there will be a couple new games from the 3rd parties at best, 313 or watch dog, something that may have even been bumped to next gen. I expect there to be about 3-4 new IPs out of around 20 or so games, hardly the new IP smorgasbord mentioned earlier.

Binabik15

In USA, i think x720 will still outsell PS4

In Europe and Asia, just like ps3 , ps4 will outsell x720

USA: Sweet, monthly payment for more stuff! Just give me that Xbox and charge my CC for years to come!

Europe: OMG free oline. FREE STUFF ROCKS! Give me all your PS4s, but maybe throw in something extra for me? Haggling is legal here, yo.

Ashes

Banned
Kinda hard to say without the actual consoles being announced. Still, if you want to play forecaster, arguably the wii u will come good and then be a sales monster. You know, what with, reading trends from this passing generation.

Maybe a bit offtopic, but what holds back dice from putting 64 players in a match in bf3? Was it a hardware issue or a network issue? Can that be solved with the ps4?

Nothing, it's just that it would severely hamper the visual experience. Battlefield 2 64 players matches ran on PS3/X360 spec hardware.

What I wonder is if the VGLeaks rumour is true and the PS4 has a Tahiti based GPU at 800MHz why is it so slow when it comes to the (often useless) Flops?

A HD7950 with 800MHz gets about 2.8TFlops and is Tahiti based with 3GB GDDR5. I thought with some GCN2 features and console optimization the PS4 GPU should be more powerfull unless it is trimmed for ultra low energy consumption.

thuway

What I wonder is if the VGLeaks rumour is true and the PS4 has a Tahiti based GPU at 800MHz why is it so slow when it comes to the (often useless) Flops?

A HD7950 with 800MHz gets about 2.8TFlops and is Tahiti based with 3GB GDDR5. I thought with some GCN2 features and console optimization the PS4 GPU should be more powerfull unless it is trimmed for ultra low energy consumption.

1. Heat
2. I think the website has miswritten. It's meant to write Pitcairn.
3. 1.84 TF is very close to the magical 2.5 TF number. It is 75% of the way there. We should be happy.

Basically it all has to fit in 200 watts or less.

A 7850 class is great in a console. The best that could really be hoped. And it will run mind boggling games built for it.

Shayan

Banned

which will be a big blunder!!!

I think SONY arent getting it. PS4 is something that is being anticipated by Hardcore audience , who want to be wowed by its power. If SONY are running for casuals , they are making a big mistake. Nintendo has casuals this gen and would likely have them next gen too

All SONY needs is a very powerful HW and concurrent launch with X720. They arent coming up with a new media drive? the RAM prices are very manageable. They just need a powerful CPU and GPU for jawdropping games . I hope they get this message right

thuway

I think SONY arent getting it. PS4 is something that is being anticipated by Hardcore audience , who want to be wowed by its power. If SONY are running for casuals , they are making a big mistake. Nintendo has casuals this gen and would likely have them next gen too

All SONY needs is a very powerful HW and concurrent launch with X720. They arent coming up with a new media drive? the RAM prices are very manageable. They just need a powerful CPU and GPU for jawdropping games . I hope they get this message right

Hello Junior,

I don't know if you follow stocks but currently- THQ is dead, EA is losing money hand over fist, Sony is in the largest financial pit they've ever been, and Windows 8 is anticipating a lukewarm success.

The entire industry needs to profit. This consoles we are speaking of are 10X PS3. The RAM used inside of the machine is 10 watts per GB, hot, and expensive. You should invest in a PC if you think either Sony or Microsoft are willing to drop a couple GTX 680s into their platforms.

Ashes

Banned
Well if heat is an issue why not lower the clock rate - this is what I am wondering about. Why have both cards the same clock frequency (800MHz) but one performs (the 7850) significantly better. The 7850 uses 130W with GDDR5, so the to fit the 200W envelope the PS4 could use 70W for CPU, Bluray drive, misc, ... that doesn't sound to far off I think?

So basicly:

PS4 GPU: 800MHz (Pitcairn/Tahiti?), no RAM, 1.84TFlops and xxx Watt
HD7850: 800MHz (Tahiti), 3GB GDDR5, 2.8TFlops and 130 Watt

Pull the GDDR5 from the 7850 and you have a card with 100W 30% faster than the PS4 GPU...

Where did you get that info?

That sounds as good as 7950

PaulLFC

Look at the PS3 - is that a "casual" console? No, but it has some casual games. Same with PS2 (eyetoy, Buzz, etc). The power comment isn't true outside of a small proportion of gamers. Sure, I'd like it to be powerful. PS1 and PS2 however weren't the most powerful consoles of their generation and look how that worked out - very well for Sony, and nobody went "damn I wish the PS2 had been more powerful" - it was enough.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Well if heat is an issue why not lower the clock rate - this is what I am wondering about. Why have both cards the same clock frequency (800MHz) but one performs (the 7850) significantly better. The 7850 uses 130W with GDDR5, so the to fit the 200W envelope the PS4 could use 70W for CPU, Bluray drive, misc, ... that doesn't sound to far off I think?

So basicly:

PS4 GPU: 800MHz (Pitcairn/Tahiti?), no RAM, 1.84TFlops and xxx Watt
HD7850: 800MHz (Tahiti), 3GB GDDR5, 2.8TFlops and 130 Watt

Pull the GDDR5 from the 7850 and you have a card with 100W 30% faster than the PS4 GPU...

I think you are looking at the 7950 going by those specs. The 7950 pulls up to 200W on its own.

The rumoured Orbis GPU is more powerful than the 7850.

Shayan

Banned
Look at the PS3 - is that a "casual" console? No, but it has some casual games. Same with PS2 (eyetoy, Buzz, etc). The power comment isn't true outside of a small proportion of gamers. Sure, I'd like it to be powerful. PS1 and PS2 however weren't the most powerful consoles of their generation and look how that worked out - very well for Sony, and nobody went "damn I wish the PS2 had been more powerful" - it was enough.

people's perception about ps products have changed over time. During the ps1/2 era they had the casual crowd . Now by making a low power consuming console, there is no guarantee that they will win back the casuals. However, there is a huge risk that they would annihilate their existing fanbase

Yes sorry I switched to the wrong line while looking up the specifications for both cards. I guess 1.84TFlops + hopefully some GCN2 (if there are) features + console specific customizations at 130W or less will deliever something great.

Ashes

Banned
*nods in agreement*

Are we sure it's an APU? or are Sony going for a System on Chip design like the rest of the industry?

AMD Apu's tend to like staying within the 100w. Anywhere in the region of 150w might have been cool.

Except of course that the cumulation of power saving tricks [e.g. the oft discussed stacking or 2.5d], maybe it'll all come good in the end.

PaulLFC

people's perception about ps products have changed over time. During the ps1/2 era they had the casual crowd . Now by making a low power consuming console, there is no guarantee that they will win back the casuals. However, there is a huge risk that they would annihilate their existing fanbase
How? You've said this multiple times now and not provided any reasons as to why you think gamers are suddenly going to abandon the PS4 in droves.

thuway

This might help- both are Pitcairn. It fits in line with the projection that Sony will go for a 1.84 TF GPU, attached to a SoC with 4 Steamroller Cores (or 8 Jaguar depending on who you talk to). Increasing the RAM will add an extra 20 watts to the unit. This will probably be similar in size to launch PS3.

7800.jpg

The one thing you're right about is that killer games shift systems. So why do none of you have faith in Sony to make killer games if they're not part of an older IP such as Gran Turismo, Uncharter, or Killzone? Like you said, if the game is good enough, it will sell.

who even said that they don't trust sony to create new ips? some ips will be abandoned, others will not because they have potential.

I sincerely hope we get to test out that theory later this year. It will be...interesting.

yeah, we know you like microsoft, we get it from your posts.

thuway

Do you realize we are talking about a box as large as the original PS3? That is what "low powered' means. Don't blame Sony. Blame AMD/NVidia who chose to make larger, hotter GPUs instead of redesigned architectures.

Last time I checked reliability on a launch PS3 was atrocious. The bigger you are, the more headaches you have with reliability as well. This will give you Watch_Dogs, Star Wars 1313, and Agnis Philosophy. You might need to leave gaming for a few years.

Ashes

Banned
This might help- both are Pitcairn. It fits in line with the projection that Sony will go for a 1.84 TF GPU, attached to a SoC with 4 Steamroller Cores (or 8 Jaguar depending on who you talk to). Increasing the RAM will add an extra 20 watts to the unit. This will probably be similar in size to launch PS3.

7800.jpg

Also this:

Note these are theoretical peaks [the tf]. A generational upgrade with lower theoretical peaks [but greater efficiency] may actually achieve similar results.

I'd say that's in accurate at best. the PS3 and 360 launches had a total of 4 new IPs out of nearly 40 games. The only console that had a bunch of new games was the Wii and that was because of the control and that 3rd parties weren't releasing mainstay franchises on it, or ever. Wii U was full of existing games ported to it, even Nintendo was rehashing existing games. Zombi U... one (I'll give you that Ubisoft have put one new game out at the launch of the last two Nintendo consoles), the others were smaller downloadables, hardly system sellers. So I guess the publishers like to say that launches are good times for new IP, but they sure as hell don't do it.

Add to that the stakes are even higher now, billions of dollars are on the line. Sony sure as hell would like to have some reasons for people to buy the PS4 considering the ground they lost to MS, particularly in North America. You will see the absolute bread and butter of a console launch, Madden, FIFA, Need for Speed, wouldn't be a PS launch without a Ridge Racer (probably unlikely considering the state that franchise is in) NBA 2K14 etc. There are a few Sony studios who haven't released a game in nearly 2 years. There was next to no 1st party at the last E3 other than Last of Us and Wonder book. you have THE uncharted team at Naughty Dog doing something. And if Sony are stumping up the money my bet is something tried and true.

I'm expecting there will be a couple new games from the 3rd parties at best, 313 or watch dog, something that may have even been bumped to next gen. I expect there to be about 3-4 new IPs out of around 20 or so games, hardly the new IP smorgasbord mentioned earlier.
Nobody said anything about launch day, getting a game out on launch day is a difficult proposition. A lot of the games end up being ports of last gen games or PC games, only because that's what the developers and publishers had time to get out. Launch window is an entirely different proposition. Last gen Sony had all of their developers but Santa Monica and Guerrilla (who had made late gen new IPs) developing a new IP for the current generation. Within the first 24 months of the consoles life it had Resistance, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, inFamous, LittleBigPlanet, Folklore released or at east in development. even some unfortunate flops like Lair and White Knight Chronicles can be accounted for amongst the ambitious drive for new IP. Microsoft pushed new IPs like Kameo, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Viva Piñata - third parties early in the gen such as Ubisoft were pioneering Assassins Creed, Capcom was driving Dead Rising, EA was betting on Crysis. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't sequels - there are still fuckton a of them - but even the sequels are more ambitious. There is a recognition that gamers are ready to latch on to new ideas in the early part of the generation - it happened with new IP like Halo (the classic example), Assassins Creed, Gearsand so forth but it also happened to existing IP that tried new and interesting things that changed the formula of their franchise like GTA3 and COD4. Developers are more experimental and publishers want to have that IP that resonates throughout the generation as a defining game.

Kosma

Banned
Has this been posted anywhere?

AMD has filed (and been granted) a request for immediate injunctive relief against multiple former employees that it alleges stole thousands of confidential documents. Named in the complaint are Robert Feldstein, Manoo Desai, Nicholas Kociuk, and Richard Hagen. All four left AMD to work at Nvidia in the past year. The loss of Feldstein was particularly noteworthy, as he’d been the head of AMD’s console initiatives for years. Feldstein was behind the work that landed AMD the Wii U, PS4, and Xbox Durango. He also worked closely with Microsoft during the Xbox 360′s development cycle and brought that contract to ATI prior to AMD’s acquisition.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...t-former-employees-for-alleged-document-theft

Ashes

Banned

thuway

I think if the two consoles are similar enough, people will buy an upgrade to their favoured console for a variety of reasons such as psn+/xblive; ds4/xb3 controller and of course games..

Yes.

Honestly, most people will be hard pressed to spot differences between the two units. The real stars will be first party. Microsoft has the now acclaimed 343 Industries, Black Tusk Studios, Turn 10, and whatever hardcore game Rare is cooking up.

We all know Sony's pedigree for pushing the visual envelope. I am very happy that both these machines are fundamentally different and will have different sets of stregnths. One thing is for sure, we should see more 60 FPS next-gen with GDDR5.

EvB

And not only that, you aren't going to want to waste a AAA multi million selling franchise when there are only a couple of million of pieces of hardware out there are you.

You are better off making something riskier, that will probably sell OK bearing in mind the number of users and hoping that you have an even better seller on your hands when you make it's sequel.

This is exactly what Sony have always done, they will pump out new IPs left right and centre, not because they are awesome and care about gamers, but because they want to cast their net wide and increase their chances of a hit franchise. This is also why Sony will notoriously drop an IP/peripheral like a sack of shit if it hasn't hit it's targets.

Next gen I believe we will see more and more of this approach and I will be very surprised if we see any big hitters return for day one, Nintendo have done exactly this, holding back some of their biggest selling titles until their machines have inevitably sold more units.

Polo67

It happened during the PS2 days, and Sony fans were twice as bad as Nintendo fans were this gen.

Oh trust me I was there. And I can tell you they will be back in full force this year . Hell I use to be a Sony Fanboy but Microsoft's software pedigree is winning me over. I'm betting their OS for the 720 is going to be spectacular.

Ashes

Banned
Honestly, most people will be hard pressed to spot differences between the two units. The real stars will be first party. Microsoft has the now acclaimed 343 Industries, Black Tusk Studios, Turn 10, and whatever hardcore game Rare is cooking up.

We all know Sony's pedigree for pushing the visual envelope. I am very happy that both these machines are fundamentally different and will have different sets of stregnths. One thing is for sure, we should see more 60 FPS next-gen with GDDR5.

I thought we weren't fully sure about GDDR5? Meaning we were only relatively sure that it will be an GDDR5 equivalent?

Having said that, I wonder whether Sony will have flash storage, and whether developers will use that in a ready boost ram sort of way...

Shikoro

It would be like hell freezing over if we see a Sony console leading the NPD. I can see
It now crashing GAF severs

GAF headquartered in severs confirmed?
Sorry...

But I still can't believe that people are doubting the power of these systems. They will deliver. And you will be picking up your jaws off the floor.

thuway

I thought we weren't fully sure about GDDR5? Meaning we were only relatively sure that it will be an GDDR5 equivalent?

Having said that, I wonder whether Sony will have flash storage, and whether developers will use that in a ready boost ram sort of way...

I say GDDR5 because it feels a lot easier than saying 192 GB/S (too much punctuation for a cell phone :) ). 192 GB/S bandwith is fast- REALLY fast.

Ashes

Banned
I say GDDR5 because it feels a lot easier than saying 192 GB/S (too much punctuation for a cell phone :) ). 192 GB/S bandwith is fast- REALLY fast.

Hmm...

I wonder what will happen to Rambus now... Last I heard the ps3 was their life blood.

i-Lo

1. Heat
2. I think the website has miswritten. It's meant to write Pitcairn.
3. 1.84 TF is very close to the magical 2.5 TF number. It is 75% of the way there. We should be happy.

True but objectively 75% != 76/77/81...100%.

In a closed system where games will be made to specs and defined parameters like framerate and resolution, what'd be efficiency gain?

To be quite honest, the custom silicon is just that- CUSTOM. You have to understand, peak FLOPS are not the only determinant on performance. GAF has been fixated with that number since the beginning. I don't know about this bitter thing, but I do know it will have DSPs, large cache's, and ED RAM.

The machine will be 1.28 TF with 8 GB DDR3/4 alongside ED RAM, like we've mentioned previously over and over and over again.

It won't be long till someone leaks it all.

PS4 is 1.84 TF, 4 GB 192 GB/S RAM, alongside 4 steamroller cores. These are your next-gen systems. Derive what you can and will.

DSPs will probably be in the PS4 as well.

Maasaki Tsuruta said this in this interview.

http://eandt.theiet.org/magazine/2011/12/maasaki-tsu-interview.cfm

“We are looking at an architecture where the bulk of processing will still sit on the main board, with CPU and graphics added to by more digital signal processing and some configurable logic.”

Is configurable logic FPGA?

Top Bottom