• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Also, major suggestion for these guys:

Number the catalogue, and put the numbers on the spine -- preferably separate per platform!

They are doing that actually! Breach and Clear is #1.
I'm not sure if they separate it by platform, but I hope so too.

Limited Run Games ‏@LimitedRunGames 4h4 hours ago
Every game we release is part of the Limited Run collection. Try and collect the whole set! Breach & Clear is #1.

Wereroku

Nice small print run requirements mean that when Vic moves onto Vita/PS4 he will have an easier time getting physical runs done.

Is this one of those deals where you're going to have to be on the website at midnight constantly clicking your order through?

vid

While they're not quite the same (USB drive and Steam key with goodies vs. Vita card/PS4 disc), this reminds me a bit of IndieBox. Loving this initiative of digital only games getting nice boxed releases.

Is this one of those deals where you're going to have to be on the website at midnight constantly clicking your order through?

I'm guessing they'll set things up like Gaijinworks does and have a preorder phase where you can reserve a copy which will help them to decide how many copies to make. I'm guessing after that phase, things will sell out quickly - Retro City Rampage sold out in like a day and is already noticeably more expensive second-hand than the original price.

Dominator

No interest in Breach and Clear, but I kind of just want it for the sake of company doing this lol

But I think they'll sell out, so no point for this one.

My eyes will be on the look out for what they do in the future.

emb

I love it! Digital games often seem more appealing to me, but I'm not interested in them because of the distribution format. Sounds like these guys should be opening up several new games for me. :D

Don't know about this first title, but I'll definitely try to keep an eye on the company and this initiative.

Even knowing nothing about Breach and Clear, the price sounds solid enough to give it a shot maybe.

Oh, I just saw this, the price and shipping costs for this particular title:

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/651826321165787137
Limited Run Games ‏@LimitedRunGames 4h4 hours ago
@LastRealGamer $24.99 + $3.99 for domestic shipping. International shipping varies. $9 for Canada/Mexico, $12 elsewhere.

giphy.gif

Screw Fangamer with their $40 dollars one month late international shipping.

I am so into this. I know their focus is probably only on indie games but it'd be cool if they could release some digital only localized Japanese games as well. Especially for the Vita.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I would guess that since Breach and Clear has almost no positive reactions from anyone and that they made 1500 copies to scam collectors that Sony's minimum print run for Vita is...1500 copies.

Takao

Banned
I am so into this. I know their focus is probably only on indie games but it'd be cool if they could release some digital only localized Japanese games as well. Especially for the Vita.

They said they want to do some bigger games too, but they need to prove the business model first.

hawk2025

I would guess that since Breach and Clear has almost no positive reactions from anyone and that they made 1500 copies to scam collectors that Sony's minimum print run for Vita is...1500 copies.

Or you can not have a shitty attitude and actually read the post on why they started with Breach and Clear.

If there was a physical edition of Transistor on PS4 I would buy so quick. So many digital only games that would be great to own physically.

emb

Here's the reason for Breach & Clear being the first:
The Article said:
Breach & Clear was the first game Mighty Rabbit Studios (parent company to Limited Run Games) shipped on an "official" console or handheld. Naturally, it made sense that we should take a gamble on it and make it our first physical release. The physical release of the game ended up giving us more time to clean up the game, fix bugs, and adjust based on reviews of the digital version, so that was a nice bonus. Really, if we could have published any game in the world to launch Limited Run Games with we'd probably have picked something else that would have created more buzz. The problem with that is why would any other developers trust us before we had our own physical release? Breach & Clear is being utilized as a test run to show other developers that we can do this, and we can do it right. It's also going to hopefully show that people are still hungry for physical Vita releases, which seem to really be drying up recently.

Basically, seems like:
1. The company that's getting into publishing is starting with their own game
2. It's sort of a test run

Leynos

I am not interested in Breach & Clear, but I do love physical games. I will definitely be keeping an eye on Limited Run Games.

This is a cool idea. There's definitely a market for it if GAF opinion is anything to go by. I may even dip in myself depending on the game.

I'd be very interested in some of the following games on Vita:

VVVVVV
Mutant Mudds
Xeodrifter
Steamworld Dig
Hatoful Boyfriend
Probably others I'm forgetting.

*whistles* :)
And Cosmic Star Heroine

Just be neat to have a physical collection of some of my favorite Indie games (Tho I played them all besides Hatoful on 3DS, still the added trophies would make me 100% them)

Just need a good enough headstart so I can save money. Do we know how much they'd be? I'd assume the standard retail $40 but I think Hotline Miami was higher. Also even if one of my wants come out, it would probably sell out before I got to order. D:

Edit: Woah, $30 for the first game. I would without a doubt get atleast VVVVVV, Mutant Mudds, or Xeodrifter for $30.

Just need a good enough headstart so I can save money. Do we know how much they'd be? I'd assume the standard retail $40 but I think Hotline Miami was higher. Also even if one of my wants come out, it would probably sell out before I got to order. D:

The majority of the games are supposed to be $24.99

And I think people overestimate the demand, I doubt they'll be sold out as fast as some here think

Gameboy415

This is a really great idea and I'm looking forward to buying whatever games they're able to release in the future! :D

fernoca

Glad everyone is excited!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!
I'm making a cake tomorrow, but is blue. Was thinking vanilla frosting would be a good fit, any suggestions? Want to make it...different.

:p
Great concept. Hopefully thinkgs work out well. Would love it expanded across more platforms.

I'm loving that $12 international shipping. Can you confirm if it has a tracking code with it?

I can't confirm if international shipping will just yet, it may depend on the country.

I'm making a cake tomorrow, but is blue. Was thinking vanilla frosting would be a good fit, any suggestions? Want to make it...different.

:p
Great concept. Hopefully thinkgs work out well. Would love it expanded across more platforms.

I always liked butter creme frosting personally. Or maybe a cream cheese frosting! Now I want cake...

Never would I have bought Breach and Clear, but since there's only 1500....

Some other cool ones would be Velocity, Resogun, Axiom Verge.

Edit: Since B&C is going physical, maybe add a platinum? Nudge nudge.

I love the idea but I'm kind of scared of the tiny print runs. Is it going to be limited to one per customer or are they going to make it so some guy can swoop in and take 50 copies for himself for reselling?

I love the idea but I'm kind of scared of the tiny print runs. Is it going to be limited to one per customer or are they going to make it so some guy can swoop in and take 50 copies for himself for reselling?

We want to make it as fair as possible. We will have restrictions in place so that everyone has a chance to get one. Future games may have larger print runs. :)

autoduelist

wtf?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266130/
85% positive reviews on Steam

and "scam collectors"? are you serious?

It saddens me that people [cough] will come into threads like this where someone is printing physical for those that love it and try to shit it up.

Anyway, unlike Man God, who consistently trash talks games games he hasn't played... I've actually played B&C... a lot. I've 5 starred most missions... not just once, but twice, first on Steam and then on Vita. And it's fun. Perfect? Nope. Slightly mobile and/or budget feeling at times? A little [maybe even more than a little]. Buggy? A couple crashes here and there [though it sounds like there will be a patch, which is nice). But it's fun. Fun enough that I've bought and played it twice, at least.

I've reviewed it in the PSN/Vita thread before, but basically it's a realistic-skinned Frozen Synapse with light RPG elements (you can pick classes each with a diverse skill set, level up your squad to lvl 30, put points in various stats, buy new weapons/gear.

Combat is turn based like FS is (all units move at once), though it's missing some basic features that FS and Door Kickers have (you can't sync units on a door easily, for example - units will move along the waypoints you set continuously with no way to easily time stacking them). But if you're into those games, and are looking to scratch that same itch, this is still worth a shot. Tons of content... if I remember correctly, there are 5 'areas' (Germany, Columbia, etc) each with... 5 maps I think. Each map has 3 different types of missions and difficultly ranges from easy to very, very difficult.

The game isn't perfect, and its brethren (Frozen Synapse and Door Kickers, specifically) are technically better games. But that doesn't mean this one isn't fun if you're into the genre and don't mind forgiving some of it's shortcomings.

For playing purposes, I'd recommend just getting it digitally. For collecting, well, obviously, that's why people are in this thread.

It saddens me that people [cough] will come into threads like this where someone is printing physical for those that love it and try to shit it up.

Anyway, unlike Man God, who consistently trash talks games games he hasn't played... I've actually played B&C... a lot. I've 5 starred most missions... not just once, but twice, first on Steam and then on Vita. And it's fun. Perfect? Nope. Slightly mobile and/or budget feeling at times? A little [maybe even more than a little]. Buggy? A couple crashes here and there [though it sounds like there will be a patch, which is nice). But it's fun. Fun enough that I've bought and played it twice, at least.

I've reviewed it in the PSN/Vita thread before, but basically it's a realistic-skinned Frozen Synapse with light RPG elements (you can pick classes each with a diverse skill set, level up your squad to lvl 30, put points in various stats, buy new weapons/gear.

Combat is turn based like FS is (all units move at once), though it's missing some basic features that FS and Door Kickers have (you can't sync units on a door easily, for example - units will move along the waypoints you set continuously with no way to easily time stacking them). But if you're into those games, and are looking to scratch that same itch, this is still worth a shot. Tons of content... if I remember correctly, there are 5 'areas' (Germany, Columbia, etc) each with... 5 maps I think. Each map has 3 different types of missions and difficultly ranges from easy to very, very difficult.

The game isn't perfect, and it's brethren (Frozen Synapse and Door Kickers, specifically) are technically better games. But that doesn't mean this one isn't fun if you're into the genre and don't mind forgiving some of it's shortcomings.

For playing purposes, I'd recommend just getting it digitally. For collecting, well, obviously, that's why people are in this thread.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game despite finding some shortcomings!

Shizuka

One thing, which can be both a good or bad thing, depending on the point of view, is the huge presence of japanese games on the Vita. Are you willing to deal with overseas publishers that published their games DD-only in the West, like Agatsuma with Sayonara Umihara Kawase Plus?

It's got a much lower rating on metacritic for the Vita version.

Quite honestly we made some really stupid decisions regarding text size that really hurt our review scores. Those issues are significantly alleviated in the physical version. We're not trying to sell snake oil here - Breach & Clear is a proof of concept for Limited Run. If it sells out, we'll have the numbers we need to get other developers excited and on board. The print run is actually below Sony's minimum order quantity for Vita. We pushed for it to be that low because we understand the game isn't for everyone.

We actually don't even really make much from the game. We built it for our friends at Gun Media as a work for hire project. It's done really well for them and we're proud of what we built but we personally see very, very, insignificant returns on the game. We would be absolutely failing at scamming here if that was our intent because we stand to gain very little from this release outside of credibility - and if we were out to scam people we wouldn't really get much of that, would we? :)

We want Limited Run Games to be a thing until physical media dies. This is not a flash in the pan thing for us. We love physical games and want to help make more of them a reality.

Thanks for the support everyone!

One thing, which can be both a good or bad thing, depending on the point of view, is the huge presence of japanese games on the Vita. Are you willing to deal with overseas publishers that published their games DD-only in the West, like Agatsuma with Sayonara Umihara Kawase Plus?

Great question! As we are huge fans of Japanese games, we would love to publish some! It's something we have discussed for the future and is a possibility.

Hopefully one day we can! :D

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
CSH would be neat, but I'm getting the PC version so I'd rather not have a physical copy.

Off the top of my head the only game I'd want this for is FAST Racing Neo but that's a Wii U game so it probably isn't happening. Can't think of any other console/portable-exclusive, digital-only games I want.

That said, I really like the idea behind this. Much prefer physical games on consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom