• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is already the best selling game of 2017 on Amazon

Nesther

I'm super surprised. I'm never going to buy it because getting 4 controllers is too much money when I already have it for WiiU. Is it mainly new people buying it?

Nah double dipped hard. Even got a 2nd pair of Joy-cons and a Pro controller.

farisr

Strangest thing is Canada imo: it's only eighth there, below preorders for Super Mario Odyssey.
It's not so strange to me. I had noticed the Wii U was actually fairly common around here, especially as a second console. It's stuff like this that kind of reinstates my assumption that the percentage of Canadian Nintendo Fans who owned a Wii U, is probably quite a bit higher than the percentage of US Nintendo Fans who owned a Wii U and many of them didn't feel the need to buy MK8 again (still doing really well, but I mean it's sold more than Zelda in the US already, whereas both versions of Zelda are at the top of the Canadian chart).

You are correct.
When the 1st mainline Pokemon comes out... Oh shit...

You have no idea. I'm cool with my local Gamestop manager and he said everytime someone comes in asking about The Switch one of the first things they asks for is if he heard anything about a Pokémon game for the Switch. They would ask for rumors, his take on what Nintendo might do for Pokémon on the Switch, or flat out ask to preorder something that doesn't exists (Pokémon Switch)

To give alittle context he's been telling for a over a year before the Switch got released that if you can't shoot it, race it, or its football it probably won't sell out his store location. Since the Switch he's seen alot of variety customers.

Concerning Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and this same store.

He told me his store sold all 48 Switch console his store received in and he got exactly 30 preorders for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and he had 9 people walk in without preorders to buy a copy. He's saying this version of the game is going to be big. (For his store atleast)

Ended up getting a credit and cancelling my order and just getting the digital version from Amazon. Wish that they offered the same prime discounts on digital as they do for physical.

Might end up picking up a physical copy later on down the line.

RRockman

Banned
If I didn't any know better, I'd had thought crow was quite a delicacy around these parts, where Switch is concerned.

Such a strange, visually unappetizing dish being ordered & served so frequently...

Yeah, when the're not too busy moving the goalposts.

You have no idea. I'm cool with my local Gamestop manager and he said everytime someone comes in asking about The Switch one of the first things they asks for is if he heard anything about a Pokémon game for the Switch. They would ask for rumors, his take on what Nintendo might do for Pokémon on the Switch, or flat out ask to preorder something that doesn't exists (Pokémon Switch)

To give alittle context he's been telling for a over a year before the Switch got released that if you can't shoot it, race it, or its football it probably won't sell out his store location. Since the Switch he's seen alot of variety customers.

Concerning Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and this same store.

He told me his store sold all 48 Switch console his store received in and he got exactly 30 preorders for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and he had 9 people walk in without preorders to buy a copy. He's saying this version of the game is going to be big. (For his store atleast)

🤔

Lexxism

I guess, but things are getting zanier. The other day I saw people arguing that Splatoon 2 isn't a sequel and now this? War never changes indeed.
They even argued that the reason it is selling because they don't have anything else to buy. They are always salty lol

phanphare

Banned
Why is Nintendo not advertising the hell out of HD Rumble in this game?

I was on the fence about the game because I had all DLC and played a lot of online so I didn't know if I wanted to double dip. I finally gave in...

Holy shit. HD Rumble in this instantly made this the best racing game ever for me.

Seriously guys. If you haven't already, take the joy con out of the grip and hold them bare (no strap) one in each hand. That's next gen.

damn right

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Honestly? This is kind of absurd. I thought it'd do well, but not this well. Nowhere even close to this well.

But it's cool. I'm happy to see Nintendo doing well, and I love the Switch.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

I was on the fence about the game because I had all DLC and played a lot of online so I didn't know if I wanted to double dip. I finally gave in...

Holy shit. HD Rumble in this instantly made this the best racing game ever for me.

Seriously guys. If you haven't already, take the joy con out of the grip and hold them bare (no strap) one in each hand. That's next gen.
Welp, if I didn't already decide to buy this digitally(since I own this on Wii u physically) this would have gotten me to

Koppai

I look forward to playing this game when I can get the switch in store (in 2018).

On one hand, I am happy for Nintendo, on the other, I am kind of sad my prediction of the switch being impossible to find is becoming true since I kind of want one now with Mario Kart 8 out xD
Its not impossible to find. Every store had it today...

Malus

Hope its as good with the pro controller.

Famassu

Mario Kart 8 sold relatively well on Wii U but considering the kind of sales numbers Mario Kart has done on non-failure platforms, it was obvious the (arguably) all-time best or at least Top 3 Mario Kart has far more sales potential on a more successful platform than it could ever reach on a sales flop like Wii U.

Falchion

There's no positive outcome for Nintendo, is there?

MK8 sells poorly: "Psh, see fanboys? Nintendoomed!"

MK8 has record breaking sales: "Switch owners thirsty much?"

The cycle continues!

I'm a thirsty Switch owner. I'm just saying that people are really craving another AAA title since there's really only 1 on the platform right now.

BriGuy

I'm a thirsty Switch owner. I'm just saying that people are really craving another AAA title since there's really only 1 on the platform right now.
Add me to the list. I passed on the DLC the first time so I've got that to look forward to at least, but a large part of my reason for getting this (again) is that I want more games to play on the Switch. Mine's been dormant most of this month due to Zelda fatigue, but I really like the system and want an excuse to use it again.

Cyanity

Banned
going out to pick up a full price copy and (hopefully) a second set of joycons because of this thread. And yea, I own MK8 on Wii U, with all the extra controllers and accessories.

Hattori

Banned
Add me to the list. I passed on the DLC the first time so I've got that to look forward to at least, but a large part of my reason for getting this (again) is that I want more games to play on the Switch. Mine's been dormant most of this month due to Zelda fatigue, but I really like the system and want an excuse to use it again.
check the eShop, bunch of great games

Yukinari

Its astonishing how amazon continues to let me down even when preordering a bog standard common copy of a video game.

If it werent for the discount and customer service id just cancel prime. Can i ask them to get compensation for getting my game late or what?

Edit: They just gave me a free month of prime, ill take it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
this is what a reheated remaster of a game years old can do for a new platform starving for core games.

Nintendo would be utter fools to waste this opportunity, they should be throwing out core oriented software like free confetti at a clown festival

Word of mouth of this game is going to be insane thanks to the portability aspect of the Switch... And Switch popularity is going to explode any time soon.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
this is what a reheated remaster of a game years old can do for a new platform starving for core games.

Nintendo would be utter fools to waste this opportunity, they should be throwing out core oriented software like free confetti at a clown festival
Nah I'm pretty it's entirely down to Mario Kart. Not any old game can do this. This was the Wii u's top sellers.

Lo-Volt

I don't actually know why I'm surprised by that! By all accounts, it was a great video game that more people would have wanted to play, but released for a console that people just didn't buy into. Now that's changed. If anything, this is a better example of a so called HD remaster but a lot of others we've seen lately. Here's a great video game you likely would have missed, and re-released while the console still feels fresh and new. And Nintendo gets to use it as an oasis during the first year drought.

Top Bottom