• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Week 8 |OT| Top 25 Coug'd it. Or is it Clemsoning?

ryseing

xfdxMh8.jpg

The sentiment of every non-Tennessee fan.

AP Poll said:
1) Alabama
2) {Redacted}
3) Georgia
4) Texas Christian
5) Wisconsin
6) Ohio State
7) Clemson
8) Miami
9) Oklahoma
10) Oklahoma State
11) Southern Cal
12) Washington
13) Notre Dame
14) Virginia Tech
15) Washington State
16) South Florida/NC State
18) Michigan State
19) Michigan
20) Central Florida
21) Auburn
22) Stanford
23) West Virginia
24) LSU
25) Memphis

Week 8 Notable Games (All times in EST and all rankings AP)

Saturday, October 21

3:30 PM

Champions of Life @ #1 Alabama- Watch Butch get fired.
Syracuse @ #8 Miami
#20 Central Florida @ Navy

#19 Michigan @ #2 {Redacted}, 7:30 PM
#11 Southern Cal @ #13 Notre Dame, 7:30 PM

#PAC12ANDMWCAFTERDARK

Wyoming @ Boise State, 10:15 PM
Fresno State @ San Diego State, 10:30 PM
Colorado @ #15 Wazzu, 10:45 PM

Pick'em Stuff:

Pick 'em stuff

Link to last week's results:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IiwINgTA_bOkgX3y-IC6um9cfmMFOkJZWiNXOrYLWSA/edit?usp=sharing

Link to current standings(you care about the Score column):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14oB6wMtBN3TgAWnUzysoWqpmSlLGVY5XhU5MAluLv-U/edit?usp=sharing

This week's games:
LOU@FSU
BC@UVA
OKST@TEX
ISU@TTU
IOWA@NW
MICH@PSU
ASU@UTAH
USC@ND
UK@MSST
LSU@MISS
TROY@GAST
UCF@NAVY

Link to form: https://goo.gl/forms/csohhQXZZLm4M8ne2

CFB-GAF's very own podcast: The Decided Schematic Advantage

Intros are back this week by request! This week we talk about the debacle in the Carrier Dome, Andrew eating Runza in Lincoln, Nebraska, the state of Washington falling flat it's face this weekend, Gus keeping his hand in Auburn's cookie jar, and more. Also, screw The Coin.

Subscribe here in iTunes or search for The Decided Schematic Advantage in your podcast app of choice. Send questions and comments to podcast@the-cog.com.

WE HAVE A DISCORD

Quote to reveal.

ryseing

Butch won't get fired after getting creamed by Alabama. Everyone gets
oatmeal
creamed by Alabama

I subscribe to the theory that Tennessee is waiting until after Bama to pull the trigger. Have Butch take the flak from the L and hope the interim can get bowl eligible.

Butch won't get fired after getting creamed by Alabama. Everyone gets
oatmeal
creamed by Alabama

Nigga, please. They're leaving him in place to hold the grenade. He's already fired.

He probably calling Hugh right now trying to find out what phone number he needs to dial up to get ousted before Saturday.

If the world was fair y'all would be sniffing the top 10 and at least be mentioned in Playoff talk. You would certainly be above your rivals.

World ain't fair. Certainly not the world of college football.

Mentioned in the playoffs for what? As an example of teams that don't qualify?

El_Chino

What National Championship team do you believe didn't deserve to make it to the championship game?

My vote goes to 2007 LSU.

Blows my mind they got elected to the championship game after losing to an unranked Arkansas team in Death Valley in over time the last week of the season, As well as losing to Kentucky in triple overtime.

What National Championship team do you believe didn't deserve to make it to the championship game?

My vote goes to 2007 LSU.

Blows my mind they got elected to the championship game after losing to an unranked Arkansas team in Death Valley in over time the last week of the season, As well as losing to Kentucky in triple overtime.

Feel like picking anyone in '07 is tricky given how much transpired that year. At the very least, you gotta offer up an alternative for that one.

Personally, Alabama in 2011. Were we, at worst, the second best team in the country that season? Absolutely. But given the results of the season, Okie State prolly should've got their shot. I'm glad they didn't, obviously, and I get the argument both ways.

El_Chino

Feel like picking anyone in '07 is tricky given how much transpired that year. At the very least, you gotta offer up an alternative for that one.

Personally, Alabama in 2011. Were we, at worst, the second best team in the country that season? Absolutely. But given the results of the season, Okie State prolly should've got their shot. I'm glad they didn't, obviously, and I get the argument both ways.
Mizzou should've gotten the nod over LSU that year point blank.

2011 Alabama was my second choice because no two teams from the same conference should ever be playing against each other for the championship. It also should've absolutely been Okie State.

ryseing

Mentioned in the playoffs for what? As an example of teams that don't qualify?

Crushed Memphis and Maryland. If they do the same @ Navy and to USF and of course go undefeated it's not a great resume but it's actually not half bad, especially considering the way UCF has been winning those games.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If the world was fair y'all would be sniffing the top 10 and at least be mentioned in Playoff talk. You would certainly be above your rivals.

World ain't fair. Certainly not the world of college football.

We played 1 game in the first month. I'm honestly surprised we're ranked this high at all.

The likes of UCF or USF will never have a chance at the CFB, the odds are just completely stacked against non power conference schools. Its fine though, Jan 1 bowl games are cool too

ryseing

We played 1 game in the first month. I'm honestly surprised we're ranked this high at all.

The likes of UCF or USF will never have a chance at the CFB, the odds are just completely stacked against non power conference schools. Its fine though, Jan 1 bowl games are cool too

You have to get incredibly lucky with your OOC games and then of course run the table.

It's why I'm in favor of expanding the Playoff to 8 and giving the G5 a guaranteed spot. Sure, there's some years where there wouldn't be a "deserving" team, but it's better than the current situation. May as well make the G5 an FCS equivalent if there's zero chance any of them can make the Playoff.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You have to get incredibly lucky with your OOC games and then of course run the table.

It's why I'm in favor of expanding the Playoff to 8 and giving the G5 a guaranteed spot. Sure, there's some years where there wouldn't be a "deserving" team, but it's better than the current situation. May as well make the G5 an FCS equivalent if there's zero chance any of them can make the Playoff.

I agree the best reason to expand playoffs to 8 is to give non power conference schools a shot. It'd be fun to see Alabama obliterate UCF in the 1st round.

Bowler

Michigan vs redacted should be a great game. Barkley will have to be on point if heisman will grace his kitchen table

Crushed Memphis and Maryland. If they do the same @ Navy and to USF and of course go undefeated it's not a great resume but it's actually not half bad, especially considering the way UCF has been winning those games.

Giving UCF any playoff consideration feels like a strong reach.

2011 Alabama was my second choice because no two teams from the same conference should ever be playing against each other for the championship. It also should've absolutely been Okie State.

Ehhhhhh.

Alabama a 35 point favorite? Vegas considers Tennessee no better than Bama’s yearly socon cupcake.

To be fair (which I hate being with Tennessee), Alabama will probably be favored over our annual cupcake by about 40 points at this point lmao

Ehhhhhh.

To be fair (which I hate being with Tennessee), Alabama will probably be favored over our annual cupcake by about 40 points at this point lmao

I would take the over against 10rc, and the under against the FCS cupcake. Why? It seems like FCS teams hang in with Bama for a while, and they actually score a time or two. Saban usually doesn't have much film to work with and scheme against FCS programs like he does for his SEC rivals

ryseing

Michigan vs redacted should be a great game. Barkley will have to be on point if heisman will grace his kitchen table

It's going to be a slog of a game. O'Korn sucks and Michigan's defense is good enough to make life really uncomfortable for the other side.

The spread is 10.5 which seems high to me since I'm not sure either team will score more than 20. I know Michigan won't.

I would take the over against 10rc, and the under against the FCS cupcake. Why? It seems like FCS teams hang in with Bama for a while, and they actually score a time or two. Saban usually doesn't have much film to work with and scheme against FCS programs like he does for his SEC rivals

Nah.

The team tends to stress working on their weaker areas and playing "fundamental football" when we play lesser teams. Plus our backups get in even quicker than usual (though this year, they've entered every game except FSU and A&M early in the 3Q). The idea that Saban watches less film of any team is hilarious lol

Karl2177

El_Chino

Ehhhhhh.

It's true. There's no reason for it.

Alabama didn't even get a chance to win their conference....

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Pick 'em stuff

Link to last week's results:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IiwINgTA_bOkgX3y-IC6um9cfmMFOkJZWiNXOrYLWSA/edit?usp=sharing

Link to current standings(you care about the Score column):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14oB6wMtBN3TgAWnUzysoWqpmSlLGVY5XhU5MAluLv-U/edit?usp=sharing

This week's games:
LOU@FSU
BC@UVA
OKST@TEX
ISU@TTU
IOWA@NW
MICH@PSU
ASU@UTAH
USC@ND
UK@MSST
LSU@MISS
TROY@GAST
UCF@NAVY

Link to form: https://goo.gl/forms/csohhQXZZLm4M8ne2

I don't think your formula is correct. You have Fields F thru K as subtotal instead of F thru L

Top Bottom