• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

pezzie

Still perplexed why those 6 or so reviews came out so early; that's like almost a week before the embargo is even lifted. And it certainly doesn't help that they are all relatively less known publications, giving unexpectedly high scores at the same time. What's going on here...

Ignore everyone. What's actually going on here is a shadowy organization scheming to perpetuate the greatest fraud in metacritic history. I have proof! The papers right here will surely bring everything to li...

The game released in Japan/Asia 2 weeks ago with English voice and subs, and these 6 reviewers bought that version to review the game.

Edit: Too many lurking ninja androids.
Oh shit, I thought the Japanese version just had the english subtitles and not the voices. If I knew that I would have played it already. May as well wait now because I'd rather have it on disc.

DR2K

Banned
Still perplexed why those 6 or so reviews came out so early; that's like almost a week before the embargo is even lifted. And it certainly doesn't help that they are all relatively less known publications, giving unexpectedly high scores at the same time. What's going on here...

The game got leaked through one of the Obama wiretaps of Trump Towers.

Ive played about 20hrs so far...
I love it, the gameplay is definitely better than nier, i thinm nier 1 had better magic and boss setpieces though. Npcs were better in neir 1 too.
Story is pretty great so far but i cant compare yet.
Music is just as good.
I like 2b and the gang better than nier himself
Honestly have no idea how this will review though. Fps has been iffy but nothing too distracting and the graphics range from great to bland depending on the area.
Playing on a pro, it looks considerably nicer than the base ps4 demo.

I feel like something would be lost if Drakengard was remade into something less actively hateful in every fiber of its being.

I wouldn't want a less hateful Drakengard, but I would like it more if Drakengard had a deeper sense of exploration & more... down-time, if you will.

The game and story pretty much takes you from one hell to the next. Makes sense for Caim, but I'd love for there to be moments where you're say, hiding in a village away from the evil empire and you just see the craziness of what a normal village in the world of Drakengard engages in.

Take whatever skeleton/concept that was there of Scalebound and try to frame it into a Drakengard remake/reimagination by Yoko Taro.

If you bothered to read the reviews, you'd see that they were based on the Japanese copy of the game, which was released in February.

*This review is based on the Japanese version of the game, purchased by an RPGFan reviewer.*
*This review is based on the Japanese copy of the game. The entire game is playable with English subtitles and voices.*
*This review is based on a review build provided by the developers/publisher.
[Editor's note: There are no embargo details provided to us by the publisher for the Japan/Asia version. The Japan/Asia version has english dubs and subtitles.]*

And because some of those sites aren't IGN or Kotaku, it makes them less relevant? Seems that someone people maybe care about giving games some exposure vs being pushed by an agenda. I dunno.....

/smh

Good to see that IGN of all reviewers is taking the time to actually do the other endings. (And with how B ends, it's hard not to go back for C.)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Is this actually related to the original Nier?

I never played the original but thought the demo for this was really good.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is this actually related to the original Nier?

I never played the original but thought the demo for this was really good.

All of Drakengard and Nier share the same multiverse and certain elements carry over all the way to Automata,, but its not mandatory to enjoy Automata's mostly self contained story.

But it will significantly enrich your experience with it if you do know everything as there are blatant call backs and shout outs for those "in the know" with Drakenier

Inuhanyou

Hope the framerate issue he mentioned isn't too bad. Might double dip and get the PC version as well.

John said it was still perfectly playable and better than Platinum's other console games performance wise even on base PS4, which makes me confident as i didnt really notice many performance drops from playing those(although to be fair i never played bayonetta on PS3 which is supposedly by far their worst performing game)

I would say there are definitely frame pacing issues (PS4 pro, no boost mode because I don't have that update yet), but it doesn't affect gameplay.

Also, there's been a patch since I last booted up, so they might've intended to clean it up a bit before the NA launch.

JayEH

I would say there are definitely frame pacing issues (PS4 pro, no boost mode because I don't have that update yet), but it doesn't affect gameplay.

Also, there's been a patch since I last booted up, so they might've intended to clean it up a bit before the NA launch.

Boost mode only works on games that don't have pro patches.

Also it isn't frame pacing it's just stuttering occasionally.

ZeoVGM

Banned
All of Drakengard and Nier share the same multiverse and certain elements carry over all the way to Automata,, but its not mandatory to enjoy Automata's mostly self contained story.

But it will significantly enrich your experience with it if you do know everything as there are blatant call backs and shout outs for those "in the know" with Drakenier

Great, thanks for the info!

T-Rex.

Banned
Good to see that IGN of all reviewers is taking the time to actually do the other endings. (And with how B ends, it's hard not to go back for C.)
How do the multiple endings work, as in is it like VNs where choices you make will have an impact on the story or is it just a case of playing through the story again but using different characters?

Inuhanyou

How do the multiple endings work, as in is it like VNs where choices you make will have an impact on the story or is it just a case of playing through the story again but using different characters?

Both, but don't worry, its fairly straight forward for the canon story routes

Coda

Game is a 9.5 for me. The only thing I really wish it had more of more and better bosses but overall this game wowed me and sits along Bloodborne as my favorite PS4 games.

...I've been covering & reviewing Japanese games for over 20 years, and even before that through the fanzine I started in junior high, I was on one of the most popular (and hardcore) podcasts about Japanese gaming, and I've been directly sourced as helping the popularity of some Japanese games / franchises when they came to the US through my coverage. I've also worked hard to review as many Japanese games as I can at my current outlet, when without my pushing they wouldn't have touched at least half of the stuff.

And that's just me. There are others of us out there. :(

If I could have a website/link to save so I can check out your work, it'd be very much appreciated - one can only hear/take in so much on their own. The main reason I know & follow Easy Allies so closely is because they're the team from Game Trailers, a site I grew up with.

Please don't feel insulted based on my own lack of knowledge/awareness, I meant no ill will with what I said.

They work as follows:
  • Route A: Main Story Part 1
  • Route B:
    Main Story Part 1 from another Perspective. New Mechanics, Reveals, Quests, etc. Progression Carries Over.
  • Route C & On:
    Main Story Part 2, More New Quests & Mechanics, Progression also Carries Over.

I'm hopelessly praying that it does a decent MC and then we get a acolades trailer. Then we know we've won.

But TBH, it'd still be a cult classic loved by Nier/Taro fans a like even if it scores low.

Review Embargo Countdown Clock Added to OP.

t1488808800z4.png

If someone could compile links to the reviews posted since the last update, it'd be much appreciated.

Inuhanyou

RPG Site: One thing we've noticed in recent years is games like those you've mentioned - Persona, Yakuza, Danganronpa and so on... they're seeing more success in the West by wearing their niche nature proudly. Are you hoping to tap into that?

Taro Yoko: I think for Nier's case, that depth of love from the fans... the more people who really get into it, there'll be that sideways expansion too just by word of mouth. Then obviously, again, one other aspect of Nier where we're aiming to take it... because of this great collaboration with Platinum Games, we want to bring in their fans as well, as I'm sure they'll love it too.

Then there's the people who like the original Nier game... it should hopefully all come together and become a catalyst for further expansion. It'd be great if we could see that kind of growth of the fanbase for Nier because of that.

https://www.rpgsite.net/interview/5...che-kings-on-their-trip-into-a-robotic-future

Let's hope. Also you guys should read this whole interview, its super interesting about how they approached stuff in the game

I've been looking at more of the recent interviews and jesus what a gold mine

https://www.rpgsite.net/interview/5...che-kings-on-their-trip-into-a-robotic-future

Let's hope. Also you guys should read this whole interview, its super interesting about how they approached stuff in the game

I've been looking at more of the recent interviews and jesus what a gold mine

You should link them all! I've been looking on YouTube for more of his interviews and was watching his GDC panel back then about making Weird games for Weird people. It was a super delightful watch and insight into his thought process. Hollywood script writing, what is this nonsense?!

mollipen

Well, I guess since at least IGN said it first, there's your embargo time/date. :D

If I could have a website/link to save so I can check out your work, it'd be very much appreciated - one can only hear/take in so much on their own. The main reason I know & follow Easy Allies so closely is because they're the team from Game Trailers, a site I grew up with.

Please don't feel insulted based on my own lack of knowledge/awareness, I meant no ill will with what I said.

To be clear, I wasn't insulted, nor was I as hurt as I may have made it seem. It's just frustrating sometimes for people to think "there's hardly anybody out there whose reviews I should pay attention to for Japanese games", when there are people out there (not just me) trying really hard to get this stuff covered and do it justice. It's often a problem of those kinds of people being at smaller/less well known outlets, so it's not always easy to even know they're out there—unless they're someone who stands out at a bigger outlet/group (like Easy Allies).

I mean though, I totally get the inclination to not even pay attention to most reviews for Japanese games out there. On a personal level, I often don't, because I've seen too many outlets/people who seem to love crapping on them at this point. I mean, we had to live through years of "why Japanese gaming is dead" articles when that was an ignorant Western-centric view to take—and/or a long-awaited bout of gloating over the perceived death of an industry that some people loved to see as out of touch and out of date.

And the best way to check out my stuff from the last few years is via my OpenCritic page.

If you bothered to read the reviews, you'd see that they were based on the Japanese copy of the game, which was released in February.

*This review is based on the Japanese version of the game, purchased by an RPGFan reviewer.*
*This review is based on the Japanese copy of the game. The entire game is playable with English subtitles and voices.*
*This review is based on a review build provided by the developers/publisher.
[Editor’s note: There are no embargo details provided to us by the publisher for the Japan/Asia version. The Japan/Asia version has english dubs and subtitles.]*

And because some of those sites aren't IGN or Kotaku, it makes them less relevant? Seems that someone people maybe care about giving games some exposure vs being pushed by an agenda. I dunno.....

/smh

The funny thing is those are some of the hardworking sites out there.

Whenever you want to read reviews for some obscure PSN games with less than 10 reviews on Metacritic, they are written by these small sites (I recognize many of the names) and only occasionally by the IGNs of the world. They deserve more recognition

You should link them all! I've been looking on YouTube for more of his interviews and was watching his GDC panel back then about making Weird games for Weird people. It was a super delightful watch and insight into his thought process. Hollywood script writing, what is this nonsense?!

U7CkyBX.png

This is probably my favorite Taro interview. The sockpuppet is even more appropriate than the Emil helmet.

Inuhanyou

I mean though, I totally get the inclination to not even pay attention to most reviews for Japanese games out there. On a personal level, I often don't, because I've seen too many outlets/people who seem to love crapping on them at this point. I mean, we had to live through years of "why Japanese gaming is dead" articles when that was an ignorant Western-centric view to take—and/or a long-awaited bout of gloating over the perceived death of an industry that some people loved to see as out of touch and out of date.
[/B]

Mollie, you know the deal perfectly. Now when we've had an entire string of excellent releases from prolific Japanese devs and virtually nothing western wise, nobody says that kind of thing, but back in the era of AAA western gaming being all the rage, you could not get away from it.

Of course we don't have media outlets saying so anymore, but we still have to deal with the type of 'lol weaboo' crowds that have gained traction in recent years. I dont know where they came from as that didn't exist when i was younger.

The blowback towards Japanese games and media took me by surprise one day

T-Rex.

Banned
Both, but don't worry, its fairly straight forward for the canon story routes
They work as follows:
  • Route A: Main Story Part 1
  • Route B:
    Main Story Part 1 from another Perspective. New Mechanics, Reveals, Quests, etc. Progression Carries Over.
  • Route C & On:
    Main Story Part 2, More New Quests & Mechanics, Progression also Carries Over.
Ok thanks. I'd honestly never even heard of the series before the demo and now it's one of my most anticipated games of the year, I can't wait.

killatopak

Gold Member
I feel like something would be lost if Drakengard was remade into something less actively hateful in every fiber of its being.

Nier I just want better graphics, selectable Papa/Brother, and more appropriate animation for Papa.

Straight port or ps2 Emu on ps4 would do. Maybe add trophies so getting to ending e on dk1 won't be a bore.

Razmos

I have never been, and don't think I ever will be again, so excited to see reviews.

Really hope this game does well.

Inuhanyou

Ok thanks. I'd honestly never even heard of the series before the demo and now it's one of my most anticipated games of the year, I can't wait.

Nierenguard/Drakenier has been one of my favorite franchises since i was in highschool(2003/2007), my close friend who i still hang out with every weekend got me into Drakengard cause he would always tell me of all the weird and messed up stuff that happend in the game on the bus ride home and at that time, i had never actually played a Square Enix game with such depravity before, it was alien to me to think the people who made FF and KH and Star Ocean actually had a game like that. He loaned it to me one day and the rest was history, i even went out and bought Drakengard 2.

Of course i only really became of full fledged fan of Yoko Taro in 2011 much to my chagrin...as i had never actually paid attention to who directed games in my earlier days, i just played them.

I remember seeing Nier promotional stuff everywhere around the time it came out, but dismissed it due to Nier's design appearance as another medieval style japanese game trying to win over a western audience with western asthetics(similar to Quantum theory) as was the case around those times. For some reason i equated it to God of war in my head, although now i don't know why i thought that.

Of course i didn't know the connection between Drakengard and Nier until about a year or so later and by then, Cavia had already collapsed. Didn't make the same mistake when D3 came out even though i was fairly divided on the game itself.

Let's bet on how many reviewers will have done the due diligence to see all the endings.

I'm tempted to go through by playtime and average all the scores with 25-30+ hours playtime, and put it in the OP. (That should weed out many of the lazy reviewers who play one route & call it quits?)

Philippo

Let's bet on how many reviewers will have done the due diligence to see all the endings.

Well both the review guide and the game itself heavily insist on the importance of subsequent playthroughs, plus by now it has become a well known trademark of Taro's games, so i don't think many will skip them.

Top Bottom