• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

gotee12

I've purchased 5 PS2 games this week from Gamestops B2G2 sale just for PCSX2. I love this software!

Persona 3 & 4
Monster Hunter
Ar Tonelico II
Ico

So much jrpg fluff! So excited!

Emitan

ExMachina said:
FF12's native resolution is 512x448 (which is even more squarish than 4:3) even if you set the in-game options to 16:9
So you're telling me that one of the only widescreen games on the PS2 (at least out of games I own) outputs even squarer video? WTF

gotee12 said:
I've purchased 5 PS2 games this week from Gamestops B2G2 sale just for PCSX2. I love this software!

Persona 3 & 4
Monster Hunter
Ar Tonelico II
Ico

So much jrpg fluff! So excited!

You're in for a treat, especially with ico.
Incredible game, best atmosphere ever, so endearing.

teiresias

Billychu said:
So you're telling me that one of the only widescreen games on the PS2 (at least out of games I own) outputs even squarer video? WTF

That's because it (and pretty much all PS2 games) generated its widescreen the same way anamorphic DVDs did, by "squishing" the widescreen into the square render area which is then widened out by the display device (monitor, tv, etc.)

thundr51

Got myself a HD5870 (MUCH better than my 9600GSO) and things are much better now(FINALLY Godhand is playable), but I STILL can't get VF4Evo to run decently. Does it just not play well using this version or does anyone have a recommended settings?

Salaadin

Are there any controller solutions for games that use the pressure sensitive buttons of the PS controller...mainly games like MGS2 and MGS3? Im finding it impossible to not slit a guys throat instantly when I CQC grab him.

If I got one of those PS2 to PC adapters, will the pressure sensitive stuff register just as it would on a PS2?

Artadius

Have they managed to get the Snowblind games working yet (Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1/2, Everquest Champions of Norrath...)?

RPGCrazied

Still not 100% yet, most games still have many glitches. I have a 6core CPU, I can run most at full speed, but still has like texture bugs, audio bugs and FMV bugs. The only games that are kinda slow are Rogue Galaxy and Dragon Quest VIII.

Any tips for making p4 run (even) better on a phenom II tri-core cpu @ 3ghz (pretend it's a quad core if it bothers you) and a hd4870?

I've set the graphics plugin to hardware rendering in dx10, but I don't see any option to set the amount of cores that the game can use along with it.

People always say the cpu is the limiting factor here.

It runs pretty well, but slows down a bit during fights with more than 3 enemies or during really crowded scenes.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Any iMac (Intel) guys using this?

I'm going to try the Mac release as soon as I get home.

Emitan

AlphaSnake said:
Any iMac (Intel) guys using this?

I'm going to try the Mac release as soon as I get home.
I keep meaning to try it on my Mac and I keep forgetting. I'll try some games this weekend.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Salaadin said:
Are there any controller solutions for games that use the pressure sensitive buttons of the PS controller...mainly games like MGS2 and MGS3? Im finding it impossible to not slit a guys throat instantly when I CQC grab him.

If I got one of those PS2 to PC adapters, will the pressure sensitive stuff register just as it would on a PS2?
As far as I can tell, the only controller + driver combo that supports pressure sensitivity is a PS3 pad + libusb. Just about every other converter/driver will turn any buttons into binary on/off inputs.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PS3-Controller-on-64-bit-windows-2-0
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-LilyPad-0-10-0 (see the "Setting up a DualShock 3 Direct Connection" section)

SneakyStephan said:
Any tips for making p4 run (even) better on a phenom II tri-core cpu @ 3ghz (pretend it's a quad core if it bothers you) and a hd4870?

I've set the graphics plugin to hardware rendering in dx10, but I don't see any option to set the amount of cores that the game can use along with it.

People always say the cpu is the limiting factor here.

It runs pretty well, but slows down a bit during fights with more than 3 enemies or during really crowded scenes.
If your CPU is the limiting factor, then really all you can do is crank up the speed hacks. Both EE Cycle Rate and VU Cycle Stealing can give FPS gains without any glitches in P4.

Could you elaborate?
I have both of them off atm (the speed hacks).

What do they do? skip frames?
Won't that mess with the sound or animations or control responsiveness? (timing to get initiative when you start a fight).

I'll experiment a bit with them tonight.

Gvaz

Banned
the X3 720 is decent but if you really want to play this stuff at high res and such you're better off with an intel cpu.

My laptop has an i5 m 520 and a Nvidia Geforce GT 230m, for using the graphics plugin render would I get better performance with hardware or software ?

AlphaSnake

How do you get a controller to work on the Mac version? I finally got the games running, but using a keyboard is pointless here.

DasRaven

AlphaSnake said:
How do you get a controller to work on the Mac version? I finally got the games running, but using a keyboard is pointless here.

Snow Leopard has built-in support for DS3 via bluetooth and usb. 360 controllers can also be used with driver package.

AlphaSnake

DasRaven said:
Snow Leopard has built-in support for DS3 via bluetooth and usb. 360 controllers can also be used with driver package.

Really? When I plugged my DS3 in and turn on the emu, I don't see the DS3 in the controller drop down menu.

Ledsen

SneakyStephan said:
Could you elaborate?
I have both of them off atm (the speed hacks).

What do they do? skip frames?
Won't that mess with the sound or animations or control responsiveness? (timing to get initiative when you start a fight).

I'll experiment a bit with them tonight.

No they're not frameskips, they do other things like "overclock" the PS2 etc. In some games the speed hacks are 100% improvement with no drawbacks, in other games they can cause graphical glitches.

plc268

Just tried FFX and P4, both worked great.

Having problems with both MGS2 and MGS3 though. MGS2 just boots to a black screen and nothing else. Stuck at 0 FPS. MGS3 boots fine, and I can hit start, but it will not recognize any button presses so that I can select a new game.

Also, tried 24 The Game, it's practically unplayable... framerate doesn't go above 20FPS once the gameplay starts. I haven't dabbled much in the speed hacks yet, but what I have tried hasn't helped.

zsswimmer

I'm trying FFXII, FFX ran great but I get a lot of slowdowns on 12. I'm in the giza plains which routinely drop to 40-45fps making it very slow. Here's my specs

i7 1.73ghz (w/ turbo boost)
gtx 285m
6gb ram

I'm using default settings with some speed hacks enabled. Any suggestions?

teiresias

zsswimmer said:
I'm trying FFXII, FFX ran great but I get a lot of slowdowns on 12. I'm in the giza plains which routinely drop to 40-45fps making it very slow. Here's my specs

i7 1.73ghz (w/ turbo boost)
gtx 285m
6gb ram

I'm using default settings with some speed hacks enabled. Any suggestions?

There's something about the Giza Plains that just is a dog - I'm not sure what it is. The entire rest of the game is pegged at 60fps for me (aside from the odd quickening effect or something that slows it to a 1 fps crawl), but Giza Plains is just slow down city, so I wouldn't judge how the majority of the game will run for you based on that area.

1.73Ghz is pretty slow though for PCSX I think.

zsswimmer

teiresias said:
There's something about the Giza Plains that just is a dog - I'm not sure what it is. The entire rest of the game is pegged at 60fps for me (aside from the odd quickening effect or something that slows it to a 1 fps crawl), but Giza Plains is just slow down city, so I wouldn't judge how the majority of the game will run for you based on that area.

1.73Ghz is pretty slow though for PCSX I think.
Well its an i7 quad core that can overclock via turboboost to 2.93ghz. So I assume that would fair pretty decently on the pcsx2. Yeah looks like giza plains is just graphics killer, I have to play it like it's in top down mode.

Also, FFXII's inverted x-axis makes me rage. Is there any known work-around for it? Seriously, why the fuck would SE make a game with default inverted controls and not have an option to change it?!

xemumanic

PCSX2 v0.9.8 is up! 2 Years in the making.

http://pcsx2.net/

Here's the major points:

GUI:

New, threaded GUI using wxWidgets.
New menus, for improved usability and faster configuration.
Convenient Memory Card editor.
On the fly pause and resume, perfectly stable, safe and fast.
On the fly setting switching and even plugin switching.
Powerful new configuration that is more user friendly with its first time wizard, reset to default buttons and a global presets system.
A plethora of new options that make playing games more fun!
All options have tooltips explaining what each of them do.
Comes translated, with many languages to select from.
Compatible with Aero Glass and Windows eye candy.
Looks and works great on Linux, too!

Core:

Entire emulation core has been overhauled. Many components are rewritten.
Countless code generation and runtime execution bugs fixed.
Added microVU, an improved VU0/VU1/COP2 recompiler.
New VIF recompiler
Multi-threaded GS rewrite: Faster and more stable than in 0.9.6.
Better BIOS splash screen skip method, better ELF support, host fs support.
New Game database detects the game you run, displays compatibility info, and auto applies special game fixes/patches if needed.

Plugins:

GSdx is faster, more stable and has more configuration options than ever before.
SPU2-X is the preferred SPU2 plugin now.
It has matured into almost completely emulating all the SPU2 quirks, making many more games work!
(And it sounds nice, too :) )

Wazzim

Banned
xemumanic said:
PCSX2 v0.9.8 is up! 2 Years in the making.

http://pcsx2.net/

Here's the major points:

GUI:

New, threaded GUI using wxWidgets.
New menus, for improved usability and faster configuration.
Convenient Memory Card editor.
On the fly pause and resume, perfectly stable, safe and fast.
On the fly setting switching and even plugin switching.
Powerful new configuration that is more user friendly with its first time wizard, reset to default buttons and a global presets system.
A plethora of new options that make playing games more fun!
All options have tooltips explaining what each of them do.
Comes translated, with many languages to select from.
Compatible with Aero Glass and Windows eye candy.
Looks and works great on Linux, too!

Core:

Entire emulation core has been overhauled. Many components are rewritten.
Countless code generation and runtime execution bugs fixed.
Added microVU, an improved VU0/VU1/COP2 recompiler.
New VIF recompiler
Multi-threaded GS rewrite: Faster and more stable than in 0.9.6.
Better BIOS splash screen skip method, better ELF support, host fs support.
New Game database detects the game you run, displays compatibility info, and auto applies special game fixes/patches if needed.

Plugins:

GSdx is faster, more stable and has more configuration options than ever before.
SPU2-X is the preferred SPU2 plugin now.
It has matured into almost completely emulating all the SPU2 quirks, making many more games work!
(And it sounds nice, too :) )
Really nice, gonna try it tonight with Persona 4.

EDIT: The new version is alot better, it has 6x scaling support (runs great) and the sound is much better. The only problem I'm having is that the savestates won't copy over, memorycards worked fine but it won't recognize my old savestates.

Mr. Hyde

I've tried my Devil Summoner 1 on the new version. It runs nice besides some sort of screen shaking issue that has never happened to me using PCSX2.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Mr. Hyde said:
I've tried my Devil Summoner 1 on the new version. It runs nice besides some sort of screen shaking issue that has never happened to me using PCSX2.

Yeah, I need a new guide for this version I think. I'm getting slow loading issues, weird shaking, screen going black... none of which happens with the old version.

Mr. Hyde

Iadien said:
Yeah, I need a new guide for this version I think. I'm getting slow loading issues, weird shaking, screen going black... none of which happens with the old version.

I fixed the shaking by going into interlacing and turning on bob tff. It hasn't caused any slowdowns. I have not experienced the other issues, yet.

DasRaven

The Antitype said:
What are the chances of a 2.6 Ghz Macbook Pro (newest model...black keys) running this thing, lol?

The OSX port has been working fine for several years based on the 0.9.6 release.
I'm running everything on my 2011 MBP without issue.

ant1532

Banned
DasRaven said:
The OSX port has been working fine for several years based on the 0.9.6 release.
I'm running everything on my 2011 MBP without issue.
What games can you(or have you) play at what FPS on your MBP?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Is there any possible way to show a "save state 0 has saved" text or something similar when I hit the F1 button? I get really paranoid and would have to alt tab and check the PCSX2 program log every time

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
anyone know how to fix the graphic issue I'm having? I'm using GSdx32 plugin (doesn't matter which version I use). I can either fix the font textures or everything else. I cannot seem to fix both at the same time.

Native resolution:
2Nnl8.jpg

Native resolution disabled:
D8tUj.jpg

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Unavoidable, gonna happen with scaling. There's not real issues with that game though. Just be happy it's fully playable.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The game looks so good at 3x native and up that you really forget the small things like that fast. You try the new release by chance? I haven't tested every game yet but I do have it installed. See if that fixes that issue.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Two things;

1. God of War wont boot properly. Im pretty sure it is not scaling the resolution any higher, and just running in native. I also get hideous green artefacts all over the screen.

2. This MotionJoy program is a trainwreck, and I cant get my PS3 pad to work with PCSX2.

Halp on either?

EDIT: 3. GS plugin fails to load and crashes continuously. What the fuck?

Top Bottom