• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked Chapter 2 a lot.

It was nice to see Weiss in action again.

I should have known Adam was gonna kill Sienna (because Of Course). I really liked her design too :(

Also the thought crossed m mind earlier today that Yang and Weiss would somehow be reunited first, and here we are,

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Really sad to see that the combat movements are still super stilted and lack that stylish flick that it had before. I hope it gets better but I think it's clear that combat is not going to be the reason why I keep seeing this show, which is super disappointing.

Episode 2 was much better then episode one IMO!

Weiss FINALLY uses her Summon to fight and it even used her glyph movement thing to do the same attack she did at the end of volume 2 on the chainsaw guy during the train sequence. The fight itself wasn't anything super grand but we did get to see a verity of uses for her glyphs in a single battle which was nice including her using her glyphs to try and slow down the decent of the crashing plane. Well done Weiss.

So as I thought Salem is sending a recovered Cinder and her team to Raven's to get the spring maiden. Also Tyrion is getting a new tail? Wat?

Adam has taken over the White Fang and now I'm starting to see how Blake eventually joins up with the rest of her team again. With Adam in charge of the White Fang they can act much more out in the open which will likely put a giant target on Blake and her familys back causing them to flee the island and they will likely learn of the plan for the White Fang to attack Haven so they'll end up trying to head towards there where were likely to get the finale of the season.

Hazel seems honorable I guess? I get the feeling they're setting him up as an honorable villain that might end up switching sides at some point, hope they don't just do something generic and he just gets axed the moment he decides to do the right thing.

I felt that Faunus leader was killed off in a really generic way. Shame I actually liked her design, this could have been an interesting moment if they had bothered to introduce her before this one episode where she dies XD

So Weiss gets captured by Raven who will likely try and Ransom her back to her father then Yang will show up and likely end up setting her free. Pilots totally dead though, even if he survived the crash Raven's men will just have killed him off anyway.

So what seems to be happening is that we'll have Ruby and co+ head out to find Raven, they'll meet up with Yang and Weiss but then Cinder and go also will be there and we'll likely see a big battle because you know if Cinder sees Ruby shes going to FLAME ON like right away. Meanwhile Blake and Sun will likely have targets placed on their backs by Adam and have to go on the run, I don't see Blakes parents going with them (they aren't in the opening at all) so either they'll split up or Adam will kill them as apart of his vow to 'take away everything Blake cares about'

All roads eventually lead back to Haven as a big battle will take place there. Only real unknown will be what the Spring Maiden ultimately does, obviously Cinder will try and bring her over to their side which is possible if shes enjoyed the company of Raven's bandits for the last few years but since we know nothing about her its hard to really predict what she will end up doing.

Raven's another one whose really up in the air, she seems afraid of Salem and what Salem will ultimately do so I don't see her siding with her but at the same time her morals are clearly not normal so its hard to say. IDK Maybe Yang will punch some sense into her.

Again much better episode even though a few things played out in a rather generic fashion.

Geist-

Sienna's character design seemed like a lot of effort for someone who as only going to have a few minutes of screen time. Maybe she'll survive somehow. (saved by Hazel maybe?)

Weiss' full summoning is cool to see in a real battle. And that end scene explains how she's going to reunite with Yang. The only part of the gang that's nowhere near the others is Blake. I wonder if that means we'll have to wait another volume to get the full gang back together.

Yang's reunion with Raven is going to be fun.

My first impressions of Episode 2:

So Cinder is talking again, let's just see if they let Jessica explore some anger rather than bland seduction now.

I get this air fight needed to happen for the purposes of moving the girls into a position wherein they could reunite, and Weiss landing in Mistral (a big Kingdom no less) would've made her crossing Ruby's path with no lead tropey at best, implausible at worse. However, it only really shone when it was external shots of the ship and these Lancers(?). They should've saved Weiss opening the cargo door for the Knight, which was the best part of it. Actually, that, and the bit of sheer ingenuity by Weiss using her glyphs to cushion the blow of the crash, all criticisms aside, what a great piece of animation, when it slid through each glyph you could see them dragging against it's velocity.

Okay, I dunno how I feel about Adam killing Khan here. On one hand, way to cement your already universally despised villain as the most loose of canons. Unless you are one of the main four girls, I do not trust any protagonist occupying the same scene as this man. Two volumes and his first scene is killing his leader. Way to establish, or more accurately, reaffirm his presence as a threat. On the other hand, they hyped Khan up relatively well the last volume, and given the Jungle Book iconography revolving around Blake, we're already dropping a fair bit of that by killing off what seemed like a potentially interesting antagonist. It just seems a bit of waste.

I get you can't have it both ways, make Adam a clear and present threat above all else, whilst having him neutered underneath Khan. I guess if Hazel's uneasy relationship with Adam continues, he'll provide a more interesting depiction of the villains I was hoping Khan would've.

Overall, I liked it alot, though it really wasn't what I was looking for this week. I expected Blake and Ruby scenes. Though, if this is indeed the latter half of this 'season' (the way volume 3 was to the Beacon storyline), I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if Blake and her father's speech not only goes bad, but could be catastrophic, and they're holding it back for a couple of episodes.

kayos90

I wonder what Hazel is doing with Salem, he seems someone who tries to avoid unnecessary deaths and generaly nice

He seems very calculating in the sense that he's not trying to be completely cutthroat but follow the route that will lead the least amount of human deaths or the survival of the most humans

Do Adam really think the White Fang can wipe humanity off the face of the planet?

Pretty sure Adam just signed his death certificate with this move. He just proved he would put gaining power above loyalty to any person. He also outright states he wants to kill all humans which most of Salem's group are. He's going to end up getting offed by Salem's group (probably Hazel himself) taking Blake's kill away from her.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Episode 2 Impressions:

Lionheart seems to have completely sold out to Team Salem. I was under the impression that they had some collateral on him and that he was only a subordinate by force, but seeing him reference Salem as "his grace".... this dude is 100% a turncoat! Really happy that Cinder recovered, but her sultry attitude seems to be a thing of the past. Whether it's because of what happened to her at the end of Vol 4 or simply being in the presence of Salem, she's a lot more focused and emotional than she was before. It's both entertaining and interesting to see her obsessiveness over Ruby, as we're so used to seeing this slick, cool headed character now wearing her emotions on her sleeve. And speaking of sultry... Salem's voice WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! *fans self*

I was looking forward to Weiss' summon in action and pairing that scene with her Volume 4 song "This Life Is Mine" made it all the more exciting. Can't wait to see how it deals with human adversaries, and the reactions we'll get from the rest of gang when they see Weiss has upped her game since their split. Sienna looks amazing and her VA did a great job, which is why I'm at a loss as to why they killed her off just as quickly as they introduced her. What the hell man?! I understand the need for Adam to assume the role of leader for the White Fang but fuck they should've imprisoned her at most... that way when Ruby and the crew would eventually save her it would give her character a valuable time to reflect on her past judgement of humans and help her develop into a more forward thinking individual. Even possibly have her lend aid to Ozpin's gang in the future. What a waste! :(

At least she will live on in tumblr. Bring me the fanarts.

You know, I didn't care for Hazel much when I first saw him.. but to see him show remorse and a bit of... sadness(?) at Sienna's death kind of took me aback. Consider me surprised that Salem's group isn't full of psychopathic killers. Though looking back I guess I should've seen something was different about him when he helped Oscar with that ticket machine... Interesting...

And holy shit Weiss got captured by Raven's tribe! Maybe Raven will use her as a means to force Yang to join their group? Could our first reunion be between Weiss and Yang? If so I hope they have a conversation about Blake considering the two of them have some pretty significant history with her (Weiss - having preconceived notions about the faunus and eventually coming around to be open minded, Yang - Blake's partner
and soon to be girlfriend *fingers crossed*
). I thought episode 2 was stellar and now I'm going to be agonizing until next Saturday to see what happens next. I need a time machine, stat!

Pretty sure Adam just signed his death certificate with this move. He just proved he would put gaining power above loyalty to any person. He also outright states he wants to kill all humans which most of Salem's group are. He's going to end up getting offed by Salem's group (probably Hazel himself) taking Blake's kill away from her.

Indeed, no matter what he does, he and his group of 'revolutionaries' have been, and always will be "plastic soldiers and pawns." Though I don't think Hazel will kill him off, or any of Salem's lot for that matter, she'll know he has no real chance against Atlas in a war between Faunus and humans (which, let's be honest seems likely to happen now), and why tie herself to a clearly losing side of a war, when she let Atlas and Ironwood waste time killing him and the White Fang while she focuses on her priorities? As Qrow says "Salem's smart, she works from the shadows, using others to get what she wants, so when it comes time to place the blame, they can only point at each other." Killing her pawns seems less productive to a character like that, than using them as a distraction to her enemies.

kayos90

Is there any way to watch the original Twitch marathon of this? I wanna watch it again with chat reactions.

RedEther

Episode 2 thoughts

Sienna had alot of potential could have been a great character, man what a waste. With the way Hazel was looking at the scene maybe there's a chance he could save her. Probably not lol

Nice to see Salem get her voice back so quickly.

I didn't expect Weiss storyline to end up being captured by Raven's tribe that was something I honestly didn't see coming. Yang and Weiss might be the first reunion which I'd be totally down with since those are my favorite characters.

This episode was way better than the first so I'm expecting alot for next weeks episode.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
They've already made some pretty good ones.

(spoilers obviously) https://i.imgur.com/YFIG5lA.jpg

LOL. That's good.

Is there any way to watch the original Twitch marathon of this? I wanna watch it again with chat reactions.

Unfortunately no. TwitchPresents does not keep a video archive of their past events sadly.

Edit: Wow, looks like someone recorded it and put it up on youtube. Looks like they're working on Volume 1 right now, but hopefully they'll do the others fairly shortly.

TrueBlue

Some thoughts on Episode 2:

So Cinder speaks again. I like how Jessica has dropped the seductive slant to her voice. It's a small change but it illustrates the change in her demeanour between the volumes. It also helps that Jen Taylor seems more than happy to fill that particular niche with Salem. Blimey.

And man, I hope thw Ruby/Cinder collision is as explosive as they're building it to be. The two haven't fought seriously yet, which is surprising if one considers we're in Volume 5. Given Cinder's obsession and Ruby's dormant powers, we're hopefully in for something special.

It seens obvious Leo isn't really happy in his position. Hopefully we'll see what Salem and co have on him.

The Weiss scene was cool. Stilted at points, but I liked seeing her use her summon at will for the first time. Those new Grimm were suitably creepy as well. Weiss being kidnapped by Raven wasn't a twist I saw coming, so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

And yeah, Sienna was wasted given how much I digged her design. At the very least we saw a bit more to Hazel - doesn't seem to like bloodshed if it can be avoided. Will be interesting to see that dynamic with Faunus Psycho there.

It all seems to be hinting at things coming to a head at Raven's camp. Cinder is already on her way, JNPR, Qrow and maybe Oz will inevitably head there when Leo gets rumbled, Yang is looking for it and Weiss is now captive - and we ain't even seen the Spring Maiden yet.

Given the White Fang probably have an interest in that camp as well, Blake might also get involved. At the very least a partial reunion of RWBY seems on the cards, though I contend the Ruby/Cinder confrontation will be the main draw of the finale.

I don't think Ilia will be ecstatic about the new leadership of the White Fang.

Considering there was/is still an up-in-the-air theory about timelines given how each girl has moved across several continents worth of distance, you could argue Ilia may have already learnt that Adam has already pulled the coup - or just as likely knows it is just about to happen, hence why she's so scared for Blake.

Ilia cares about Blake but has no problem siding with her abusive and unstable boyfriend.

'End justifies the means', 'necessary evil', 'I'm doing it for Blake's own good', 'Humans are the real evil ones' etc.

That last shot of her in Volume 4 bowing to the two foxes is pretty telling that Ilia has a lot of her own demons and insecurities they're abusing and grooming, and whilst it seems like she isn't oblivious to it, they still have a major influence on her.

Plus, Khan alludes to Adam being this overtly revered figure within the White Fang, and given how this episode ended I firmly believe that every WF member has a cultish level of respect for him.

In fact, him being a cult leader would explain a lot...

Blake should abandon this idea of salvaging the White Fang, because they've now devolved to a misanthropic cult.
I would like to see Tyrian and Hazel confronting Adam.

Blake should abandon this idea of salvaging the White Fang, because they've now devolved to a misanthropic cult.
I would like to see Tyrian and Hazel confronting Adam.

Dude, I'll be there day 1 for that beat-down. Adam seems to react best when someone comes at him, with him having the faster reflexes. Good luck trying that with Tyrian (assuming he isn't just standing there grinning to himself like he did with both Qrow and Ruby). Plus, his new tail! Hazel, he's gonna be a fucking powerhouse I can feel it, hell, given his apparent lack of desire to see bloodshed, I'd love to see him be a Jekyll and Hyde villain with a underlying bloodthirsty tendencies he's suppressing.

Never made a Discord server - never even used it outside of getting in on that Blasphemous discord access when I backed it, but I think I've done all I need to to make one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom