• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Dudes. All I have been doing is either playing PUBG or watching PUBG streamers. Hooks.

Best community I've seen since the old Rust days. Everyone on mics, lots of cool people.

Grexeno

21E0C008A886B6A1D4481E9916CEF1AFF3030B69

First team win with my roommate. Feels good.

SomTervo

Not quite on board with the people saying they never find deaths frustrating in this game.

It's really not fun having a great run and taking great pains to ensure you're in a totally safe/secure position then waiting it out and making it to the top 10-20 only to hear a pop and die suddenly. Really not fun. Alleviated by being able to jump straight into another game - but still.

I still think on Solo (or once the rest of your squad is dead in Squad) the camera should show you where you were killed from. Just to give you some sort of 'here's what you should have been paying attention to' vibe.

Failing that a 'hit direction' indicator would help. It's actually unrealistic not having one - IRL you'd definitely know where a bullet was coming from if it hit you.

I can't wait for first person only servers, I'd love to use it all the time but its such a huge disadvantage

They're already there, just rare and often empty. Click on 'custom' at the bottom of the 'Ready'/'Play' menu.

Yeah while vaulting will be great, jumping through windows is going to be insane, now you have to be more attentive than ever.

You could have someone surrounded in a house and they can get the drop on you in the blink of an eye.

Wait, is that confirmed to be coming in?

Because holy shit.

Literally my biggest complaints atm are:
- too many aiming options, servers should be FPS or TPS only and not let you switch (ironsights and driving aside)
- mobility still feels too ArmA - clunky, bumpy, not much good control (just being able to jump lamely, not vault/climb/clamber, etc)

If they're already on record saying they're looking at movement and control... we're in for a treat!

Loving the game so far, but anyone else get video memory errors? I have an i5 4690K, 16 gig of RAM and a 1080ti so I don't think it's my system.

Late response, but I have exactly the same rig (albeit a 1080 OG rather than 1080ti) and have not had a single error.

Things I'd like to see in some form:

50v50 or other large scale team options. The way some of the streamers handle this is interesting but impractical (shirts vs skins).

A hit detector. By the time I realize where I'm taking fire from, I'm dead. I've got pretty good spatial awareness, but after a dumb brain surgery I lost some sight in my left eye and my left hearing completely. Localizing sound quickly isn't possible. Some frustrating deaths this way for sure.

Some type of quick play. I dig the main event- sure- but it'd be nice to have some kind of option to hop into a match with access to okay gear,on the ground. Maybe team based spawners- or some kind of dodgeball type setting?. I might be asking for more than what the game is though. I just want to spend more time with it, it just isn't a pick up and play affair and playing for 20-50minutes to die by someone in a bush isn't what I want to do before work lol.

As stated before- the movement options will increase the speed of the game. Getting stuck on fences and such is obnoxious so those things are very much appreciated.

SomTervo

Things I'd like to see in some form:

50v50 or other large scale team options. The way some of the streamers handle this is interesting but impractical (shirts vs skins).

A hit detector. By the time I realize where I'm taking fire from, I'm dead. I've got pretty good spatial awareness, but after a dumb brain surgery I lost some sight in my left eye and my left hearing completely. Localizing sound quickly isn't possible. Some frustrating deaths this way for sure.

Some type of quick play. I dig the main event- sure- but it'd be nice to have some kind of option to hop into a match with access to okay gear,on the ground. Maybe team based spawners- or some kind of dodgeball type setting?. I might be asking for more than what the game is though. I just want to spend more time with it, it just isn't a pick up and play affair and playing for 20-50minutes to die by someone in a bush isn't what I want to do before work lol.

As stated before- the movement options will increase the speed of the game. Getting stuck on fences and such is obnoxious so those things are very much appreciated.

Agreed on all.

Sorry to hear about the surgery - let's hope they deffo patch in an (even subtle) hit indicator.

jediyoshi

Literally my biggest complaints atm are:
- too many aiming options, servers should be FPS or TPS only and not let you switch (ironsights and driving aside)

Aside from ironsights? What specifically are the aiming options you want the standard game limited to? If you're in a third person match, why would someone having the ability to switch to first person affect you?

Grassy

Not quite on board with the people saying they never find deaths frustrating in this game.

It's really not fun having a great run and taking great pains to ensure you're in a totally safe/secure position then waiting it out and making it to the top 10-20 only to hear a pop and die suddenly. Really not fun. Alleviated by being able to jump straight into another game - but still.

I still think on Solo (or once the rest of your squad is dead in Squad) the camera should show you where you were killed from. Just to give you some sort of 'here's what you should have been paying attention to' vibe.

Failing that a 'hit direction' indicator would help. It's actually unrealistic not having one - IRL you'd definitely know where a bullet was coming from if it hit you.

I'm at the point where a #2 or #3 finish is pretty damn frustrating, if only because I haven't had a top 10 death that wasn't my own dumb-arse fault. I always push too early or too late, shoot someone I don't need to etc...

One thing I've gotten really good at is spotting other players, I very rarely die to anyone now without at least seeing them after they've started shooting at me. It was really annoying early-on being "shot from nowhere".
However, a kill-cam like in CS:GO where you can watch a replay from your killer's POV would be a great addition to this game. Also being able to spectate a match after you die would be great, although obviously they'd have to set it up so you couldn't "ghost" other players for your team-mates, which kind of defeats the purpose I guess...not sure how it'd work, maybe just for Solo-mode only.

Smokey

The plane came into the map at an angle where it went over the starting island. So I waited for it to get to land, jumped, out, and parachuted as far as i could, then swam the rest of the way to the island. Kind of creepy being the only one there, and I have a thing with deep water, so that was weird swimming for minutes. Finally made it with like 1 min left before the playzone restricted. Found 2 energy drinks and that sustained me until there were about 53 people left, and I finally died. Served no purpose, but it was interesting!

First chicken dinner. Did it in squad with my college buddies.

LMG & 8x scope.

7 kills. Still buzzing.

That is one of the best feelings in a video game.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

DDONuD8XUAEu3uy.jpg:small

TBF, I was lucky as I was camped in a building that was in the circle for 5+ rounds while people where picking each other off.

Final circle I left and got the jump on two guys. Went inside the sole building and got the last dude who came soon after.

My body is so pumped rn. I never expected to get a chicken dinner in less than 4 days.

There's a discord link in the OP if you quote it. Not sure if it still works, though.

Found it. Thanks.

Burt

This game

Should not

Have

Friendly fire

99.5% of the time it's pure toxicity.

I've never shot a friendly, and only been shot accidently by one once when they said that my nametag wasn't displaying because of lag and they apologize.

Sure, friendly fire makes sense in a game about 'realistic bullet physics', but really, it doesn't make any sense.

JDB

Banned
This game

Should not

Have

Friendly fire

I've never shot a friendly, and only been shot accidently by one once when they said that my nametag wasn't displaying because of lag and they apologize.

Sure, friendly fire makes sense in a game about 'realistic bullet physics', but really, it doesn't make any sense.
No, it should just have penalties for people who do too much friendly fire and kill too many teammates in a certain amount of time. If friendly fire is gone what's stopping a group from grenading the hell out of a building while a teammate casually walks in unaffected by the explosions?

In the meantime I suggest just playing with people you know instead of randoms. That's always going to be a crapshoot no matter what game.

Ark

Won three games in a row last night. Two duos and one squad match. Many fantastic matches yesterday, actually.

I can't believe how smooth the game is for me now after last week's patch. I can definitely feel the difference, and I can't wait for the monthly update this week! Here's hoping the weather update makes it into this latch.

Blizzard

Banned
The plane came into the map at an angle where it went over the starting island. So I waited for it to get to land, jumped, out, and parachuted as far as i could, then swam the rest of the way to the island. Kind of creepy being the only one there, and I have a thing with deep water, so that was weird swimming for minutes. Finally made it with like 1 min left before the playzone restricted. Found 2 energy drinks and that sustained me until there were about 53 people left, and I finally died. Served no purpose, but it was interesting!
Sometimes there is decent gear, like level 2-3 stuff. You pretty much have to land on the northeast mainland coast and immediately jump in a boat though. On rare occasions someone else may grab a different boat and fight you for the island, but usually it's safe.

This game

Should not

Have

Friendly fire

I respectfully disagree. I have only been killed by a griefer once, and friendly fire is basically your only balance against racist etc. teammates. The one time I used it, my teammate was using racial slurs etc. They got checked and balanced out of the team as soon as I got equipped.

Also it would be unfair for grenades as mentioned above. If it ever becomes a widespread problem, something that detects frequent teamkillers should be fine.

Two Words

Yeah while vaulting will be great, jumping through windows is going to be insane, now you have to be more attentive than ever.

You could have someone surrounded in a house and they can get the drop on you in the blink of an eye.
I'm guessing there will be a long animation to it so you can't exploit it.

Smokey

Sometimes there is decent gear, like level 2-3 stuff. You pretty much have to land on the northeast mainland coast and immediately jump in a boat though. On rare occasions someone else may grab a different boat and fight you for the island, but usually it's safe.

I respectfully disagree. I have only been killed by a griefer once, and friendly fire is basically your only balance against racist etc. teammates. The one time I used it, my teammate was using racial slurs etc. They got checked and balanced out of the team as soon as I got equipped.

Also it would be unfair for grenades as mentioned above. If it ever becomes a widespread problem, something that detects frequent teamkillers should be fine.

I...never thought about the boats. In fact I usually don't land by the coast so I hardly, if ever, see them.

Nymerio

Vaulting is going to be amazing, especially jumping through windows. I'd also like to see the ability to rush through doors, like if you sprint straight at a door you should be able to barrel through it, maybe take a bit of damage and destroy the door. Some qol for interacting with doors would also be nice, like if you hold F when opening a door it keeps it open and once you moved through and release the key it automatically closes it behind you. I think that would make it feel a lot less clunky.

Lemrik

Neo Member
Bought the game 2 days ago and it´s really good! Having a lot of fun.

About 5 hours in and best placement was #20. Only played solo so far.

Wardancer

Neo Member
This game

Should not

Have

Friendly fire

Uh the game should absolutely definitely have friendly fire any anything else would be absurd. Especially for grenades.

But people actually join random squads?

Wuiji

Uh the game should absolutely definitely have friendly fire any anything else would be absurd. Especially for grenades.

But people actually join random squads?

So far all but one of my chicken dinners have been with random squads, I've had 2-3 cases of idiot team killers, but for the most part it's been great. Lots of communication, everybody helping each other out, dropping ammo/attachments/health. Coming to your rescue when you're outnumbered. I'm loving it.

SomTervo

Aside from ironsights? What specifically are the aiming options you want the standard game limited to? If you're in a third person match, why would someone having the ability to switch to first person affect you?

It's about design elegance, not so much 'limiting' the players. I think the options are basically redundant and aren't tightly designed for the gameplay loop. They fluff the gameplay. All the options feel like an ArmA hangover - loads and loads of choices to meet the 'simulation' remit, without a tight focus on gameplay design. My thinking is:

In standard: third-person is default, and there is literally 0 benefit to ever using the FPS perspective for the core gameplay loop (situational awareness). The only remote use for FPS is when you camp in a bush, and even then your situational awareness is whacked, you're better using TPS until you're going to shoot. The exception is ironsights because you need to scope with your weapon for utmost accuracy. But that's not the same as the full 'FPS' switch option so doesn't really fit the convo. Standard mode would lose nothing from cutting FPS altogether. In fact, it would ensure everyone is on completely the same footing all the time and would reduce feature bloat.

In a first person only mode: the viewpoint is forced, so everyone is on the same page in terms of situational awareness, and nobody needs to worry about TPS peering around corners. The exception is driving because third person while you're in a car is a useful gameplay mechanic to stop players driving off blind cliffs etc, but isn't as necessary as scoping above.

TL;DR: PUBG's standard game mode should be forced TPS only (except for scoping/ironsighting on right click which is necessity), and there should be a playlist option for FPS which is forced FPS only with no TPS switch option.

It's a question of design elegance - keep things tight, keep all players completely on the same footing, don't waffle the mechanics with multiple options.

jediyoshi

It's about design elegance, not so much 'limiting' the players. I think the options are basically redundant and aren't tightly designed for the gameplay loop. They fluff the gameplay. All the options feel like an ArmA hangover - loads and loads of choices to meet the 'simulation' remit, without a tight focus on gameplay design. My thinking is:

In standard: third-person is default, and there is literally 0 benefit to ever using the FPS perspective for the core gameplay loop (situational awareness). The only remote use for FPS is when you camp in a bush, and even then your situational awareness is whacked, you're better using TPS until you're going to shoot. The exception is ironsights because you need to scope with your weapon for utmost accuracy. But that's not the same as the full 'FPS' switch option so doesn't really fit the convo. Standard mode would lose nothing from cutting FPS altogether. In fact, it would ensure everyone is on completely the same footing all the time and would reduce feature bloat.

In a first person only mode: the viewpoint is forced, so everyone is on the same page in terms of situational awareness, and nobody needs to worry about TPS peering around corners. The exception is driving because third person while you're in a car is a useful gameplay mechanic to stop players driving off blind cliffs etc, but isn't as necessary as scoping above.

TL;DR: PUBG's standard game mode should be forced TPS only (except for scoping/ironsighting on right click which is necessity), and there should be a playlist option for FPS which is forced FPS only with no TPS switch option.

It's a question of design elegance - keep things tight, keep all players completely on the same footing, don't waffle the mechanics with multiple options.

To clarify, are you saying it's currently a significant issue right now that the average person is actively cognizant about the fact they can switch and that somehow eventually leads itself to being a flaw in the experience? Or are you looking at it in a vacuum purely from a design perspective without any actual affect its having on players?

The flipside to saying cutting it would have no affect is saying that keeping it has no affect. I'm not even sure where you draw the line in ensuring "everyone is completely on the same footing" by way of feature removal, should they remove swapping shoulders in third person as well? That actually has a heavy gameplay implication, but is almost entirely dictated by the arbitrary nature of the predetermined shoulder that was chosen. Is the in-elegance of ideally swapping shoulders during combat but many players not actually doing it more or less of an issue because its likewise unintuitive and not elegant?

SomTervo

To clarify, are you saying it's currently a significant issue right now that the average person is actively cognizant about the fact they can switch and that somehow eventually leads itself to being a flaw in the experience? Or are you looking at it in a vacuum purely from a design perspective without any actual affect its having on players?

The flipside to saying cutting it would have no affect is saying that keeping it has no affect. I'm not even sure where you draw the line in ensuring "everyone is completely on the same footing" by way of feature removal, should they remove swapping shoulders in third person as well? That actually has a heavy gameplay implication, but is almost entirely dictated by the arbitrary nature of the predetermined shoulder that was chosen. Is the in-elegance of ideally swapping shoulders during combat but many players not actually doing it more or less of an issue because its likewise unintuitive and not elegant?

No, I never said it's a significant issue to the average person. I think it's a consideration, which has certainly impacted my experience, but probably not for most people. (And "cognizant" – you and I have spoken about this before and you used the exact same obtuse word!)

Shoulder swapping is awkward but OK. I'd prefer it be gone too but it is a lot more useful than FPS.

I think I put it pretty clearly: this is about elegance, not 'redefining' the gameplay. The game's in Early Access – I'm suggesting a way they could make the design even more lean before release. It's an Occam's razor issue: trim everything that can be trimmed - make the fewest assumptions. In the standard game mode as it is right now, the assumption is that people can be in TPS or in FPS. But FPS is redundant, it is useless in 99% of a standard game's gameplay. Cut it. It is a redundant assumption.

IMO what I'm describing is just elegant game design. I'm not saying it would completely overhaul the 'average player's experience. I'm saying good game design would dictate you trim that option away to keep everything tight and focused. Everyone is in third-person. End of. (Unless you're in an FPS match.)

As I mentioned, it legitimately bothers me but probably doesn't impact most people. It would save players ever having to dedicate any headspace to even considering the V button at all, or which perspective to use, but yes that is probably a (very) rare issue. Ideally and theoretically, it would keep everyone focused on playing the game with its tighter rule set (people can see around corners). Again, single-right-clicking is fine to give you scope/ironsights.

Like many of the weird controls and game systems (rubbish jumping, rubbish falling, loads of aiming options, etc) it feels like a hangover from the full-milsim that is ArmA. It's not appropriate to a game with a tight and focused gameplay loop like PUBG.

Wardancer

Neo Member
No, I never said it's a significant issue to the average person. I think it's a consideration, which has certainly impacted my experience, but probably not for most people. (And "cognizant" – you and I have spoken about this before and you used the exact same obtuse word!)

Shoulder swapping is awkward but OK. I'd prefer it be gone too but it is a lot more useful than FPS.

I think I put it pretty clearly: this is about elegance, not 'redefining' the gameplay. The game's in Early Access – I'm suggesting a way they could make the design even more lean before release. It's an Occam's razor issue: trim everything that can be trimmed - make the fewest assumptions. In the standard game mode as it is right now, the assumption is that people can be in TPS or in FPS. But FPS is redundant, it is useless in 99% of a standard game's gameplay. Cut it. It is a redundant assumption.

IMO what I'm describing is just elegant game design. I'm not saying it would completely overhaul the 'average player's experience. I'm saying good game design would dictate you trim that option away to keep everything tight and focused. Everyone is in third-person. End of. (Unless you're in an FPS match.)

As I mentioned, it legitimately bothers me but probably doesn't impact most people. It would save players ever having to dedicate any headspace to even considering the V button at all, or which perspective to use, but yes that is probably a (very) rare issue. Ideally and theoretically, it would keep everyone focused on playing the game with its tighter rule set (people can see around corners). Again, single-right-clicking is fine to give you scope/ironsights.

Like many of the weird controls and game systems (rubbish jumping, rubbish falling, etc) it feels like a hangover from the full-milsim that is ArmA. It's not appropriate to a game with a tight and focused gameplay loop like PUBG.

Remove shoulder swapping o_O Thats essential in third person shooters. No TPS should ever be allowed to be released without shoulder swapping. In fact the shoulder swapping in this game needs to be improved so it swaps the normal running around shoulder too and not just when aiming.

As for the rest I disagree that first person needs to be removed, it has its uses in certain situations. Ands thats all it does really, gives users an option to adapt their camera for specific situations where third person is awkward (all tight quarters can have that issue). Camera options are always nice to have and some people prefer to use them over other options even if they aren't the "best". Its like driving games, some people prefer third person, some bumper cam and you would never really see anyone advocate for either being removed.

SomTervo

Remove shoulder swapping o_O Thats essential in third person shooters. No TPS should ever be allowed to be released without shoulder swapping. In fact the shoulder swapping in this game needs to be improved so it swaps the normal running around shoulder too and not just when aiming.

Yeah, that's why I said it's OK. It's not a biggie. It's definitely much more important than the FPS option.

I guess I don't like how it's implemented - that pressing Q/E does nothing at default view but alters your 'aiming' view. I've legit been killed because I thought I was aiming over right shoulder then I press Right Mouse and aim over left shoulder and my shot is obscured.

As for the rest I disagree that first person needs to be removed, it has its uses in certain situations. Ands thats all it does really, gives users an option to adapt their camera for specific situations where third person is awkward (all tight quarters can have that issue). Camera options are always nice to have and some people prefer to use them over other options even if they aren't the "best". Its like driving games, some people prefer third person, some bumper cam and you would never really see anyone advocate for either being removed.

Again, it's not that it needs to be removed. I just think it's elegant game design to remove it. Make this a pure tactical TPS, with some FPS servers. Because that's how the game is played 99.9% of the time.

It's a question of bloat. Camera options are nice to have, yes, but if you include everything in a game that's 'nice to have' you'll just be adding countless features that aren't necessarily important, making the game's design messy. This isn't a milsim, you don't need options for every possible configuration of gameplay and experience. The FPS option, IMO, bloats/fluffs this game's design, which should be tight. Make it pure TPS. The FPS option isn't important.

Literally the only situation i think FPS is useful on normal servers is when you're sitting in a bush (when the view of your character and directly ahead is obscured). Is there literally any other useful scenario?

In the 'bush' scenario, removing FPS would actually balance the game even more - making players more careful about hiding in bushes (ensuring they have clear view and clear shot etc). You'd have to rely on ADS to have clear view.

I don't think FPS mode should exist in separate official servers either. Down the line it just might segment the playerbase enough to make finding games harder.

Bread

Banned
So far all but one of my chicken dinners have been with random squads, I've had 2-3 cases of idiot team killers, but for the most part it's been great. Lots of communication, everybody helping each other out, dropping ammo/attachments/health. Coming to your rescue when you're outnumbered. I'm loving it.
praise brent

Bossniak

I've just been playing 5s with randoms after the first stats wipe. Got 5 wins and way more fun than solos.

I'm waiting for this months big update to start solos again.

Bread

Banned
Wait, did I win one with you guys as well? All but two then.
yeah i believe it was the round we were in pochinki and brent pulled the drop from the roof onto the balcony to kill that guy then crawled in the field to win it, you were there for that right?

SomTervo

I don't think FPS mode should exist in separate official servers either. Down the line it just might segment the playerbase enough to make finding games harder.

Not a bad point, but the player base is so giant at this stage it's pretty hard to segment it that drastically.

I think FPS servers are a legit good idea, considering the mechanics and framework are already totally in place.

I just don't think both TPS and FPS should be in matches simultaneously.

I've just been playing 5s with randoms after the first stats wipe. Got 5 wins and way more fun than solos.

I'm waiting for this months big update to start solos again.

Oh, cool. I've never been interested in any squad games with randoms but maybe I should give it a try.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/2533687504390275860

Loot Balance - First Pass - Changelog

Care Package

• New weapon, the Groza, was added. This weapon may only be acquired in Care Packages.
  • VSS will no longer be found in Care Packages. It will remain to be spawned in the map.
  • At a low probability, you will be able to acquire AR Silencers and SR Silencers in Care Packages.
  • At a low probability, you will be able to acquire 4x Scopes in Care Packages.

World Spawn

• New weapon, a 9mm pistol with full auto mode, the P18C, was added.
  • Spawn rate of SCAR-L was decreased to better fit the weapon’s tier.
  • Spawn rate of UMP was slightly decreased.
  • Spawn rate of UZI was slightly increased.
  • Level 1 Helmet was being spawned at a much higher rate than the Level 1 Vest, and the spawn rate was adjusted so that both items will be spawned at a similar rate.

ump noooooooooooooo

Top Bottom