• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you get into videogames?

KorrZ

When I was young we lived at my grandparents house with my uncle. My uncle was into games and had Sega Genesis and later Saturn / PS1. I have memories of watching him play Tomb Raider when I was really young.

At some point when I was a bit older he gave me his Genesis and I played a lot of Sonic and from then on it was all about games. They were all I ever wanted for my birthday, Christmas whatever.

odhiex

My first handheld (1st videogame experience) was the Casio's Air force fighter.

My first console was NES, but I saw the SEGA Master System being played before.

Aleh

I'm not sure how old I was, maybe 4 or 5, my parents had bought one of my sisters a GameBoy with Pokémon Blue for Christmas and I ended up playing it even more than them in the end, and that's where it all began. Wish I could remember more about those years though.

Stainless

When I was much younger my Dad hosted a bulletin board system and the members all played these text based war games sort of like "risk" or an RTS. I remember seeing the players dial in to his computer/bbs and their selections would scroll...then I'd watch my Dad enter his moves, purchases in the "game" also whenever he took his turns.
But the real switch flipped when he started bringing me home floppy disks from work of games like the black cauldron, king's quest, Tapper, etc, and I got to use his computer and interact with them. My Dad always encouraged me to use computers so I would play games on his whenever he wasn't messing with his bbs or otherwise needing it. Some of these were on multiple disks of course and it was exciting to me when I would get the message to enter the next disk.

He also bought us an atari 2600 later. I remember my sister, our neighborhood friends and I would play so much Space Invaders and Asteroids. We would sometimes have tournaments or days when there were 10 or so of us just taking turns trying to oust the person with the highest score, etc. Such good memories. I'm 45 yrs old now and my Dad has never been into games other than chess, but I certainly credit him with being the catalyst of my enjoyment of them.

tldr- dad gave me stuff that was interactive because I was usually not entertained otherwise

Dueck

Banned
Boring story: they were just kind of there so I played them. My neighbours and cousins had either ColecoVision or NES, and it was fun. We moved when I was about 5, and then my dad bought me an NES once we had arrived at our new destination. I always liked them, but was never obsessed with them until the N64 launch. Things spiraled out of control from there, for lack of a better term. Apart from a small gap in interest during 2003, there weren't any major dips in interest.

Omerta

Sinclair ZX Spectrum+2. Great memories playing on that.

I have great memories of playing in my spectrum +3 with a build in disc drive :)

Jet set Willy 3 was the first video game I remember. Had me hooked...

From then, I (for some reason) got a Master System instead of a SNES.

My grandparents had an oldschool PONG system, and upgraded to a Nintendo when they moved to Canada, as my grandfather was interested in electrical engineering.

What sealed the deal was when my Dad bought me an original Gameboy. It wasn't until I was much older that I realized how expensive the thing was. My family had never been wealthy, and relied on food stamps reluctantly more than once. Him spending what was probably a big chunk of his monthly earnings.

StargazerXL

Parents dropped me off at someone's house one night when they went out on the town. That someone had a Pong game. Must have been '76? I was transfixed.

Came across a Space Invaders cabinet at a local pool hall, probably '78. I was transfixed.

ColecoVision came out. Had to have it, and did get it for Christmas '82. I was transfixed.

Niece got The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past for SNES for Christmas '91. I was transfixed.

Blundered across a Nintendo 64 kiosk in a Blockbuster with Super Mario 64 in 1996. I was transfixed.

Family member had Hanimex Pong was the first time I played.

Arcades were what really hooked me, though.

Occasionally my brother and I would go to the local library and play one of the Atari 2600s they had.

Eventually we got a family C64 at home.

I got my own Amiga 500 when I started uni and then my first console was a SNES.

DeSolos

I watched my Dad play the shareware version of Doom when I was like 3.

My first console was a hand-me-down NES and I later got a hand-me-down Genesis. My first console bought just for me was an N64, but it wasn't until the PS2 that I really got invested in gaming, as a result of FF and KH specifically. In the case of FF it was specifically because the PS2 was backwards compatible that it was possible for me to dive deep into the PS1 releases. I was a kid and the games were old and cheap. When I finished one game I'd hit up Toys-R-Us and I'd get another world class JRPG for $10.

RetroMG

My brother had a lot of PC games growing up, but they were too hard for me. (Original King's Quest, for one. I couldn't get past the bridge.) When I was in first grade, my friend Pete had an NES and Legend of Zelda. I was hooked from then on.

Funny side note, my sister's first-grade son wanted to play with the Switch the other night, and asked me to load up Breath of the Wild. My sister (jokingly) said, "No! I went through my childhood constantly having to listen to you talk about Zelda, you're not getting my son hooked on it, too!" :p

Anbec7

I was around 5-6 and my older brother had the SNES. The rest is history, my dad complained that he would have never bought the SNES if he knew I would take the hobby like this. Now my family just rolls with it and they even tell me what game I want (yes!) sometimes.

The magic at the moment was playing Megaman X, Magical Quest (The mickey Mouse game), Super Metroid, TMNT Side scroller game, Street Fighter, Super Mario Land. I really liked it and since I was mostly sickly as a child and we moved a lot I found out something to do with my older brother, good times!

rolandss

It's my parent's fault, we had consoles in the house as long as I can remember from the NES onward. My dad was also into PCs and some of my earliest memories of gaming involve playing old Sierra games, Command & Conquer, Crusader: No Remorse and others on his computer.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Pong and it's variants were popular among families and even non gamers back in the late 70s as everyone thought it would be the new family entertainment (which it kinda is) so that was my first experience with games.

Some of my earliest memories ever involve videogames...so it's hard to say how I got into them. I think I've been playing them all my life...I don't remember which game was my first ever or what platform either.

Animagne

Wasn't the first game I played, but I really got into gaming when I tried out tekken 3 on demo disc at relatives house. I knew I wanted to play more of it, so I went to a nearest arcade that had consoles there (most arcades around were quite outdated) and spent there next 4 years until I actually got ps1 of my own.

Nydius

My parents had an Atari 2600 so my first memories of gaming were of playing Combat, Berzerk, Pac-Man, Super Breakout, and Canyon Bomber. Still think River Raid was GOAT Atari 2600 game.

Before the NES came out here (and before my parents got me one), I stuck with that Atari 2600 and dropping quarters at the local Putt-Putt Golf and Games arcade whenever I could convince my parents to take me there during the weekend. First game I ever saved my allowance for was the terrible Pole Position port for Atari. I also had an old Texas Instruments TI-99/4A which basically existed just for me to play Hunt the Wumpus and Alpiner. Then a Commodore 64 which got lots of use with text based games, the Carmen Sandiego series, and The Oregon Trail.

Gaming has pretty much been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. I remember when my parents' Atari 2600 finally crapped out in the late 1990s. It was a sad day.

dcx4610

I honestly don't know and I wish I did. I know I ended up with an Atari 2600 Jr. console when I was around 5 years old. My parents weren't into tech and I have no recollection on what made me ask for it. I still remember the red box and the 49.99 price tag.

I loved it and played it every day but when my cousin got an NES (which I had no idea what it was and had never heard of it), that was life changing and hooked me on games forever.

Prophane33

Some time in 1987 an older neighbor gave me their Atari 2600, maybe a year later I got a hand-me-down Colecovision when said neighbor got a NES. I was obsessed with owning an NES and would read this new magazine called Nintendo Power, eventually got one on Christmas day 1989. From that point on I was a video game fanatic.

My brother and older cousin got me into it. I don't remember what the first game I got hooked in but it was either Pokemon Yellow, Super Mario 64, or Super Mario World because they kept playing it when I was around and I naturally wanted to try too. Pokemon Yellow was really cool cause my older brother let me share his game file with me and I remember when he showed me his progess into Elite Four. Back then, he usually didn't share stuff with me.

SephLuis

My earliest memories are from playing Mega Drive that had SF II and Sonic 3. I also had a cousin with Super Nintendo and Super Mario World.

From there, I got my first videogame that was the N64

According to my older sister, however, I have been playing since I was in diapers.
And apparently, I managed to knock her out using a toy broom for losing in SF II. Competitive player since forever.

Bioshocker

Everyone had a NES. My brother bought a Master System for some reason. And then the Mega Drive, which I inherited. Of course I ended up a Sega fanboy. I probably would have bought a console myself anyway because I remember being very interested in both GameBoy and SNES. The first console I bought with my own money was the Saturn. Trying times.

yansolo

I used to watch my cousin play his Amstrad pc back in the day, first console my parents bought me was a sega master system with Alexx kidd installed on it. Man I loved that system, always thought it better than the NES.

Had a SNES after that, but of course everything changed when my parents bought me a PSX for my 10th birthday back in 98

I watched my babysitter play Mario when I was like 4 and I fell in love. Asked my mom for an NES the next day and I had one at Christmas that year.

KageMaru

My friend had a 2600 and my babysitter had a NES. Started gaming on these two when I was about 4 or 5 and the rest was history.

StarPhlox

I got in at just the right time since my older bros had an Atari 2600, an NES, then when I was 3 or 4 we got a Genesis. Had a lot of classic games as a kid that I'm very thankful for.

uceenk

there was arcade near my home, i played Street Fighter 2 and Final Fight all the time

later my dad bought me SNES

mindatlarge

I was 5 or 6 and I went over to the neighbor girl's house. They had an Atari and a few games, I don't recall which games we played but from that point on I really started to gravitate towards video games, arcades mostly since my parents weren't sold on owning a console. It wasn't until many years later that we saved up enough money, my mom gave in, and we purchased an NES.

UncleMeat

My dad had an Atari from before I was born. Then my "cool" older cousins had nes. Also arcades were a thing. Atari was the first though: Space Ivaders, Dig Dug, Pacman and of course the goat - River Raid.

My parents had an Atari 2600 so my first memories of gaming were of playing Combat, Berzerk, Pac-Man, Super Breakout, and Canyon Bomber. Still think River Raid was GOAT Atari 2600 game.

Fuck ya it was!

Marceles

My mom bought me an Atari 7800 when I was like 4 years old. I have no idea how my mom knew about video games or anything, but I used to play Ms. Pac Man, Pole Position and Donkey Kong Jr. all the time. My cousin had the 2600, so maybe that's where she got the idea from, but it's random now that I think about it.

Later on she bought me an NES and the rest is history.

Lulubop

Some of my earliest childhood memories were of watching my Mom play R-Type, Gradius and Earth Defense Force on the SNES. Kinda just went from there.

My parents bought my brothers and I an NES when I was 4. A few years later Santa had a Sega Genesis waiting for us under the tree. The rest is history.

My older brother was really into videogames when I was a kid, so I got into them through his SNES. He eventually gave it to me and I kept playing. We also got an N64 from my aunt and uncle, so my sisters and I spent a lot of time playing Mario 64. I'm the only one who really plays beyond iOS games now though.

My dad invited me to try Mechwarrior 2 with him on his brand new IBM Aptiva PC. I must have been 5 or 6 at the time, so I mostly just watched. A few months later he brought home a Sega Genesis, and despite never being able to get past the wildebeest stampede level in The Lion King, here I am two decades later still gaming away.

I had an awesome uncle that grew up in the 70s and was into Star Wars and Atari and had an nes and a PC. I was born in 1982. The first video game he showed me was Pole Posistion on the 2600. I have vivid memories of that console. PP, PITFALL etc. we also used to dial into the BBS at UCLA and download games for his computer. This was before the proper internet. I was fascinated by all of it. Then came the nes. We played Zelda every weekend and I would draw maps and help! With that it just spread like wildfire and I've been an avid gamer my entire life.

We continued the tradition from the Zelda days! Every summer I would spend 2-3 months at his house and we played Games. Link to the past, Mario 64, Tomb Raider, Diablo 1 and 2, Blood on PC. eventually Everquest!

I also remember wave race 64. We would try and beat each other's stunt scores and would mail the cartridge back and forth.

Such good memories.

Thanks Uncle!

Top Bottom