• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 GM leak, new info from 9to5mac (Face ID, Animoji, LTE Watch, True Tone, etc.)

F34R

True Tone was a total bust on the iPad personally.

Had it on the first day, turned it off and the screen looked much better. Never turned it on again.

I've used it since getting the iPad Pro 10.5, and haven't turned it off. Can't go back. When using my iPhone 7 Plus, it looks out of place compared to my True Tone display on the iPad.

Crazyorloco

Anyone with the iPhone 7 plus and have Dev iOS 11? Does it have the updated portrait mode features? Or will that be only for the 8 plus and up?

Quick

Banned
Installed the GM on my iPhone 6.

It runs alright, though I did experience some lagging at the start and my phone was feeling a little too hot. It's cooled down and back to normal since I rebooted it. I also briefly turned on Reduce Motion, but I turned it back off now.

hirokazu

I think it's an option within the photos app, not the camera. You have to start an edit.
It's in both the Camera and the Photos app. They specifically said it uses the A11's AI features to analyse the portrait and apply the effect. I'd say the 7 Plus handle doing it afterwards in the Photos app if it can't do it live, but hey, they gotta keep some stuff exclusive to the new phones.

I think it's an option within the photos app, not the camera. You have to start an edit.

It's in both the Camera and the Photos app. They specifically said it uses the A11's AI features to analyse the portrait and apply the effect. I'd say the 7 Plus handle doing it afterwards in the Photos app if it can't do it live, but hey, they gotta keep some stuff exclusive to the new phones.

I don’t have an edit option for Live Photos either

hirokazu

Excuse me, I meant portrait mode. If I take a fresh portrait picture I can’t edit the lighting, nor can I go back and edit it and mess with the lighting
Yeah, that's expected. It's not available for 7 Plus at all. My previous post was saying even though it should be technically possible to do it in post for 7 Plus, I wouldn't be surprised that Apple has just made the whole thing exclusive to the 8 Plus and X instead.

Mafro

Installed the GM last night on my 7 Plus. What have they done to the music controls on the lock screen?

KJt7EQr.png

Much preferred the large album art.

The new Control Centre is nice but everything you can customise it with other than the defaults is stuff I literally never use.

What's with the big bit of empty space at the top of the Messages app? Is this the design suffering on other phones because of the notch on the X?

I like the new background animation when opining and closing an app.

Glad signal bars are back instead of those dots.

Dunno what they've done but the default screen brightness seems a lot brighter?

I guess I’ll ask this question here. Did they get rid of slide over? I see it mentioned in the settings but it doesn’t work for me at all. I’m trying to swipe from the right edge but nothing happens. Also, how my supposed to open links in new tags? I hold my finger down and it wiggles and pops out but it doesn’t give me the menu to open in a new tab. Are these bugs?

Wait, I got the tab thing working... but now I have to hold down a link for three damn seconds to open it in a new tab. What the hell?

All these gestures seen worse. Four or five finger swipe up isn’t activating the app switcher for me anymore. The only gesture that works is five finger swipe left or right to move between apps, except if you are in settings and then none of the gesture and work. What the hell did they do?

Some of my bookmarklets no longer work like they used to... sigh. What a mess.

cjp

I guess I’ll ask this question here. Did they get rid of slide over? I see it mentioned in the settings but it doesn’t work for me at all. I’m trying to swipe from the right edge but nothing happens. Also, how my supposed to open links in new tags? I hold my finger down and it wiggles and pops out but it doesn’t give me the menu to open in a new tab. Are these bugs?

All these gestures seen worse. Four or five finger swipe up isn’t activating the app switcher for me anymore. The only gesture that works is five finger swipe left or right to move between apps, except if you are in settings and then none of the gesture and work. What the hell did they do?

Slide over isn't gone. In fact, it's improved as you now can interact with both the main app and the one that's in slide over at the same time.

Links in new tabs: keep holding after it pops out and the standard menu should show or just tap the link with two fingers and it'll open in the background

For the swipe up I've found that you need to swipe up much further than before. I'm still not quite used to that one yet

Got the beta profile on my iPhone 7 Plus and my Series 0 Watch but for some reason the watchOS 4 GM isn't showing up for my watch.

Slide over isn't gone. In fact, it's improved as you now can interact with both the main app and the one that's in slide over at the same time.

Links in new tabs: keep holding after it pops out and the standard menu should show or just tap the link with two fingers and it'll open in the background

For the swipe up I've found that you need to swipe up much further than before. I'm still not quite used to that one yet
Slide over just isn’t activating for me then. I’m swiping from the right edge and absolutely nothing is happening. And all the five finger gestures are really inconsistent for me. Five finger swipe up is doing nothing as well. I guess I’ll just have to retrain my brain to two finger tap for opening links since the three second wait now for the sheet to pop up is totally unacceptable.

This might be the worse GM I’ve used since maybe 5? Bleh.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Slide over just isn’t activating for me then. I’m swiping from the right edge and absolutely nothing is happening. And all the five finger gestures are really inconsistent for me. Five finger swipe up is doing nothing as well. I guess I’ll just have to retrain my brain to two finger tap for opening links since the three second wait now for the sheet to pop up is totally unacceptable.

This might be the worse GM I’ve used since maybe 5? Bleh.

Try a restart?

erawsd

Wait, I got the tab thing working... but now I have to hold down a link for three damn seconds to open it in a new tab. What the hell?

You might want to try rebooting or even reinstalling because all of those gestures and slide over are working on my devices.

mf.luder

I’m on GM and I’m still experiencing a bug with the music app. When I lock the phone, the music widget on the lock screen is blank and doesn’t respond to touch. Might do a full restore once it launches.

cjp

Slide over just isn't activating for me then. I'm swiping from the right edge and absolutely nothing is happening. And all the five finger gestures are really inconsistent for me. Five finger swipe up is doing nothing as well. I guess I'll just have to retrain my brain to two finger tap for opening links since the three second wait now for the sheet to pop up is totally unacceptable.

This might be the worse GM I've used since maybe 5? Bleh.

Have you put an app into multitasking?

Open something and then bring up the dock. Tap and hold an app icon and then drag it onto either the left or right side of the screen.

Slide over doesn't work in the same way where you invoke it and then swipe down to get a list of split screen enabled apps anymore.

Yikes, which model are you using?
9.5 iPad Pro.

I'm going to do a restore tonight when I'm by my Mac. Maybe it was just a bum install but yikes at the issues I'm seeing.

Edit. Now my bookmark bar is safari alternates Between black and blue.... and the keyboard is randomly capitalizing words. lol.

Edit 2: Also, here is one of my bookmarklets I used to use constantly that no longer works as intended. I used it when I was on the Subscriptions page for NeoGAF, and what it would do is open every unread thread into a new tab so I could quickly catch up on my subscribed threads. It worked for desktop and mobile.

Code:
javascript:%20if(window.location.href.indexOf(%22neogaf%22)%3E-1%20&&%20window.location.href.indexOf(%22subscri%22)%3E-1%20&&%20window.location.href.indexOf(%22m.neogaf%22)%3C0)%20%7B%20%09var%20arr%20=%20%5B%5D,%20l%20=%20document.links;%20%09for(var%20i=0;%20i%3Cl.length;%20i++%20%20)%20%20%09%7B%09%20%09%09if(l%5Bi%5D.href.indexOf(%22newpost%22)%20!==%20-1)%09%20%09%09%09arr.push(l%5Bi%5D.href);%20%09%7D%20%09for(var%20i=0;%20i%3Carr.length;%20i%20++%20)%20%09%7B%09%09%20%09%09window.open(arr%5Bi%5D);%09%20%09%7D%20%7D%20if(window.location.href.indexOf(%22m.neogaf%22)%3E-1%20&&%20window.location.href.indexOf(%22subscri%22)%3E-1)%20%7B%20%09var%20arr%20=%20%5B%5D,%20l%20=%20document.getElementsByClassName(%22listItem%22);%20%09for(var%20i=0;%20i%3Cl.length;%20i++%20%20)%20%20%09%7B%09%20%09%09if(l%5Bi%5D.className.indexOf(%22read%22)%20==%20-1)%09%20%09%09%09arr.push(l%5Bi%5D);%20%09%7D%20%09for(var%20i=0;%20i%3Carr.length;%20i%20++%20)%20%09%7B%09%09%20%09%09window.open(arr%5Bi%5D.getElementsByClassName(%22listItemArrow%22).item(0));%20%09%7D%20%09%09%20%7D

Have you put an app into multitasking?

Open something and then bring up the dock. Tap and hold an app icon and then drag it onto either the left or right side of the screen.

Slide over doesn't work in the same way where you invoke it and then swipe down to get a list of split screen enabled apps anymore.

Sorry for the double post, but it's easier to separate this post out from my last.

Now I'm confused on maybe what I'm supposed to be doing now (unless it is just one of the many bugs I'm encountering on this potentially botched install).

Before, I would be in Safari and I could swipe the right edge of the screen to invoke the slide over. There, Tweetbot would slide out, I could quickly go through the tweets, and then slide it back over and go back to Safari. That doesn't happen at all now.

In my dock on the right side is the Tweetbot icon, on the left is what my dock used to be. So, I open Tweetbot, I then switch to Safari, and I pull on the right side in the hopes of having Tweetbot slide over, but nothing happens. Slide over is nonexistent to me and the only thing I can do is anchor it on the right side by using split view, which I don't want.

Does that make more sense into what I'm doing and the problem I'm having?

cjp

Sorry for the double post, but it's easier to separate this post out from my last.

Now I'm confused on maybe what I'm supposed to be doing now (unless it is just one of the many bugs I'm encountering on this potentially botched install).

Before, I would be in Safari and I could swipe the right edge of the screen to invoke the slide over. There, Tweetbot would slide out, I could quickly go through the tweets, and then slide it back over and go back to Safari. That doesn't happen at all now.

In my dock on the right side is the Tweetbot icon, on the left is what my dock used to be. So, I open Tweetbot, I then switch to Safari, and I pull on the right side in the hopes of having Tweetbot slide over, but nothing happens. Slide over is nonexistent to me and the only thing I can do is anchor it on the right side by using split view, which I don't want.

Does that make more sense into what I'm doing and the problem I'm having?

Might just be worth giving this article just a quick skim: https://www.cultofmac.com/490710/slide-over-split-view-ios-11/

And maybe this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqFyfbCbNpc

Edit: I’m still really annoyed by the removal of 3D Touch multitasking. It feels unfair to remove it from all devices just so that it doesn’t clash with the iPhone X gesture. I really don’t see the harm of keeping it on the older devices and disabling it on the X.

A restore seem to fix some of the gestures that I was having. Slide over now works. However, five finger swipe up still does not work. Also, I'm still running into Safari bugs where my bookmark bar will change color, bookmarklet in a longer work as intended, and just sometimes your content blockers turn off. Also, some animations sometimes grind to a halt and incredibly stutters.

This is the first time I have missed all of the betas and jumped from a previous released to a new GM. I wonder if I'm just having shell shock of not having to put up with the usual beta pains over the summer.

Dictation seems to work pretty well still (I dictated this entire message).

Edit: Oh god, by making "disable celluar" a default in the control panel (!!!!) I'm going to get so many calls from family members about "why does my phone no longer work". Yay...

Mik2121

Wouldn't it be right to assume that the first ARKit apps will not show up until the 19th when they release iOS11?
I really wanna try those asap!

A friend of mine got the upgrade to iOS 11. His spotlight search seems broken. He use to be able to type in a partial name for an app and start getting results. Now he has to type the full name before getting results. Is that how it's supposed to be? Or is something wrong?

Sean

Banned
A friend of mine got the upgrade to iOS 11. His spotlight search seems broken. He use to be able to type in a partial name for an app and start getting results. Now he has to type the full name before getting results. Is that how it's supposed to be? Or is something wrong?

No, that's not normal. Mine works on partial names.

But if he just upgraded recently then Spotlight is likely just re-indexing the contents of his phone. It'll probably sort itself out in like a day, I'd leave it plugged in as much as possible.

SuperPac

Edit: Oh god, by making "disable celluar" a default in the control panel (!!!!) I'm going to get so many calls from family members about "why does my phone no longer work". Yay...

Wow, I didn’t even think about that. It’s just cellular data though - not phone calls. But, you’re right, people are not going to know what that toggle is. Thankfully when you open an app that needs data and you aren’t on WiFi, you will get a pop-up that tells you it’s off and will prompt you to turn it back on in settings.

🤔

Wow, I didn’t even think about that. It’s just cellular data though - not phone calls. But, you’re right, people are not going to know what that toggle is. Thankfully when you open an app that needs data and you aren’t on WiFi, you will get a pop-up that tells you it’s off and will prompt you to turn it back on in settings.

To put things in perspective, I get calls repeatedly asking "why does my phone not ring anymore" because they accidentally enabled Do Not Call. Now I'm going to get "why am I not getting any messages or why can't I access the internet when I'm not at home".

mokeyjoe

Have some slight choppiness opening apps sometimes on my 10.5, I guess there’s still some optimisation to be done. Other than that it all seems at least as snappy as before and everything works well.

I did find I had to reorganise my home pages to have everything make sense with the way the dock works. I wasn’t a fan at first, but now I’ve rearranged things I’m starting to dig it.

aravuus

Gonna go out and buy my first ever non-iPod Apple product today or tomorrow, the 10 inch iPad Pro. Any reason not to do this beta profile thing and install iOS 11 right away, rather than waiting until next week when it's out for everyone? Will I likely lose any apps or saved settings or whatever if I wait and update next week?

Jinroh

They still haven’t fixed Safari... the main page is randomly white when I start Safari, and sometimes the top fast scrolling (by tapping on the time near the top of the screen) is not working. I have to quit the app and then it works again. I was expecting these things to be fixed by the time of release.

Top Bottom