• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut is coming next week [Up: Out now, my sweet]

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
They needed to get Drew K back to finish this

Drew was good but from what we know his ending it wasnt all that great either, better than what we got, but it still tried to make sense out of the Reapers and their actions for a greater good, which really wasnt necessary at all. But whats done is done. Hopefully they salvage this space wreck and make it at least passable and workable so they can continue the franchise in some way that doesnt completely involve fast forwarding thousands of years and basically wiping the slate clean.

Read a comment somewhere that the extended cut only adds around 7 minutes to the game (depending on your choices). This was mentioned in the podcast that was released with the date. I can't confirm this as the thought of having to listen to Mac and Casey drone on makes me want to punch the screen.

graywolf323

You have to use a save before you are visiting
the Cerberus Base
. Looks like you have to replay the game or use a older save.

well I had it at 100% at one point and got the achievement for that, it's just degraded all the way back down to 50% in the months since

graywolf323

Your readiness isn't saved then, it's locked in once you do the Cerberus mission.

is there any way to double check what it's locked in at?

edit: disconnected from my wifi and logged into the game's offline mode and loaded my saves from right before and after the Cerberus mission and both showed 100% war readiness

I don't care enough to even youtube it. This game has left such a bad aftertaste I can't even stand the thought of another second in this universe.

lucius

I stopped playing ME3 after I heard this was coming out and because many people seemed upset over the ending, but now I kind of want to see how bad the ending was originally. I wonder if after you install this if you can go back to original non extended version.

I haven't even played the games, nevermind the offending third entry and its conclusion, but I can't imagine anything here will sit right with the fanbase. It's trying to pose as a genuine series of consequences to player choices throughout the game(s) but only exists because of fan outcry. It's going to reek of fanservice at best with tons of reaching to directly connect whatever content is in the DLC to player choices, so that they can point and say "see? Your choice made this happen!", even if 'this' is garbage.

Right? Happy to be corrected, again, since I haven't played the games. Just trying to piece together what's happening based on players outraged that a promise of meaningful choices ended with a variable lightshow.

Does not compute.

The whole reason this exists is due to the outcry. If you haven't played, then you don't quite understand.

Looks like I'll play this weekend to get my miliary readiness back to around 90%

edit: disconnected from my wifi and logged into the game's offline mode and loaded my saves from right before and after the Cerberus mission and both showed 100% war readiness

Really? I just checked the app, and mine shows what it currently is, not what it was. This would be good news though.

Pollux

Read a comment somewhere that the extended cut only adds around 7 minutes to the game (depending on your choices). This was mentioned in the podcast that was released with the date. I can't confirm this as the thought of having to listen to Mac and Casey drone on makes me want to punch the screen.
If true...just fuck. It sucks how far Bioware has fallen.

Just listened to that part of the podcast and he says 'several minutes'.

kai3345

Banned
Wait does your readiness have to be maxed to see the new ending?

Is there a way to get readiness besides multiplayer?

EYEL1NER

Well I suppose I need to start playing the game now.
I bought the Special Edition at launch and haven't played it yet, but not because of the ending. I never downloaded any of the additional content for ME2 and I have been waiting for it to go on sale again so I can play it
and then be disappointed when the choices I make in the DLCs don't make any difference in ME3.

Oh well. Might as well just buy them now.

nel e nel

Recent experience has taught me not to look forward to anything because you'll get your soul crushed with the disappointment so I'm expecting this to be everything the say it won't. I'll still go through the ending again though because I do like the actual game part of ME3 (though the Earth bit is probably the weakest. Gameplay wise I mean).

It's not about not looking forward, it's about managing expectations. People get all worked up like it's the 2nd coming and when it fails to reach those heights, they go apeshit.

An-Det

This is that I've been waiting for to start my Insanity playthrough. I loved the rest of the game the first time around, do I'm curious to see exactly what this changes at the end and if the game holds up for me.

Dany

Banned
What if...what if it totally blows us away and turns out to FIX and make ME3 have the best ending ever...

The podcast just reinforces how stupid this whole thing is. They totally fucked this up in the first place and are just going to toss in some epilogue slides and some cutscenes to handwave away the BS in the end game so they can make more sequels.

This doesn't fix one of the core problems of ME3- that the decisions and consequences from prior games should have manifested themselves within the actual gameplay and the actual game. Not some cheap epilogue slides tacked on at the end.

I've been waiting for this for a long time.

I don't even know if I want it now. It's like getting back into an abusive relationship, because she/he promised they have changed. You want to believe them! But can you ever trust them again!?

nel e nel

So... basically they didn't understand at the time the powerful implications (and how they overrided everything that happened before) of what they showed you in the last five minutes, so they're backpedaling so that all of that Really Important Stuff was actually a meaningless light show with no real consequences.

What I think they didn't understand is that not everyone is comfortable/OK with having to connect the dots themselves, and want more exposition than what they gave us.

Dresden

What I think they didn't understand is that not everyone is comfortable/OK with having to connect the dots themselves, and want more exposition than what they gave us.

I don't think people had trouble with connecting the dots. It's that when they did, the dots formed a middle finger aimed straight at the viewer.

Usually, 90% of the time I look down on posters with extreme spite by saying they'll "Youtube" it for games such as Asuras and Heavy Rain, as watching a game like Heavy Rain and playing it is vastly different. Considering that there are possibilities of you the player failing a section, that the YouTube video didn't, or taking a different approach to a situation, which is more engaging, exciting, exhilarating because its "your" play though, and it shows when playing the game you have tense nerves, heart pumping craziness, sweaty brows.

But with this Mass Effect 3 ending. For sure. " I'll YouTube it " seems to do justice here.

nel e nel

I don't think people had trouble with connecting the dots. It's that when they did, the dots formed a middle finger aimed straight at the viewer.

Based on some of the conversations I've had with people, yes, they did have trouble connecting the dots. Ambiguity doesn't sit well with some people. Obviously, you are not one of those people. You just plain didn't like it.

What if...what if it totally blows us away and turns out to FIX and make ME3 have the best ending ever...

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Based on some of the conversations I've had with people, yes, they did have trouble connecting the dots. Ambiguity doesn't sit well with some people. Obviously, you are not one of those people. You just plain didn't like it.

I didn't have any trouble connecting the dots, I just had issues with some of the half-assed bullshit that came out of the canned final sequence (without the bonus scene in the 1 ending).
I mean, come on [ENDING SPOILERS]
That scene with Joker getting off the Normandy is so fucking bad it's not even funny. First, somehow, magically, the two crew members I had with me during the final stage of the battle on earth miraculously made it onto the Normandy and it just happened to be speeding off somewhere so it could crash land when the Mass Relay overloaded? Right. And even better, I used EDI all the time... if I chose the ending where all synthetics were destroyed, how did EDI survive to get off the ship, at least in the mobile platform she used in this game?
It's just ridiculous.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
hey, I got the RRoD in the last few days.

Right on time to miss this dlc!

Guess I'll listen to this podcast later today.

Damn, not sure I even have a save file from before the Cerberus base, and I'm really not sure I want to play through the game again without knowing how good these actual endings are.

lucius

There is something lost after your first playthrough, so no matter what changes I doubt in the end this will please many that we're upset. All though extended film versions do seem to work out ok when they are released usually years later, can't think of many that released a couple months later that turned out so well.

I have no expectations for this, but I'll play it just to see what shit Walters manages to come up with this time around.

I'll just put the game on the easiest setting and edit my readiness score. I'm not resubbing to Live and grinding for a weekend to get it up to 100% again.

rozay

Banned
Damn, not sure I even have a save file from before the Cerberus base, and I'm really not sure I want to play through the game again without knowing how good these actual endings are.
When you start the final mission, it saves before the Cerberus base automatically when starting the mission because
it's the point of no return

I'm going to be watching this on YouTube, can't be fucked to go through the game again unless it turns out to be good.

Patryn

Yeah, with everything they're saying in this podcast, I have no faith in this. I am still on the fence if I'll bother playing through it.

Mass Effect 1 is my favorite game of all time.

I took a day off of work to play ME3 that first day.

What the hell have you done Bioware?

EDIT: From the podcast: The "care" and "concern" they put into this content? LOL.

Also, we "wouldn't know how to write" a new ending? Wow. Although I'm guessing that a tacit way of saying "It's not indoctrination theory. Seriously, get over it."

Bowdz

So can I assume that the player's choices actually alter the ending this time?

index.php

Based on the interviews with a couple of the VAs called back, I don't exactly have high hopes for this. I think Bioware is on the record for saying this will not change the Starchild, tricolor ending, nor the clusterfuck that was the ending. It will only add scenes to "clarify". I'm sure that it will ultimately improve the ending, and I appreciate Bioware taking the time to work on it, but from my perspective, the ending has some many fundamental flaws with it, that no amount of explanation will solve its problem (and any explanation seriously trying to do so will have to go through an insane amount of mental gymnastics to get it to logically make sense).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Meh. You get 5% per extraction, so play 5 games each day for the next 3 days...BOOM! 95% readiness.

You get 3% if you win one game, which takes around 15-20 mins each, even less if its Bronze, i see Bronze games taking like 10-11 mins.

But you also lose % if you dont play for a while. I know for a fact that im always at 97% when i come back from work at 4pm and i played for the last time the day before at 11pm when it is at 100%.

Anyway, readiness was never an issue for me because i play 2 games MINIMUM every single day. The multiplayer mode is that fun and addicting to me.

Yes, i still think the original ending was crap, but that never stopped me from playing the game and enjoying the multiplayer.

Forsythia

Chris Priestly wrote...

People have been asking about the EMS and how it changes in the Extended Cut DLC.

The original experience of the game was meant to reward players who did extra work (multiplayer, importing a save, playing the iOS games, etc) with greater levels of success in the end, which is appropriate to a story about a war that needs every possible advantage in order to win. But now that we are moving to a post-launch period and have additional content for the endings, we wanted to make it easier for all players to experience even the best-cast endings. Playing multiplayer is just one component is a sea of variables that can affect your ending. If you don't play MP, you have to find other ways raise to raise your EMS before attempting to retake Earth, including a comprehensive single player play through. Likewise if you suffered some blows to your EMS prior to assaulting Earth, MP is a great way to raise your score high enough for the final assault.

Keep in mind that the results of having a very low EMS rating can have distinct effects on the outcome of the game in teh same way having a high EMS can.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/12695580/1

They fixed the EMS thing, no grinding in multiplayer anymore!

And do they basically admit they lied about everything being available in singleplayer alone?

Top Bottom