• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PUBG a GotY contender?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Honesty who cares if dose or doesn't win official GOTY? If u enjoy the game enough to consider your personal GOTY then there is no need official game awards to tell u other wise.

My personal GITY is Nier Automata, Persona 5 and Gravity Rush 2 but we all know there is little chance these games will even get mentioned in official game awards.

It could be, and no doubt will be credited by some outlets- I'd be actively surprised if Giant Bomb went for anything else, for instance.

GAF won't, though- I'd be surprised if one of Nintendo's big games this year didn't take home the honours.

Hylian7

I saw my nephew playing this game on his PC while I was visiting my sister.
I thought it was another unpolished ARMA mod because the graphic was so bad and outdated.
He explained to me he was hunting his friends, and it was exciting because others were also hunting for him.
Watched him played for a bit, and it was just like BF with uglier graphic.
I just nodded and walked away because all I saw was basically a boring game of hide and seek game of Death Match on a large map.

Am I missing something?
Am I too old for FPS now?
I don't see what is so exciting about playing an "open world" DM game.
I have played this type of game in the 90s, such as BF: VN.
Hunting Vietcons with 100s of players on a server. What is the difference?

You only have one life and it's last man/group standing wins. The game gets very tense because the enemy could be anywhere, and if you're dead, the match is over for you. The tense feeling of it is what makes the hide and seek awesome. Everyone has to watch the horizon carefully when hiding in a house, or be listening for players approaching and prepare to deal with them. At the same time they have to be careful not to make too much noise in the house or alert the invading players that you are camped in there.

If you hop on and give it a try, especially with friends, you'll start to see the draw in it.

Can we please start spelling things out and then using an acronym? I had to read almost an entire page to figure out what the hell OP was referring to.

On topic, lol no. Breath of the Wild, Horizon and Splatoon 2 off the top of my head will be more popular picks, and I'm sure I missed some good titles.

I don't know how many outlets will give it outright GOTY - particularly if it remains in early access - but it'll get a load of "Best Multiplayer" and maybe "Best Early Access" if that's a thing. Oh, and YouTubers/streamers that still do GOTY lists will have it there for sure.

killroy87

I don't know how many outlets will give it outright GOTY - particularly if it remains in early access - but it'll get a load of "Best Multiplayer" and maybe "Best Early Access" if that's a thing. Oh, and YouTubers/streamers that still do GOTY lists will have it there for sure.

It's apparently still on track to leave early access this year, so that should technically be a non-issue.

Ladekabel

I saw my nephew playing this game on his PC while I was visiting my sister.
I thought it was another unpolished ARMA mod because the graphic was so bad and outdated.
He explained to me he was hunting his friends, and it was exciting because others were also hunting for him.
Watched him played for a bit, and it was just like BF with uglier graphic.
I just nodded and walked away because all I saw was basically a boring game of hide and seek game of Death Match on a large map.

Am I missing something?
Am I too old for FPS now?
I don't see what is so exciting about playing an "open world" DM game.
I have played this type of game in the 90s, such as BF: VN.
Hunting Vietcons with 100s of players on a server. What is the difference?

The game is a Battle Royal game. Roughly 100 players start a round and only one can win. You jump from an airplane in the beginning a go looking for loot (weapons, armor, backpacks, ammo). Then it is either shoot or be shot. The tension and the adrenalin it can give is something I have rarely experienced in games if ever before.

Jockel

Having played "only" like 60 hours of PUBG It's already getting a bit stale for my taste, I wouldn't be surprised if other people feel the same way. I doubt it will still be as popular as it is now by the time the XB1, let alone the PS4 version drops.

nynt9

Don't get mad but people said the same thing about DayZ, now look at it.
An Early Access can't be a GOTY contender, it's not finished.

If the game is fun as is and can provide hundreds of hours of entertainment then who cares what you label it?

Can we please start spelling things out and then using an acronym? I had to read almost an entire page to figure out what the hell OP was referring to.

On topic, lol no. Breath of the Wild, Horizon and Splatoon 2 off the top of my head will be more popular picks, and I'm sure I missed some good titles.

PUBG has already sold more than any of those games and by the end of the year may be on track to sell more than two of them combined. Popular picks wise it's no question.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'd like to know the reasoning behind this.

I'm not the user you quoted, but I can give you my two cents about this line of thinking, since I partially agree with it.

Imagine a game as a school essay or work project, or even an exam. Let's say you are the developer of the game or, in this case, the person tasked with doing the essay. You are 30% done. You're still missing 70% of that essay, but you're "competing" against others that have been finished already. The person in charge of evaluating the essay reads it and says it's the best essay in the class.

That speaks volumes about the quality of your essay, right? Sure. But there's also 70% of your work that is still not there, and nothing guarantees that all that work that is missing won't massively and substantially alter the quality of your essay. Maybe your thesis is impleccable, but you reach the conclusion that the Earth is flat and that the sun is actually a light bulb in the sky. Who knows. The potential for greatness is equally as valid as the potential for disaster.

Now, if you think of games in these terms, you'll see why some people (or at least me) consider it important to have a landmark "official" release for a game: it's an arbitrary limit that allows you to judge a game as a whole for what it is at the moment of review, not what it may become.

Maybe PUBG becomes the greatest game of the decade. Maybe it doesn't even get released in the end, as so many incredibly popular Early Access games have done: ARK, Rust, 7 Days to Die, DayZ, etc. Again, having a "1.0" allows to say: "This is the game, I'll judge it as what the developer considered to be a completed, functional, commercial version of it."

tl;dr: It's an arbritary measure to give all games an equal playing field.

If the game is fun as is and can provide hundreds of hours of entertainment then who cares what you label it?

Sure. But then again, it's the developer of the game who chose to release it as an Early Access game in the first place. They themselves are saying that the game isn't finished and that it may substantially change during development.

It's apparently still on track to leave early access this year, so that should technically be a non-issue.

Not saying that they won't, but I rather not take any promises for granted given the track record of so many EA games... Especially in the survival genre.

Servbot24

Banned
If it's your favorite game from 2017 then I don't see why not.

Will it be the 'consensus' GOTY? Highly unlikely when Zelda, Horizon, Persona and Mario are the competition.

DxD

Banned
You only have one life and it's last man/group standing wins. The game gets very tense because the enemy could be anywhere, and if you're dead, the match is over for you. The tense feeling of it is what makes the hide and seek awesome. Everyone has to watch the horizon carefully when hiding in a house, or be listening for players approaching and prepare to deal with them. At the same time they have to be careful not to make too much noise in the house or alert the invading players that you are camped in there.

If you hop on and give it a try, especially with friends, you'll start to see the draw in it.

I am pretty sure I have already played this before as well with COD Hardcore mode in the 00s.
One life, FFA or TDM.

megalowho

It's gonna make my list, though I'd have misgivings if it's still in early access. Definitely a contender. So fun and tense.

I am pretty sure I have already played this before as well with COD Hardcore mode in the 00s.
One life, FFA or TDM.
There's a loot and scavenging/survival component to PUBG that makes it difficult to compare to COD modes, plus the map is huge and continually constricting. It's a different kind of game.

Somnia

Having played "only" like 60 hours of PUBG It's already getting a bit stale for my taste, I wouldn't be surprised if other people feel the same way. I doubt it will still be as popular as it is now by the time the XB1, let alone the PS4 version drops.

It continues to grow in popularity every day, this game isn't slowing down anytime soon.

styl3s

Not until it clears early access.
GOTY to me is the best game you played and you can play PUBG. I don't care if a game is in Beta, Early Access or retail. You can buy the game and play it and it's less broken than some games i have bought at retail and i have put 350 hours into it.

My game of the year.

Keinning

your taste hardly align with the majority seeing as PUBG keeps being the most viewed game on twitch for weeks straight

Stoze

That's what I'm asking.

I think Giant Bomb said it wasn't eligible for their GOTY either.
Did they? I know they typically try to avoid traditional coverage of early access stuff, but between this and Dead Cells it feels they might just say "fuck it" towards whatever rules they have about EA at the end of the year. They'll definitely have a "Best Early Access Experience" category if they aren't though.

Servbot24

Banned

A game that takes 60 hours to get stale sounds pretty darn great to me. :)

killroy87

I'm not the user you quoted, but I can give you my two cents about this line of thinking, since I partially agree with it.

Imagine a game as a school essay or work project, or even an exam. Let's say you are the developer of the game or, in this case, the person tasked with doing the essay. You are 30% done. You're still missing 70% of that essay, but you're "competing" against others that have been finished already. The person in charge of evaluating the essay reads it and says it's the best essay in the class.

That speaks volumes about the quality of your essay, right? Sure. But there's also 70% of your work that is still not there, and nothing guarantees that all that work that is missing won't massively and substantially alter the quality of your essay. Maybe your thesis is impleccable, but you reach the conclusion that the Earth is flat and that the sun is actually a light bulb in the sky. Who knows. The potential for greatness is equally as valid as the potential for disaster.

Now, if you think of games in these terms, you'll see why some people (or at least me) consider it important to have a landmark "official" release for a game: it's an arbitrary limit that allows you to judge a game as a whole for what it is at the moment of review, not what it may become.

Maybe PUBG becomes the greatest game of the decade. Maybe it doesn't even get released in the end, as so many incredibly popular Early Access games have done: ARK, Rust, 7 Days to Die, DayZ, etc. Again, having a "1.0" allows to say: "This is the game, I'll judge it as what the developer considered to be a completed, functional, commercial version of it."

tl;dr: It's an arbritary measure to give all games an equal playing field.

There's also the possibility that the 1.0 version implements changes that negatively impact the game in a fundamental way (micro transactions mainly, but possibly other things).

I don't personally have a massive issue with the Early Access thing, but your tl;dr is pretty much the crux of the argument against it.

Hylian7

One life, FFA or TDM.

It's not the same as those, you're in a huge map and everyone's dropped out of a plane at the start, plus there's a circle that the map will close to with a damaging "wall", and this circle gets smaller every few minutes.

Ah, fair enough then, it might pick up more then as outlets do official reviews of the game's 1.0 release (not that that should be necessary for it to be considered for GotY). I'm still not sure it'll pick up loads though, considering how stacked the year's been!

fanboi

Banned
By having arbitrary rules on what is eligible as an industry we encourage developers to rush their game out or simply slap 1.0 on it whenever is convenient to win awards and maximise sales when the game is hot.

But that is self curating since if they rush it and it is a shitty product, it wont win GOTY.

It will be completely new to large amounts of those audiences though.

imBask

Banned
where and how?

on my list? yes, I make the arbitrary rules
on the VGA list? idk, what are their rules, probably not

nynt9

There's also the possibility that the 1.0 version implements changes that negatively impact the game in a fundamental way (micro transactions mainly, but possibly other things).

I don't personally have a massive issue with the Early Access thing, but your tl;dr is pretty much the crux of the argument against it.

Every service game has the possibility to implement unpopular changes in the future so I don't know why we hold EA games to this standard.

For all intents and purposes, this is the only game I've played since I bought it months ago. It is without a shadow of a doubt my GOTY so far, early access or not. It's a game, and it's the best I've play this year.

Ferrio

Banned
I am pretty sure I have already played this as well on COD Hardcore mode.
One life, FFA or TDM.

No you haven't, none of those are like this. First of all the island is huge, and you start out with nothing and have to find all your weapons equipment either by luck or taking it from other people. The firefights can be intense with long standoffs at great distances. The moments of quietness are a relief but at the same time unnerving because even with the island being so huge there could be someone a couple feet from you that you don't even notice.

Ex-Psych

With Zelda, Persona 5 out with Mario on the horizon?

I'm inclined to say no, but I guess it's a possibility, a tough one though.

killroy87

Every service game has the possibility to implement unpopular changes in the future so I don't know why we hold EA games to this standard.

Because we need to at some point draw a line of "okay, this is how the game should be judged", and in effort to not make that point completely arbitrary, official release makes the most sense.

Keinning

Gravity Rush 2 is the best game released this year

whatever makes you happy

i bet you i can find way more people (and websites) that think PUBG is the best game released this year instead. ergo, saying GR2 is a GOTY contender is still more ludicrous than saying PUBG is as my post you've quoted stated

gogosox82

How about we wait a few months before we have this discussion. Its the summer with nothing to play and plenty other games are slated to come out at the end of the year. If its still this popular in November, then sure why not but there is a lot of time between now and November and a lot of things can change especially since the game is still in early access and is constantly changing.

whatever makes you happy

i bet you i can find way more people (and websites) that think PUBG is the best game released this year instead. ergo, saying GR2 is a GOTY contender is still more ludicrous than saying PUBG is as my post you've quoted stated

Well duh, PUBG is one of the most played titles of the year and a huge breakout success. GR 2 sold like 300k copies. Water is wet, fam.

DxD

Banned
With one hundred other players and searching for equipment on a large map? In CoD? I don't think so.

24(16?) players were maxed I think on COD.
The tension would still be the same, one shot, one kill, one life.

I don't see how a bigger map would make the game more exciting because it would take a long time for any action to happen while a smaller map like COD, FFA action would happen almost instantly.

I guess I am too used to COD/BF different style of gameplay that PUBG is basically a combination of COD Hardcore+BF bigger map that I can't see the appeal for this hide and seek game gameplay because with COD, you get your instant action, with BF, you get a lot of people to shoot at.

Top Bottom