• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove (PC) Kickstarter - $400k goal (Up: Funded)

Takao

Banned
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1578116861/toejam-and-earl-back-in-the-groove?ref=discovery
Pitch video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lC-f-s0XbQ

KHyOWRk.jpg

So what’s this all about? My name is Greg Johnson, and I am one of the two original creators and owners of the Toejam and Earl games (just to be clear, Sega doesn't own it). I, along with some bright and talented friends, are finally going to make that ultimate Toejam and Earl sequel that the fans have been asking for all these years.

Will it be like game one or game two, you ask? Well... (holding breath)... mainly like game one. We plan to go old school with this one. Fixed isometric camera, 2D sprites, simple controls, and an emphasis on coop play. It will also pull in some of the more beloved elements from game two, AND we have a list of exciting new gameplay elements planned as well.

goldenpp72

That art looks really, really bad to me. I love this series though.. Conflicting, it's just like some weird 2d flash thrown on top of 3d, I know it's not the final build by any means but after mighty 9 i'm kinda scared :p

Zomba13

Looks cool but I was more a fan of the second one (the weird ass side scroller) and not the first or Xbox ones.

Takao

Banned
No stretch goals for console release? Or am I missing something?

Which Platforms? Initially we are focusing all of our efforts on the PC (Windows, Mac, and Linux). We hope to eventually put this onto all platforms but this will, of course, depend on funding and on getting arrangements set up with the platform vendors.

XNarte

Wish the camera was a bit lower because it makes the sprites look a little flat and weird and I wish the sprites animated for going up and down instead of always being from a sideways profile. Otherwise looks cool!

vvise

Wow im a huge fan of this original game but that gameplay looks really loose. I'm not a fan of that art style, just kinda seems like they're trying to cash in on nostalgia. I hope it's a good game, will wait and see.

SerTapTap

Really digging the art style. I didn't see a break down though on the cost(?)

I'm conflicted, love the 2D bits, the ground and such looks eh though. I'd be down for something closer to Doki Doki Universe were it's all the same style.

Still, more Toejam and Earl in the first game's style is good news

Sweet, hopefully this turns out good, I would love a true Toejam and Earl sequel.

I actually kind of wish they just went full 2D with it, but I do love the 90's cartoon style sprites. Either way, backed hard, I hope it works out.

Hubble

Back this game! Toe Jam and Earl was amazing on SEGA and the publishers always interfered with the game's vision as explained in the pitch video. This is why you support the developers! To allow their creative freedom without interference. Give them a shot!

Would back if PS4. :|

In the pitch video, the creator says they hope for the game to be out on all platforms but PC as a start for funding.

Jellzy

Neo Member
Sweet, hopefully this turns out good, I would love a true Toejam and Earl sequel.

I actually kind of wish they just went full 2D with it, but I do love the 90's cartoon style sprites. Either way, backed hard, I hope it works out.

Loving it. I agree with the 2D comment. I actually think it's the style/art of the 3D design itself which is jarring and not the 3D world.

Well, the first thing to note is that this is destined to get funded on name alone. As soon as the press shines light on this those pledges are going to rocket. The second thing that comes to mind is that are they showing this too early? Those screenshots look very experimental prototype stage as opposed to finished form. I was a massive fan of TJE2 on the Megadrive (which TBH is where most of the fans of the series come from) and not so much TJE1.

I would have preferred a successor to that in the same style. Honestly I feel like they're drawing inspiration from the wrong game here. He is the original creator so he would know best but TJE is predominantly famous for the second game and not really the first. The second game is the game people remember and love. That said I wish them all the best. Hope that the game and the art improves considerably over the course of development. Just feel like the game should look better than this.

Showed the game too early IMO. TJE2 looks miles better than this and that game was eons ago and on ancient hardware.

I don't yet dig the new look, but I love love love the first two games, and the creator sounds like a cool guy!

I'll probably back this soon.

That's a pretty steep goal for a cult video game.
I really want to back it, but I'll wait and see how quickly they rack up funds first.

Platy

The artwork is GORGEOUS but dear god the 3D art needs some SERIOUS redesign.

Probaly something closer to Wind Waker maybe ?

That voice change, these videos, hahaha. This looks the closest like something I would want as a TJ&E1 successor.

The toughest choice here is which tier to back at...

Hmm... I kind of like the paper cut-out style that they're going for but I think it could use a few more slashes of colour. The game looks nice in motion though.

Art looks a bit like John R. Dilworth (Courage the Cowardly Dog) to me, which is neat, but I otherwise don't care for the kind of game the original T&E was. Hopefully this will get funded, completed, and properly supported for the fans who'll take an interest, and I'd like to see a guest remix album come from this if possible.

I'm not sure many people remember or retain passion (negative or positive) about the Xbox sequel, so it's largely down to which of the Mega Drive games fans prefer.

FaintDeftone

Oh man, those TJ&E vinyl figures in the $150 package are amazing! WAAAANNT!

Totally backing this when I get some extra cash. The original TJ&E is one of my favorite games of all time.

I love the original TJ&E. I think the idea for the style is fine, most of the 2d assets look good, but the 3d terrain looks like complete garbage.

Lijik

I like the art style for the characters a whole lot but they way its implemented in gameplay with the 3D terrain looks weird.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That's a pretty steep goal for a cult video game.
I really want to back it, but I'll wait and see how quickly they rack up funds first.

Cult series, for some reason, tend to have super loyal fans who are willing to spend money to get what they want. Zero doubt in my mind that this will get backed and I say this as someone who hasn't even played the Toejam & Earl Games.

Top Bottom