• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer 3$ per 1000 views if you promote XBO

I would be worried about how this effects the integrity of some big news sites like IGN, would they go down that route to positively promote X1 for extra cash, since they ofc have a youtube channel.

If I personally see someone bullshitting about it it will denote their credibility in my eyes and they will be removed from my subscriptions. I dislike buying to win.

Im not sure this is lawful in the UK. I guess it depends on what the wording is. If they lie, mislead or exagerate it will be a big factor. You can promote, but you have to follow guidelines based on the ASA's role to:

"regulate the content of advertisements, sales promotions and direct marketing in the UK"[2] by investigating "complaints made about ads, sales promotions or direct marketing",[2] and deciding whether such advertising complies with its advertising standards codes. These codes stipulate that "before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation"[3] and that "no marketing communication should mislead, or be likely to mislead, by inaccuracy, ambiguity, exaggeration, omission or otherwise"

Source; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertising_Standards_Authority_(United_Kingdom)
It just depends how it is done.

Microsoft are already paying for IGN to promote the Xbox One in the form of banner advertising etc.

We've also loosened up a bit on product placement now too, it is now allowed but a symbol has to be displayed to let viewers know that the product shown is only being shown because they're being paid to do so.

Personally if it is just a case of pre-rolls or like this video is brought to you by Xbox One with their fantastic game line up and awesome Kinect camera bla bla and then have a video about anything unrelated then that's pretty much conventional advertising.

If however you make an entire video to hype something up for no other reason than to gain money by saying how awesome the Xbox One is then yep that's pathetic.

Since all the DRM and always online bullshit, I see Microsoft with different eyes. And now this. Fuck this company. Dirty mofos.

In case you didn't notice, this is under the table...

How is this under the table? Is there proof Microsoft is/was trying to hide this? MS went to company to promote their product. That company notified its users of the offer? Just because you don't like it makes it under the table.

gaming_noob

Hope these YouTube personalities know their integrity will be shot and they'll lose subscribers because of it. A few hundred dollars from MS is not worth it.

I don't see why this is a big deal...I am a Machinima partner and companies do this "bonus CPM to advertise our game or system" all the time, like every month. Some companies (EA) will even send out free copies of games to Machnima partners in addition to the bonus CPM. It's just a form of advertising.

Chobel

I don't see why this is a big deal...I am a Machinima partner and companies do this "bonus CPM to advertise our game or system" all the time, like every month. Some companies (EA) will even send out free copies of games to Machnima partners in addition to the bonus CPM. It's just a form of advertising.

Do you have to disclose that you're promoting said products?

Seriously, it is despicable, but people are uninformed if they don't think this is not going on all the time.

So all I have to do is make terrible YouTube videos and sell my soul and integrity to Microsoft for dat $$$? I'm there.

Smells of desperation.

So all I have to do is make terrible YouTube videos and sell my soul and integrity to Microsoft for dat $$$? I'm there.

Smells of desperation.

That is how gaming journalism works. No technical nor critical knowledge requiered, just sit through press demo, go home with gifts and a press kit, copy paste the press release and tada ! A nice good preview/review/news

Do you have to disclose that you're promoting said products?

Nope. I do simply because there is no reason for me to hide it. A couple codes I remember being used off the top of my head are "NFS001" for Need for Speed Most Wanted (EA also sent a copy of this game to all Machinima partners).

For E3 2013, the code E3M13 was used to give Machnima partners who talked about E3 / posted trailers and stuff a CPM bonus.

I get an email every month from Machnima talking about what their CPM bonus promotion they are running. I think there was a Killer Instinct one last month, but I didn't look at the details since I don't have an Xbox One.

Oh, Machnima also sent certain partners free Xbox 360's and Xbox One's in the past....not sure if they ever sent out free Sony products or not. This is nothing new.

onanie

That is how gaming journalism works. No technical nor critical knowledge requiered, just sit through press demo, go home with gifts and a press kit, copy paste the press release and tada ! A nice good preview/review/news

Oh jolly, my article is writing itself for me while I bathe myself in free swags.

zeroOman

Did ppl forgot what is happened to the game channel in YouTube?

and u need to talk about the xbox NOT games... so Godluk

Three whole dollars. What a "deal"

It actually is quite a deal, most partners get $2ish per 1000 views. Last year my tiny ass channel had a few months where it made $400-500, so being able to jump that up 60% by simply typing a a code in the title of the video would be awesome easy money.

Chobel

Nope. I do simply because there is no reason for me to hide it. A couple codes I remember being used off the top of my head are "NFS001" for Need for Speed Most Wanted (EA also sent a copy of this game to all Machinima partners).

For E3 2013, the code E3M13 was used to give Machnima partners who talked about E3 / posted trailers and stuff a CPM bonus.

I get an email every month from Machnima talking about what their CPM bonus promotion they are running. I think there was a Killer Instinct one last month, but I didn't look at the details since I don't have an Xbox One.

Oh, Machnima also sent certain partners free Xbox 360's and Xbox One's in the past....not sure if they ever sent out free Sony products or not. This is nothing new.

Accordingly to posters here it's illegal to not disclose that you're promoting these products. Do Machinima tell their partners about this?

Ban Puncher

Some details about the deal have surfaced,

proxy.png

Source,
http://www.igameresponsibly.com/201...personalities-good-money-to-promote-xbox-one/

'Hello Influencers!'

Absolutely disgusting.

Accordingly to posters here it's illegal to not disclose that you're promoting these products. Do Machinima tell their partners about this?

Honestly, I am not sure. Maybe in the small print somewhere Machinima tells it's partners they have to mention or disclose this information, but a lot do not.

Another thing, in fairness to Machinima, you could make a video completely bashing the Xbox One, put XB1M13 in the title and still get the CPM bonus. It doesn't have to be positive or fake advertising.

Chobel

Another thing, in fairness to Machinima, you could make a video completely bashing the Xbox One, put XB1M13 in the title and still get the CPM bonus. It doesn't have to be positive or fake advertising.

There are some "guidelines listed in the assignement" that are needed to be followed, and we don't know anything about them.

What does "the assignment" mean (in general)?

This is really pretty gross for the parent company to be doing it. I don't think you could even pay me to deal with connect let alone promote the xbone. Hell, I wouldn't really do that for any console other than giving a review of a decent product. But even then, most of my stuff is never a glowing endorsement. I just about never give out 10/10. I wonder if you could give it a middling review, get the views and would they still pay? That is what that console seems like right now, a 4/10.

So which other companies do this? MS is the headline but seems it is more widespread

Einbroch

Banned
The premise of this isn't a big deal. The real issue is that after 1.25 million views, which could be reached in less than a day or two, Microsoft will no longer pay.

People will be promoting Microsoft and get nothing.

KoopaTheCasual

There's a reason EA keeps winning shittiest company in America, three years running. Just because it has been done before doesn't make it any less underhanded. I'm super down for banner ads, or clear paid promotion, but these fake grass root campaigns that try to blur the line of genuine enthusiasm piss me off.

RELIGHT

Banned
Fair enough. Nothing wrong with this if you genuinely love the Xbox One.

These are the only situations where it's ok. But if you have a history of bashing Xbox or if you have a history of generally not discussing the consoles, then suddenly start promoting the Bone then by definition you a sellout.

Usually its games that sell systems.......Not people using manipulation too influence others. MS going after Worst company award from EA.

I can honestly say hand on heart i never heard of Machinma or watched a show of theres or any other youtubers and what they do so doesnt affect me personally.

Three whole dollars. What a "deal"
Think about how much that $3 per 1000 views adds up for channels that get 1 million, even just 100k views a video, just for saying "gee golly guys, the Xbox One, the all-in-one entertainment system from Microsoft, sure is swell!"

That's a lot of moolah for just selling yourself out for 30 seconds in a bad video.

'Hello Influencers!'

Absolutely disgusting.
Jesus fucking Christ...

Theyre going to send millions to people that get millions of views?

Correct, for every 335,000,000 views you will receive $1million. If you hit 1,000,000,000 views you will be a millionaire.

Totally doable, just talk about how strong the cloud is, and how much moar bedder the XBone is vs. the PS4 and boom, 1billion views = millionaire.

The premise of this isn't a big deal. The real issue is that after 1.25 million views, which could be reached in less than a day or two, Microsoft will no longer pay.

People will be promoting Microsoft and get nothing.

The monetization doesn't magically stop at 1,250,000 views, it seems Microsoft's CPM offer is in addition to the regular monetization system.

ypo

Somehow MS always ends up where EA is. They are so complimenting each other well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Everyone should just tag all their videos with XB1M13. No one looks at tags for videos so it will just result in it being a useless search term.

cyber_ninja

Since all the DRM and always online bullshit, I see Microsoft with different eyes. And now this. Fuck this company. Dirty mofos.

That's how i feel as well; i will never support that company again. Hope that ms sells Xbox brand to somebody else. Go home ms you drunk.

Top Bottom