• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

despire

So what's the best way to up my cardio game? I need to start from scratch and I get pain in my shins easily.

Should I just start jogging/walking or use some app? C25K or something? Would like to be able to run 3000m or more in Cooper one day.

Faith

Repost from the other thread, didn't know about this one.

2323xvsm5.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKYJWQO3ZvA (55557x133.5kg/294lbs)

Finally managed to get rid of my buttwink. Form isn't perfect still, slight forward lean.

I think i'm done bulking with the end of this week. I am starting to hate food. Going out with a bang this week 5k+ calories and I don't care where they come from. Going to hit my macros and then some.

So here's the breakdown:

Starting weight: 197.6
Ending weight: 225.0 (this morning)
Total bulk: 50 weeks
Weekly avg: 0.548

Below is a pic of me at 198 and in the same pic 225 taken today. I tried to do my best to keep the fat gain to a minimum. Once my abs completely disappeared at rest i stayed there for a few months and slowly gained. I would bulk, mini cut, bulk, mini cut, etc

I feel with all the shit I have stacked against me health-wise I did pretty good with a weekly average of just 0.5lbs. Sure some fat went on but that's to be expected for a year-long gain. I still feel small, size-wise. I would like to be bigger but I'm giving the gain train a rest. It's time to take a break from bulking, hit my cut, maintenance and get back on later.

I start the cut next week. Excited to see what I'll look like after shedding the excess. So go ahead, rip me apart, fam XD - OH - ignore the mini fanny-pack, I put my pump in there to keep it from shifting around while i lift and i have a non-sweat version I sleep in. Makes a world of difference.

http://i.imgur.com/o2nfSNe.jpg
That change is incredible, impressive work bud.

Repost from the other thread, didn't know about this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKYJWQO3ZvA (55557x133.5kg/294lbs)

Finally managed to get rid of my buttwink. Form isn't perfect still, slight forward lean.
That bar path is great. Really enjoy your vids, dude. Form is always on point.

That change is incredible, impressive work bud.
Thanks bro! Was hard as hell haha! I'm happy to go on a cut. My stomach is already thanking me in anticipation.

A majority of my carbs were explicitly timed directly before and after my workouts. I started this in the last half of my bulk and it helped keep the fat gain to a minimum and spiked strength increases moreso than just spreading them around.

I do intermittent fasting, so all of my carbs are within 4 hours of my workout... pretty much by default. ;)

I could tighten that up a bit I guess (maybe 2 hours after), but I don't think I'd enjoy the experience.

I do intermittent fasting, so all of my carbs are within 4 hours of my workout... pretty much by default. ;)

I could tighten that up a bit I guess (maybe 2 hours after), but I don't think I'd enjoy the experience.
I'd vomit if I ate all of my carbs in a 2 hour window. I need to split it up. I think majority in that 4 hour window with the rest sprinkled throughout the day is the way to go for me. Allows me to keep steady the rest of the day with glucose then dial it up a notch in a short window where I am able to keep a better eye on it. Even with my majority carbs in that window I still manage to keep my glucose on point. Always floating around 100. Why I love this pump so much I can fine tune delivery both in large doses and over time. REALLY allows me to be flexible.

Pyrokai

I knew the other thread was getting large but I didn't know this one was made already, haha. So I posted this below for basically no one to read. So I'm reposting it here:

Quick question about lifting while you're cutting:

1. I'm eating at roughly 20% calorie deficit with a 50p/25c/25f macro split. Is this okay and safe to do for about 5 weeks?
2. I am lifting with my max reps being 8-10 instead of 12-15. If I'm not trying to gain, should I go for 12-15 instead?

That's all! Thanks in advance! I'm trying to lose 10 pounds of as much fat (not muscle) as possible for the upcoming swim season. If I can manage to do this, I'll be nearly at the strength, fitness, and body fat percent level I set out to achieve about 3 years ago and will look almost exactly like how I've always wanted to.

But, of course, this shit is addicting and come June 1st, I will want to take it to the NEXT LEVEL.

My assumption is that he means 20% deficit from maint...

So if maint was 2000kcal, he's cutting 20% of that and eating 1600kcal.

For me I'm going to stick with my exact routine but switch my main compounds to strength training. I'll be adding in cardio in alternating HIIT from running one day to heavy bag training the next and alternate every other. When I get my Mook Yan Jong built this summer I'll add that into the mix although I'll be incredibly rusty :O

As for calories I'll start with 4k then drop weekly until I hit 3200 then re-asses my progress. I feel if I go lower it might be too harsh but I'll keep an eye on it. Been a while.

SeanR1221

A majority of my carbs were explicitly timed directly before and after my workouts. I started this in the last half of my bulk and it helped keep the fat gain to a minimum and spiked strength increases moreso than just spreading them around. Protein and fat were fairly evenly spread. - OR - Placebo. Either or, That's about all i messed with.

I definitely think there is a benefit to timing your carbs to being mostly before and after a workout.

If I eat around 200g of carbs in a day, I'll put 15-30g in the morning, and then another 30 or so around lunch with the final 140 coming pre and post workout.

mdsfx

My assumption is that he means 20% deficit from maint...

So if maint was 2000kcal, he's cutting 20% of that and eating 1600kcal.
I misread his macro split as grams instead of percentage! Lol

I woke up at 4am today, so cut me some slack :)

Pyrokai

I misread his macro split as grams instead of percentage! Lol

I woke up at 4am today, so cut me some slack :)

You're talking about my post, right? Yeah those are percentages, sorry.

Does that seem okay? And yes it would be 20% lower than maintenance. And also lifting at 8-10 reps where the last rep is the hardest.

Side question: If I ate at maintenance and kept working out, would changes slowly happen where my body takes the fat and puts new calories as muslce? What kind of macro split would that look like? I'm not doing this right now but I'm curious.

mdsfx

Side question: If I ate at maintenance and kept working out, would changes slowly happen where my body takes the fat and puts new calories as muslce? What kind of macro split would that look like? I'm not doing this right now butbim curious.

If you ate at maintenance your workouts would put you back into cut mode (calorie defecit). As far as gaining muscle, it seems like it couldn't happen on a cut, but you can certainly have some body recomposition where you gain muscle and lose fat. I'm on a cut and my lift numbers are still climbing somehow, albeit slowly.

Usually on a cut fat intake goes up slightly and carb intake goes down. I don't know how necessary it really is, but I believe it helps you burn more fat.

Pyrokai

If you ate at maintenance your workouts would put you back into cut mode (calorie defecit). As far as gaining muscle, it seems like it couldn't happen on a cut, but you can certainly have some body recomposition where you gain muscle and lose fat. I'm on a cut and my lift numbers are still climbing somehow, albeit slowly.

Usually on a cut fat intake goes up slightly and carb intake goes down. I don't know how necessary it really is, but I believe it helps you burn more fat.

Okay, and yeah I'm not trying to gain muscle just lose fat right now. So it seems like when you cut you generally don't change how you lift?

Edit: I just have it in my head that if I burn out on 6-10 reps of heavy lifting and eating at a deficit, I'm going to do more harm than good.

Okay, and yeah I'm not trying to gain muscle just lose fat right now. So it seems like when you cut you generally don't change how you lift?

Edit: I just have it in my head that if I burn out on 6-10 reps of heavy lifting and eating at a deficit, I'm going to do more harm than good.

There's no real harm in being in deficit, as long as it's not too much deficit, and not for too long.

You'll know pretty quickly, as you'll have fuck all energy and your lifts will go to shit (if you're lucky enough not to pick up injuries).

I'm getting real bad forearm pain on my back/bi day. Anyone else have this before

Not uncommon. If affected, pull days trigger it for most, but any lifts where grip is emphasised can make it worse.

JoeNut

So reposting this as nobody replied - anyone have any tips on improving Bench? there are guys in my gym doing lots of weight but not really doing it with any form, which seems stupid.

KillerBEA

So reposting this as nobody replied - anyone have any tips on improving Bench? there are guys in my gym doing lots of weight but not really doing it with any form, which seems stupid.

Bench twice a week. I added in 5 working sets of Bench after I train Overhead Press on Shoulder Day and saw an almost immediate uptick in Bench performance the last few weeks.

I definitely think there is a benefit to timing your carbs to being mostly before and after a workout.

If I eat around 200g of carbs in a day, I'll put 15-30g in the morning, and then another 30 or so around lunch with the final 140 coming pre and post workout.
I use pretty much the same ratios :D

Form, volume, food. Forget what anyone else does around you.

Switch up your main every few weeks - flat vs incline.

How are you stalling? Form? Weight? Are you hitting a plateau?

Pyrokai

There's no real harm in being in deficit, as long as it's not too much deficit, and not for too long.

You'll know pretty quickly, as you'll have fuck all energy and your lifts will go to shit (if you're lucky enough not to pick up injuries).

Okay cool, thanks. So what the 50p/25c/25f macro spilt w/ deficit? Is that extreme?

back day, then leg day, then go running the following day.

somehow after running and stretching right after my leg feels great today. pray to gods that the DOMs don't kick in though lol

Okay cool, thanks. So what the 50p/25c/25f macro spilt w/ deficit? Is that extreme?

Not really sure how you define an extreme split. As long as you're hitting 0.6g - 1.0g per lb of bodyweight on protein, the rest is largely up to you. It's impossible to tell without knowing your weight and actual calorie intake though.

BumRush

Sleep, proper diet and VOLUME. If your bench is stalling, add a second day...and accessories (incline DB press, paused DB press, cable fly, etc.)

JoeNut

Bench twice a week. I added in 5 working sets of Bench after I train Overhead Press on Shoulder Day and saw an almost immediate uptick in Bench performance the last few weeks.

I use pretty much the same ratios :D

Form, volume, food. Forget what anyone else does around you.

Switch up your main every few weeks - flat vs incline.

How are you stalling? Form? Weight? Are you hitting a plateau?

Sleep, proper diet and VOLUME. If your bench is stalling, add a second day...and accessories (incline DB press, paused DB press, cable fly, etc.)

Thanks for the replies, I've been stuck at the same weight for months. Although I think that could be due to me cutting. I'll try all of these suggestions, I'm now bulking too so hopefully that's going to help too going forward.

Thanks for the replies, I've been stuck at the same weight for months. Although I think that could be due to me cutting. I'll try all of these suggestions, I'm now bulking too so hopefully that's going to help too going forward.
Cutting with a proper deficit will be hard to progress in lifts. Most people lose strength after time. As for bulking, you're not cutting so I would expect the progression to come regularly.

JoeNut

Cutting with a proper deficit will be hard to progress in lifts. Most people lose strength after time. As for bulking, you're not cutting so I would expect the progression to come regularly.

Yeah i'm hoping the progress will translate to bench, it's helped with my squats already, unless that's just placebo!

After reading in the previous OP i will be getting involved in some Beta Alanine too, which will hopefully help a little.

Shoulder pump but why not wear some sneaker pumps?

I'm more of a Nike/Adidas type of guy.

Thanks, man. One of these days I'll catch up to you. Looking ridiculously huge in that pic :O - Dem boulder shoulders!

Shoulder days are my fav for the post pump pic.

Arms look awesome dude. You're a beast.

tyty!

Yeah, you'd whip my ass.
Your arms look massive, dude.

Hah, they definitely have some size to them. Right now, they are ~17 inches cold. Maybe closer to 18 after a solid pump.

Celebrations are in order, this mufucka finally sprouted some traps.

No lie, this is the greatest compliment I could ever receive. You and others know of my struggle to get traps since OT3. It has only taken me 6 OTs to finally show some development!

BumRush

Yeah i'm hoping the progress will translate to bench, it's helped with my squats already, unless that's just placebo!

After reading in the previous OP i will be getting involved in some Beta Alanine too, which will hopefully help a little.

Honestly, just try adding a second day per week. With that second day, do DB and cable work. The chest is one of those muscle groups that a). needs volume and b). is deceiving (they look small, but there are so many different sections of the pectoral muscle that can all be engaged differently with different exercises)

Hah, they definitely have some size to them. Right now, they are ~17 inches cold. Maybe closer to 18 after a solid pump
Has to be a lie. Your arms are like twice the size of mine and I just measured 17 after a full rest week, first thing in the morning Sunday. Your arms are way thicker from the front than mine.

Either way, good stuff, man!

Just used my Skulpt Chisel for the first time, and now I'm depressed. lol

Arms and legs are good. Chest is shiiiiiiit, abs are fat. :(

SeanR1221

I think that seeing a picture of Psycho is one of my bucket list items.

He's not sure where to take the selfie because there are jars of peanut butter all over and he doesn't want us to know the truth 🤔

Goddam I had a rough squat day. It was bound to happen when my last 8 workouts were on point. Oh well, better to have a crappy squat day than no squat day!

Wont really be able to tell until I've got some sort of trend going. But I'd actually say it's probably not too far off on the body fat, just judging by the mirror.

It says my biceps and quads have a very high muscle quality, which is cool, but my chest and abs are garbage, which isn't. :(

Virtually no fat on my arms, which is true. Tons on my chest. Also true.

Will get my missus to do the measurements on me so we can be a bit more precise about positioning etc (and get my back and whatnot).

JCX

Thanks for the HIIT suggestions. Think I'll try the running one first. There are a lot of nice parks and trails by my new place so it should be easy.

Wont really be able to tell until I've got some sort of trend going. But I'd actually say it's probably not too far off on the body fat, just judging by the mirror.

It says my biceps and quads have a very high muscle quality, which is cool, but my chest and abs are garbage, which isn't. :(

Virtually no fat on my arms, which is true. Tons on my chest. Also true.

Will get my missus to do the measurements on me so we can be a bit more precise about positioning etc (and get my back and whatnot).
This last part.

The whole thing.

All of it.

Just started to get back in shape. Got up early this morning, felt like going for a run by the ocean. Threw my back out somehow. FML

Top Bottom