• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Amazon receive a faulty batch of PS4 Consoles, or was it poor packaging?

If we assume 200 broken units, just for fun:

If they shipped 1000 units, that's a 20% failure rate (they shipped more than 1000).

If they shiped 10,000 units, that's a 2% failure rate (this is probably closer to the truth, but it could be even more than that).

They would have had to ship 50,000 units for the 200 units to equal a .4% failure rate.

And in addition to not knowing how many units they shipped, there's also no way of knowing how many units were damaged in transit somehow as opposed to being broken from the get go.

In summary, there's almost no way of figuring out any realistic failure rate from the number of 1* reviews.

XueKingOfBeast

Neo Member
If you read the comments and take them as gospel, sure. You shouldn't do that.

Many of the issues are solved by powercycling televisions while the PS4 is connected, changing HDMI cables, or restarting the console itself.

This is simple. This does not merit 1 star.

2 stars in my opinion. Even if the problem is fairly simple to trouble shoot not every customer is tech savvy, and capable of doing that. Some or just normal people trying to play their new systems, which shouldnt need trouble shooting to play this early after launch.

Got mine from Amazon. It was well packaged (plenty of air bubble-things on the top and bottom), and it's working beautifully.

Why would anyone with a working PS4 bother to write an Amazon review on launch day?

Bikola

Everyone who gets a broken PS4 rates with 1 star, most people with a working PS4 don't review

Agreed, the chances of me reporting a faulty product are much higher than a product that operates as it should. People shouldn't panic over these numbers. For all we know amazon could've sold 2000 ps4 units.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Got mine from Amazon. It was well packaged (plenty of air bubble-things on the top and bottom), and it's working beautifully.

Why would anyone with a working PS4 bother to write an Amazon review on launch day?

Because of this:

Don't take the chance., November 16, 2013
By L. Castle (Tx USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PlayStation 4: Launch Edition (Video Game)
Stay away from playstation 4. I didn't get it from amazon but mine got RLOD (red light of death) .
Won't stay on for even a minute. Cant play any of the games I bought or blu-rays obviously, And apparently this is happening to A LOT of people.
$400 and requested time off from work, down the drain.
Save your money for X1.

wotta

I'd urge anyone who bought a PS4 from Amazon.com and is happy with it to write a review.

Don't let the fanboys ruin our console industry.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't consoles supposed to be simple? Plug in and play...

Yes they are, and most still prove to be that way. The sample size is unclear and the subjects providing input are not verified as having tried to even play their consoles as per my previous post where a fellow rated the PS4 one star because his mate couldn't get a picture from the box. He flat out refused to open his purchase, but was able to submit a verified one star review.

Yes they are, and most still prove to be that way. The sample size is unclear and the subjects providing input are not verified as having tried to even play their consoles as per my previous post where a fellow rated the PS4 one star because his mate couldn't get a picture from the box. He flat out refused to open his purchase, but was able to submit a verified one star review.

I wouldn't use the reviews as a measure of the failure rate. That much is certain.

Gemüsepizza;90091472 said:
Really? What if his friend did also rate it 1 star?
then there would be a problem but he said he went to a midnight release so i just assumed it was a brick and mortar stor

I'm speechless.. you don't get to give a one star review as "verified" when your item hasn't even left its packaging because your friend's console is failing for some unspecified reason.

If it's not YOUR item that is faulty, don't leave a low review score ESPECIALLY if you plan on never even opening or trying the item before you send it back. How does that make sense at all?!
im saying it accounts for a faulty console all the same

Even verified reviews doing that...those reviews just got even more worthless for this.

You're not reviewing your friend's purchase, you're reviewing yours. If you can't see the difference...
wow thanks for the eye opener

erawsd

I am truly sorry for that, but the acceptable failure rate for electronics is between three and five percent. A 20 page thread on this forum compared to the 500k viewers that can appear is far below the ISO's acceptable failure rate.

Again, I'm sorry man. If it's any consolation, there's not much that you're missing at launch. But I am sorry and hope you have better luck..

Trying to extrapolate "acceptable failure rate" based on the entirety of NeoGAF is ridiculous. Only a tiny percentage of the people here even have a PS4 right now.

I agree, I'm not missing much which is why it doesn't really bother me. However, that doesn't mean I'm dismissive of others, people have a right to be pissed and its on Sony/Amazon to make it right.

Neff

RRoDs were vicious because they happened just outside of the range where you could get a "coffin" from Amazon or the like. You had to deal with Microsoft and that was far more painful (speaking from experience).

Let's wait for 2-3 months before comparing the hardware issues to the RROD stuff

It does seem more like a manufacturing failure (near-instant lack of function or death) than design failure (delayed lack of function or death), but it's still very troubling. I'll want a PS4 at some point when the games arrive, but like anyone with sense, I want some assurance that the machine is a little more durable than these numerous day goddamn one reports are portraying.

Vooduu

Amazon just told me one of the reasons my order was delayed was because of a manufacturing error and defect that they are investigating. Apparently people were returning their consoles and there has been too many defects and errors that Sony has told them to hold their shipments which explains why so few "stragglers" have been delayed since Friday. I don't know if this is bullshit or not but this is what two supervisors just told me.

derfybzh

I'd urge anyone who bought a PS4 from Amazon.com and is happy with it to write a review.

They should have at least tested the hardware before it leaves the manufacturing plants.
That is what is ruining the console industry. I hope MS will have done it better because I will receive my One one weeks before my PS4 (Euro here)

Exile20

This is a joke? People have $400 broken consoles and you think this is some fanboy war? PS4 is the console industry?

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Impatient fucks? They shouldn't have to trouble shoot. It should work straight out of the box!

It should, you're right.

I need to bow out of this.

I really hope people can get their systems to work or get fair treatment from the vendors (what makes me even more angry is when Amazon dodges fair claims) but I just can't stand review "bombing."

Rebel Leader

only 145 one star are amazon verified purchase

Which is roughly 2-3 palaets
amazon-playstation-4-warehouse.jpg

Bikola

Amazon just told me one of the reasons my order was delayed was because of a manufacturing error and defect that they are investigating. Apparently people were returning their consoles and there has been too many defects and errors that Sony has told them to hold their shipments which explains why so few "stragglers" have been delayed since Friday. I don't know if this is bullshit or not but this is what two supervisors just told me.

WHAT!!!!?!?!?

Sinfamy

Mine is fine now, however I will say that Amazon did a terrible job at packaging.

It had bubbles on only one side, the other was left empty.

aly

Mine is fine now, however I will say that Amazon did a terrible job at packaging.

I thought it was just me who saw one like that. My friends shipment from Amazon was packaged like that too. We were like what? and why would they do that.

Rebel Leader

Same here and I can't leave packaging review.

I Contacted amazon support to tell them how poorly packaged the item was.

Between PS4 and Knack I'm honestly starting to think that Cerny sold Sony a lie, and that he's way out of his depth considering the pedestal they (and we) have put him on. Or they (and we) were stupid and desperate.

There weren't even this many RRoDs on launch day. I have a very bad feeling about this.

lol ok. Everyone acts like new products don't have defective launch units. Just look at the Nexus 7 lol.

You guys might also want to give some of the blame to your shipping carrier. While my PS4 works, the UPS girl that delivered my package today literally slammed it on the floor infront of my door instead of knocking. That was the way I knew she was here. I was horrified when I heard it because I knew it was my PS4. When I opened the door, the box looked like it had seen some tough times. Luckily, my PS4 works...so far *knock on wood*.

The box that amazon used to ship it was too big, imo also.

Rocky

Banned
I wonder if its a particular fulfillment center that this is happening at. Mine shipped from the center in Kentucky and it arrived yesterday around 1PM. The packing was fine and the console works great. I've never had any issues with shipments from Amazon, and I've ordered tons of stuff from them. It's always been great.

Though I do wonder why it shipped from KY, I live in NJ and I know they have a center in this state.

Vooduu

WHAT!!!!?!?!?

Yup, I've been on chat with amazon associates all day but after not receiving my tracking number, I demanded to speak on the phone with managers and supervisors.

Long story short, after a lot of bitching on my end, supervisor told me this is why the orders have been delayed and such in combination with high demand.

Wish I had proof but it was a phone call this time.

Tak3n

Banned

if that gets confirmed, the internet will explode!

and those poor supervisors probably fired

I feel inclined to post because I received my PS4 from Amazon and got the blue light of death right after update, Sony customer service said they have had a lot of calls about it and leads me to believe wasn't some isolated or tiny issue.

Overall I'm upset but not furious or anything, unfortunately launch failure is becoming par for the course for most launches of gaming systems. Sony rep was nice overall, recommending extended warranty though was a bit much.

*edit*

The one thing I can say is that wobble thing, which seemed so dumb pre-receiving my console is indeed annoying as hell when trying to manually turn on or hold button for safe mode, like really annoying.

~~Hasan~~

not to be that guy. but do you have a proof of this ? screen shot,, email etc

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, I've been on chat with amazon associates all day but after not receiving my tracking number, I demanded to speak on the phone with managers and supervisors.

Long story short, after a lot of bitching on my end, supervisor told me this is why the orders have been delayed and such in combination with high demand.

Wish I had proof but it was a phone call this time.

Well, to be fair... what proof are they going to give you? Any proof they would provide will likely already be leaked on the internet hours/days before.

Between PS4 and Knack I'm honestly starting to think that Cerny sold Sony a lie, and that he's way out of his depth considering the pedestal they (and we) have put him on. Or they (and we) were stupid and desperate.

There weren't even this many RRoDs on launch day. I have a very bad feeling about this.

Nothing to do with the fact that the internet and people's presence is several orders of magnitude larger than it was back at the 360 launch?

Relevant to this thread:
1aLSPS0.jpg

Vooduu

if that gets confirmed, the internet will explode!

and those poor supervisors probably fired

Well it seems like a lot of people are getting fucked PS4's, especially from Amazon. Honestly I wish I was making this up but fuck it makes me feel a tiny bit better not receiving my PS4.

not really

Sony acknowledged that there is an issue (their official estimate increased tenfold from 0.04 to 0.4 in a few hours) so they know something.

GlamFM

Banned

If this is true we might in fact have a problem.

wotta

I'm guessing most of the reviews for PS4 and the upcoming Xbox One will be fake. It's sad.

I also think websites reporting on isolated incidents is a bit premature. Maybe someone should contact Sony/Amazon for the facts and a rough idea of the current complaints/return rate.

This speculation is helping no-one and all it's going to result in is pathetic fan boy wars.

Top Bottom