• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic Park: The Game |OT| Eventually you might have gameplay in your game, right?

atomsk

Party Pooper
I just realized I had moved the graphics from "Highest" to "High" when I was trying to fix the puzzle without restarting. That's what fixed the hitching issues

Looking at the Telltale forums I'm not the only one who had issues with "Highest". You'd think it would run alright on a 5850 given how shitty the graphics are

edit: seems to be an ATI issue. WHAT A SHOCK (I still don't have Skyrim running well either)

Gameboy415

I'm dying to play this but I'm a bit miffed there was no retail release on day 1 for PS3.
Here's hoping TellTale releases it a bit later like they did with Back to the Future!

Just finished episode 1 on iPad and I must say as much as I like JP all the referenced to the films felt so shoehorned in. Dodson! Say the magic word! Etc maybe they're just trying to win points early on or paying homage to the films but it just felt a little lame. Hopefully they get a bit more creative in the rest of the episodes…

What a piece of hackwork. It looks like a late 90's cut scene. Dragon's Lair and Heavy Rain compromised on interactivity, but tried to make up for it by doubling down on visuals and presentation. This game looks bad, sounds bad, and plays bad.

I've had a bunch of problems with missing textures. Sometimes peoples voices are way too quiet, which doesn't help with the already dicey voice acting. There's a scene in the beginning where you are looking through a field and investigating various things, and every time I clicked on one it would repeat the dialog for it 3 or 4 times.

The story and dialog are fanfic level. So many lame callbacks. Remember when Nedry yelled out 'Dodgson, we've got Dodgson here!' and it was funny because of the context? It was a pretty bold move to strip mine the movie for those moments and awkwardly repurpose them instead of creating something new. If you thought it was still funny when Arnold Schwarzenegger said 'I'll be back' in Kindergarten Cop, then I guess you should pick this up when it goes on sale.

I can't believe I let TellTale dupe me again after Back to the Future.

Omikaru

CaptainAhab said:
If you thought it was still funny when Arnold Schwarzenegger said 'I'll be back' in Kindergarten Cop, then I guess you should pick this up when it goes on sale.
:lol

Ouch! Still waiting on reviews, but judging by impressions, I think I'm giving this one a miss.

This was probably a poor fit for Telltale to begin with, but you've got to admire their ambition.

I just hope it all leads to a better and more refined Tales of Monkey Island season 2.

I love Telltale and what they've done for the point and click genre.

I'm all for them growing out into other genres and experimenting, but there will be growing pains.

They should have to remove the scene where the jeep gets trashed like how they had to remove the world trade center from Zoolander.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sounds like the best JP game will remain Trespasser. Yes, I realize Trespasser is routinely slammed for its buggy, over ambitious design but back in 1998, the atmosphere and world it delivered was unlike anything else to date. It drew me in to the world like no other game and many of its flaws added to the tension. It wasn't a "great" game by any means, but it was an amazing experience if you had the patience for it. I still clearly remember running around the abandoned town, hiding in houses while trying to avoid wandering raptors. The AI was strange, but it really gave you the impression of beings existing in the game world rather than AI designed to attack. I dunno, it was quite unique.

CaptainAhab said:
What a piece of hackwork. It looks like a late 90's cut scene. Dragon's Lair and Heavy Rain compromised on interactivity, but tried to make up for it by doubling down on visuals and presentation. This game looks bad, sounds bad, and plays bad.

I've had a bunch of problems with missing textures. Sometimes peoples voices are way too quiet, which doesn't help with the already dicey voice acting. There's a scene in the beginning where you are looking through a field and investigating various things, and every time I clicked on one it would repeat the dialog for it 3 or 4 times.

The story and dialog are fanfic level. So many lame callbacks. Remember when Nedry yelled out 'Dodgson, we've got Dodgson here!' and it was funny because of the context? It was a pretty bold move to strip mine the movie for those moments and awkwardly repurpose them instead of creating something new. If you thought it was still funny when Arnold Schwarzenegger said 'I'll be back' in Kindergarten Cop, then I guess you should pick this up when it goes on sale.

I can't believe I let TellTale dupe me again after Back to the Future.
I was following your every word until the BttF comment. I had a good time with it. :\

That said, this really doesn't look great, but my original pre-order voucher allowed me to buy the deluxe version on disc for just $5. Seems like it'll be worth that much.

Mdk7

mmm... i'm halfway through episode 3, and it's getting worse and worse.
I mean, there are ridiculous scenes with fugly animations, stupid situations (completely unbelievable and sooo shitty from an action perspective) and bland dialogues.
Seriously, i've only like episode 1 up to this point. :(

civilstrife said:
This was probably a poor fit for Telltale to begin with, but you've got to admire their ambition.

I just hope it all leads to a better and more refined Tales of Monkey Island season 2.

I'm all for them growing out into other genres and experimenting, but there will be growing pains.

I don't know if you can call it experimenting when every aspect of the experience is derivative.

atomsk

Party Pooper
aaaaand done (about 5-6 hours) died about 15 times or so, really curious to go back and see all the unique death animations, but I'd just as soon wait for it to show up on youtube then deal with how awful the game looks/plays again

dark10x said:
That said, this really doesn't look great, but my original pre-order voucher allowed me to buy the deluxe version on disc for just $5. Seems like it'll be worth that much.

Agreed

Mdk7 said:
I mean, there are ridiculous scenes with fugly animations, stupid situations (completely unbelievable and sooo shitty from an action perspective)

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. I swear they animated the expressions in Garry's Mod. And the
raptor knife fight?
What the fuck were they thinking. The ep 4 stuff is just as ridiculous with the "plot twists" and OH IM A BAD GUY NOW stuff.

Not one but TWO secret dinosaurs, that the head vet knew nothing about? C'mon son

Some stuff that is just plain awful like HEY WHERE ARE MY CIGARETTES, I CLEARLY CAN'T SEE YOUR CHARACTER MODEL IS HOLDING THEM, MUST HAVE LOST THEM OH WELL!

And even though they didn't show it,
it ends like the first book ends

And for fucks sake Telltale, if I'm stuck reading a diagram to solve a puzzle, you could at least increase the resolution on the goddamn diagram. Instead it's like trying to read a map smeared in vaseline. I GUESS THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A LADDER, WHO KNOWS

No way I'd get Walking Dead on launch, waiting for reviews for sure

Mdk7

Just beat it...
It's terribly meh, and this comes from a true JP enthusiast.
Of all the game, i just save the Episode 1 (which by chance is the only one that's strongly tied to the movie and that shows things from an interesting perspective without silly shitty situations like something you get to see later on in the game).
What a mess, really...
JP deserves a kick ass game, fuck it. :(

RPGCrazied

This game don't like my 6 core processor, on max settings. I have audio issues, and frame stutters when moving to a new scene.

RPGCrazied said:
This game don't like my 6 core processor, on max settings. I have audio issues, and frame stutters when moving to a new scene.

You have to change to the "High" setting. The "Highest" setting is bugged.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
How can Telltale go from the amazing Sam and Max Season 3 (like, genuinely fantastic, high-quality stuff) to the barely an adventure game BTTF series and this?

:(

I'm holding out hope that The Walking Dead turn out alright. Aren't Rodkin and Vanaman at the creative helm of that one?

Kifimbo

Rez said:
How can Telltale go from the amazing Sam and Max Season 3 (like, genuinely fantastic, high-quality stuff) to the barely an adventure game BTTF series and this?

I'm holding out hope that The Walking Dead turn out alright. Aren't Rodkin and Vanaman at the creative helm of that one?

Jurassic Park is a licensed game. Maybe Universal had a creative influence, or more likely a monetary influence (tight budget, short deadlines, etc.). And Telltale tried something new for them and they failed.

RPGCrazied

thehillissilent said:
You have to change to the "High" setting. The "Highest" setting is bugged.

Then it looks like poo. Not that it looked great to begin with. I want to like the game. QTE be damned, just has some tech issues, I'm guessing aren't going to be fixed.

atomsk

Party Pooper
So since I bought the deluxe I had access to "commentary" which was a 3 gig zip file.

Downloaded that and it's 4 videos, totaling about 3.5 hours, of them talking over someone playing the entire game.

So weird that it wasn't built into the game

Peff

Rez said:

Yes, they're writing/directing the game, and it's supposed to save decisions between episodes ala Mass Effect, so there's that... although apparently it's Fables that will go back to the ToMI/Season 3 style of gameplay. Hopefully they can get back on track with those :(

Fox Mulder

steverulez said:
Just finished episode 1 on iPad and I must say as much as I like JP all the referenced to the films felt so shoehorned in. Dodson! Say the magic word! Etc maybe they're just trying to win points early on or paying homage to the films but it just felt a little lame. Hopefully they get a bit more creative in the rest of the episodes…

That's pretty much how I felt about back to the future after only playing the first episode. What a disappointing and mediocre game that turned out to be, and It turned me off from buying any of the other episodes.

epmode

civilstrife said:
I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what this is. I guess Monkey Island was good but they're routinely shown up by far smaller developers. They're no Lucasarts, that's for sure.

edit: I suppose it's nice that they've proven that there's a market for adventure games. That's something.

Snaku

Banned
Finished episode 1 and played a bit into episode 2. It's exactly what I expected: QTE Carpal Tunnel: The Game. That aside, I'm enjoying the story, the characters, the fanservice, and the atmosphere. The music is kinda shit, as are the visuals. Though I'm glad I read about changing the settings to High before I started, so far everything has run smoothly.

If Telltale insists on licensing these big properties, they really need to hire some better talent. This is clearly a step down quality wise from Back to the Future, and even that was pretty shoddy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Snaku said:
Finished episode 1 and played a bit into episode 2. It's exactly what I expected: QTE Carpal Tunnel: The Game. That aside, I'm enjoying the story, the characters, the fanservice, and the atmosphere. The music is kinda shit, as are the visuals. Though I'm glad I read about changing the settings to High before I started, so far everything has run smoothly.

If Telltale insists on licensing these big properties, they really need to hire some better talent. This is clearly a step down quality wise from Back to the Future, and even that was pretty shoddy.
I'm not convinced they even have the budget necessary to bring in the talent and build superior visuals. The kind of stuff that would improve the presentation might be out of their reach. Perhaps they shouldn't be pursuing this type of thing at all then? I dunno, but I doubt we'll see much better.

AEREC

Played a bit of episode one and the game seems decent enough as long as you go into knowing it's hardly a game and control is very limited....but I am glad I did not have to pay for this (free with my PS+ renewal).

As someone said above me, I really dont get how TT is being handed these licenses for beloved movie franchises and creating what looks like an amateur game.

Megasoum

Banned
CaptainAhab said:
They should have to remove the scene where the jeep gets trashed like how they had to remove the world trade center from Zoolander.

Haha

Maybe they'll blame the reddit community for the poor reviews? lol

krae_man

I was having a lot of trouble controlling the game. I could barely make out which button I was supposed to push 1/2 the time. The other half I'd find out too late that I was supposed to hold the button or press it repeatedly.

I think I'll continue playing till at least the end of chapter 1. I hope I get the hang of this and it isn't a giant pain in the ass the entire time.

strafer

So I did something stupid, I picked a resolution not supported by my monitor and now I don't get the picture back, isn't it suppose to revert back to the original if it's not supported? Anyways, I tried reinstalling the game but it didn't help. :/

Pressed all the buttons on my monitor too.

MEATER

Just watched the quick look on giant bomb. Doesn't seem like a good game to me!

And reading the first impressions here doesn't help either...

Damn it! When they annouced this I was super-hyped about it!

Pretty sure they will also mess up Walking Dead now...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well, I just beat it.

It wasn't entirely terrible... I would say my biggest complaint was the keyboard controls. The story had its ups and downs, but over all it was decent enough to hold my interest through the end.

Yeah, the story is pretty good. I'm halfway through Episode 2 on PSN and I think the game's biggest problem is not the graphics, or the QTEs, but simply the stuttering and uneven performance along with frequent loading. If the game were entirely fluid, I think it would be more appealing to everyone. Still worth a look for Jurassic Park fans, but hard to recommend to anyone else.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Okay so this is the thread where everyone acts surprised that Telltale made an adventure game, right?

I think I'll try this one out some time. Honestly, this was my previous favorite Jurassic Park game, so I know I can enjoy the adventure game format for it:

e3c1_2.JPG

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, I just beat it.

It wasn't entirely terrible... I would say my biggest complaint was the keyboard controls. The story had its ups and downs, but over all it was decent enough to hold my interest through the end.

You're just a Telltale plant.

Oh hai gaiz.

EDG7b.jpg

ATpvc.jpg

6rgqC.jpg

0KRNy.jpg

Io5pu.jpg

Kgsw3.jpg

gpXGw.jpg

I thought this was dead until someone told me it was still alive and kicking. This is a mod using the CryEngine. The screens are from last month. It's not dead.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wow that looks great. Shame we'll probably never get an official JP game that looks even close to that good.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wow that looks great. Shame we'll probably never get an official JP game that looks even close to that good.

if the JP4 movie comes out in 2-3 years time, there will probably be enough interest for a decently high budget console/PC game, maybe by then on next-gen consoles.

Oh man, I have this waiting for me at home along with Arkham City. I'm in for a night of mixed feelings.

Edit: I've tried it now and hoooo boy. I'll repost this thing I wrote to a friend on Steam.

Stu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXSMYQAfO8k
Stu: Mufasa is Jurassic Park
Stu: the Hyenas are Teltale
Stu: Simba is a fan of Jurassic Park
Stu: Scar is Spielberg
Friend: What do the Buffalo represent?
Stu: The actual game.
Stu: (wildebeest)
Friend: And Zazu?
Stu: Any number of review sites.
Friend: This is a worryingly well thought out analogy.

I started playing it last night and....... it isn't too bad. I'm enjoying the game. If the game was more like Heavy Rain where if you make a mistake the game keeps rolling along, it would have been better. I'm not going to go around defending it because honestly it isn't a game that really deserves that. Just wanted to say it isn't the worst game I've played this year. It isn't even the worse game I've played from Telltale.

Top Bottom