• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

dabig2

Ah I miss Chicago. Stuck out here on the east coast between DC and Baltimore. They just don't compare.

Though I'm naturally a NW suburban kid (Elgin/Schaumburg area), my entire extended family from both sides of parents all live in Chicago and have been since the 60s. I've probably spent around 14 summers of my brief 25 year life in the city proper. Good times.

Hopefully I can go back and visit in the summer. Maybe find a tech job in the area...

gcubed

i've lived in PA all my life, between the poconos and Philadelphia area. I love this area because its close to family, 2 hours from either NY or DC (and its inbetween places) and train rides to up and down the corridor.

That being said, my wife has a few friends and family who live in chicago and i'm there a few times a year. If i ever had to move (almost pulled the trigger when my job went away about a year ago) my first and easiest choice is Chicago. I love the city.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Do those living there still call it the Sears Tower? Your answer will determine how I judge your city.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Do those living there still call it the Sears Tower? Your answer will determine how I judge your city.

I don't know anyone who calls it Willis Tower.

Out of towners get corrected.

"Oh, have you been to Willis Tower?"

"You mean Sears tower?"

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I don't know anyone who calls it Willis Tower.

Out of towners get corrected.

"Oh, have you been to Willis Tower?"

"You mean Sears tower?"

Good good, carry on.

Seriously though, Chicago is awesome. Growing up in Miami for some reason I always had this innate dislike of Chicago. I lived in Illinois for 2 years after college though and discovered that Chicago is a damn nice city. I was super impressed by the architecture of course, and what really got my attention strolling through downtown is just how clean it's kept. After getting laid off and moving to California, my one lingering regret is that I didn't go into the city more and take advantage of it while I was there (worked in Champaign).

I wish Orlando had a Boystown or Andersonville (Girlztown). =(

We just have a scattering of bars* and no fun LGBT shops/neighborhood.

I miss my Boystown!

* and ffs they smoke in bars down here! Heathens! =((((((

joelseph

I wish Orlando had a Boystown or Andersonville (Girlztown). =(

We just have a scattering of bars* and no fun LGBT shops/neighborhood.

I miss my Boystown!

* and ffs they smoke in bars down here! Heathens! =((((((

Berlin in Boystown is poppin off recently too!

nitewulf

as a new yorker, i loved chicago when i visited. the only city where i felt i could fit in and feel at home (aside from montreal as well, but montreal is pretty small)...i went to chicago's equivalent of LES, bar hopped and had an awesome burrito from a hole in the wall place. great city.

also, sears tower was designed by a fellow bengali, so represent!

Berlin in Boystown is poppin off recently too!

God I love Berlin.

Native southside here. Grew up on 65th and Lawndale. Relocated to Diversey and Damen last year. Love this town so much.

Bricks in Lincoln Park has good pie. Pequods is my favorite though.

J2 Cool

Try Kuma's Corner for a ridiculous burger joint, around California & Belmont. Amazing. The spicy buffalo chicken tender appetizer also is a must - maybe the best thing there. They only serve $4 sodas or $6 beers, so grab water if you need to keep the price down. Otherwise Three Floyds brews are top notch.

LAj6A.jpg

L8AqG.jpg

It's 80• right now here at the beach and still give it up for a decent slice of Aurelio's pizza!

/brofist

Also loved the Pequods mention earlier. Was last there on New Years. Enjoy it every time.

joelseph

Try Kuma's Corner for a ridiculous burger place, around California & Belmont. Amazing. The buffalo chicken tender appetizer also is a must - maybe the best thing there. They only serve $4 sodas or $6 beers, so grab water if you need to keep the price down. Otherwise Three Floyds brews are top notch.

Lockdown > Kumas. Less crowded, better beer, on the Westside. Check it out!

dabig2

St. Louis is in the shit-tier of the Midwest. You're not even relevant enough to make fun of like say Detroit or all of Ohio, Wisconsin, and Indiana.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Fuck you all for not representing the Bulls in NBA GAF.

Anyways, the OP title should be revised to: Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city (in the summer).

Lockdown > Kumas. Less crowded, better beer, on the Westside. Check it out!

But it seems like such a kuma's ripoff. The whole 'metal bar with cleverly named burgers on pretzel rolls' thing seems a little uninspired.

Other random spots for good burgers are Hackney's in printers row and Flub a Dub Chubs on Broadway in Lakeview.

Anyways, the OP title should be revised to: Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city (in the summer).

Nah, winter is what we endure to get to enjoy the best city in the world the rest of the year.

You don't get that shit for free.

ChiTownBuffalo

But it seems like such a kuma's ripoff. The whole 'metal bar with cleverly named burgers on pretzel rolls' thing seems a little uninspired.

Other random spots for good burgers are Hackney's in printers row and Flub a Dub Chubs on Broadway in Lakeview.

The head chef at Kumas left to start Lockdown.

Duke's out on Clark just beyonf Best Buy and Weiner's Circle has good burgers.

dabig2

I go in there from time to time. I just don't post much on Gaf anymore these days.

ChiTownBuffalo

I'm a Nuggets fan.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I've lived here for about 14 years. This place has a lot of problems. The crime, the segregation, the corruption. Yeah, its architecture is beautiful, and there are a few neighborhoods that just can't be beat, but we can't ignore the problems.

Most on GAF never visit the West or South sides, though, so I guess that explains it. The point I guess is that Chicago is great in controlled bursts, but much of the city has serious problems.

I've lived here for about 14 years. This place has a lot of problems. The crime, the segregation, the corruption. Yeah, its architecture is beautiful, and there are a few neighborhoods that just can't be beat, but we can't ignore the problems.

Most on GAF never visit the West or South sides, though, so I guess that explains it. The point I guess is that Chicago is great in controlled bursts, but much of the city has serious problems.

As does every city. You judge a city on how you personally experience it and Chicago cannot be beat in that regard.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It's probably got 2-3 things that are actually "Chicago".

http://mattyryan.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/shit-chicagoans-say/

Wow what a bitch. Not you, the guy who wrote that blog. Who seriously gets offended by the inaccuracies in a silly little parody video? And Jesus, the rabid "you are not a real Chicagoan you little fucking transplant piece of shit" that runs through the whole thing is repulsive.

Besides, Chicago's got some pretty diverse neighborhoods, any video will obviously be biased to one or two of them. No one lives in "Chicago," they live in a part of Chicago. I've personally heard at least 60% of the items in that video, here on the north side.

Top Bottom