• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA's new Vita campaign is a #gamechanger

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Reminds me of the Wii Ambassador program:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/wii-ambassador-promotion-launches

Nintendo has begun dishing out free Wii Points to anyone helping their friends and family get online.

This is known as the Ambassador Promotion scheme. We've told you about it before.

From today, then, 500 Wii Points (around £3.50 / €5) will be awarded every time a new person takes their Wii console online.

Gold status is earned at 10 recruits, a perk of which is free access to any NES title on Virtual Console. Platinum status is obtained at 20 recruits. Get there and all NES, SNES and N64 games on VC are yours for free. You'll also have amassed a whopping 10,000 Wii Points (around £70 / €100).

nintendo_connection_ambassador_04.jpg

Loudninja

Do you guys think it's embarassing for Hulu to give me a month of free Hulu Plus to any referral I get? I've seen countless other companies do this, too. This is coming to Sony Rewards (Read: getting rewards for doing something), not from Sony Computer Entertainment to everyone with a PSN ID.
I dont get it either.

DirecTV has been doing this for months. Plenty of companies are doing this. Whatever.

Extrapolating a level of desperation based on a silly referral marketing campaign? GAF being GAF.

Mondriaan

Er, that sounds quite different than sending out an email practically begging Vita owners to market the system for them in exchange for a gift card.
What's different is that Nintendo expects their users to do the same thing for free. Not that that one thing is unique.

Another thing that Nintendo wants people to do for free is update the firmware of a Wii U that is intended as a gift.

lol at some people here....many companies do this tactic though I am not sure how successful it is. A couple of years ago sky was doing the same thing here in London where you get M&S vouchers.

rofl @ gaf's sad sad reaction over this.

Fanboys desperate to see vita fail , but why?

Is this a US thing only? A friend of mine bought a vita earlier this week, I never got this email though.

Alec

I have convinced literally 5 of my friends to buy Vitas and PS+ memberships, and they are all incredibly happy.

This promotion is too late for me. :'(

Cornbread78

wow, interesting marketing tactic, I gues it just gives the people around here another reason to trash the VITA.....

*hugs VITA*

SmokyDave

Er, that sounds quite different than sending out an email practically begging Vita owners to market the system for them in exchange for a gift card.

I really like the Vita, but holy hell is it a clusterfuck of a vision via Sony.
In essence though, the idea was for the hardcore to spread the word to the wider audience. This is the same thing, but actively solicited and with financial incentive.

I dunno, I get that ragging on the Vita is the cool thing to do but I just don't see how this is some holy shit unthinkable measure. If anything, it shows Sony are 'trying', and lord knows people have wanted them to do that for a while.

Everyone should buy this expensive paperweight. My friends and I all have one. It has an alarm clock so you can wake up at the same time as everyone else!

Oh, it also plays games.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
My bank does it. My car insurance company does it. My cellphone provider does it. My premium TV does it.

All this time I just accepted this without ever LOLing about it. I've been missing out. :p

DirecTV has been doing this for months. Plenty of companies are doing this. Whatever.

Extrapolating a level of desperation based on a silly referral marketing campaign? GAF being GAF.

The difference between DirecTV or Hulu doing this is that the Vita is a high end electronic item that should practically be selling itself, not a subscription service that depends on people paying month after month. Imagine if Apple resorted to this to try and sell their next iPhone. They'd be the laughing stock of the industry. Really this just shows that the Vita is not desirable to the market at large. Things that are selling well generally don't need referral programs.

This'll be Nintendo in a few months with the Wii U, and they'll get praise for it.

This stuff happens all the time, and it was only sent to Sony Rewards members (didn't even know that existed) not all PSN members.

BlackJace

In essence though, the idea was for the hardcore to spread the word to the wider audience. This is the same thing, but actively solicited and with financial incentive.

I dunno, I get that ragging on the Vita is the cool thing to do but I just don't see how this is some holy shit unthinkable measure. If anything, it shows Sony are 'trying', and lord knows people have wanted them to do that for a while.

It just has a desperation vibe about it that's all. People like to revel in bad press anyways, so let them have their fill.

Also, if Sony really wanted to try, they'd lower the damn price.

Top Bottom