• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
They're airing a S1 recap episode in Japan because they had a free slot, the actual first episode of S2 is on April 1.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
As much as I wanted to do it, I've gotten really busy and my plans for the OT I was going to make didn't come out how I liked it to. If you want to do the OT that's cool with me Salva. Didn't realize you got your member status back.

I vote for "My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is going to stain my hero record".
I can vote for one I came up with right?
It's what I was going to use most likely.

I really need to sit down and learn photoshop. The banner I was going to use was the 2nd anniversary manga color spread.

tumblr_odltybro051runvnao1_1280.jpg

I have the much higher resolution version

What I did was went through the whole sky background from Aizawa all the way on the left all the way to the right. The plan was to have a transparent background that fit in smoothly with the neogaf background. The text was going to be in the open space above Katsuki.

The result could have been a little bit smoother (still not sure how to deal with aliasing), but the biggest problem was when I resized the picture to a smaller resolution, the whole thing looked like crap.

They're airing a S1 recap episode in Japan because they had a free slot, the actual first episode of S2 is on April 1.

Im curious if the recap will have the new OP and ED, but assuming it does like some other recaps it might just play the songs over some random episode moments and not use the actual op and ed visuals :(

SalvaPot

As much as I wanted to do it, I've gotten really busy and my plans for the OT I was going to make didn't come out how I liked it to. If you want to do the OT that's cool with me Salva. Didn't realize you got your member status back.

I vote for "My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is going to stain my hero record".
I can vote for one I came up with right?
It's what I was going to use most likely.

I really need to sit down and learn photoshop. The banner I was going to use was the 2nd anniversary manga color spread.

What I did was went through the whole sky background from Aizawa all the way on the left all the way to the right. The plan was to have a transparent background that fit in smoothly with the neogaf background. The text was going to be in the open space above Katsuki.

The result could have been a little bit smoother (still not sure how to deal with aliasing), but the biggest problem was when I resized the picture to a smaller resolution, the whole thing looked like crap

I have the much higher resolution version (this was just quick pickup from tumblr). What I did was remove

I like that title a lot, I think its a given.

My lazy solution would just put OT2 in big letters in the top and have the O be the NeoGAF logo. But I am a lazy man. Or replace the sky with the GAF logo.

Trojita

I like that title a lot, I think its a given.

My lazy solution would just put OT2 in big letters in the top and have the O be the NeoGAF logo. But I am a lazy man. Or replace the sky with the GAF logo.

Cool. And welcome back to membership!

Mei's voice still sounds so weird. No wonder I didn't recognize the voice since it is the voice actresses first recorded role. The girl voicing Kendou has hardly been in anything either. The guy voicing Shinsou is Shaiapouf. TetsuTetsu TetsuTetsu has never had a role before. The guy voicing Nieto has hardly been in anything, but was in two high profile shows (Otto in Re:Zero and the Elvis looking guy from the scrub psychic group in Mob Psycho).

I really want to know who is voicing Endeavor and Stain.

Trojita

Oh Endeavor is being voiced by the Guild Hall Bro from Konosuba lol. The one that thinks Kazuma might be the legendary hero.

WarRock

Took almost the whole chapter (and I was going to complain!) but Horikoshi addressed all my issues with Foresight, the whole plot point of All Might dying and how that was presented last week.

Goddamn.

And I couldn't help but laugh at the nº9 hero Dragoon literally being named Ninedragon.

Trojita

Took almost the whole chapter (and I was going to complain!) but Horikoshi addressed all my issues with Foresight, the whole plot point of All Might dying and how that was presented last week.

Goddamn.

And I couldn't help but laugh at the nº9 hero Dragoon literally being named Ninedragon.

I still see a huge plot hole with Nighteye.

He should be able to see if Deku fails (then again Deku would be the one to fight fate) and should have been able to see if Mirio got AfO from All Might. He can see All Might's apparent sake years in the future for fucks sake.

WarRock

His whole point is that he was going to change the prediction though. So even if he saw that All Might wasn't going to chose the star pupil from Yuuei, he was hoping he could make it so. Actually, that is one of the things this week chapter showed me: Nighteye is not working rationally at all with this whole thing. The same way meeting Deku changed All Might and his actions, just because of Deku's will and way of looking at things/acting, Nighteye hoped he could do more, that he could change All Might's fate just because he loves him that much.

Also the chapter brought to life that there is the fact (that I correctly presumed :3) his power loses accuracy the farther he looks into the future. I think it's safe to assume he can't Foresee so easily or so quickly when trying those large scales predictions either, so it isn't just a matter of using his quirk into Deku or Lemillion and then taking a stand based on that. Plus the fact that his interpretation of facts is going to be warped thanks to his emotions and stuff.

cntr

Banned
yeah I saw that earlier, I didn't think the OVA would involve "actual" zombies, lol

it also has Tsuyu's side story and HABUKO MONGOOSE yesssss

cntr

Banned
Nope, but a friend visiting saw the new OP at a convention.

The song's good, but the opening is, weirdly enough,
just a montage of everybody stretching and getting ready for the Sports Festival.

Nope, but a friend visiting saw the new OP at a convention.

The song's good, but the opening is, weirdly enough,
just a montage of everybody stretching and getting ready for the Sports Festival.

Maybe they'll make more versions?
If it's kinda boring they're actually wasting one of the best parts of the show in terms of action and characters involved.

cntr

Banned
Maybe they'll make more versions?
If it's kinda boring they're actually wasting one of the best parts of the show in terms of action and characters involved.
I think they'll have to make multiple versions of the second OP. I mean, they'd also have to do the same for the third OP, right? The arcs get really short after the Sports Festival.

You know, it's kinda funny to realize how dramatically the tone of the show changes over time. I mean, you go from a feel-good shounen starring a meek protagonist, to some rather intense shit with Todoroki's backstory and his fight with Deku, and then you get into the stuff with Stain, and so on from there. And Deku turns into a pretty hardcore guy! And then if we end at the Kamino Ward battle, the second season of this "feel-good" shounen stops on a massive downer ending.

It's kinda funny to think about, the new viewers aren't going to be expecting that.

C77q4MMXkAUaR0x.jpg:large

Oh nice Kirishima with Tamaki is very interesting. Hopefully they get shown more in upcoming content.

I dont think All Might would die. He will beat the odds and beat the prediction proving nighteye wrong.

Wow Great chapter this week, full of emotions and all. Really liked how heartfelt the end of their discussion was. Strating this chapter with Deku hopes crushed but finishing with both of them deciding to fight it head-on was super strong. Hopefully with see Kirishima's side of things soon. Seeing Uraraka and Tsuyu working together was supper cool too.

Also I have no idea who this Shinso is, but if he is supposed to have big moments this year he better have a kickass design. The rest of the interview was also pretty fun. That Horikoshi weekly routine tho.

BTW Horikoshi's Color pages are best pages
ea3e9af9e6da68bf09495b141b4daa62.png

And I have a new wallpaper
0922ac06a8e8b2fb66ba31529d05f7b6.png

mdubs

Banned
I thought the interview with Horikoshi in WSJ this week was super interesting. He said that Spiderman is one of his biggest influences with the series, and (as we all assumed) he is generally influenced hugely by American superhero comics with this series.

cntr

Banned
The Spiderman influence isn't surprising, but it's nice to know, yeah! I remember in the Jump Ryu video showing him drawing stuff, he had some Ashley Wood artbooks on the shelf behind him. He knows his shit, yo.

Is the interview available online, or do you need a Viz subscription?

The Spiderman influence isn't surprising, but it's nice to know, yeah! I remember in the Jump Ryu video showing him drawing stuff, he had some Ashley Wood artbooks on the shelf behind him. He knows his shit, yo.

Is the interview available online, or do you need a Viz subscription?

ITs in the magazine so you need one...however they usually post the interviews later on for free on their site.

I just noticed but they changed Mirio's hero name in the Viz translation from L Million to LEMILLION. So whoever said it sounded french is now right.
a9976796416f93261b2a7072475b77a1.jpg

Veelk

Banned
I personally don't see why it matters. Lemillion or Lumillion, either way, it's the million part that is important and they got that. I agree that, because it's so insignificant, they may as well go by the author's choice of it, but I wouldn't care if they didn't.

I personally don't see why it matters. Lemillion or Lumillion, either way, it's the million part that is important and they got that. I agree that, because it's so insignificant, they may as well go by the author's choice of it, but I wouldn't care if they didn't.

I don't agree with that really. LEMILLION is a clever name, which I think is suppose to play on Tintin a french character which Mirio might be based off. LEMILLION is basically *Le million* which can be translated to *the million* in english.

What does Lumillion mean? Nothing except having million in it.

Veelk

Banned
I don't agree with that really. LEMILLION is a clever name, which I think is suppose to play on Tintin a french character which Mirio might be based off. LEMILLION is basically *Le million* which can be translated to *the million* in english.

What does Lumillion mean? Nothing except having million in it.

Lemillion doesn't mean anything either, or atleast not anything more than Lumillion. What, precisely, do you gain by adding a "the" in front of the name? Both Lemillion and Lumillion basically amount to communicating the same thing: Million, which is contextualized by the people that Mirio wants to save. For that purpose, either works.

And I don't care for the french connection. For one, if you're going to reference french, do it properly and have be Le Million, not Lemillion, because "Lemillion" doesn't mean anything in france either. Second, if his appearance is already a reference to Tintin, he doesn't need a redundant one in his name, and especially since it's just an external nod instead of holding any kind of diegetic meaning. It's not like we can assume Mirio is french just because he has that name.

Lemillion doesn't mean anything either, or atleast not anything more than Lumillion. What, precisely, do you gain by adding a "the" in front of the name? Both Lemillion and Lumillion basically amount to communicating the same thing: Million, which is contextualized by the people that Mirio wants to save. For that purpose, either works.

And I don't care for the french connection. For one, if you're going to reference french, do it properly and have be Le Million, not Lemillion, because "Lemillion" doesn't mean anything in france either. Second, if his appearance is already a reference to Tintin, he doesn't need a redundant one in his name, and especially since it's just an external nod instead of holding any kind of diegetic meaning. It's not like we can assume Mirio is french just because he has that name.

You not caring means nothing. LEMILLION is still clearly a play on words with Mirio inspiration. And what do you mean Lemilion doesn't mean anything in France? It does, it means LE MILLION. So because the words are connected it loses all meaning? So Suneater doesn't mean anything in english then? Of course it does.

LEMILLION can easily be associated with the number and the number Mirio has for a goal. One million, the million, LE MILLION. You know aiming for the million. Visé le million. That sounds pretty much like Mirio's goal to me.

LUMILLION means absolutely nothing and Horikoshi is better then that. So you saying Lemillion means the same thing has Lumillion is pretty false.

Veelk

Banned
You not caring means nothing. LEMILLION is still clearly a play on words with Mirio inspiration. And what do you mean Lemilion doesn't mean anything in France? It does, it means LE MILLION. So because the words are connected it loses all meaning? So Suneater doesn't mean anything in english then? Of course it does.

LEMILLION can easily be associated with the number and the number Mirio has for a goal. One million, the million, LE MILLION. You know aiming for the million. Visé le million. That sounds pretty much like Mirio's goal to me.

LUMILLION means absolutely nothing and Horikoshi is better then that. So you saying Lemillion means the same thing has Lumillion is pretty false.

No, it doesn't lose all meaning, it only the same amount of Lumillion does for not being a real word. We know his backstory about wanting to save a million people, his name has million in it, so we know the connection. The million is all that's necessary. After all, it's not like anybody, without knowing Mirio's backstory, will understand what "The Million" is a reference to, even if they know french and seperate the word. Because it's just a name.

You can't have it both ways. Either you're exceptionally pedantic and a stickler for proper words, in which case Lumillion doesn't work, but neither does Lemillion, or you understand through the context of the story what the name refers to, in which case it could have been FauMillion or GarMillion or XinMillion or Millionamight and you'd still have understood what it meant.

And we know this isn't a big mystery for a fact. You know why? Because when his name was revealed in the scanlation, no one was confused about what Lumillion referenced. While being a complete nonsense word, we knew he was talking about his dream because it has million in it.

Also, Considering we're trying to rate the importance of Le v Lu, something literally defined by how much a person cares, I would say me not caring is pretty significant. Not more significant than you caring, but that's how we determine whats important: by how much we care.

Fine have it your way if you think it's so trivial. I personally believe the meaning of a hero name is really important since it identifies their ideas. So the Le vs Lu is pretty significant imo.

I also like to think that Horikoshi's puts lots of thoughts in the name he gives his character, so simply saying it doesn't matter bugs me.

I mean, like, clearly Lemillion is the way it's supposed to be, and Viz should change it because... it's the way it's supposed to be?

It's not a massive betrayal of the character or anything, but it is a little (tiny) bit of a pun based on Mirio's TinTin looking self.

Top Bottom