• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliph95

His dumb pharoah outfit is great, which is weird he doesn't wear that more since his names is Phinks/Finks
i still prefer his tracksuits i just imaging him squatting while listening to electronic music and possibly calling people bro (hawkeye reference)
"Anybody seen this 12-year old boy? I'm trying to make him my new best friend."
I just need someone to practice my sword with

His dumb pharoah outfit is great, which is weird he doesn't wear that more since his names is Phinks/Finks
i still prefer his tracksuits i just imaging him squatting while listening to electronic music and possibly calling people bro (hawkeye reference)

I just need someone to practice my sword with
When he killed the boss I was like, why is he dressed as a snake?

Happy Mother's Day to the Best!Mom in anime:

Bg8ng53CcAA8APc.png

Occasionally it's fun to go back to old classics, and see how they hold up. I also think just because something doesn't hold up doesn't mean it wasn't good, it just means what we've expected of the genre has probably changed.

With that said, I can't play System Shock 2 people. I can't do it. I bounce right the hell off that game. Just moving around in that game feels off to me. Trying to fight enemies with a wrench in that game feels off to me. Everything about it feels off to me.

Xe4

Banned
Yeah, I definitely think Gundam assumes that. I wonder if it's not just Gundam, but I think it might be a big reason why Giant Robot shows fail in the US on TV. I think it's completely fair to assume that for a massive amount of the Japanese watching audience. But in the west...

HxH stuff just fuels the combat, and the new cool tech of the hour. Everything branches off the eventual violent conflict... and even when it doesn't, the fight scenes are so aggressively violent as-of-late, that it still probably feels like it was worth it, when the fight eventually happens.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I don't understand nen shit at all, probably the least of anyone on this block. But at the very least I can grasp what it's supposed to be, because I can see them fighting with it. In Gundam, I have to understand each character and their relationships with one another which means every piece of dialogue and political intrigue is important. That's just not something I have the energy to commit to after 6 shows and at 12:30 in the morning.

At the end of the day, I just don't think Unicorn is a good Toonami show, regardless of whether it's a good show or not. Similarly, I don't think something like LoGH (which I love) is a good Toonami show either. People who watch this block are looking for good characters and lots of action, with as little politics as possible. Unicorn, meanwhile seems to love building its political landscape, which can be fine, but that makes it impossible for the "average" viewer to understand.

If I was forced to put a mecha show on Toonami, it would be something either like Macross Plus (short show, I know) or The Big O, because they are clearly meant for a western audience, and their sensibilities, which would be more in line with the "Toonami demo".

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Occasionally it's fun to go back to old classics, and see how they hold up. I also think just because something doesn't hold up doesn't mean it wasn't good, it just means what we've expected of the genre has probably changed.

With that said, I can't play System Shock 2 people. I can't do it. I bounce right the hell off that game. Just moving around in that game feels off to me. Trying to fight enemies with a wrench in that game feels off to me. Everything about it feels off to me.

SS2 has always been an unplayable mess surrounded by a fantastic concept and great moments.

caliph95

Just realized the prince from Level E made a cameo
Code:
[IMG]https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/hunterxhunter/images/0/0a/Episode_36_Screenshot_2.png/revision/latest?cb=20120624140609[/IMG]

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think one of the details about HxH shocking deaths that doesn't mix with me is how death seems to mean so little to the scenes that come straight after. Basically, it's brutal in the fact it's happening, but not brutal in how the characters react.

I could imagine this has something to do with the rating and perceived audience of the show. But one of the joys of a quick kill is that a character was hurt so fast, they still carry through their actions... but the parts that DO notice are busy reacting to the horror. Case in point, something like this:

tumblr_inline_ni0wzi2c6r1smbrwx.gif

Rest In Peace Toshikazu Shiozawa, still enjoying his voice in older shows

And then still, for some reason, those in the middle of the killpocalypse rarely seem to really be as terrified as you'd expect. Attack On Titan does a pretty great job of letting you know when characters are facing their mortality, and panicking to show they're trying to find... SOMETHING in their last moments. It can get a bit hammy (Like the female scout that was begging to her father before being devoured last night), but when done right, it's a single image that covers paragraphs worth of forced back story or spoken fear:

qvwqrhaqubvwvva5j6yt.gif

HxH has a weird way or making it's fodder characters continue to march into death, rather than showing them actively trying to escape. The one death of the special troop that completely ineffectively took on Chrollo was at least kinda funny though. "Why aren't I dead..." I guess this is pretty similar to that one guy Kil played instant heart surgery on.

One of my favorite things added into the Dynasty Warriors series (I think it was around 4 or 6?) was the fact that underlings would start to flee after their groups commander was killed. Over time they started to add layers to that (such as fleeing enemies dying in a single hit, or some of the troops falling onto their butts, babbling in fear), and I really grew to appreciate how something so simple can make one feel so savage.

And then Gundam comes on, and it's a mix of one of my favorite ways to show impact from death (slow or meticulous animation!)...

f00803012e7b8f1dd9b377876cecb7baae675872_hq.gif

... but then it tosses in something that severely muddles it;

VqwnEl1.gif

... Newtype spirits that hang around and chat it up with the survivors!

GundamUC07-2014-05-21-10h05m34s252.png

While I mostly like it (truly a Gundam staple, and it does help put a lid on some loose ends), you take something away from shocking death, when you let characters fly about, getting a chance to say their last words to each person individually. Imagine how many ghost would have been about after Levi's squad death in AoT S1!

cntr

Banned
Gundam shows got pretty naff about lengthy death scenes in the 00s. Literally! Remember 00's goddamn multi-minute deaths?

It was really refreshing when Mikazuki just tapped a bunch of dudes, though IBO still messed it up with the named characters.

Machi is probably one of the weakest troupe members but considering the conditions to get in I imagine she has to be head and shoulders above most characters we have met outside the troupe.

The 2011 anime leaves out what I'm about to say, so SPOILERS

Indeed she is. In what would've happened in episode 57 - she gives Killua, of all people, advice on killing that involves aiming for the head when he attempted to off her through her chest

The episode is just about more than three chapters long, so they couldn't include that line of dialogue

I don't think Nobunaga was in the kill montage. I'd like to think he was still looking for Gon lol.

Yup, just the manga shows him being too busy laughing at him & Killua's antics at the "MAKE A BIG SHOW" panel.

There's another instance of this in a future arc in which the anime directors possibly just didn't want to break the tension/suspense that way

The 2011 anime leaves out what I'm about to say, so SPOILERS

Indeed she is. In what would've happened in episode 57 - she gives Killua, of all people, advice on killing that involves aiming for the head when he attempted to off her through her chest

The episode is just about more than three chapters long, so they couldn't include that line of dialogue

Yup, just the manga shows him being too busy laughing at him & Killua's antics at the "MAKE A BIG SHOW" panel.
Considering
what happened to thong bunny man, he listened.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think you hit the nail on the head. I don't understand nen shit at all, probably the least of anyone on this block. But at the very least I can grasp what it's supposed to be, because I can see them fighting with it. In Gundam, I have to understand each character and their relationships with one another which means every piece of dialogue and political intrigue is important. That's just not something I have the energy to commit to after 6 shows and at 12:30 in the morning.

At the end of the day, I just don't think Unicorn is a good Toonami show, regardless of whether it's a good show or not. Similarly, I don't think something like LoGH (which I love) is a good Toonami show either. People who watch this block are looking for good characters and lots of action, with as little politics as possible. Unicorn, meanwhile seems to love building its political landscape, which can be fine, but that makes it impossible for the "average" viewer to understand.

If I was forced to put a mecha show on Toonami, it would be something either like Macross Plus (short show, I know) or The Big O, because they are clearly meant for a western audience, and their sensibilities, which would be more in line with the "Toonami demo".

It's a weird shame, because I love the fact Gundam isn't the samey "young-dudes-kill-foolz" stuff the rest of the block can be. Gundams that lean towards that (Wing, IBO) are more popular in the west, and on Toonami, but besides having Giant Robots... they're not really "Gundam" shows. I enjoy Build Fighters as fun reverence to "real" Gundam, not because it cuts out the politics and stuff, like many do.

I've often had more fun with not-so-Toonami shows like Death Note and Moribito on ASA, and the comedy aspects of DB Super than some of Toonami's fodder. If Toonami ever permanently gets more hours again, I'd love to see an hour or 2 dedicated to more cerebral /goofy / Seinin-style shows. Like, specifically let viewers know that the upcoming shows aren't strictly just action pr0n.

Gundam shows got pretty naff about lengthy death scenes in the 00s. Literally!

00 never bothered me as much, I think it's mostly SEED that felt like a dark era for the brand to me (even though I've yet to see SEED Destiny). Part of it might be that by the time 00 got on TV, I was so happy to see Gundam on TV again, that I was just hyped every week. "Lock-On... Lock-On..."

It was really refreshing when Mikazuki just tapped a bunch of dudes, though IBO still messed it up with the named characters.

Mika is fairly nice in the world of Gundam. He's still my least favorite aspect of IBO, though. He's probably a perfect follow-up and bit of evolution to Heero for most western Gundam watchers though. He's like a COD character walkin' around in a Japanese romanticized version of war.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Either that line was from a different episode/scene or it's fake, because that shot is from the final episode & it's during the scene where Faye is talking about how she got her memory back, but nothing good came from it. & that was after Spike was talking about "seeing the past in one eye, the present in the other"

We haven't seen Kortopi do jackshit.

Is he the Zetsu of the group?

Some members just have Nen Hatsu that has no fighting capability at all. So while Kortopi probably could beat Gon in arm wrestling (we are assuming He's stronger then Shizuku's non-dominant hand) and could wreck most normal people with little worry; there's no need for him to join in the chaos and risk himself...now why is Pakunoda there? Idk, I guess she really wanted to shoot people or something.

And I personally don't like it when a series introduces destiny without hinting that it had it before, like One Piece. And it's not like the concept of fighting destiny is weird in Japan.

You might have forgotten, but the concept of fate and destiny are reoccurring themes in One Piece and has been since Logue Town.
There are even side characters talking about Luffy's destiny since volume 11.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You might have forgotten, but the concept of fate and destiny are reoccurring themes in One Piece and has been since Logue Town.
You even have characters talking about Luffy's destiny since volume 11.

Yea, there's been Luffy/Roger parallels since almost the beginning of the story.

cntr

Banned
There are even side characters talking about Luffy's destiny since volume 11.
Yeah, but I always thought that was a general thing about aiming to be a pirate and living up to romantic pirate ideals. Stuff like Luffy totally ignoring his parentage and encouraging people like Chopper and Robin to escape the life they were born into went with that.

But
all the stuff about the Will of​ D, the voice of all things, and Joy Boy makes it clear that it's specifically​ Luffy who was always destined to find One Piece. Nobody else would've​ been able to do what he's done, which undermines the One Piece message of freedom and choosing your future with your own power. It's not Naruto bad, but I don't like it.

It doesn't help that I played Bioshock before it.

In any case, I'm still going to try out the remake whenever they decide to release it in the next century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom