• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Update adds Off TV play for Wii mode (but you can't use gamepad to control)

OmahaG8

A tiny TV for the henpecked Nintendo fan to play alone when chased into their punishment crawlspace where a normal TV would never fit. Bathe in the warm glow of old Wii games as they remember bygone days of being allowed to play them on the big screen. It gets the hose again.

Heh

steveovig

Wow this is really stupid and pointless right now. Why even release this in this state? Why not wait until they get it so you can use the Pad to play shit?

Neiteio

I hope this announcement gets its own five-minute time slot in the Nintendo Direct tomorrow. Imagine seeing Iwata waggling a Wiimote in front of a GamePad while sitting on the can.

Yamauchi

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

Truly 'amazing'...

Cbajd5

What's the technical hurtle that prevents them from letting wii pro/classic controller games work on the gamepad?

I'm guessing the gamepad controls aren't done over Bluetooth, like the Wii Remote/its add-ons/the Wii U Pro Controller.

Lunzio

Even though it seems half-baked, I think a lot of people are approaching it from a negative viewpoint.

It's something you didn't have. It's a new option. It doesn't take away from anything. Be happy for once.

What's the technical hurtle that prevents them from letting wii pro/classic controller games work on the gamepad?

One of these:

They love the wiimote so strongly they can't imagine anyone disagreeing, much like how many gaffers hate the thing to that extent. Thus they don't think it's a priority.

Not enough time to add it and it'll be in a future update.

They didn't think of this feature until they'd already made some aspect of the console and there turned out to be something weird and bitchy in the programming because software development can suck very hard sometimes.

The extra step of "pretend the gamepad is a wiimote with the classic controller plugged in" added noticeable lag to the streaming process.

Now watch Nintendo spend about 10 minutes of tomorrow's direct on this while someone could just as easily explain it in 10 seconds.

Shahadan

Wow this is really stupid and pointless right now. Why even release this in this state? Why not wait until they get it so you can use the Pad to play shit?

Because they can't unless they add a specific software or patch every wii game, a large number of which wouldn't even work with gamepad control.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Like I said in the main update thread I am really surprised there's not fallback button mapping for classic controller support. If you didn't launch a game which requires a wiimote+nunchuk, I think it would be seamless. The Wii game would detect a CC or CC Pro as being present. That would allow a great many Wii games to be played with just the gamepad.

Tuck

Man too bad the Wii U doesn't read gamecube games.

Can't say I'd ever use this if you can't control the game with the gamepad but w/e kinda neat.

Well, to be fair, they'd have to find a way to spoof the Gamepad's inputs to seem like they were coming from a Classic controller. Having it recognize the gamepad stream as an acceptable TV output option was probably a lot easier than that, honestly.

Not saying it can't be done, but this is honestly all I ever wanted. A native 480p LCD display for my Wii (u).

AzaK

Even though it seems half-baked, I think a lot of people are approaching it from a negative viewpoint.

It's something you didn't have. It's a new option. It doesn't take away from anything. Be happy for once.

It took away from developer hours where they could have been spent on another worthwhile features. Honestly, Wii games on the Gamepad where you can't use the gamepad as a controller are completely and utterly useless. Who the fuck is going to prop that up in front of them to play a Wii game? Seriously. Are people that starved for Wii gaming time on their bigger TVs?

Iwata it's time to stop making decisions buddy.

That time passed a long, long while ago.

Darryl

Banned
This is the stupidest feature I've read about in a long time.

I was sitting there playing Wii games the other day and thought that the game not displaying on the gamepad was the stupidest lack of feature ever since it is apparently so simple that it'd probably take hours to go in and implement. They do it and it's an outrage now because they didn't do y and z as well.

StevieP

Banned
One of these:

They love the wiimote so strongly they can't imagine anyone disagreeing, much like how many gaffers hate the thing to that extent. Thus they don't think it's a priority.

Not enough time to add it and it'll be in a future update.

They didn't think of this feature until they'd already made some aspect of the console and there turned out to be something weird and bitchy in the programming because software development can suck very hard sometimes.

The extra step of "pretend the gamepad is a wiimote with the classic controller plugged in" added noticeable lag to the streaming process.

Or, the correct one, "doing 100% BC requires the system to become a Wii. Thereby removing any ability for the console to recognize anything beyond what the Wii had". It's not emulation, it's a virtual machine that is literally a Wii. Breaking the 99.9% BC it has isn't really a good option, because it's not emulated.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Actually this sounds great to me. It's basically Vita Remote Play, but with a required controller.

Really easy to play WIi games and non-transferred VC games without needing the TV; sure, you might need a stand, or some books to prop it up on, but it still offers another way to get to your games without taking up the TV.

I think it's a great way to offer some off-gamepad play universally, while they work at getting more VC games natively running on the Wii U. I love the idea at getting to play at some older Wii games, while my TV is taken up.

How can anyone spin this as negative and pointless? I think it's quite a nice add-on for a free update.

And it can be updated from here... they can add Wii Gamepad and various controller support as time goes on... I think it's a great first step.

Google Translated Ninty's japanese patch notes for those not able to:
Major changes due to updates to the 4.0.0J
Add the ability to output to the Wii U GamePad a picture of Wii-only software
I was able to be output to the Wii U GamePad the image of the Wii-only software. You can choose from "both the GamePad and TV" or "TV only" the output destination. (※ 1)
Added functionality to automatically receive software to deliver from Nintendo
Future, we have to be able to automatically receive in the "communication when did" the software recommended for trial to be delivered from Nintendo.
Corresponding input by USB keyboard
In the scene software keyboard is available, I have to be able to use a USB keyboard. (※ 2) Click here for information on the operation has been verified USB keyboard

Added settings Nintendo Network ID
It is now possible to set whether to use the services of Nintendo Network such as smart phones and personal computers, from devices other than the Nintendo game console.
When using the Wii-only software, I now supports Dolby Pro Logic II surround output. (※ 3)
"Updating the Wii U menu"
Place the Wii U on the menu icon in the "friends list", it is now possible to start the "friends list" from the Wii U menu.
Updating the "Settings"
I have to allow the setting of the automatic receipt of the software in the "Internet".
I have to be able to select the sound output of cable TV in the "TV". You can if you are connected with an HDMI cable, and outputs it to the speakers of the commercial sound in conjunction and "Wii-only AV cable". Click here for details

If the operation of the power supply is OFF is enabled in the "Setting the Power", I was able to be set in hourly operation interval.
"Updating the Wii U Chat"
The incoming response time from friends or outgoing to friends, I was able to be confirmed by Miiverse profile opponent.
It is now possible to call using the headset that is connected to the Wii U GamePad.
Updating the "Internet Browser"
You have to allow the / fast-forward operation rewind a certain time in the L / R button on the Wii U GamePad During movie playback. I can also fast-forward playback Press and hold the R button.
If you are logged in to the web site using your user name and password, it is now possible to save the user name and password you entered. (※ 4)
If you start the Internet browser by interrupting the software, you can now be uploaded to the web site, such as bulletin boards and blogs, the image of the Wii U GamePad screen tv screens and soft interruption.
I have to be able to view a PDF file on the website. (※ 5)
As a function of the web site developer, I have to be able to use the developer tools and switching of user agent.
Improved convenience and stability of the system
As you can enjoy more comfortable, it has been improved convenience and stability of the system.
(※ 1)
It does not correspond to the operations in the Wii U GamePad. You can instead of the TV screen, playing by displaying the game screen to GamePad. In order to enjoy a Wii exclusive software, operation by the Wii Remote or Wii Remote Plus is required.
(※ 2)
Some, there is also software you can not use a USB keyboard.
(※ 3)
I am limited to Dolby Pro Logic II compatible software.
(※ 4)
The user name and password that are saved, you can delete the "Internet Browser" in the "Settings".
(※ 5)
Depending on the data size and format of the PDF file, you may not be displayed correctly. In addition, you will not be able to save the PDF file.

Dryk

If this is a stepping stone towards Wii VC on the Gamepad then I can get behind it. Hurry up Nintendo so I can unplug and abandon my Wii :p

WhyMe6

Wow, this is an awesome update.

Any word yet on how blurry 480p Wii games look on the gamepad? Any better, due to the smaller screen?

Also, I don't really mind that I can use the gamepad to play. I can just sit it in the gamepad stand or on my lap and, especially for classic controller games, things will work great.

Judging by the reactions in this thread, it would've been better if Nintendo didn't have BC at all

Basically. They gave us the ability to downgrade our tv when playing Wii games. That's not really what I want. Portability like that is pointless if I have to lug around a wiimote and nunchuck with the gamepad.

Yeah, I'm going to try Tri (HA) after this LONG update installs (40mins o_O) and see if CCPro is mapped to the Pad.

At the very least, this eliminates upscaling as it's basically native-res on the GamePad.

Also, the Pad can have a stand, so you don't have to play on your lap.

Top Bottom