• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii firmware updated to 3.0U (Clock on dash, minor channel changes)

ethelred

I'm liking the Wii Shop overhaul so far. The addition of a news bar at the bottom of the front page is nice, I imagine, for people hwo don't read GAF or Nintendo press releases... I guess.

Adding more sort & search options within the catalog itself is obviously a good thing, because the three options they had already weren't the best.

NMan

aeolist said:
So is the gameplay video section somewhere in the Shop Channel now or is it something that's coming later?
You have to use the internet channel and go to wii.nintendo.com

Narag

BrandNew said:
You have to go to the site from either on your PC or on the Wii broswer. Not directly in the Shop channel.

Quite meaningless, really.

That's been around forever though, hasn't it?

aeolist said:
So is the gameplay video section somewhere in the Shop Channel now or is it something that's coming later?
Nope

The Shop Channel aesthetic is basically unchanged, only some changes in organization. I would imagine it'd be a lot more welcoming to new Wii owners with the different forms of sorting.
I'm too lazy to take pics right now to show off the new style

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Japanese internet channel has a popular soft ranking section, seems like its all been reorganized.

You can search by Publisher and Genre now! yay!

sprsk

And you can actually search for shit, like with an actual search field.

Envelopes on your message board seem to be a different color, now they are white instead of yellow.

Edit: it appears thats only for the games you played today.

ethelred

sp0rsk said:
Japanese internet channel has a popular soft ranking section, seems like its all been reorganized.

You can search by Publisher and Genre now! yay!

Ocarina of Time is listed in the RPG genre.

Oh dear, this won't do at all.

Why do they have all the platformers under action or adventure? There should be a platformer genre listed.

sp0rsk said:
And you can actually search for shit, like with an actual search field.

Yes, I typed Donkey and it returned every DK games available.

ethelred said:

Castlevania is in the shooter section. :lol

When I installed the update, I noticed that the clock was an hour slow. Great, another clock to adjust for Daylight Saving Time. Thanks, Japan. -_-;;;

Nice update to the Wii Shop Channel, though. The interface was certainly getting to be a mite cumbersome, though I'm still aghast at the lack of integrated gameplay videos. WTF? Having a list of popular titles is a nice thought, but we need more info. Over what time period are the rankings calculated? Somehow I doubt Paper Mario is the most-downloaded title LTD.

ethelred said:

All of the Zelda titles were in the Adventure category, where they should be. But indeed, Ocarina ought to be removed from the RPG section.

Somnid

Unsurprisingly the most popular titles are entirely Mario, though at least Shining Force and Punchout made the first page.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
GrimReaper said:
Yes, I typed Donkey and it returned every DK games available.

I bet you were disappointed when what you were really looking for didn't show up, eh?

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Narag said:
That's been around forever though, hasn't it?

It's been around for a while, yes, but with the advent of the news bar when you first load up the new Wii Store one of the bars reads something along the lines of "You can watch demo videos of Virtual Console Games! Click here to find out more!" Which, of course, just gives you the URL to visit. It's not very helpful, and I can see how people can get confused and think there are now videos in the store itself.

DMczaf

Popular Titles

Paper Mario
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2
Mario Kart 64
Super Mario World
Super Mario 64
Punch Out
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Shining Force
The Legend of Zelda

Star Fox 64
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Donkey Kong Country
Kirby's Adventure
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Street Fighter II Turbo
Kirby's Dream Course
Pac-Man
Excitebike
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

ZealousD

I'm very surprised that Gunstar Heroes isn't on that list.

I'm also surprised that Shining Force is!

ZealousD said:
I bet you were disappointed when what you were really looking for didn't show up, eh?

Search results:

FAAE-01.gif
FABE-01.gif
FBIE-01.gif
JAEE-01.gif
JBDE-01.gif

cvxfreak

Oh shit, I just got an error code doing the Japanese update.

エラーコード:32004
エラーが発生しましたため、Wii本体の更新ができません。

Basically, due to error code 32004, I'm unable to do an update.

Is the error the same as the other regions?

JSnake

So, my Wii said the update failed, but then I returned to the menu and the clock and stuff was there. :/

mutsu

sp0rsk said:
The top gameo n the Japanese store is Fuurai no shiren 2 believe it or not.

Wow. That game is popular, but didn't know it's THAT popular to warrant a place in the top spot.

sprsk

This reminds me, the Japanese store should be seeing MSX and Neogeo games this month.

After the update go back to the update section on the Wii to "test update" and a new message thats never been there before pops up and saids something to the affect of the new update will "disable/lock up" the Wii if it has been modified, it then said you can cancel this update by holding down the power button for 4 secs.

I wonder what its looking for in a modified Wii?

cvxfreak said:
Oh shit, I just got an error code doing the Japanese update.

Basically, due to error code 32004, I'm unable to do an update.

Is the error the same as the other regions?

Had that error here in Europe too.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
GrimReaper said:
There is a "More details" section for each games, with screenshots and a short description of the game. Is this new?

No, that's been there.

Somnid

Oh it's not readily apparent but by clicking on the title bar on the first page it brings up 2 more pages of recommended titles, it's not just limited to the 4 shown.

They are:

Super Mario Bros
Super Mario World
Waverace 64
Shining Force
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
Paper Mario
Sonic th Hedgehog 2
Air Zonk

Legend of Zelda
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario Bros 2
Sonic the Hedgehog
Donkey Kong Country
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Punchout
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Internet Channel
Everybody Votes

ZealousD

I just had a thought. Could that most popular list be something like a "Most Popular This Week"?

It's the only reason I can figure Shining Force and some of the other games being so high.

cvxfreak

:/

Now I received this message the second time I tried:

エラーコード:32002インターネットのエラーにより、Wii本体の更新ができません。しばらく待ってやり直してください。

It's blaming my internet connection now.

Somnid said:
Oh it's not readily apparent but by clicking on the title bar on the first page it brings up 2 more pages of recommended titles, it's not just limited to the 4 shown.

They are:

• 15/20 are Nintendo published. Nintendo went back in time to not give a shit about 3rd parties confirmed.

cvxfreak

Well... for what it's worth, my Japanese Wii firmware is still updated despite these errors. I see the clock and the new features. Oh well! :lol :lol

エラーコード:32002インターネットのエラーにより、Wii本体の更新ができません。しばらく待ってやり直してください。

Translation: "Dear hacker, we know what you did, so we've bricked your system. Merry Christmas!"

Error Code: 32002. The Wii system cannot be updated due to an Internet error. Please wait a few moments and try again.

Damn, got another error. Hang on, I've got the clock. But not the ticker. YOU LIE.

I'm trying again, but this time it's brought up a "AGREE TO UPDATE PLZZZZ" box.

mutsu

MrTroubleMaker said:
After the update go back to the update section on the Wii to "test update" and a new message thats never been there before pops up and saids something to the affect of the new update will "disable/lock up" the Wii if it has been modified, it then said you can cancel this update by holding down the power button for 4 secs.

I wonder what its looking for in a modified Wii?

Wow, is this true? If it is my friends are going to be in trouble :D Most of them has modded Wii... I am glad I don't.

zallaaa

there's a new warning-advice about the risk of updating the wii if it has undergone "non-authorized technical modification". at least, that's the first time I've ever seen it...

ITALIAN VERSION!
4tibak3.jpg

"IMPORTANT: if your console has undergone non-authorized technical modification, this update could make it unusable. If you do not want to download the update, please shut the console off holding the POWER button for 4 (four) seconds: this operation shall cancel the update."

edit: damn, late :p

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
And that is the #1 reason why I do not own a mod chipped console.

Anyone get pics?

Top Bottom