• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii firmware updated to 3.0U (Clock on dash, minor channel changes)

is everyone's clock centered above the date? mine is way off to the right and it also says whether the time is am or pm... just wondering, since someone posted a picture of the wii menu showing the time at 16:00, and obviously without the am/pm... and it was centered. >_>

R-User!

5 mins... [wii post]

why does my forecast channel show a "sun" and its past midnight here?... [f channel last updated @ 5:00pm....... :mad:

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
moarwiishop1.jpg

moarwiishop2.jpg

moarwiishop3.jpg

moarwiishop4.jpg

moarwiishop5.jpg

moarwiishop6.jpg

moar

VOOK

cvxfreak said:
Someone with a modded Wii willing to take the plunge to see what happens? :lol

Few people have reported back that its fine, but yeah who knows.

bigmakstudios said:
is everyone's clock centered above the date? mine is way off to the right and it also says whether the time is am or pm... just wondering, since someone posted a picture of the wii menu showing the time at 16:00, and obviously without the am/pm... and it was centered. >_>

I don't have the update, so I can't check myself, but can you "pinch" (A+B) and drag it across horizontally, like how you can move the channels around?

My update isn't working :( It starts the update and the progress bar refuses to move.

Also WTF Nintendo! why is there still no way to run our VC games and channels from SD Card?! Before anything else, THIS is the option that you need to implement dammit!

angelfly

I happy they decided to update I'm just horribly disappointed at the update. Is it possible to disable the clock in the menu? It just looks so out of place.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Damn it, I took the european update, and now the News Channel, Forecast Channel and Wii Shop Channel don't work!

Another small change not mentioned in the OP:

- The settings menu pages can now be navigated with the - and + buttons.

EDIT: The Forecast Channel now works, but the News Channel and Wii Shop Channel wtill can't connect to their servers.

later

CreatureX3 said:
The best improvement is the faster loading when exiting a channel back to the Wii menu! :D

I'm not noticing this -- the disc is still being accessed every time I leave a channel..

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Okay, I've updated, and the Forecast channel is showing me... the moon. :lol

What kind of a useless preview is that?! It's not even nighttime here!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
VOOK said:
Few people have reported back that its fine, but yeah who knows.

yeah, but some people reported back that the Xbox firmware mod was fine, then they all got owned simultaneously.

oatmeal

Banned
What they NEED to do is put a clock in the home button thing that pops up when you press it during game play.

It's nice that they did so much with one update though...looking forward to the next one...in 6 months.

WIIIIIIIIII!!!!

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Nice theres finally another update, but I mean... come on! Theres so much shit that can be updated and vastly improved in the interface, and functionality of the wii, even small things that can make a big difference that theyre not touching. Comparing the effort that is put in these updates to that of the PS3 updates is just ridiculous

And damn, that juxtaposition of the clock font with the date font is probably one of the ugliest interface things Ive ever seen. I mean, its just wrong, no 2 ways about it. Design 101, that just doesnt work and DOES increase the ugly of the main screen by quite a bit.

Tenbatsu

Polari said:
Something smaller and with a better font. Is that too much to ask?

Agreed. Dunno how it look in real, the pic lok ugly though. Wil do my update when i get home to see it myself.

Dez

the-iek said:
well, you already knew that, didn't you? ;P some members from other forums also confirm that wiikey is safe, myself included.

haha, well one Ninja on gaf is plausible, two probably not :p

E-phonk

Banned
The people who say wiikey = save. Do you mean your wii still boots, or did you all test some of the NTSC/PAL games?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Somebody tell me about Wiikey, cause for some reason I don't think Metroid Prime 3 is gonna come out here.

VOOK

sp0rsk said:
Somebody tell me about Wiikey, cause for some reason I don't think Metroid Prime 3 is gonna come out here.

Don't worry your will probably still get it before us.

E-phonk

Banned
sp0rsk said:
It's the most popular modchip out there at the moment, works good for most games (some issues with audio on certain gamecube games and some JNTSC games that fail to work). They also allow gamecube homebrew (dvd player, emulators). It's a drivechip, so normally they can't be detected, but nintendo could offcourse put some extra detection mechanisms on the region check to disallow foreign games.

The other popular project is OpenWii/WiiFree, an open source modchip.

Edit: There have been some issues though, but only with people who don't update their firmware. This is because certain games force the Wii to the latest firmware (that is included on the game-dvd), and if it's a console from another region, it will update you firmware to the firmware of that region - thus destroying your wii. Afaik there is a restoredisc solution for this. The first game that people had this problem with was paper mario. But again, this has only been a problem for people who don't install the latest firmware of their own region manually.

thefro

Yeah, the transition time when going back to the main menu is definitely significantly faster. Probably speeds up starting up games too.

The blue light on the front also lights up when you put in a disc/take it out.

thefro

And the biggest fix is one most haven't even noticed... put your ear up to the console when you power it off
The fan is now running in WiiConnect24 mode, so no more overheating issues

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
thefro said:
And the biggest fix is one most haven't even noticed... put your ear up to the console when you power it off

Wow yeah, I just felt it and it is running cooler.

Lobster

Banned
thefro said:

Thats good..but I still don't think ill use it :\ Im still too scared.

The fan is now running in WiiConnect24 mode, so no more overheating

Sagitario

thefro said:

That's good news of course, but that wont fix the faulty GPUs...

Edit: And what about my electricity bill... damn you Nintendo!
165fs346637.gif

I'm joking!

Mithos

thefro said:

Great but still to late.. i'll buy a new Wii later this year coz my gfx is already fried =(

Lobster

Banned
You reckon some of you guys could give a report after having Wiiconnect24 on for a whole day? It would be much appreciated...only if you feel like it though.

Top Bottom