• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Feels like this is all building towards its own version of the "Sayian Arc" if y'all know what I mean (not that DBZ invented that narrative but its just the first place my mind goes). Will be interesting to see how things go :)

I think we need to remember that Amethyst is essentially a child/teenager herself in Gem terms. In a lot of ways Steven is much more mature then Amethyst is. Notice how he was trying to adhere to his ridiculous 1000 year TV band even with two of his parental figures were willing to disregard it.

Amethyst emotional immaturity makes total sense now that we know more about her background. Now we also know that she has Abandonment issues. Losing Rose, her Mentor/Mother figure and losing Greg a one time best friend. Also seeing has how she was Alone at Kindergarten for so long until Rose found her, it's a safe bet to think she may have been rejected by the home world Gems. No wonder she lives in a giant junk pile and refuses to throw anything away like she's been.

In the last few episodes Amethyst has gone from my lest liked Gem into one of the most interesting characters on the show to me.

I mean I understand "why" she did what she did but even with abandonment issues and even if we peg her at the maturity level of a teenage (which should still be greater than Steven's for what its worth) it doesn't make it not an asshole-ish thing to do.

vypek

I love that the first season is heading for the climax with a mutli-day event next week. Seems like we'll get a lot of answers about gem history

rexor0717

Cool episode, but I didn't like the weird Steven animations. It was interesting that Peridot didn't know who the Crystal Gems were. Maybe they think they're more infamous than they really are.

Hamlet

Another great episode. Interesting that Peridot seems to have no idea who the Crystal Gems are. Those books Connie and Steven were reading sounded abit like His Dark Materials to me.
Really looking forward to next week now that Peridot knows about them and is reporting it to her higher ups.
Adorable.
tumblr_nkrlikd5Lg1u1e188o1_500.gif

vypek

Maybe Peridot was just confused at the group name. They're all named after gems so it might be weird to hear that name. If they said their names individually then she may have understood who they are and what they have done.

TheOGB

Banned
At the very least, there could be more than just two factions at play here. Depends on how the transformed gems fit into all this; Peridot seems to be pretty high up, but still reports to some higher authority. Lapis Lazuli seemed pretty chill, she just wanted to go home and live. Maybe she's a civilian? If a part of this unknown antagonistic force at all, I'd think lower rank than whatever the Crystal Gems could have been, and they're probably like cops gone rogue or something.

How deep does this go?

IronRinn

Another great episode. Interesting that Peridot seems to have no idea who the Crystal Gems are. Those books Connie and Steven were reading sounded abit like His Dark Materials to me. Really looking forward to next week now that Peridot knows about them and is reporting it to her higher ups.
Adorable.
tumblr_nkrlikd5Lg1u1e188o1_500.gif
Exactly what I thought.

I wonder if the Crystal Gems have been MIA for so long, the other gems have forgotten who they were.

Hamlet

Next week is going to be good.
Good indication on what that two-parter will be now on Thursday.
tumblr_nkpwayMMRP1smn4pqo1_1280.jpg

BRACE YOURSELVES!

You’ve heard the rumors, the rumblings, and the whispers but here’s the truth- #STEVENBOMB is real and it’s coming next week!

Join us every day at 5:00 pm next week for a brand new episode of Steven Universe! And don’t you DARE miss Thursday’s Special TWO-PART episode!

All together that’s SIX episodes in one week! You wanted more Steven? YOU GOT IT! GET READY!

Special advisory for the spoiler conscious: the crew and CN have submitted material to the press to promote this event. Some of the material may contain spoilers. If you desire a “pure” watching experience, it may be in your best interest to stay away from articles and any places where those articles get re-posted! Have Fun!
stevencrewniverse

I wonder how many of the steven bomb episodes are going to be plot related. I feel like at this point it would be very strange for the jems to relax and goof off again after discovering a threat this dangerous is coming

I wonder how many of the steven bomb episodes are going to be plot related. I feel like at this point it would be very strange for the jems to relax and goof off again after discovering a threat this dangerous is coming

from the previews seem like a decent amount of them are plot related. I don't care if it necessarily advances the plot as long as I get more Steven/Connie or Steven/Pearl moments.

rexor0717

What if Gems don't typically live for thousands of years, but the Cystal Gems have because they've been killing/containing other gems. Its not the reason they've been stomping other Gems, but its a bonus. Also, what if there are multiple Garnets, Pearls, etc. They kindergarten looks like it has a fuck ton of gems that came out of it, but I don't know if there are that many types of gems/minerals on Earth.

Zubz

Banned
WHAT. THE. HELL.

tumblr_inline_nkngnmfZxe1rty80m.png

I don't know where that schedule is from, but both Zap2it.com and CN's own site are now listing Rose's Scabbard airing on Monday at 5PM. CartoonNetwork.com goes even further by also listing Message and Political Power on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively. If this is all legit, than we are having one hell of a week next week.

5 6 new episodes, 5 days a week, airing at 5PM. Starting Monday. With a 1/2 hour special on Thursday. Episodes airing out-of-order, title changes, dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA!

Gah. That covers the rest of Season 1. I really hope this is for a good reason, and not to burn it. But hey, it's my Spring Break, so I can actually catch them all live, if I wanted. I'm pretty hype for this, especially to see the plot move forward!

Hamlet

I’ve been hearing very weird sonic disturbances all week and I finally caught one on camera! Perhaps it’s a Polymorphic Sentient… Comet?! I’ll have to do more investigating, but I have a feeling something BIG is going to happen in Beach City next week. Maybe EVERY DAY, ALL NEXT WEEK.

I’ll have to WATCH the C.A.R.T.O.O.N. NETWORK to get to the bottom of this. You know, the Comet/Asteriod Research Telescope Observing Objects Nationwide Network set up by the government to make sure comets don’t hit commercial airliners. I’ll be watching that AT 5pm every day when they post their stats.
keepbeachcityweird

So far ahead. Most likely the Season 2 finale.
We just finished breaking the 104th ep of Steven Universe! I've never done anything 104 times or never been paid to do anything 104 times.
Ben Levin

Exactly what I thought.

I wonder if the Crystal Gems have been MIA for so long, the other gems have forgotten who they were.

Peridot says that something called 'The Red Eye' didn't report them, and that the records claimed all Gems on Earth were wiped out.

So it's less like they were forgotten and more like they were assumed dead.

Also, the Crystal Gems mentioned that they'd never seen Peridot(during her first appearance) before. So her not knowing them, plus the way she refers to records of Earth rather than any first-hand experience, makes it seem like she just wasn't around for whatever big event occurred all those years ago.

Maybe she's a (relatively) new Gem? By which I mean she's younger than whatever happened on Earth. Either that, or the Gems who weren't on Earth(they've apparently got plenty of other planets after all) had no idea what actually went on.

Is it worth watching this cartoon from the start? I'm mostly interested in the story because I love cartoons with stories like Adventure Time.

KiN0

Good episode. The stage has definitely been set for the season finale. This episode had me questioning somethings though. I thought peridot sent that first space droid because lapis had returned to home world and informed the other gems of the crystal gems existence. However, she didn't even know who they were.

On a side note, I;m glad we got an explanation for the red eye. I've been waiting for that to be brought up.

Is it worth watching this cartoon from the start? I'm mostly interested in the story because I love cartoons with stories like Adventure Time.

It's not entirely like Adventure Time as 90% of the time AT is about light hearted, sometimes black, comedy aimed at adults. While Steven Universe does have its comedy its main appeal is probably how... what's the word? Sincere? Likable? Its cast is. If you like the story heavy episodes of Adventure Time and the musical aspect then you'll love this. Rebecca Sugar used to work in AT. She made some fantastic songs and episodes in the show, such as the episode where Marceline and the Ice King hang out in her apartment.

Good episode. The stage has definitely been set for the season finale. This episode had me questioning somethings though. I thought peridot sent that first space droid because lapis had returned to home world and informed the other gems of the crystal gems existence. However, she didn't even know who they were.

On a side note, I;m glad we got an explanation for the red eye. I've been waiting for that to be brought up.

IDK how fast Lapis can move, and while I assume its really fast as far as using wings in space is concerned(i'm not a rocket scientist, but I'm gonna assume wings normally do next to nothing in the vacuum of space) I imagine it will still take her quite a while to get anywhere... at best there is a nearby planet with a teleport pad to the home world. Of course they could just say gem magic and say she got anywhere she needed to be whenever she needed to be there, so who knows?

KiN0

It's a great show with some rewarding pay offs in plot and character development. The first few episodes weren't that enjoyable for me but they are necessary for appreciating some of the later revelations. You could probably get away with starting from the middle of season one but I would not recommend it.

jwk94

Peridot says that something called 'The Red Eye' didn't report them, and that the records claimed all Gems on Earth were wiped out.

So it's less like they were forgotten and more like they were assumed dead.

Also, the Crystal Gems mentioned that they'd never seen Peridot(during her first appearance) before. So her not knowing them, plus the way she refers to records of Earth rather than any first-hand experience, makes it seem like she just wasn't around for whatever big event occurred all those years ago.

Maybe she's a (relatively) new Gem? By which I mean she's younger than whatever happened on Earth. Either that, or the Gems who weren't on Earth(they've apparently got plenty of other planets after all) had no idea what actually went on.

Is the Red Eye the thing they blew up with Rose's Light Cannon?

EDIT:
IT IS!!!!!!!!
http://steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Eye

Besides what's been mentioned, I loved the delivery of, "We can't keep destroying them forever... well, we can, but I don't want to."

vypek

They're literally just rocks, but it appears they all take a humanoid, female form.

Are they just rocks though? Isn't there something biological about them? I mean, one of them had a half-human child. Unless they can just explain that with "magic"

We already have seen all of the Crystal Gems fused together, though, albeit in an action-free episode.

Yeah, wish we saw Alexandrite fight

KiN0

Are they just rocks though? Isn't there something biological about them? I mean, one of them had a half-human child. Unless they can just explain that with "magic"

Their bodies do have biological properties. I mean, pearl had to retreat into her gem after her body was damaged. Major spoilers for an anime series below

The gems are essentially like magical girls in Madoka Magica. Their gems are their real selves while their "bodies" allow them to move and interact with the world

TheOGB

Banned
Well yeah, Greg was the human half, and Rose gave up her material form so Steven could "inherit" her gem. I mean, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My god next week is gonna be so good

vypek

Their bodies do have biological properties. I mean, pearl had to retreat into her gem after her body was damaged. Major spoilers for an anime series below

The gems are essentially like magical girls in Madoka Magica. Their gems are their real selves while their "bodies" allow them to move and interact with the world

Well yeah, Greg was the human half, and Rose gave up her material form so Steven could "inherit" her gem. I mean, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My god next week is gonna be so good

Yeah...definitely need more answers. Lol. I'm really interested in their history and how they're going to set the rules for how "gems" work. For Rose to be impregnated makes me feel there is more to gems than just rocks. Maybe its just a result of the shape they take on. idk

Peridot freaking out was funny and what the heck 'wiped out' the other gems of Earth. Also, Amethyst gooped out and messing with Pearl was comforting to see after last week's episode. Need a gif of that.

Toxi

Banned
Damn, Peridot is cold.

I'd watch it from the start just so you can get a handle on the setting and characters before it goes into full world-building mode. The episodes are short, you can marathon it quickly.

Peridot was just sending the droids to repair the warp pad (And later, to turn on the kindergarten).

I get the feeling Lapis Lazuli isn't really involved with the homeworld gems' plans beyond wanting to get home.

That episode was so good; the part where the Gems reveal themselves to Peridot had me on the edge of my seat!
Plus, Steven's brief interaction with her was really well-done...it's like he was trying to play it cool but still came off as complete dweeb, I love it.
lol

Next week is going to be good.
Good indication on what that two-parter will be now on Thursday.
tumblr_nkpwayMMRP1smn4pqo1_1280.jpg

stevencrewniverse

I'm so hyped!

Edit: Thursday looks like it's going to be the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom