• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Steam to Allow Game Borrowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valnen

I wonder if someone at Valve cooked this up over the weekend just to prove you can have a digital sharing system without a 24-hour check in.

It's possible that it's something they've wanted to do for a long time and with Microsoft now possibly doing it they feel now's the time.

It could also be possible they'll only allow this if the borrower is online. I can't see how it would work otherwise.

Damian.

Banned
ron-paul.gif

This may lead to some very great things.

So it has anything to do with Steam how then?

People seem to have no problem defending the Xbox One's used policies by comparing it to Steam.

The point is giving consumers more flexibility instead of reducing it.

I can't comment about the Family Plan because I think I've heard/read 10,000 versions of it at this point.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
This may pressure Sony to do the same. Sony hasn't said much about their digital policy so far, but the tacit assumption is that it will be the status quo. Game sharing/borrowing of your digital library is thus far, the only good thing out of Xbone's current policies.

XboxOne does this...

Well... they don't. But that's not entirely fair to say because we don't know what Steam's version is going to look like.

As it is, you're very limited on xbone on who, what, and when you can share... 10 people on your friends/family and only if they've been on your friend's list at least 30 days... and oh yeah, you can only trade a game once.

Swifty

I wonder how they'll do it then. Clearly the other person has to be online otherwise how would they get the message that they're about to be kicked off.
I'm assuming if you're not the buyer of the game, you have to be online in order to have the rights to play while the original buyer doesn't have to be?

I guess that opens up the possibility of the buyer going into offline mode, Steam sees they're not online and let's the borrower play as well.

Perhaps that case sounds like the worst thing ever to Microsoft which is why they want the 24-hour check in, but I'm not sure if that's too much of a disincentive to Valve.

KarmaCow

What I want to know is.. Who randomly decided to look in that file just in case something came up? :L

Hope it's implemented

There are tons of people who look at stuff that gets changed in updates so it's just a matter of time rather then if it will be seen.

Enectic

Banned
Well... they don't. But that's not entirely fair to say because we don't know what Steam's version is going to look like.

As it is, you're very limited on xbone on who, what, and when you can share... 10 people on your friends/family and only if they've been on your friend's list at least 30 days... and oh yeah, you can only trade a game once.

Eh, I think you got a few things mixed.

According to everything we've heard so far the 30 day limit is not required for the "Family" group. The 30 day limit is only when giving a PHYSICAL copy of a game to a friend. The "trading once" has nothing to do with game sharing.

NIGHT-

In this case (and pretty much only in this case), Valve would be the ones playing catchup to Microsoft.

... Unless it launches before the XBone itself launches, so Microsoft may have had the idea first but, er, lemme get back to you on that.

Achievements.

Bluth54

I wonder if someone at Valve cooked this up over the weekend just to prove you can have a digital sharing system without a 24-hour check in.

I imagine that something like this would have to have been in the works for awhile since Valve would need to modify/update the contracts they have with publishers.

I'm lost. explain please.

Ok so you've got physical right? Physical games as of now can be traded to your friends, sold to whomever, lent or borrowed to whomever, etc.

Microsoft is trying to RESTRICT this, a negative.

Valve is taking digital copies, which are currently MORE RESTRICTIVE and are making them MORE FLEXIBLE, which is positive.

Does that make more sense?

I'm not sure how "sharing" digital content without some kind of check in can be done. According to the reports I've read when you're sharing a game on Xbox One the check in is every hour.

I have Game X. When I lend Game X to my friend it gets taken off my list. Through the magic of Steam when my friend downloads Game X it keeps a record of it's original owner. Once my friend is done with Game X he "gives" the game back to me, it gets taken off his list and is put back on mine.

I don't see why you would need 24 hour/1 hour check-ins.

Eh, I think you got a few things mixed.

According to everything we've heard so far the 30 day limit is not required for the "Family" group. The 30 day limit is only when giving a PHYSICAL copy of a game to a friend.

I thought it was in general, that said, still being limited to the family group is a pretty big hit on who you can and can't let borrow.

Atomski

If rumor is for real this could be quiet the news..

Kinda makes sense though with the Steam Box on the way, console gamers will want some way to share.

Enectic

Banned
I have Game X. When I lend Game X to my friend it gets taken off my list. Through the magic of Steam when my friend downloads Game X it keeps a record of it's original owner. Once my friend is done with Game X he "gives" the game back to me, it gets taken off his list and is put back on mine.

But then you can basically give/sell/trade games to friends. He never has to give it back. Also how about if you have a crappy friend and he never gives it back. Sure it's possible but it sounds like it can be a messy process. You can "limit" the amount of time a game can be borrowed but I think that's just a bigger inconvenience.

But then you can basically give/sell/trade games to friends. He never has to give it back. Also how about if you have a crappy friend and he never gives it back. Sure it's possible but it sounds like it can be a messy process.

Based on the text, it seems that the owner has veto power over how long the borrower gets to play, so that's one issue down.

SPDIF

I thought it was in general, that said, still being limited to the family group is a pretty big hit on who you can and can't let borrow.

Is it? Would you really need to borrow multiple games to more than ten people at once? Also it's not like you're stuck with that same group of ten people forever.

Ok so you've got physical right? Physical games as of now can be traded to your friends, sold to whomever, lent or borrowed to whomever, etc.

Valve is taking digital copies, which are currently MORE RESTRICTIVE and are making them MORE FLEXIBLE, which is positive.

No, you're talking bullshit.

Grief.exe

But then you can basically give/sell/trade games to friends. He never has to give it back. Also how about if you have a crappy friend and he never gives it back. Sure it's possible but it sounds like it can be a messy process. You can "limit" the amount of time a game can be borrowed but I think that's just a bigger inconvenience.

It sounds like you still own the licence entirely.

If you want to play the game, then you boot it up and it kicks your friend off.

statham

no.

rrs

Cool addition for when it comes out.

And for those wondering what happens if you got the files for a game and don't own it, the name becomes grey and the play game button links you to the store page.

How will Steam know you are done if you are not online?

It doesn't, Valve trusts you not to abuse it.

AzerPhire

No, they are stripping freedom from physical media, and masquerading it as more free digital. But it is still very much locked down.

You mean the same thing as retail releases of Steam games? When you bought HL2 or any other Valve game in store it was just a license to register on Steam. Sure the disc could be used to install the game but after that it was useless.

Again same thing as above. Retail Steam games are extremely restricted, I can't lend them to friends, re-sell them or trade them in. Microsoft is moving towards the same digital account system that PC digital distribution systems currently use. I don't get why it is so hard for the majority of people to understand this.

And as it currently stands MS actually offers for more options to share and resell your games than Steam, Origin or GOG do. Sure Steam may announce something but MS has already laid out there plans. Sharing is possible, lending is possible and so is trading in.

TheExodu5

Banned
I hope this is true. I would certainly be less hesitant to buy titles around launch if I could lend to and borrow from friends.

Black-Box

Heretic

lol just stop dude.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member

wat

DTKT

Borrowed games probably won't work while offline. They need to be able to check if the game "owner" has taken back is copy.

What part am I still not communicating properly?

Microsoft is taking physical copies of games, and applying restrictions to them.
Valve is taking digital copies of games, and loosening restrictions to them.

If the Family Plan pans out, then they might be somewhat similar in the sense of digital, but the rhetoric on the Family Plan is still jumbled, and there's no terms/details on this setup yet, so you can't really comment on either of those just yet, which wasn't what I was trying to do, merely point that the general concept Microsoft was pushing was more restriction as part of their platform, while Valve would be loosening restrictions of their platform with something like this.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

You can buy boxed copies of Steam games. Once you register them on Steam you can't do any of the things you mentioned.

Enectic

Banned
It sounds like you still own the licence entirely.

If you want to play the game, then you boot it up and it kicks your friend off.

Another problem (I'm assuming only one person can play at a time) if there's no frequent license check is you run the risk of blocking other people you're sharing to from playing. What if your friend downloads game A but then logs off. Since he still has the game borrowed then how is someone else supposed to borrow the game?

Grief.exe

Another problem (I'm assuming only one person can play at a time) if there's no frequent license check is you run the risk of blocking other people you're sharing to from playing. What if your friend downloads game A but then logs off. Since he still has the game borrowed then how is someone else supposed to borrow the game?

Obviously we can't speculate to that extent based on three lines of code.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

You only need to be online when you want to declare you are done with the game. You don't need to check in every 24 hours. You can play the game for a month offline for example, and when you are done, you log on, tell steam you are done with the game, inform your bro, and your bro can log on to steam to retrieve his game. A perfect implementation of game sharing/borrowing, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom