• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 announced: "better in nearly every way" (The Verge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not specifically trying to source The Verge for all this stuff, but they're pretty quick on this info and pics

This time, the new Surface is all about refinement and polish. It's thinner, lighter, and faster thanks to Intel's latest chips. The screen is larger (now 12.3 inches), yet the device hasn't gotten any wider. And it showcases an incredibly sharp, pixel-dense resolution, just as Panos Panay boasted on stage. Microsoft says the Surface Pro 4 is 50 percent faster than Apple's MacBook Air and far speedier than its predecessor.

The things you use with Surface are also improved; the Surface Pen feels more fluid and responsive thanks to optimizations Microsoft has made to the display technology, and the keyboard is a dramatic leap over last year's. Keys are spaced out more like your typical laptop keyboard and the glass touchpad makes a world of difference. The front-facing camera can recognize you and log in thanks to Microsoft's Windows Hello feature, and there's also a fingerprint reader for more secure authentication. Elsewhere, the Surface Pro 4 largely looks the same as its predecessor, which isn't a bad thing. But carrying around the Surface Pen is more convenient since it just magnetically latches to the Surface's side.

Official MS page for Surface Pro 4

Features/specs
  • i5/i7: 1.73lbs (786g); m3: 1.69lbs (766g)
  • 8.45mm thin
  • 12.3" PixelSense™ / 2763 x 1824 (267 PPI) / 10 point multi-touch (note: they removed bezel to increase this from the 12" of the SP3)
  • Up to 9 hours of video playback
  • Full-size USB 3.0 port
  • microSD Card reader
  • Mini DisplayPort
  • 5.0 megapixel front-facing HD camera
  • 8.0 megapixel rear-facing autofocus camera with 1080p HD video recording
  • Surface Pen (included): magnetic attachment/dock to Surface Pro, 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity (SP3 was 256)
  • Surface Pro 4 Type Cover (not included): $130, compatible with SP3, fingerprint ID reader, laptop-quality keyboard/design, 40% larger glass trackpad, thinner overall design

Model info

ms8_2040.0.jpg
ms9_2040.0.jpg

ms5_2040.0.jpg
pro3_2040.0.jpg

FZZ

Banned
Reaaaaally hate how 8gb of RAM is 256gb internal storage exclusive.

Just give me i5/8gb ram/128gb storage I'll manage trust me Microsoft.

Alx

All previous Surfaces have needed a good way to attach the pen to the tablet, but I hope that magnetic thing is strong enough.
Anyway I think I'll be fine with my "old" Surfaces, the only feature I may be missing would be the "Hello" login, but that's more of a novelty (I actually like doing the secret gestures on my welcome picture to unlock my device).

I'm curious whether or not there will be an SP3 trade-in program. Would love to take advantage of that instead of selling on eBay.

Darkkn

Really not feeling the price tiering that they are doing here. 8Gb of RAM is must for me, but i would be fine with 128Gb of SSD storage. Basically the 1299$ model is the cheapest i would consider and that is too much :/

Maybe i'll grab SP3 if there are some good deals soon.

Really not feeling the price tiering that they are doing here. 8Gb of RAM is must for me, but i would be fine with 128Gb of SSD storage. Basically the 1299$ model is the cheapest i would consider and that is too much :/

Maybe i'll grab SP3 if there are some good deals soon.

The same dilemma I'm in. I want 8GB of RAM but I don't need 256 GBS of storage. =/

I picked up the base line Surface Pro 3 w/ 64GB storage and i3 processor for $630 and a type cover for $110. Clearly the type cover is going back for the new one, but do people think it's worth $270 to upgrade to the baseline Surface Pro 4? How's the m3 compared to the i3? $270 more in cost sounds a bit hard to justify. What do people think?

Also a heads up the i7 models don't ship till November 20th. I'm gonna hold out to see if they are an upgrade. The wording on the store page has something about 3D modeling only available on the i7. Might be different integrated graphics.

reKon

Banned
it's sort of evil that they aren't offering a 128GB/8GB ram model still.

oh well...

we still got the XPS 12 coming folks.. this isn't done yet.

Sony announced their new Vaio Surface clone, but starting price is at $2,100 so they can gtfo with that

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This and the "Book" look like really good products. I'm a happy Mac user when it comes to portable computers, but I'm very interested in the Surface series.

Looking forward to checking one out when they have them available in stores.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
it's sort of evil that they aren't offering a 128GB/8GB ram model still.

oh well...

we still got the XPS 12 coming folks.. this isn't done yet.

Sony announced their new Vaio Surface clone, but starting price is at $2,100 so they can gtfo with that

Yeah, seriously. 128/8 would be optimal. Really annoying that they aren't providing this option, but then again, Apple starts everything at 16g so I guess everyone is being non-friendly with the ram/hd options. So, 128/8 is 1299, which puts it pretty close to the SB but without a kb. I'll have to noodle on this.

Baseline isn't i3 and is $900? This seems like a worse value than the baseline surface pro 3. Unless the m3 is better than the i3. Still, its more expensive than the last baseline which is never good. I'll just keep my surface pro 3 and wait till the 4 is cheaper this time next year.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Given the pricing tiers of the Surface Book, I went with a SP4 at around the ~$1500 mark. i5 and 16GB of RAM is enough for what I intend to use it for, any serious power needs I would just use my desktop system.

question...since this has no LAN port, do the USB to LAN port converters work well? no driver issues?

I've used them, and yeah, they work well. It's just an NIC in a usb enclosure.

EDIT:
Eagerly awaiting pen impressions from digital artists. Come on!

Should be really good... the only issue people had with the SP3's was the less fine tuned pressure sensitivity, which this now has 1024 to match Wacom's anyway.

Reaaaaally hate how 8gb of RAM is 256gb internal storage exclusive.

Just give me i5/8gb ram/128gb storage I'll manage trust me Microsoft.
Why isn't this an option? This is exactly what I want but when you try to configure your options it blocks the lower storage amount out.

dhlt25

it's very nice that you can get 16GB even with the i5 model. I think I'll go with this instead of the surface book.

Futureman

Should be really good... the only issue people had with the SP3's was the less fine tuned pressure sensitivity, which this now has 1024 to match Wacom's anyway.

My main issue is when slowly drawing diagonal lines, you get really wobbly line art. It's a well known limitation with the N-Trig tech they started using in the SP3.

I'm wondering if:

A) it's fixed?

and

B) if you buy the new pen, does it fix the issue w/ a SP3?

The Surface team did an AMA earlier this year and they said:

"One of the improvement just involves boosting the voltage of the pen."

so I'm hoping that means I can just buy the new pen and get better lines!

JesseZao

I'm in for one maybe early next year if reviews are solid. I want that 8g RAM, so I guess they'll force the 256gig SSD down my throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom