• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

HowZatOZ

Banned
Amazing. Absolutely amazing. Marvel have gained me back after the meh of Civil War and all it took was Baby Groot. I actually had tears and as Drax would put it "emotion" towards the end, was fucking brutal to the heart and I have never seen Marvel go like that.

Also, holy shit Stallone.

Renpatsu

Actually speaking of Drax, I found the scene where he reminisces to Mantis about his daughter and upon her touching him you see reflected upon her face the most intense sadness to be incredibly affecting. It was already smart to pair Mantis with Drax, but using her abilities to lay bare Drax's repressed emotional turmoil while he sits there stoically is such a powerful visual.

Rlan

I agree with the middling sentiment of the film. It kind of just went everywhere. You didn't feel like they were some force, they were just hired to kill the weird octoupus at the beginning and then just go on this Ego tangent.

Ego saying he gave his Mom cancer for no reason was just so weird. Why? Why do it? It made zero sense. They try to have some side stories with Rocket & Quill but it all kind of doesn't really go anywhere.

Thought Yondu was cool (Though very confused by the initial scene with Stallone). Drax is the weird comedy character of the film. Despite being the "muscle" he does very little of it after the first fight. Goes from "not understanding metaphors" in the original film to guy who just laughs at 110% volume.

Quill kind of meanders around and doesn't do much through most of the film. I love that he gets a new piece of musical equipment
A Zune MP3 player with 300 songs

It felt like Avengers 2 to me. Lots of talk of all this grand overarching story of the Marvel Universe with something that could be a big game changer, to being a villian of the week that's dead.

Replicant

Ego saying he gave his Mom cancer for no reason was just so weird. Why? Why do it? It made zero sense. They try to have some side stories with Rocket & Quill but it all kind of doesn't really go anywhere.

They did say why: he genuinely like her and like any psychopath, this is a big nope because it'll ruin his world seeding plan and he'll instead playing human with her. He knew unless he got rid of her, he'll fall for real.

Rocket's story also got resolved. Rocket is similar to Ego except that he tries to drive people away before they reject him and not because of some world conquering ambition. Just like Yondu, Rocket got left behind so many times that when someone genuinely cares about him, he's afraid he'll eventually lose them. So why not drive them away first?

I actually like a lot of the themes tackled in this film. They just feel a bit scattered and need a bit more focus. But family and friendship are major theme here.

Replicant

Spoil me, does Nebula become a member of the crew by the end?

Kind of no atm but I don't think she'll be antagonist to GOTG anymore. She seems to have finally reach a peace understanding with Gamora.

But please welcome our new Gardens of the Galaxy member, Mantis!

Kind of no atm but I don't think she'll be antagonist to GOTG anymore. She seems to have finally reach a peace understanding with Gamora.

But please welcome our new Gardens of the Galaxy member, Mantis!

IIRC, Nebula had a role to play in the first IF story arc. It wouldn't surprise me if that role was there again, albeit slightly altered.

Just done watching it.
It's okay imo. I enjoy most part of it.
There was some pacing issues. The middle part kinda drags on and some scenes felt forced or way too cheesy.
The ending though I kinda felt emotional or maybe because I could somehow relate with Peter, plus the song playing in the end just helps in the atmosphere.
Solid 8/10 for me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Actually speaking of Drax, I found the scene where he reminisces to Mantis about his daughter and upon her touching him you see reflected upon her face the most intense sadness to be incredibly affecting. It was already smart to pair Mantis with Drax, but using her abilities to lay bare Drax's repressed emotional turmoil while he sits there stoically is such a powerful visual.

Yeah this scene I agree is the best of the film. While I don't mind the "I say what I feel" stuff they did as they still had genuine showing of emotions (i.e. why Yondu had to spit out what Rocket's feeling - I mean get it that it's for the audience, but I feel like it's too much saying/explaining), that scene with Mantis and Drax was perfect because it had no explanations, just showing after Drax saying that the pools remind him of his daughter and Mantis' powers doing the rest.

Honestly they could trim some fat like Baby Groot's antics and some of the banter in the middle, and this would have been a perfect film.

On the warp jumps though, I thought it was a Hulk war thing going on?

Just got back from seeing it and I certainly didnt expect Yondu's impact would be that huge towards the end, the way the movie turned out was not quite what I expected, was kinda expecting him to become a regular member when the movie ends and the team gets bigger with Nebula joining as well... and for some reason I just lost it when that Cat Stevens song came up and the tears went fallin.

Dalek

Just got back from seeing it and I certainly didnt expect Yondu's impact would be that huge towards the end, the way the movie turned out was not quite what I expected, was kinda expecting him to become a regular member when the movie ends and the team gets bigger with Nebula joining as well... and for some reason I just lost it when that Cat Stevens song came up and the tears went fallin.

What is the context of the scene when the song plays? That's my favorite Cat Stevens song.

What is the context of the scene when the song plays? That's my favorite Cat Stevens song.
Just as what was posted above, the film also showed a flashback of a younger Quill being taught by Yondu how to fire a gun, and also just a few scenes earlier Yondu revealed the truth why he never turned Quill over to Ego.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Whats the team that formed at the end?

So adam warlock confirmed?

Surprise to see the watcher
And the groot in his teenage phrase...

Also the ball throwing scene between peter quill and his father is rather cheesy

NotLiquid

I actually cried at the end. And I haven't done that with any Marvel movie.

The story isn't particularly super eventful but James Gunn earned every single emotion from me with this movie. It almost feels like this was more of a dramedy than an action movie, and it's the kind of down-to-earth movie I respect so much despite it taking place in the infinite canvas of space.

I remember Film Crit Hulk wrote a huge analysis on Guardians and how the humor in the movie is so potent and necessary because it's clear the humor is expertly treated as a coping mechanism for a lot of these characters.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2014/08...-of-the-galaxy-and-the-art-of-constructing-jo
The core difference in Guardians is that almost every one of these bits of rhetoric is then undercut by a joke. Like when Groot delivers his one repeated "I am Groot!" line as Rocket miraculously understands / reacts / and translates back with complexity. Then there's the moment where Groot supports Peter and Peter lauds him for it, only to be undercut when they see Groot vacantly eating flower off his own arm. Then there's the discussion on the percentage of the plan, or the great moment where Drax admits he wasn't listening, or the debate over Rocket's fake laugh. When you look at the scene structurally, you realize the real obstacle in the scene isn't the magnitude of their decision before them... It's the jokes. Everytime they try to accomplish something, they joke it away. But remember! The jokes come from character, right? So you then realized they are using a comedy roundtable to showcase that real obstacle to them making this heroic decision is each other and each others' perspective. Which is exactly why the scene works like gangbusters. It's perfect conflict-oriented storytelling through humor alone. Every line is just a character coming at another with perspective, spitting venom, and inverting our expectations while somehow being completely straight within the reality of the moment. And best of all, the scene has one big emotional exchange left in the tank for when it finally turns with a moment of surprising honesty. Suddenly, the film gets real real and Rocket expresses to the truth at the center of all these "Rallying the heroes" scenes we've seen time and time again, all by saying "... You are asking us to die." and when that fact hits them, there's no jokes. Just the meaning. And it's free to sit there and hit us for real.

And I think Guardians 2 ultimately continues with this kind of mentality, especially so when it comes to Star-Lord and Rocket's individual arcs throughout the entire movie. It's not pointless wit for wit's sake like Avengers 2. It all serves a point.

God damn, Yondu was so good in this movie. Every single time someone calls for a "death" in the MCU I'm like "only do it if your story has worked to earn it", and I'm glad that now that the MCU has finally done it, I felt every second of that choice. He didn't die just for the sake of dying.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just came back. James Gunn proved himself with GotG 1, but 2 may be even better. Holy shit this movie, so many highlights.

If you don't like this movie, you don't have a soul, that simple

Gunn, you magnificent bastard.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Watched it last night with the company.

Overall, I was entertained, but it wasn't as good as the first one. Some really nice visuals, jokes, action, and surprise cameos. But it often tried too hard, had inconsistent pacing and tone, and felt a bit... muddled.

Context: The first Guardians and Ant Man are my favourite Marvel films. I find most of the rest of them "average" with no desire to rewatch.

NotLiquid

I'm actually happy this movie didn't tie much into anything notably MCU related.

"Franchise maintenance" is such a catch-all complaint to the entire enterprise at this point that I can respect when the movie tries to be it's own self contained thing about characters coming to grips with themselves. It feels distinctly different from other MCU movies and I think that's why people might be more mixed on it. It's a very casual movie and, looking back at it, it's going to be kind of amazing to see if this movie makes a shit ton of money since there's not a lot of "major" action scenes in the movie. It's a different kind of summer blockbuster.

Weird - plenty of people liked to say the previous movie was the modern equivalent of a Star Wars-esque space opera, but the sequel feels like it leans more towards Star Trek - in a good way, mind you. I wanna see what RedLetterMedia think of this, particularly Mike who is a huge Star Trek fan.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Whats the team that formed at the end?

So adam warlock confirmed?

Surprise to see the watcher
And the groot in his teenage phrase...

Also the ball throwing scene between peter quill and his father is rather cheesy

in the comics they're Guardians of the Galaxy too iirc

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Just saw it, it was cool.

That's it, just cool. I'm not really liking the direction cosmic marvel is going, but I can enjoy it as is.
Guardians 3 is probably going to feel quite "empty" unless there are some drastic changes.

Replicant

I've been mulling over why this feels off to me despite the awesome action scenes and some good character development in this. I think it's because this feels like a direct continuation of the first one. This one ties up all of the lose threads from the first one that never got resolved because they had Ronan to deal with and to include everything in here will probably make the first film a 4 hour movie.

But as a result of separating the lose ends, they end up with some padding in this film (similar to HP: Deathly Hallows Pt.1) while finally resolving the leftover stories from the first one. In some ways, I guess it's fitting that this is called GoTG Vol.2 instead of given a separate title of its own (ie: Thor: Ragnarok) even if that wasn't the intention.

I also feel that Ego is not a big enough threat for a second film. But then again he was only meant to tie up the lose end from the first film. The song used in the opening bugs me too. It's not as great as "Come and Get Your Love". Plus, Baby Groot felt unnecessary in that scene.

The Giant

Banned
Isn't The Watchers part of the FF4 rights at Fox? or did Fox give back various rights to characters when they wanted the X Men tv rights?

Renpatsu

Does Mantis get any fight scenes?
Mantis isn't much of a fighter in this incarnation. She's more like an innocent child. That said she plays a role in the climactic battle.

Edit: Given what we find out about Ego's perspective on life outside of his own Mantis' admission that she's more like a useful pet than a daughter or a companion to Ego is even more sad. Honestly more than any other Marvel movie Guardians doubles down on the theme of broken individuals finding their place together as a makeshift family.

I wonder what role Stallone Ravager (which remind me of space expendables, lol) will have in future MCU.

I doubt they have plan to make spin off GoTG movie with Old Ravager team. my guess is they will be the army stand in for the big battle with Thanos army in Avengers 3 or 4. with Xandar having a huge chance to be demolished by Thanos soon, they'll need a new army sized group to save the day.

Top Bottom